UA-100768763-1 Jump to content

Buttheadsmate's......

buttheadsmate

I got permission three years ago to build a lake on the farm & today at 8.30 a.m. it was begun . It was bitterly cold this morning but by sunset a wet swampy field began to look like a moonscape. I'll take some photos tomorrow morning & show you what it looks like 24 hours later. The pictures are up to my usual standard but to be fair it is very difficult to convey the scale of this operation . post-638-1291842075_thumb.jpg post-638-1291842119_thumb.jpgpost-638-1291842199_thumb.jpg post-638-1291842226_thumb.jpg post-638-1291842255_thumb.jpgpost-638-1291842292_thumb.jpg post-638-1291842385_thumb.jpg post-638-1291842426_thumb.jpgpost-638-1291842456_thumb.jpg

post-638-1291842323_thumb.jpg

• Replies 159
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

wow - that's quite an undertaking!

Can't wait to see the finished relusts.

How long do you estimate it'll be before it's completed?

Are you going to put any fish or wildlife in it? Or are you just gonna let nature slowly fill it with specimens?

I was going to make a joke about this is where BHM stores all his Aquaman/Ocean Master and Namor mates so they feel at home but someone beat me to the minimate storage bit. So I'm just going to say it will have cyborg piranha to protect such a staggering amount of minimates.

BHM, I live near one of the five North American Great Lakes and your lake looks a little contrived.

;)

Just sayins.

To be serious for a moment, that looks really neat. I saw a post you made this morning about this "lake" and it got me really curious as to what exactly it was. You saved yourself a very inquisitive PM.

I am in awe. Best of luck to you on ButtHeadsLake!

Stupid question time. How do you fill it? A truck comes by and dumps water in until the lake is full?

I think that's what the buckets in the fourth pic are for. :blink:

That is seriously amazing. What kind of planning went in to this? Amazing WIP. Can't wait to see the final product, and I hope there aren't any hiccups between now and completion... or after that either.

And are you sure that's going to be a lake and not an underground Minimate storage facility? That would be more practical for you.

Duh, that goes under the lake.

Clearly he should fill the lake with Minimates instead of water, and swim around in them a la Scrooge McDuck in his money bin.

I'm genuinely grateful for your interest :D I've done many things to the run-down farm I bought eleven years ago when no-one else seemed interested in buying it but most of them have involved making a quid or two . This however is purely to enhance an already beautiful piece of countryside of which I am currently the custodian . I already have the benefit of a river which is about 200 yards from where the lake will be & that mere fact, ironically, held me back for ages.....in a nutshell ,fish from the lake must not make their way to the river. Anyway that will be all be sorted out once the lake is stocked. I live in an area where clay,a perfect natural 'liner', is predominant but it was not 100% that we'd find it at an economical depth. We did,so progress was quickly made & by Friday if the weather holds it will be ready for the water. The water will arrive from 'above' & via the natural drainage from some of the fields to the river ....they'll now pass into the lake & thence the river. If all that sounds as if I know what I'm doing then I'm glad because none of it is certain to happen :blush:

Again ......thankyou for letting me share ;)

...&...Nessex .......I do hope to deposit a specimen or two in it soon :P

Working in land development my whole life i see a huge amount of fun -no worries it will fill just like you described wish i could help yeah for sure :) -your clay plate your talking about how deep does it go?the only thing that might happen is it might reciede during the hotter months depending on how well the ground filters the water hence the clay it will definatly slow that down and how naturally wet the ground is water viens and that sort of stuff and of course how your going to feed it water and from your upper reply your on target!! I say time to stalk it with some fish.one last question how wide and how deep?

How wide & deep? At the moment we are unsure but it is planned that it will be about 15 feet deep at its deepest ,its size will be somewhere in the region of a soccer pitch *,1.5 + acres. Once you hit clay around here it is all clay....5 mile from me is a china-clay quarry.

*( I just can't help myself sometimes :D ) ....that is a ball park figure :lol:

Edited by buttheadsmate

that is awsome

Great story Sam.

post-638-1291891802_thumb.jpgpost-638-1291891863_thumb.jpgpost-638-1291891928_thumb.jpgpost-638-1291891973_thumb.jpgpost-638-1291892026_thumb.jpg

post-638-1291892057_thumb.jpgpost-638-1291892085_thumb.jpgpost-638-1291892130_thumb.jpg

post-638-1291892165_thumb.jpgpost-638-1291895232_thumb.jpgpost-638-1291895285_thumb.jpgpost-638-1291895313_thumb.jpgpost-638-1291895379_thumb.jpg

Day 2. You'll see that a fair bit of progress has been made & I'm informed that although there is enough clay it wasn't as plentiful as maybe we anticipated,it's OK though........ & no Roman coins have been found yet which would have been a bonus . ;) Somebody tell me if this thread gets a bit repetitive but as long as you guys are interested I'll keep posting the pictures .................

Edited by buttheadsmate