UA-100768763-1 Jump to content

Wave 43? - Spidey Comic-based

fwoosheyman

The only thing that JJJ is good for is a Hammer Head Quick Custom.

The original JJJ minimate was awesome! Loved the cigar hand he had!

Cigar hand on JJJ? There was the Chameleon variant JJJ, and the cigar hand with King Pin but not JJJ. Did I miss one somewhere along the way?

rocket is right, Jameson didn't have a cigar hand, though highass may also have a point in there. The suit is perfect for Hammerhead, though the new head isn't, its a perfect JJJ head.

I'm thinking, stick this new head on the GB Mayor body, with the paper and cigar from Kingpin, while sticking the old big JJJ slip-on head, onto this new blue suit body, and remove the moustache. That's a good enough Hammerhead for me.

• Replies 884
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

While I applaud DST for trying something new with their LCS waves to boost sales, I think this wave is going to sell like wheatcakes.

My LCS's don't even order minimates anymore, because sales were low. The owners complained that minimates could be purchased "at Target" so why carry them? (clearly he didn't know it was TRU only these days)

Story themed waves that don't cross over with TRU is a great idea to try and generate more LCS sales, this just doesn't seem like the right story to start the experiment off with...

And isn't anyone going to complain about two previous variant figures being re-released int his wave? I know someone is ready to pounce on this...

I really want to, but honestly, what's the point? You guys know it, Chuck and Zach aren't listening, and I've already resigned myself to buy the whole wave as usual, so really I can't seem to muster up the energy the fight off corruption stupidity lazy whatever.

I do the vast majority of my Minimate buying online. I'll occasionally pick up a boxset or something at the LCS, but for waves, it's just easier and safer to preorder through a trusted, fan-favorite, member-operated website. That said, DST ships 'mates from Olive Branch, MS, which is part of the Memphis metro-area. I've always felt weird about getting a package from across the country when the contents are coming from just a couple miles away. You know what they say about someone with a large eco-footprint, right?

My daughter (11) cringed when she heard me listen to Nirvana on the radio. She said the music sounded so old, and then asked it was The Beatles. Face it gents, all music pre-2001 is now considered an Oldie.

JJJ is awesome! Daredevil tomorrow.

Waitta sec here, Jatta: your daughter's ELEVEN and she can't tell the difference between the Beatles and Nirvana!? My daughter's four and she knows who the Beatles are (well, she knows they sing "Yellow Submarine"). Clearly, you've failed as a parent. Does she at least know the difference between Batman and Spider-Man?

While I applaud DST for trying something new with their LCS waves to boost sales, I think this wave is going to sell like wheatcakes.

My LCS's don't even order minimates anymore, because sales were low. The owners complained that minimates could be purchased "at Target" so why carry them? (clearly he didn't know it was TRU only these days)

Story themed waves that don't cross over with TRU is a great idea to try and generate more LCS sales, this just doesn't seem like the right story to start the experiment off with...

Same thing happened at my store. :sad:

My daughter (11) cringed when she heard me listen to Nirvana on the radio. She said the music sounded so old, and then asked it was The Beatles. Face it gents, all music pre-2001 is now considered an Oldie.

Waitta sec here, Jatta: your daughter's ELEVEN and she can't tell the difference between the Beatles and Nirvana!? My daughter's four and she knows who the Beatles are (well, she knows they sing "Yellow Submarine"). Clearly, you've failed as a parent. Does she at least know the difference between Batman and Spider-Man?

Alas, she is a lost cause. She knows the plot intricacies of ANT Farm and Shake It Up but pre-2001 rock music is noise to her. My only hope is Selena Gomez does a cover of "Smells Like Teen Spirit". And no unless Peter Parker is a character on Wizards of Waverly Place, she's never before heard the name.

And isn't anyone going to complain about two previous variant figures being re-released int his wave? I know someone is ready to pounce on this...

I really want to, but honestly, what's the point? You guys know it, Chuck and Zach aren't listening, and I've already resigned myself to buy the whole wave as usual, so really I can't seem to muster up the energy the fight off corruption stupidity lazy whatever.

Can't go with everything you said there corruption & stupidity :down: Dino but as I've often said...you often say what I'm thinking which is unsettling. Unfortunately the ol' variant argument is a myth because most of the early Marvel waves' variants are lazy head swaps or a change in plastic-pigmentation ....laziest of all was the original JJJ mask .

Until now.

I'll concede it's a nice head with nice hair & a broadsheet but I bought Minimates for innovation not bloody head-swap fodder.

