UA-100768763-1 Jump to content

Green Lantern Minimates

buttheadsmate

The new Green Lantern movie is on the horizon & it would have been brilliant that DST had had the opportunity to announce the huge news that a Green Lantern Minimates box set was being sold to coincide with the movie's release !

That isn't happening.

What is happening though is to bring an idea that I've had for bloody ages, to fruit ...... it begins today & anybody that wishes to join in is welcome.......anybody that is sceptical or cynical is also welcome but beware :angry: ...it's just a bit of fun & I'd like to keep it that way ;)

The premise of this thread is that it is hypothetical...it isn't happening but what if it was? There is only one rule to this thread which will obviously be flouted by the first nay-sayer hoping to derail it but I reserve the right (Mods willing) to apply the word 'arse' to them if they do ......the rule is 'believe it's real' :blink: That's right,believe it's real ......simple...just believe it's real. We're all adults here with an imagination otherwise we wouldn't be here so just believe for the sake of the exercise that it's true.

What's true??

DST have just announced that they will be producing a Green Lantern box set of four Minimates to coincide with the release of the movie 'Green Lantern'.

Just believe it's real.

What would your first reaction be ? This is real!

"What do they look like?" "TRU exclusive ?"

"Is this the beginning of a new run of DC Minimates?"

Believe it's real & this could be a lot of fun & may well get you closer to owning a Green Lantern Minimate for free.....sorry didn't I mention that ?

Get into the mode ...."Green Lantern Minimates have just been released"

Nobody should need an incentive ..............but I know you guys :D whether the thread dies within 24 hours or 24 days I'll ask the person who I decide has made the best effort to contribute to the thread to publicly acknowledge the receipt of his prize of a MIB Green Lantern/Star Sapphire (probably the currently most wanted Minimate set).

I will of course make sure this thread lasts longer than 24 hours :D

Soooooooooooooooooo......Green Lantern Minimates have just been announced .

I'm as surprised as I delighted that these have been announced... the Reynolds and Strong likenesses are particularly impressive. I'm disppointed we've not seen a Tomar-Re yet, as it'd be easily to throw together a comic QC.

I'm sure there are loads more to come, what with TrU waves, etc. (great... like I can affort to go hunting for those), so it'd be a little annoying if more 'new' characters are hard to come by... at least we get a Hector Hammond (albeit with a ridiculous looking new head sculpt... Mars Attacks mates on the way per chance?).

Overall... pretty good stuff, the bulky Kilowog seems to work better than the new Hulk, and I really like the reuse of the Ghostbusters ghost parts for Parallax (thought I can decide just how it will go down on here... mate of the year, or urrrgghhhh, my eyes, etc? I can never tell with this place).

Just having GL mates, and potentially more DC on the way is very sexy... shame this didn't happen a little earlier, who wouldn't have loved Dark Knight mates?!

EDIT - just looked at the pics again... is the variant meant to be 'lets get these pants off' Hal?

The likeness to Ryan Reynolds was somewhat lacking in the Wolverine movie Deadpool 'mate, but this one hit it out of the ballpark... I'll have to get several "lets get these pants off" Hal variants to make my QC's for my 2 Guys, A Girl And A Pizza Place set and my Just Friends set.

What I think is most ironic is how they truly nailed the "his mask looks painted on his face" look from the movie. It's a dead on likeness.

And I think DST is getting a little carried away with the metallic paint. I do realize that the movie costume has that "organic technology" look to it, and yes, it works here... but it seems like DST is just looking for any opportunity to use silver or gold paint nowadays. If/when the Dark Knight Rises mates come out, I'm fully expecting to be blinded by the sheen of Batman's utility belt when in the presence of any light whatsoever :P

The detail in the movie's costume designs makes for a lot of beautifully crafted sculpts in this line - I think that may be the big secret to why the new Hulk didn't translate as well as Hulkbuster Iron Man or this new Kilowog. Plain "skin" surfaces look a little off, whereas textured surfaces fill the bigger pieces better.

On the down side, I'm not sure if I like the bigger chest piece on Hal. Granted, it would probably look worse if he didn't have the big chest piece, since he'd have printed-on detailing whereas everyone else has sculpted detailing. But dangit, Hal isn't that bloated ... err... bulky.

Oh well, his hair is magnificent.

Did anyone catch these new photos? the lantern-powered accessories are hilarious! I can't wait to watch the scene where Hal slaps someone with that giant hand!

*EDIT - the link is down. looks like those photos were leaked too early... what is it with DST letting stuff slip and then removing it? from their own site, no less?

I think it's a gimmick.

Edited by Donny B

Yeah, really hard to beat that Deadpool Reynolds likeness :rolleyes:

Frankly, I'm sorry, but you guys are giving these figures too much credit by giving them any credit whatsoever. The sculpted parts are horrific, particularly on Kilowogg. You won't be able to move his limbs at all. But why Reynolds? Just stupid. And Parallax does look like a damn Ghostbuster ghost. I honestly hope he doesn't look that ridiculous in the movie.

The Reynolds likeness is OK, but nothing to write home about (he's a pretty generic looking guy, after all). The metallic paint actually makes them look more boring than flat paint would--which reinforces my dead horse whipping argument that Movie-Mates in general just don't work.

