UA-100768763-1 Jump to content

Marvel Minimates that may never be...

MST3KFan

Looking through various stuff about Marvel, there a lot of characters in the Marvel Universe (alternate universes included), but one has to think...what characters are most likely not ever going to see the light in Minimate form and why?

Here are a few I think won't be...

Man-Thing - He'd require lots of new sculpting and bulking up to give up that look of a creature that came out of a swamp and probably be too costly for DST to do.

Power Pack (Zero-G, Lightspeed, Mass Master, Energizer) - They're kids and would probably require tinier minimate bodies to look like kids. Otherwise, they'd probably look odd next to the other 'adult' minimates.

Honestly, I could be wrong, and maybe DST will surprise us, but who knows.

What is everyone else's thoughts on whom probably won't be made into a Minimate?

NFL SuperPro, but only because of the licensing issues. . .

Aunt May, because we would have her by now if we were going to get her

Squadron Supreme, because they would be too awesome-looking as Minimates (especially Nighthawk), and the world might explode

I think Morbius is very possible, given that he's a Spidey character and would fit in a forthcoming Spidey wave

I agree about the Power Pack, but because no one would be interested in buying, not because they couldn't do the size (they could use regular Minimates and I don't think many people would complain because of the size).

Edited by karamazov80

NFL SuperPro, but only because of the licensing issues. . .

Aunt May, because we would have her by now if we were going to get her

Squadron Supreme, because they would be too awesome-looking as Minimates (especially Nighthawk), and the world might explode

I think Morbius is very possible, given that he's a Spidey character and would fit in a forthcoming Spidey wave

I agree about the Power Pack, but because no one would be interested in buying, not because they couldn't do the size (they could use regular Minimates and I don't think many people would complain because of the size).

Wait...haven't DST said a few times that they've been trying to slot in an Aunt May and Uncle Ben but can never find a place for them?? Gotta say, it would suck not getting them.

Honestly, I'm not sure that Man-Thing is outside the realm of possibilities anymore. AA has made such amazing strides recently that I think they can probably do anybody, even Manny, Howard the Duck, and Rocket Raccoon (there's a dream box set for you...). And I continue to hold out hope for the Squadron Supreme.

I think the most likely characters to never get made are those that had a brief window of popularity, but are now on the downswing. The Runaways and the Young Avengers, for example, are both properties that looked to be long-term hits for Marvel a few years ago, but mismanagement has largely diluted interest. The time for box sets for them was 2005, not 2010, and I'd say it's unlikely we'll see them.

Oh, and I'd be surprised if we ever see a character named the Son of Satan, complete with chest pentagram, on the pegs at Toys R Us....

Spiderman, IronMan or Wolverine ;)

Ok so seriously ROM is never going to happen, I've asked chuck about it every year since I started collecting and always get laughed at when I ask, apparently he's one of those licensing nightmare characters.

T.

Uhhhh... Stan Lee and Jack Kirby mates. ;)

I'd buy those. :P

Honestly, I'm not sure that Man-Thing is outside the realm of possibilities anymore. AA has made such amazing strides recently that I think they can probably do anybody, even Manny, Howard the Duck, and Rocket Raccoon (there's a dream box set for you...). And I continue to hold out hope for the Squadron Supreme.

I think the most likely characters to never get made are those that had a brief window of popularity, but are now on the downswing. The Runaways and the Young Avengers, for example, are both properties that looked to be long-term hits for Marvel a few years ago, but mismanagement has largely diluted interest. The time for box sets for them was 2005, not 2010, and I'd say it's unlikely we'll see them.

Oh, and I'd be surprised if we ever see a character named the Son of Satan, complete with chest pentagram, on the pegs at Toys R Us....

I think that Young Avengers is still pretty popular, so I could see them getting made, and if they did I would buy that quick!!! Also as many people mentioned I could see DST making 1 or more Runaways box sets or maybe even a wave when the movie comes out.

Edited by GrimZata99

Spiderman, IronMan or Wolverine ;)

Ok so seriously ROM is never going to happen, I've asked chuck about it every year since I started collecting and always get laughed at when I ask, apparently he's one of those licensing nightmare characters.

T.

Rom was a toy created by... Parker Brothers? They basically approached Marvel about creating the backstory and doing the tie-in comic. The toy was a flop, the comic wasn't (and it's probably the single most underrated Marvel comic ever) but eventually the license lapsed. I think Marvel could probably buy the rights to Rom outright (it's not like Parker Brothers, or whomever owns the rights, is doing anything with them), but I guess it's not worth their while financially. Really a shame.

Rom

Howard the Duck

Deaths Head (I or II)

M.O.D.O.K

I think the Rom story is more complicated than Marvel just not buying the rights. I wish we could find some definitive info about this as it pops up all the time on various message boards. Rick Marshall over at MTV Splash page is a huge Rom fan maybe if we all blast him with the request we could get them to do an article about it?

Beloved multi-title supporting character Henry Peter Gyrich! I actually made one just like Tenime did with his Val Cooper. I have pics somewhere but for now I remember my recipe was

-T2 Motorcycle T-1000 Head

-Armored Daredevil Hairpiece or Transformation Venom Eddie Brock hairpiece

-Either a spare Red Skull Suit jacket

-or 24 boxset 1 Jack Bauer Brown Jacket/arms over 24 boxset 2 George Mason torso.

-OR 24 boxset 1 David Palmer with new hands. This looks PERFECT but I'm not good at repainting things and it's still the got the neck peg.

I picked the Armored Daredevil hairpiece because I actually don't have Transformation Venom right now. HPG's been shown with clear glasses recently but in the early days of X-men and Avengers he had the frosted over Highway Patrol Shades that never let us see his eyes.

Other characters we may not ever get?

-Mojo

-Stardust

-Gabriel the Air-Walker

-The Brood

-Probably any of Hulk's Warbound from Planet Hulk and WW Hulk

-The Supreme Intelligence

-Eon

-Eternity

-Aegis and Tenebrous (from Annihilation)

-The In-betweener

-The Living Tribunal

-The Headsman (from the Defenders)

-Gorilla-Man or likely most of the Agents of Atlas

-Red Ronin

I'm sure there's tons of others; all these are just off the top of my head from recent stuff I've been enjoying. Maybe the Agents aren't such a longshot but I think Gorilla-Man would need a ton of new parts while also being their most recognizable character. It'd be a boxset to die for though, wouldn't it? Heralds of Galactus would be cool while they were at it...

-Omega the Unknown

-X-Man (Nate Summers from AOA)

-Night Nurse

-Cosmo the dog

There you have two main characters who wont get figures because they were never big with the public, though they were both awesome. Night Nurse gets my vote simply because she's awesome and Doctor Strange needs a squeeze and Cosmo because who doesn't love an astronaut dog that speaks in Russian?

Edited by Robbie