UA-100768763-1 Jump to content

Marvel Minimates Excalibur Box Set

storm 1:08

• Replies 326
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It just mystifies me why DST don't just make a decent box-set of the big guys & have done with it? I never thought the Sentinels would sell but hey what would I know but having Sentinels smaller than Juggernaut just makes this vicious circle, spiral .

I keep thing about Michael McGowans infamous "DST know what they're doing" post & I just...... wonder :unsure:

I'm sure there's been human-sized Sentinels in the past, that isn't gospel... but I'm almost certain.

Thanks for the pics Mr Redfield. Looks like a decent enough set. Shame Meggans paint seems a to have been applied a bit too far down on her feet. Hope they're not all like that. I'm pretty much buying this set for her.

Nightcrawler looks pretty nice. not much to complain about there.

Cap B is a bit underwhelming - but it's not a terrible figure.

It'll be damn nice to have a complete excalibur line-up finally :) Maybe the powers that be really did take notice of the last poll we did :P

It just mystifies me why DST don't just make a decent box-set of the big guys & have done with it? I never thought the Sentinels would sell but hey what would I know but having Sentinels smaller than Juggernaut just makes this vicious circle, spiral .

I'm sure there's been human-sized Sentinels in the past, that isn't gospel... but I'm almost certain.

There most certainly have been human sized sentinels, but the ones i remember didn't look like the classic sentinels.

Operation: Zero Tolerance featured Prime Sentinels which were humans that had been fitted with nano-technology capable of transforming them into heavily armed creatures that looked similar to Bastian.

851574-sentinel1_super.jpg

Windegos would deffinitly make great army builders, its like a virus so there are many of them. Also it would be great for a sasquatch custom or part reuses for an official release

I pre-ordered through EE. Was just curious if anyone else did as I have had a notice that it's on backorder. I figure this was just the way their system says it's not in stock yet, but now that I'm seeing most retailers are getting them in I'm starting to wonder if they couldn't fulfill all back orders...Anyone else buying through EE?

There most certainly have been human sized sentinels, but the ones i remember didn't look like the classic sentinels.

Operation: Zero Tolerance featured Prime Sentinels which were humans that had been fitted with nano-technology capable of transforming them into heavily armed creatures that looked similar to Bastian.

uGH, That picture just brought back bad memories from the 90's. I was really disapointed with the zero tolerance storyline. Never liked Bastian, seemed he was a villian with pontential. It also spawned one of the most useless x-men ever, Dr. Cecila Reyes.

He had a rant about how people should not criticize DST's business practices, saying that everyone was bitching. Notable for being a rare, angry post on this forum not directed at DST or another toy company :D

Edited by karamazov80

post-2890-0-70718500-1300909173_thumb.jp

Got the set today and I mixed and matched some parts with old and new Nightcrawler.I like Excalibur Nightcrawler face and body with hair, arms and legs from GSX Nightcrawler as seen in 2nd picture.OG Nightcrawler just has more details on his arms and legs.

I was surprised to find this at my LCS today. Haven't had a chance to really inspect it, but from a casual glance, Nightcrawler's arm is cracked in mine, and one of his hands has what looks like a bit of dirt smudged on it. It's like someone stepped on it and then threw it in the package.

Also, overall the details are rather shoddy. What should be neat lines separating the colors is instead blurry where the paint kind of bleeds into each other.

And the green on Meggan's feet is too far down on mine too.

post-2890-0-70718500-1300909173_thumb.jp

Nice QC! Shame the tampo isn't as bright as the shoulder-pads. I think my GSXM Nightcrawler might stay as my display model once i get this set <_<

Also, overall the details are rather shoddy. What should be neat lines separating the colors is instead blurry where the paint kind of bleeds into each other. And the green on Meggan's feet is too far down on mine too.

Bummer - it really was Meggan that made this set a must have for me. It looks like the black on her upper-arm doesn't go all they way around either. Hopefully with a little tweaking, she'll be presentable :thumbsup:

Man, I'm so glad to have gotten this set. But is anyone else having problems aligning Juggernaut's face with the mask holes?

Thanks Nessex!

The mask holes for my Juggernaut are definitely not aligning.Even when you have the whole head off and the mask on it doesn't align .But he looks really good without the mask off also.

Edited by jboogie

I find Juggernauts helmet is way to thick, just like Electro's. My eye holes do not line up nice either, so this must be widespread to everyone. You literaly have to look down on an anlge to see his eyes and teeth. The wall thickness of Juggy's helmet throws off the look of this minimate IMO. Other than that, I'm very happy how DST pulled off this bulked up minimate.

For what its worth the very very early Sentinels (Issue 100ish) were human sized and appear the same as the "classic" sentinels

heres some quick pics of juggy:

brotherhood group shot:

badguysxmen.jpg

comparison with other bulked up mates:

bigguys.jpg

i was so excited about buying this set that i drew this while i was waiting for the day to end

nightcrawler3.jpg

I picked up this set yesterday too, and it's nice, but disappointing. Each 'mate has some kind of issue with it. I think Juggernaut was pulled off very well, and is the best of the bulked-up 'mates so far, but the helmet is not sculpted well enough to fit on the chest piece properly, which is what's throwing the alignment of the mask and the face off. Nightcrawler is fine, I guess, though mine has the same scuff drgnrbrn mentioned. He just doesn't look... great, I don't know why. Certainly doesn't look at all like the way Alan Davis drew him. And the bamf base is lackluster; it looks like it came from a Strawberry Shortcake package. I'd have preferred a repaint of the Magik base.

Meggan's the best of the lot, but as others have mentioned, the feet are a all wrong, and that's a big deal. I'm not one to sweat little details like this, but in this case it really does harm the figure. I've got a light green sharpie which I hope will match the paint so that I can try and correct things.

And Captain Britain is just a mess. First off, why does he not have white gloves like the previous Cap? That costume ALWAYS had that style glove in that costume, as you can clearly see from the background cover art on the package. And the head... so small! Captain Britain is perhaps the only character in the Marvel Universe that NEEDS a slip on mask. If you look at his costume, it's very clearly not a skintight mask but a helmet set off from the head a bit. The first Cap Minimate had the size right, but the exposed flesh needed to be a cutout, not a tampo, and of course there's the missing white piping. This one, at least, doesn't have to worry about that last detail (the helmet's all red), but the head looks puny. I know it probably doesn't matter to most, but Captain Britain's one of my favorite MU characters, and one of my favorite costumes, so getting two lackluster versions of him in a year is a real bummer. :sad:

I'm not sure if I agree about the cut-out eyes for Cap Britain, because his eyes are completely white (at least, as I remember him during the Davis Excalibur period). Maybe if they gave him a reversible head where the back side gave him white pupils. . .

Edited by karamazov80