UA-100768763-1 Jump to content

Buttheadsmate's......

buttheadsmate

canadian geese = tons of poo

I wasn't imagining what I saw then :D I was going to comment on this but I thought I'd leave well alone but now you mention it what they leave behind doesn't seem to be directly proportional to their size . I'm fairly used to animal poo , but TBH this was instantly noticable :P

• Replies 159
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 months later...

We're experiencing the driest Spring in 50 years & although the water-level in the lake isn't actually dropping too much, it won't fill until we see some rain <_< Ironically the lack of rain hasn't really affected the growth of new grass and plants around the lake which is perhaps just as important as the water in it. There are small signs of life in the lake which is again encouraging & I'm tempted to transfer some trout fry from the river into the lake although this might be a bit too early....we'll see!

• 1 month later...

The driest Spring ever (fact!) has resulted in the lake dropping about 10 inches whilst the feed pipe from the fields hasn't dribbled for ages .

However it hasn't all been bad news because I've been able to compact the top of the dam & thence reseed it with grass & thankfully we are now having much needed showers which is helping things grow.......including the weeds. I doubt anybody wants horticultural lessons from a pseudo-farmer like myself but suffice to say that when you disturb pastureland..... Mr.Weeds Goes To Town . Bearing in mind I'm not in the US ....do you guys get dockleaves ,nettles & thistles ??? I'm especially interested in nettles because wherever I've been in the world I look for them & despite some of the weird fauna I've seen ,nettles don't seem to be as common as I'd thought. Nettles are very interesting & very useful but not round my bloody lake <_< Anyway I did my best to eradicate the weeds before they took over completely & I've also kept the sheep out of the area which again is a double-edged sword because now the grass is also going daft.

For the record I have little to do with the animals here because I let the farm to a real-farmer & he puts his stock on my farm whilst I do just about everything else & that's enough! :rolleyes: I hate sheep ...they stink & act stupid & just die for a laugh,literally . Cattle ,I like cattle ,they're mostly very calming in a weird way ........they smell as well but it's an altogether better stink . So in conclusion.... as you know already ...I know my shit.

Cattle are good for grass but sheep however are better....god's lawnmowers with a self-contained fertiliser processor but I can't afford to let either near the land surrounding the lake which is almost as important as the lake itself.

All this sounds again like I completely know what I'm doing.....I don't but I'm learning fast, as are the birds which swoop continuously now on the lake's surface taking in the insect life. I would concede that on the face of it little has happened yet.

post-638-0-70340200-1308311620_thumb.jpgpost-638-0-10264800-1308311655_thumb.jpgpost-638-0-98260100-1308311679_thumb.jpg

...and for those who are interested...Bumblebee Barn post-638-0-90817100-1308311927_thumb.jpg

So the lake itself is currently stagnant* in many respects but this is Devon & eventually it will rain 6 days out of seven & then it will pour....& the lake will fill :yes:

*did you see what I did there ?

Edited by buttheadsmate

The lake looks like it fits in with the area now that that some grass has grown around it. It'll be cool to finally see it full but I think progress has been made looking through this thread's pics. Keep up the good work!

And there's got to be a way for Calico Jack to sail those uncharted waters! :tongue:

Looks great. I don't know about dockleaves, but we've got nettles and thistles. I'll say this for thistles: the American goldfinch loves them. From spring through autumn I try to keep my bird feeders full of thistle seed so that there are always little goldfinches in my garden. I've thought about planting some thistle to encourage the little guys to establish permanent residence, but I figure it wouldn't be worth it. Anyway, the lake looks wonderful, and the barn is very nice. I'll say again that I'm jealous.

I'm glad someone has a use for thistles :biggrin: Nettles are a godsend for rheumatism sufferers ,I discovered this purely by accident when I realised that my hands improved after being stung on a regular basis,apparently the Romans were aware of this two thousand years ago when they introduced them to Britain! Did you know that the Germans made their uniforms out of nettle fibres during WW1*? Anyway nettles aren't too bad & are fascinating....at least to me :biggrin:

The masoned wall (Bob) is in fact new,Bumblebee has been extended & the original South facing stone wall was taken down & rebuilt in the position you now see it,if you check out the roof slates you can still see the join where the extension starts. I shan't be putting the house on ebay just yet ,I love it here but I do get wanderlust at times & that may mean selling it & moving to Badger Barn. Where's Badger Barn? That's another part of the story which I'll save for later ;)

If it makes you feel any better, we've had less than on inch of rain in 6 months. I've got an 8" crack in my back yard. One of my landscape timbers bowed completely upwards. There's fires running rampant. Even the weeds are dying! We need rain.

