UA-100768763-1 Jump to content

My madness.

minimadman

I have previously been diagnosed with OCD and that I also have a tendency to horde things. Those 2 things make it hard to be a collector sometimes. Usually when I buy things I have to buy 2 of them one for me and one for the monster in my head. I am an opener and am not interested in things MOC, but the monster in my head is. When we moved into our house my wife gave me the hall closet to keep my things in since I would no longer have a room and over time I began to put the extras that I would buy in there. Today I went looking for something and was both amazed and disgusted by what I found. Here is a picture of what was stashed in my closet.

post-955-1291656421_thumb.jpg

I found all of my other stashes and there were over 70 packs of Minimates and 15 or so random boxsets. I am usually pretty good about keeping it in check this is the result of many trips to my LCS and TRU but when put all together it is a little frightening.

Sounds about right, you are not alone brother!

I'm sure there are many of us ( Myself included) that have more plastic stashed away than is reasonable. I console myself that there are those who are way worse than I am and I would like to see pix of BHM's vault as I'm sure it would make the rest of us feel normal by comparison.

T.

Yeah, I was looking through my boxes a few weeks ago and was surprised at some packaged stuff I ran across and had forgotten about. I need to just purge all my boxed Minimates one day, but it is hard.

I would like to see pix of BHM's vault as I'm sure it would make the rest of us feel normal by comparison.

I suspect we would all go into shock, which would not allow for any other feelings.

I've just lost the plot completely & sometimes it does become worrying,genuinely worrying :( I have occasionally been tempted to take a couple of photos but I don't think it would help either me or anybody else here.

I'm 55 & it's too late now for me to change & I'm afraid to say that I doubt whether you guys will either ....just accept it & try & keep things in perspective. I still have British weekly comics that I first bought when I was 7 years old until it finished in 1977 when I was 22......I have never read the final three years & never will . It's nuts.

I've never made it a secret but despite my love of these little guys I will eventually cross to the 'dark side' & unload some stuff .

I like a drink but I'm not a drunk,I've never smoked (anything) & I've never taken any drugs .........I can afford a bit of OCD & I'm not too worried about it.

I'm not sure why I bought 168 C3 Mini-Javelin sets though .

Edit : I began typing this after seeing TBT's post so I'm extremely amused at 'Fiends comment :D

Edited by buttheadsmate

I've just lost the plot completely & sometimes it does become worrying,genuinely worrying :( I have occasionally been tempted to take a couple of photos but I don't think it would help either me or anybody else here.

I'm 55 & it's too late now for me to change & I'm afraid to say that I doubt whether you guys will either ....just accept it & try & keep things in perspective. I still have British weekly comics that I first bought when I was 7 years old until it finished in 1977 when I was 22......I have never read the final three years & never will . It's nuts.

I've never made it a secret but despite my love of these little guys I will eventually cross to the 'dark side' & unload some stuff .

I like a drink but I'm not a drunk,I've never smoked (anything) & I've never taken any drugs .........I can afford a bit of OCD & I'm not too worried about it.

I'm not sure why I bought 168 C3 Mini-Javelin sets though .

Edit : I began typing this after seeing TBT's post so I'm extremely amused at 'Fiends comment :D

Funny how much of this mirrors myself.

I still get 1 British weekly comic (2000AD) but basicly got anything in its time from Beano/Dandy to Crisis and any Superhero stuff I could find.

I drink, I don't know if I would class as a drunk but I am a social drinker I go the pub I hate alcohol in the house I don't care it costs more to go the pub the whole idea is to be out and about.

I dont smoke never have same basicly with drugs I have a fear of getting addicted to anything that could kill me so they are out. I dont even like taking painkillers when in hospital as I think they could become addicting.

