UA-100768763-1 Jump to content

New SDCC Set - 90's X-Men!

boyd

So far it's looking like a good enough set, but mainly for Magneto.

Jubilee I'll probably repurpose into her Gen X or Ultimate outfits, as I prefer the custom I had made. Bishop is more or less the same [have a custom I prefer thanks to the thicker hair and molded bandanna], although this is enough of a variation that I can keep it [shoulder padding, different color gloves].

Wolvie is kind of a disappointing choice, because there's so many other looks they could've done.

• Replies 125
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Anything 90' Marvel is for me the 'Wilderness Years' & despite the fact I tried to catch up on that era ...I struggle with much of it. I realise however that, for many here, it is your era & that is reflected in your comments here. I have no affinity to these at all & speaking objectively ....they're not that special.

Anything 90' Marvel is for me the 'Wilderness Years' & despite the fact I tried to catch up on that era ...I struggle with much of it. I realise however that, for many here, it is your era & that is reflected in your comments here. I have no affinity to these at all & speaking objectively ....they're not that special.

Sooo maybe buy only ten sets? :D

Just my two cents guys, but do you think this skimping out on the detail may have something to do with DST paying attention to our complaints about how "over-detailed" recent Minimate releases (i.e. the Iron Man 2 armors) have been lately? Sure, they may have over-compensated on the detail restraint but I think this may have been no coincidence given all that bitching and whining we've made about excessive sculpting and detail lately.

No, I think this has everything to do with cost savings. DST can't rely on pre-sells to gauge market interest for these, and being con-exclusive sets, they know they're probably not going to sell through for a while. Also, they can't push the cost of tooling for unique pieces off on a third-party buyer like TRU or AFX. So, I'd guess they're playing it very conservative this time after getting burned on the Dark Avengers sets last year.

Same goes for AFX: they probably spent a lot on the tooling for the Champions and Thunderbolts sets last year, so they're taking it easy on new pieces this time.

Edited by Lobsterman

Sooo maybe buy only ten sets? :D

Zing!

So, what does it say about current comic storylines that the only sets shown so far are focusing on looks that haven't been popular for over a decade? Am I reading too much into this?

And why is it these are coming out before Wrecking Crew?

Edited by groundhog7s

I think someone with great 90s nostalgia must have taken over at DST. What else could account for all this? Even if the current Marvel designs suck (which many of them do, IMO), they could go back to the 60s, 70s, or 80s for all kinds of great characters and outfits. But no. We're stuck in the period of Liefeld and McFarlane :sick:

And as per recent standards, this didn't take long.

I really hope no one buys these since most always the sets are pretty easy to snatch up after the cons. Especially when the sets aren't the most stellar characters that people are beating down the door for (not that I don't like this set).

And as per recent standards, this didn't take long.

Is that someone on this board? None of these sets seem to have been very widely publicized, especially this one. And I can't think of anyone besides us who obsessively combs the internet to find any obscure scrap of Minimate news the moment it's available.

Really disappointing set for me. Way to much of a kit bashed set.

Arcangel's hair piece for Bishop instead of a mullet. <_<

Painted on bandana. <_<

Tony Stark hairpiece for Jubilee. <_<

Painted on sunglasses for Jubilee. <_<

Overall feeling for this set... <_<

Agreed, agreed, agreed. Completely plain shirt for Jubes? not even some wrinkle lines? I was SURE they would give Bishop a real neckerchief.

Magneto looks kool - but i would really have loved a new villain like Sinister or Omega Red for this set. I'll still try and get it though to finish up my 90's x-men roster.

EDIT: Sorry about my harping on guys. I've just read the entire thread which has already said exactly what i've said. Still If this set had Jubes glasses sculpted & Bishops scarf as a removable piece - it would greatly up my interest!

Dark Avengers had SOOOOOOO many new pieces (Ares Helmet, Dakens Claws, IP's Helmet - we really could have used two new little sculpts here to make this set a winner)

Edited by Nessex

Thanks for the compliments, all. I can't take full credit, though. Jubilee was loosecollector's design, with a Gwen Stacy head & Ultimate Jean Grey hairpiece. BttFII Doc glasses & coat (which I may swap out for the new trench). The only work I did was epoxy the glasses on, paint them & the hair, and Sharpie on the belt buckle. Otherwise, it's just parts-swapping. :)

I just want to throw out there also that what we see now always varies from final product. I know sometimes that's not always for the best, but I'd be surprised if there wasn't some improvement in some of the designs on these by the time we see the real figures.

