UA-100768763-1 Jump to content

Shockini news.

Those Ruby Reds were produced in very small numbers hopefully although they do appear now & again on ebay & are undoubtedly factory -seconds. These factory-seconds are indistinguishable from the retail versions in every respect ....they're all of the same quality :whistling:

As many of you know I'm not an 'opener' ,I like to keep my toys in perfect condition in perfect packaging & for this very reason I decided to base my Shockini Price Guide on NIB ....not in box....I throw the contents away & just keep the packaging. It amuses me when I see people selling the contents of the boxes on ebay , WTF would anybody do with them? :lol:

Anyway .....little did you know that a 'Ruby Red' means quite a lot to a Devon farmer :yes:

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 1 month later...

To those who might not be following along, things aren't looking good in the ol' Shockini Superverse:

http://tonyzcustomz.com/2011/05/my-shocking-problem/

The Fwoosh has things pretty well covered, so I'm going to post to the page where the Shockinis really start to hit the fan, and those interested can read on from there:

http://thefwoosh.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=91&t=64913&start=1320

I've found Shocker Toys to be fascinating viewing for a while now, but it looks like Geoff may be finally getting his comeuppance. It's a shame, because I really would have liked to have seen some of the toys he's promised. Anyway, this whole business has made me glad that we here in the MMMV are supporting a reputable company. Sure, they haven't made Kang, but at least they haven't taken preorders on him!

What's odd is the Shocker Toys forum is currently unavailable-surely a coincedence. :rolleyes:

Without much knowledge of what was going on with anything Shocker Toys, I actually pre-ordered two of the Tick exclusives off of their site a couple of months ago. Even though it was a pre-order, I had to pay up front for them. One of the figures has been released already, but it shipped over a month after it was in stock. I'm doubting I'll ever see the other one and it's too late to ever go through Paypal if it comes to that. What bothered me the most at the time is that they were advertising 2010 SDCC exclusives, but I didn't know until after the fact that the 2010 SDCC exclusives still hadn't been released in the late winter of 2011. The site doesn't inform you of that kind of stuff or give any idea when they would ship. At least I got one figure out of it. :sad:

I always smile when thinking of Shocker Toys, purely because of the fact that I met 'Geoff' & his aides whilst staying in the same hotel during SDCC 2008 ....I've told the story before......but there is an underlying nastiness about him which isn't amusing.

I'd be very interested to hear it, Rob, as I'm always up for a good Shocker story. If you don't want to share it in public, perhaps a PM? :yes:

What's odd is the Shocker Toys forum is currently unavailable-surely a coincedence. :rolleyes:

Without much knowledge of what was going on with anything Shocker Toys, I actually pre-ordered two of the Tick exclusives off of their site a couple of months ago. Even though it was a pre-order, I had to pay up front for them. One of the figures has been released already, but it shipped over a month after it was in stock. I'm doubting I'll ever see the other one and it's too late to ever go through Paypal if it comes to that. What bothered me the most at the time is that they were advertising 2010 SDCC exclusives, but I didn't know until after the fact that the 2010 SDCC exclusives still hadn't been released in the late winter of 2011. The site doesn't inform you of that kind of stuff or give any idea when they would ship. At least I got one figure out of it. :sad:

If you read a bit on the Fwoosh thread, groundhog, you'll see that Shocker's now offering refunds for unshipped product. Basically, three different online communities (Fwoosh, Bleeding Cool, and Gail Simone's patch on the Bendis Boards) have been following Shocker and are working to get them thrown out of SDCC this year for selling exclusives last year and still not delivering. Geoff's tried to claim that last year's figures were just summer exclusives that he happened to presell at San Diego, and not named Comic-Con exclusives, but there's plenty of evidence in his own forums to dispute that, which is probably why he shut them down. Yeah, I've become a little too interested in this. :blush:

EDIT: I should add that the comics watchdog group Unscrewed.com is currently collecting information from anyone that has paid Shocker for items not yet received. You can send them here:

shocker@unscrewedcomic.com

Edited by hellpop

Somehow Rob's telling of the story digitally doesn't do it full justice, having heard it first hand from Rob that morning, it's way better with all of the small embellishments of a real conversation. (Of course it might just have been his jetlag & funny country accent.)

As for Shocker and their current "predicament", I'm just going to say it really doesn't surprise me.

T.

p.s. to keep it minimate related I was actually present during conversation between AA staff from the days of yore(Adam and Donna) and someone at SDCC who asked them what made them decide to give shocker toys the license to sell blank minimates... needless to say it was the first they had heard of it and it was Jeff once again running his mouth pretending he was getting a license he didn't have to try and impress someone.

Somehow Rob's telling of the story digitally doesn't do it full justice, having heard it first hand from Rob that morning, it's way better with all of the small embellishments of a real conversation. (Of course it might just have been his jetlag & funny country accent.)

I'm sure it doesn't. It's a good story, though. :biggrin:

p.s. to keep it minimate related I was actually present during conversation between AA staff from the days of yore(Adam and Donna) and someone at SDCC who asked them what made them decide to give shocker toys the license to sell blank minimates... needless to say it was the first they had heard of it and it was Jeff once again running his mouth pretending he was getting a license he didn't have to try and impress someone.

It seems to me that the crux of Shocker's problems stem from trying to be a "real" toy company. If he were to say "look, I'd like to do a run of Hunter Rose figures, but I'll need preorders to do so", I think he would have gotten a lot of support. I probably would have put some money down under those circumstances. But his constant "they're on their way... oh, sorry, pirates attacked the boat" garbage just angered people.

The AA anecdote is great... I've often wondered how many of Geoff's licenses were real. Chuck's talked about how difficult it was to put together all those licenses for the Indiemates box set, and I have a hard time believing that this bozo's been able to get them for Grendel, Madman, the Tick, ect. Terry Moore confirmed in an interview with (I think) AFI that he wasn't paid anything by Shocker, but allowed the Katchoo figure to be made for the sake of having a Katchoo figure made. Geoff denied that, of course.

The one thing I think we can take from the Shocker debacle is that there is a audience for non-Marvel/DC toys, which I for one wish DST would step up and fill. I'd love to see a "Comics Select" line of figures supported by Minimate box sets for the likes of Grendel, Nexus and Hellboy.

I'd love to see a "Comics Select" line of figures supported by Minimate box sets for the likes of Grendel, Nexus and Hellboy.

Sorry, those characters have Y chromosomes and therefore cannot be indie-mated.

Sad but true. Although they had LCBH for a while. But that crashed after 2 waves.

• 4 weeks later...

I pre-ordered Shockini's Tick from BBTS, and just got this e-mail:

Hi - We have just received our shipment of Preview Tick, and have been alerted by the manufacturer that it only comes with the rusty Stop Sign, and that the other accessories shown in the preview picture will actually be coming either with other figures in the wave or else the send-in package. If you are no longer interested in this item, feel free to go to your BBTS account and cancel the pre-order at any time before the Friday 06-17-11, when we will be running the pre-orders. We thank you for your order, and apologize for the inconvenience.

• 1 month later...

I just stumbled across some new Shocker toys supposed licences. http://popculturezoo.com/2011/02/toy-fair-2011-shocker-toys-unviels-2011-line-up/

Its the Golden age stuff that caught my eye. I'm a big fan of the Project Super Powers comics and would love some Minimates on the licence. Not that I ever expect these Shocker Toys to ever come to light.