My Girlfriend and kids accept me for what I am a big kid. :)

It's funny how others have brought up drinking/smoking, etc. I, too, only drink socially and have never smoked a single cigarrette. I tried a cigar once in college, but after 3 days of the taste in my mouth, I vowed to never do that again! I've always viewed most people's "vices" as wastes of money that could rather be spent on toys or collectibles I enjoy.

As for "hoarding" of Minimates, lets just say that at this point I can probably start breaking up my M.A.X. police officers into precincts, the firefighters into brigades, and special ops into platoons. :blush:

I don't think you are going to have a unsympathetic ear in this forum. While most of my Minimates will fit into a medium sized box, I have plenty of stuff to take up the small area of our attic. However if I keep things up, I'm going to have to expand it to the entire length of the house :D

I'm curious, how do you guys keep track of your extras? (If you do?) Cappy's Excel checklist, a simple text file, a physical notebook, an open source relational database? :) I've got a table in my local version of the database that holds pack quantities. Whenever I get back from the LCS or TRU or get a new order in the mail, anything that doesn't get opened gets a +1 in the quantity column. I just ran a SUM query on that table and the results were depressing.

Gotta go place a few new orders. :D

I've never been formally diagnosed with OCD, but one would have to be blind not to notice my... tendencies.

The only thing that keeps me from doing that kind of stuff is the lack of money....but when i have money, its like it melts trough my hand :sweat:

Edited by Aapje

I find myself opening up in this thread...............

If that's the case I think you'd feel even better if we finally got a look at that vault of yours :) I'm glad that I started this thread because it helps me to feel less crazy and manic about the things I do. After I took the pic at the top and gathered up all my various stashes around the house I put them all in one of those big plastic bins and showed my wife when she got home from work. Her initial reaction was to ask if I was off my meds and to threaten to take away my debit card and replace it with one of the fake ones that come with a new wallet. She calmed down when I told her that it was all over a period of a couple years though.

I'm glad that I started this thread because it helps me to feel less crazy and manic about the things I do.

Just because the rest of us are nuts doesn't make you less nuts, IMO. This forum is all about enabling.

Groundhog don't publish that picture :blush:

Funny that you mention that because it's the first thing that came to my mind. Of course, the second thing was 'how can I use this to my advantage and what's an appropriate amount of 'hush money' to ask for?' All I'll say is that if anyone ever thinks bhm is exaggerating, I will vouch for him in a heartbeat.

And since this has become a support group/confessional, I'd like to admit that I have well over 1000 loose Minimates and have displayed 2 of them to date. I don't even have a cool display set up to justify my buying habits. And as to boyd's statement about justifying extras by saying they're for customs, I do the same thing only haven't really ever customized any Minimates except for a couple contests. And, like several other mornings, I got up this morning thinking about how much I just spent on toys yesterday and thought that I truly am a complete idiot.I really hate having the toy hangover, but I just can't seem to stop buying them.

And since this has become a support group/confessional, I'd like to admit that I have well over 1000 loose Minimates and have displayed 2 of them to date. I don't even have a cool display set up to justify my buying habits.

It may eat up a lot of room, but I love my Minimate display. Just looking at my collection of Minimates and customs makes me feel better about the time, money and pile of extras that I have invested into this obsessive hobby.

I have shown my GF pictures of your display .....I always add comments like .............

"You see it's not only me"

"Those are just his customs"

"He's married with kids"

"You think I'm nuts?"

"I've met him & he's got a lovely wife"

"He paints them all"

"He's no youngster"

"Yeah...Jeff. I know they're all called 'Jeff' on the 'bloody forum that I bloody well haunt' .....Boyd/Jeff " :angry:

"More nuts than me? Really?"

"I have no idea what he does with the packets .....& it's my business why I don't 'even' open the packets"

"He's a nice guy actually"

:D

I was just chuckling while typing in BHM's lake thread. We are all joking about the vault etc and things the missus says about all these bits of plastic. But the real person I feel sorry for is his postman. The poor guy/girl must dread the amount of boxes heading his way. :)