And I saw that Chuck just tweeted that we should "Guard ourselves for the army builder dump. And don't Rayne on our parade by telling us how Guy awful the figures are." Looks like more than the Minimate packages need a proof reader.

after that twitter post im more excited about the upcoming reveals than the boxset.

i love the look of that kilowog no matter what any of you say and i hope we get an abin sur out of this, also anyone else excited by the green lantern construct peices?

edit: these just showed up in AA's gallery section http://www.artasylum.com/gallery/page/search/

AAAANNNND their gone..... well on the bright side, kyle and guy look great and the manhunters are awsome

Edited by robomate

edit: these just showed up in AA's gallery section http://www.artasylum.com/gallery/page/search/

AAAANNNND their gone..... well on the bright side, kyle and guy look great and the manhunters are awsome

Son of a. . .!!! I go away for a few minutes and miss this altogether. Did anyone save these pics? I always get a different perspective on these after seeing the in-package pics.

Son of a. . .!!! I go away for a few minutes and miss this altogether. Did anyone save these pics? I always get a different perspective on these after seeing the in-package pics.

i apologise for not saving these but i have a pretty good memory so ill post details for anyone who cares. (after i search for someone who was smart enough to save pics) also the last pic confirmed something that will make alot of people here (including myself) VERY happy ;)

I'll just cover about 1/2 of the entire discussion here:

**rant on how we're getting movie mates rather than comic versions**

**rant on how the movie's gonna suck**

**whiny rant on how bad they look**

**pointless one-worded complaint**

**token "screw you dst" remark**

**token "well i doubt i'll find them if they're exclusive to tru, damn scalpers!" comment**

**one more nitpick/breakdown on why these suck**

so apearently the one image i thought i saved, i did not. but even without the photo im sure alot of people will be excited about....a classic comicbook wave to go along with the green lantern movie mates! and the poster confirms blackest night minimates! OH HAPPY DAY! :D

edit: sorry about typo's i was super excited when i wrote this

2nd edit: ok here are the details for anyone who didnt see the pics

army builder dump line-up:

manhunter

manhunter (battle damaged)

sinestro corps member

greenlanten corps member

hector hammond

green lantern (movie) wave 1:

hal jordan (with tons of constructs)/sinestro (in a movie-styled sinestro corps outfit)

pilot hal/ star saphire (movie styled)

guy gardner/ manhunter

kyle rayner/ manhunter

and from the classics poster we can confirm the reveal of:

a new hal, kilowog, abin sur, gaurdians, hector hammond, the shark, sinestro, galius zed, jhon stewart and a few more i couldnt remember

and their was a blackest night poster but it only showed blackhand holding bats skull and in front of him are the outlines of martian manhunter, superman, aquaman, firestorm and hawkgirl and hawkman in their black lantern gear (everything is black but the silver detailing)

hope this helps

Edited by robomate

After seeing the pics, I can only express how much of a hit these are going to be.

First: The army builder dump is gonna fly off the shelves! Packing multiple heads with the army builders is not only a great idea for collectors, but also for DST's business. We're gonna be buying the crap out of the extra Hal's and Sinesto's that would probably peg warm to do head swaps out the wazoo!

Second: HOLY CRAP FINALLY!!!!!!!!! Accessory packs are sure to sell quickly too. I wish we would have seen more diverse constructs rather than the same 3 in green and yellow, but we're also getting different constructs in the regular series, so that's fine. I'm sure DST will mold these in Red, Orange, etc when the comic waves roll out.

Third: I can see these being the most profitable mates for DST ever. Collectors LOVE green lantern armies, and with DCUC and DCD reaching 15-20 dollars per fig, $8 for two GL's is sure to win over a croud. Also, with the amount of product they're putting out, and with the crappy mattel figs coming, these are sure going to be popular for people getting their movie fig fix. The movie is going to do great, no matter what critics say, so sure as hell kids will buy the crap out of them too.

Great job DST! So glad you pursued this license, you won't regret it!

Oh boy... Rob you have any idea how many confused PM's (from those who don't read the first post properly) I'm gonna get from this? ;)

BTW movie GL minimates are a horrible idea, I have gut feeling this movie is going to suck horribly and minimates would end up like wave 15 lost to the midsts of time.

T.

i agree those accessorie packs are epic! also i expect even more construct sculpts to be in the comic wave. this could be the most profitable line DST has done yet! i know for one ill be spending an entire years worth of cash on these in weeks! ....my wallet had a heart attack at toyfair and now its having a stroke :P

I am surprised they didn't go with more clear parts to go with the look of the outfit. The mates in all their blockiness look more realistic than the images that have been released so far. I love the army builder dump just for the sheer QC friendliness of it. Now if only DC can figure out a way for all of their characters to be in one movieverse.