So, no, it's not just you. And, no, we don't have nettles. :)

Now that I have seen this image, I fear for my life, as should all others that have gazed upon it... Rob is planning the assassination of us all as we speak, he is destroying all evidence of the storage facility, and devising a plan to build a new, even more secret lair right under our noses, where he will have access to all minimates and no longer have to deal with pesky foreign shipping tariffs. I believe he will choose the lovely Chesapeake Bay area, possibly Westmoreland or Tidwells as they sound kind of Englishy, for his new base of operations. He will continue to tell the survivors of the Multiverse Massacre that he resides at the Barn of Bumblbees, while replacing the deceased with his own lackeys, who will assume the names and avatars of those members removed. This will create the illusion no wrong doing and provide him with drone scouts across the nation purposed in acquiring all the minimates from each of their designated TRUs. Once he has amassed a large enough army of mates, Rob will use some kind of evil technology device to animate the little plastic men and send them out to take over the DST offices and the manufacturing plants, where an army of yellow blanks will be created, hell bent on taking over the world!

I only hope this message reaches you all in time.

God speed

BS

:biggrin: I have kept a few WIP pictures of Bumblebee Barn & Badger Barn over the last 11 years ,here's a random one from about 3 or 4 years ago. post-638-0-25593200-1308582463_thumb.jpg Badger is the building in the L.foreground left & that's where you lot can stay when you visit me,Bumble is in the R.background & shows it in its early stage of extension....you can see the roof timber to the right of it. The main Minimate storage silo is the building to the right which is actually a disused 'american barn' stables. We just shot the horses to make room for the Minimates.

Most of this is nearly finished now & looks a tad better than the building-site in the pic.

Your pictures & comments guys are priceless & very much appreciated. :thumbsup::lol:

No. You.are.incorrect.boardfriend.designation.blacksun1520. Boardfriend.designation.buttheadsmate.means.us.no harm. And.it.is.purely. coincidence.that.I.took.a.leave.of.absence.from.this.board.shortly.after.receiving.an.unsolicited.package.from.boardfriend.designation.buttheadsmate. Do.not.worry,.boardfriend.designation.buttheadsmate.has.one.for.each.of.you.as.well. We.are.sure.you.will.find.it.as.life.changing.as.I.did.

Edited by Mirymate

• 3 months later...

post-638-0-58875200-1317407567_thumb.jpg post-638-0-42364500-1317407597_thumb.jpg post-638-0-65693800-1317407631_thumb.jpg

I've taken the opportunity to construct a jetty/pier/pontoon/whatever whilst the lake's water level remains the same as it has done for months.

My carpentry is about as good as my photography but that considered I'm pretty pleased with the result ....let's be honest most of it will be under water for the next few years ....er...I hope! Basically I bashed some 9" diameter posts 3' into the ground & then constructed a framework that carries a 3m wide x 7m long deck which will be about 3" above the eventual water-line,currently the deck is about 5' above the water-line.

The eco-system continues to thrive & hopefully I can begin to stock with a few fish in the Spring whilst the grass has re-established itself around the edges of the lake.

post-638-0-58875200-1317407567_thumb.jpg post-638-0-42364500-1317407597_thumb.jpg post-638-0-65693800-1317407631_thumb.jpg

I've taken the opportunity to construct a jetty/pier/pontoon/whatever whilst the lake's water level remains the same as it has done for months.

My carpentry is about as good as my photography but that considered I'm pretty pleased with the result ....let's be honest most of it will be under water for the next few years ....er...I hope! Basically I bashed some 9" diameter posts 3' into the ground & then constructed a framework that carries a 3m wide x 7m long deck which will be about 3" above the eventual water-line,currently the deck is about 5' above the water-line.

The eco-system continues to thrive & hopefully I can begin to stock with a few fish in the Spring whilst the grass has re-established itself around the edges of the lake.

I know ppl like to build stuff to show off their toy collection, but building somewhere for your pirate minimates to walk the plank is taking it a bit far :)

I am tottally in awe of your place. I can only imagine what it must be like to live there in a place that looks so great.