Um, JJJ is a guy in a suit with a bad haircut and moustache. Sometimes he takes off his jacket. Sometimes he wears a vest. Nothing much to innovate on this one. YMMV

Not sure they could include the cigar anymore, promoting smoking to the youngsters and all.

I pray DST goes all out and includes a separate vest piece (GB New York Mayor's) and a second set of arms with the rolled up sleeves for making an even grumpier version of JJJ.

Seconded! I was hoping for a waist-coat JJJ too.

@ TENIME_art:

02.jpg

01.jpg

detail.jpg

\ :sad:

I don't know. I don't think Chuck (and especially Zach) aren't listening. I just think we're losing sight of the fact that they have their own methods of why they release the things that they do. These are licensed properties and who knows how many different production and sales Suits they have to answer to for everything they make? We'd all like to be in on the planning, but unfortunately we can't be. I'm really trying to be optimistic about minimates these days, even though not everything released tickles my fancy, because we HAVE been getting some wonderful new characters. Hopefully that will continue.

If I can be hopeful about stuff, I hope others can too. After all, I'm still willing to lose a finger if it means getting Kang made and I've been buying minimates since Series 1... all through the dry spell where it didn't look like we'd get any more ever again, through all the various re-hashes that we didn't *really* need. I've been through it all.

I certainly think they care about us more than DCD ever did. They sure listen better, too.

Edited by Mystery Man

I still think there's a balance DST has yet to really get a grip on, between new, rehash and A-list, but I think anyone who expected them to never revisit Spider-Man's second most iconic look was deluding themselves. Some of DST's reasoning behind their decisions is specious, but they still try harder than a lot of companies to accomodate both old and new fans, even if it isn't to the degree I would like at times.

I can't grumble that important characters aren't getting made just because the important characters the I LIKE aren't always being made.

Before Minimates, I seriously can not remember a Comic JJJ being made since the spiderman toybiz figures of the 90's. DST's last attempt was about 7 years ago too. And i don't know if i ever remember an Aunt May toy from any line!

You can't please everyone all of the time, but DST does a pretty good job of please a lot of people most of the time.

Not everywave will be 100% awesome for every collectoer, but i reckon most of us would be hard pressed to find more than one wave where we gave a big thumbs down to every figure in it.

Do i want Toad? Do i want Banshee? Do i want Winter Soldier? Yes, yes & yes.

But i also want SHIELD agents & Sin Eater :thumbsup:

EDIT: Ok - so Aunt May DID have a 'Famous Covers' figure back in the day :P

Alas, she is a lost cause. She knows the plot intricacies of ANT Farm and Shake It Up but pre-2001 rock music is noise to her. My only hope is Selena Gomez does a cover of "Smells Like Teen Spirit". And no unless Peter Parker is a character on Wizards of Waverly Place, she's never before heard the name.

That... that will never happen to my daughter. :unsure:

I can't grumble that important characters aren't getting made just because the important characters the I LIKE aren't always being made.

Before Minimates, I seriously can not remember a Comic JJJ being made since the spiderman toybiz figures of the 90's. DST's last attempt was about 7 years ago too. And i don't know if i ever remember an Aunt May toy from any line!

You can't please everyone all of the time, but DST does a pretty good job of please a lot of people most of the time.

Not everywave will be 100% awesome for every collectoer, but i reckon most of us would be hard pressed to find more than one wave where we gave a big thumbs down to every figure in it.

Do i want Toad? Do i want Banshee? Do i want Winter Soldier? Yes, yes & yes.

But i also want SHIELD agents & Sin Eater :thumbsup:

EDIT: Ok - so Aunt May DID have a 'Famous Covers' figure back in the day :P

Well said, Nessex! I too think that DST does more right then wrong. At least they are looking for creative ways to reuse the big names, though some of them (like "Captain America in a Jacket") are lamer then others. There's nothing wrong with trying to improve your previous attempts at characters like the Hulk and the Thing either. And, with upcoming figures like Armin Zola and MODOK (can't wait can't wait can't wait!!!) they've shown a real willingness to push themselves. My biggest complaint with DST is that they tend to ignore a character or segment of the Marvel Universe, then overdo said character or segment (such as the glut of X-Men stuff in the last year; I can only hope the Avengers get the same treatment next year). But they listen and give us pretty straight answers to our questions, which is as much as you can ask, I think.

Oh, and about Jonah: stick a Bucky head and a fedora on that body, and you've got a pretty swell Spirit quick custom. :thumbsup: