UA-100768763-1 Jump to content

Ghostbusters Minimates-RGB

• Replies 392
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Pictures?:biggrin:

Found wave 2 at TRU express San Bruno CA.

:yes: Oh yeah -Thank you

Is this the last series of RGB at TRU?? There hasn't been any mention of a third wave and except for the People Busters is there anything more that could be made?

I’d be surprised if there were more coming, because aside from some nit-picky variants there’s nothing left but People Busters.

Combined with the recent news Mattycollector is scaling back it’s GB products, it seems 2012 might be the last year of Ghostbuster figures for now. So Let’s look back at how good we’ve had it as we look at how much ground DST covered compared to Mattel, might I suggest you play this is a second window for full effect:

Let’s look at how they handled the fab four first, The Green Check means WE GOT ONE! (sorry, had to go there) the Red squiggle means we sort of got one.:

mmvmcgblist1.png

As you can see DST did a great job finishing each set they started, the only ones they missed were a Blue Slime Blower Winston (which he didn’t wear in the movie), Slimed Egon (which again, isn’t in the movies), Marshmallow Mess Peter (although they give you the parts to make him), and a Tan GB2 proton pack Ray and Winston (but since you can swap parts you can put the ‘peace sign’ logos onto the older figures and call it a day)

Mattel did a good job of finishing the easy variants of matching outfits only, there are no plans for Courtroom Egon and Ray, and the RGB are only available as megos

How about the supporting cast? What’s going on there:

mmvmcgblist2.png

Neither Company made a normal Louis, but at least DST made Janine (Mattel doesn’t even know her name they keep calling her “the secretary” and only made her a Mego) There’s no minimate Rookie (sh*t, there’s barely a Matty Rookie the way things went), but who gives a crap, put all your spare gear on a TRU extra GB base with a Peter Parker head and it’s good enough.

Do we got Ghost, baby? Freaky Ghost, baby?

Let’s look at the head liners first:

mmvmcgblist4a.png

I didn’t list all the variations since it’s basically just different expressions (which is something else DST has over Mattel, ever minimate has a different face, almost every Matty figure is a reuse, only Slimed Peter and Slime blower Winston got new faces) but I’d say Matty did BETTER at Stay Puft (which will be the benchmark of GB figures until the next licensor decides to outdo them) but as with the way Matty handled the other supporting cast Slimer could have been better.

other ghost:

mmvmcgblist3.png

Keep in mind the Matty ghosts are smaller and less articulated (except Viggo), were the minimate Ghost are real minimates. Matty’s Sam Hain is a Mego, and it’s just crazy they made Viggo and not Gozer. Also note they failed to complete another team as Nunzio was made but Tony is not announced.

So we really got lucky with DST’s handling of Ghostbusters, if this is the end, then at least they went out as legends!

BONUS!

Matty and DST also both have the “Back to the Future” license. how’d that go?

mmvmcgblist5.png

(edit: really I should have put a red squiggle for Matty, I just realized a single hot wheels time machine barely counts)

EDIT: Spelling, probably still missed some. Also cleared up some text.

Edited by dr baghead

You forgot this version of the GBs...

No I got them “Ghostbusters 2 (blue)” the santa hats don’t fit and aren’t glued on (and most packs don’t even feature them choosing to pack them UNDER the figures) so I count those as accessories not unique “Santa Ghostbusters”

if you want to count them though, take away Matty’s green checks for “Ghostbusters 2 (blue)” and pretend the went to “Santa GBs” instead. :)

You forgot this version of the GBs...

No I got them “Ghostbusters 2 (blue)” the santa hats don’t fit and aren’t glued on (and most packs don’t even feature them choosing to pack them UNDER the figures) so I count those as accessories not unique “Santa Ghostbusters”

if you want to count them though, take away Matty’s green checks for “Ghostbusters 2 (blue)” and pretend the went to “Santa GBs” instead. :)

Or do an accessory checklist

Proton Streams: √ x20+ / √ x2

Ghost Traps: √ / √

Ghost Trap for Belt: √ / X

Trap Beams: √ / √

PKE Meter: √ / √

Ecto Goggles: √ x4 / √ x1

Giga Meter: √ / X

Tripod Trap: X / √

Open Book: √ / X

Stack o' Books: X / √

Test Tube of Slime: √ / √

Holdable Walkie Talkie: √ x10 / √ x1

LifeGuard II: √ x-removable / √ x-part of the mold

Hat for 'Party Time': √ / X

pretty even down the playing field, though Minimates were 1st on their accessories

Any chance you still have the receipt? An item number would be most helpful. :)

I passed by the price scanner on my way out.

I'm sorry to say this but this series has the worst paint apps in the GB line. Definitely a rushed factory job. On the humans, it seems like the factory applied one color of paint, didn't let it dry enough and then put the second color of paint. Basically, the chest cover pieces between the primary color and the black straps and belt bleeds. Very apparent on Winston. On Stay Puft, the red and blue seem sloppy and the chest cover piece doesn't look smooth. Like someone dropped it in dirt and left it scratchy and dirty. Can't comment on the Logo Ghost set as that was gone. The Sandman/Evil Slimer looked fine, though. But the sets on human characters wouldn't look good in a group shot. Hopefully these issues were just the case my store got...

Odd note:

Though the prototypes show Winston and Peter both using the Egon/Peter movie chest piece the actual figures both use the Winson chest piece. Which is fine, it looks better, I just hope this is either a consistent that the two up coming box sets are all Winstons-all-the-time like Fred and Barney relaxing in the backyard or the box set offers them both with the Egon/Peter chest and the Citizen Ghost set is the correct Peter-Peter, Winston-Winston... if it’s some weird thing where the second box set is IDENTICAL to the TRU versions but the Citizen Ghost are all Egon/Peter like the concepts it’ll drive me insane/

also, unless the Stay Pufts got switched depending on the Louis you want there may be no reason to buy the box set and/or TRU pack, as Angry Stay Puft comes with GB Louis despite showing Happy Stay Puft on the back. If that’s the case, fine, whatever, I want GB and nerd Louis so I’ll buy both and the Stay Pufts are necessary evil. But if you ONLY want nerd Louis or ONLY want GB Louis but want BOTH Stay Pufts... it seems like their might not be a second Stay Puft.

Right-ho

The little one wants these and Im a little out of touch/confused.

Whats the best way of getting a decent set of figures (Primarily the 'Busters, Slimer, Stay Puft, Janine and probably the logo ghost?)

Just buy everything or is there some cunning combination of boxsets and 2 packs I can do?