Wow ,I never expected that . I've always been more of a Marvel fan but I embraced the original DC Minimate series when I realised that they were at the time superior in many respects to the Marvel 'mates we were getting . My lack of knowledge for the character in question 'Green Lantern' initially confused the hell out of me . I eventually got my head around to the fact that there isn't just one....there are many Green Lanterns :rolleyes: From what I can gather, this new movie focuses on Hal Jordan the first human GL (Green Lantern) & his battle royale with his former mentor Sinestro. That's about the sum of knowledge I have for GL & I hope I've got that much right?

Not having seen the Minimate pictures I can't comment on the look of these characters but were there significant changes from the DC characters we already have? I read in Minimate Central review of the original Minimate Sinestro was that his forehead was way 'off' & that his costume was not really the one GL fans associate him with ,so was Sinestro in the pics & was he wearing the yellow suit? Damn I wish I could've seen those pictures !

My thanks especially to robomate for his info but can I confirm who we're getting in this movie box set........GL,Sinestro & who else........Abin Sur.Kilowog ?

Edited by buttheadsmate

Wow ,I never expected that . I've always been more of a Marvel fan but I embraced the original DC Minimate series when I realised that they were at the time superior in many respects to the Marvel 'mates we were getting . My lack of knowledge for the character in question 'Green Lantern' initially confused the hell out of me . I eventually got my head around to the fact that there isn't just one....there are many Green Lanterns :rolleyes: From what I can gather, this new movie focuses on Hal Jordan the first human GL (Green Lantern) & his battle royale with his former mentor Sinestro. That's about the sum of knowledge I have for GL & I hope I've got that much right?

Not having seen the Minimate pictures I can't comment on the look of these characters but were there significant changes from the DC characters we already have? I read in Minimate Central review of the original Minimate Sinestro was that his forehead was way 'off' & that his costume was not really the one GL fans associate him with ,so was Sinestro in the pics & was he wearing the yellow suit? Damn I wish I could've seen those pictures !

My thanks especially to robomate for his info but can I confirm who we're getting in this movie box set........GL,Sinestro & who else........Abin Sur.Kilowog ?

the boxset was (if im not mistaken) some sort of pumped up super powered hal, 'final battle' sinestro, kilowog and parallax. im still hoping they anounce abin sur as he is a very important part of GL mythology and he looks awsome in the movie. hope that helped

I just wrote out a long reply... and the computer crashed *sigh*

I'll summarise...

The Sinestro we get here does seem very much to be a proper Green Lantern, as this film is set before his arrest and fall from grace... and I disagree over the original DCD release, that was his proper, timeless villain outfit, which he wore as part of the Legion of Doom...not something which dates back all of 5years.

Accessory packs? thats new/strange... but I like the idea, and hope we get some of those new flight stands cast in green. I've not seen Abin Sur amongst the few pics still available, anyone? Perhaps they'll offer him up in MAX stuff... his ship (though, no doubt it'll just come with a jumpsuit Reynolds or something)... how about an F-16?

Delighted about the Manhunters... definitely going to be making some more comic accurate GLs from these movie mates.

Did I read that last big of the blof correctly... available from TrUs WORLDWIDE?

Pics or it didn't happen! ;)

Though from what hear, it sounds like these will look pretty close to their movie counterparts which I think is

a good thing.

Also I think using a clear dark green body with the rest of the details painted on sounds like it'll look sweet.

I wonder if the green will be the same as those ones they gave away at that con (with dark blue ones too) a

few years back.

Hopefully this will open the door for DST get the DC license back so we can start to see more DC character created again.

Otherwise I can't wait to get my hands on the new Hal minimate because I really like how he looks in the movie and I think it'll look really cool in minimate form. :)

I'm excited about the Yellow Lantern Arkillo 'tongue' accessory. I wish I could find a prototype picture.. but the thought of a minimate with a tongue hanging from a neckless reminds me of why I started collecting these beautiful things.

Great thread!

Vox

As you might know, I'm not a DC-guy, so I'm not overly enthusiastic about this. GL is basicly a vanilla mate, right? Nothing to write home about, I guess. And seeing that Kilowog is a bulked up figure is a letdown. As far as I know, DST has to stick to this 2"-only-rule only in terms of Marvel, right? So why bulk him up instead of getting back to the good old size-does-matter idea? You ask me, that's a missed opportunity. I do understand that there'd be costs for all the new scultings and molds - a bigger vanilla mate wouldn't do it tody, right? -, but they could've easily invested in something durable, right? There are more cool bulked up guys. And I don't see DC mates on the horizon. Yet. Getting the rights for this movie-line isn't the same as getting the license from DC direct, right?

Did I read that last big of the blof correctly... available from TrUs WORLDWIDE?

I won't count on that. It'd be great, but because of these restrictions at least on the European toy market, that won't happen. :(

Anyway, I don't want to rant about this without saying something positive. The tongue accessory? I can't wait to use it for a really cool Venom custom! (Any pics?) The whole idea of accessory packs is great! At least for us customizers. So, hell yeah, bring 'em on! :thumbsup:

for those who didnt know, clark will make a cameo in GL

That would be a nice way to establish DC's movie continuity... but didn't they wrap filiming on GL on August 6th? Henry Cavil was only cast for Superman a couple weeks ago. Either they did some very late filming additions in order to fit him in, or they have a different actor playing Clark for GL.

*coughHULKcough*