I'm excited to complete the rest of the 90s X-Men. I like your theory. Another possibility is that they put all their "unique" parts budget into Iron Man 2 stuff and so everything else suffers and have to be cheapened like Jubilee's glasses or Bishop's scarf...or the details on Captain Britain, the lack of quality control on the Spider-Man Friends and Foes, etc etc. It looks like certain waves like the Iron Man 2 stuff get more attention and $$ then everything else, which is a shame.

If it is because of the Iron Man 2 minimates that the others have to suffer, I'd rather not have Marvel movie minimates as aside from a few of the Iron Man mates, I've avoided the movie related stuff whenever released.

I'm sure there's reasoning behind them, more money maybe being given by the higher ups to make these or something, but really... I actually was liking the insane amounts of stuff we were getting in Marvel Minimates with details. I look back on the older minimates and just think they look too plain now... Comparing Ultimate Wolverine to one of the more modern ones for example, or the first yellow costume Wolvy to the most recent made one...

I know there's the arguement of having less detailing versus having all sorts, but to me, less detailing makes them almost just pumped up LEGOs. I like that Cable has his huge shoulderpads or Deadpool comes with a ton of weapons, and even the way more detailed hairpieces being given to the characters now. It makes these things look way more awesome and 'pop' more to the eye unlike something like Mighty Muggs or Mez-its...or worse Blammoids...

Just guessing, we'll never know for sure. I agree with you, I usually avoid movie waves since they tend to be more clogged with boring and civilian looking minimates. Ideally though every wave should have an equal amount of budget and care put into them. Realistically it's not that way, and I'm a bigger X-Men fan than Iron Man fan, so I guess you can tell where I'd want more attention to go into. ;) haha

I just want to throw out there also that what we see now always varies from final product. I know sometimes that's not always for the best, but I'd be surprised if there wasn't some improvement in some of the designs on these by the time we see the real figures.

I dont think we are going to see changes... these sets are for SDCC which is just over a month away, so these are likely done and on the boat on the way to DST already.

T.

Like most here, I'm disappointed with Jubilee and Bishop. Love the character and outfit selection, just don't care for the lack of a new hair piece with goggles for Jubilee and the lack of the sculpted scarf for Bishop.

Don't really care for the costume of the Magneto and care even less for the battle damage Wolvie.

Forge, Banshee, and black/green Rogue would have made me happier. BUT I understand the need for a Wolvie and this choice pretty much guarantees another Brown Wolverine is planned somewhere (possibly TRU exclusive). The Magneto is out of left field (and the 80's) though. ;)

I'll get these, but I'm not as excited as I hoped to be given the Jubilee and Bishop inclusion in what is titled 90's Era X-Men set.

What the... It seems like there's a formula to the boxsets.

Spot #1, one of the big five: check.

Spot #2 and 3, two characters that needed to be made or updated: check.

Spot #4, obscure costume: check.

I think they got their boxsets mixed up. Jubilee should have had more detail and Domino should have less. Bishop looks nice and the scarf makes sense painted on, it could go either way. Back to Jubilee, really should have had a sculpted visor. Rarely used Magneto costume: for the ultimate X-Men collector. Looks very good though, but I don't need it. Wolverine... Looks like too much of a reuse of Weapon X from the Wolverine Through the Ages boxset. As others have said, an updated brown Wolverine would have been better.

With the X-Force boxset coming out at the same time, I hope they go all out and do every character from the 90's X-Men cartoon.

very nice- she is sweet and the chest and feet? custom or other parts swap if you dont mind me asking?

Thanks for the compliments, all. I can't take full credit, though. Jubilee was loosecollector's design, with a Gwen Stacy head & Ultimate Jean Grey hairpiece. BttFII Doc glasses & coat (which I may swap out for the new trench). The only work I did was epoxy the glasses on, paint them & the hair, and Sharpie on the belt buckle. Otherwise, it's just parts-swapping. :)

I'm just not a fan of the 90s X-Men, but I'm happy for those waiting for a Jubilee and jheri-curl Bishop. "S&M gloves Magneto" could be cool for a New Mutants display I guess. Or maybe those gloves are veterinary, and he's going to assist with an elephant birth? Shirtless Wolverine is a pretty lame variant.

Where the F are the villains, I ask you?

I'd prefer the shades up too, but hey, we're still getting a Jubilee, a character that's been constantly mentioned and requested on the board for years! And generally shot down by DST. It's not like they got her look wrong even, just did it one way when we would have preferred they do it another. After the double downer of Liefeldpalooza and A Brighter Shade Of Ghostbusters, I am very excited for this one! :woot:

edit: Looks like the name of the set is just "90s".

Edited by battlecat

I don't really care for Wolverine or Magneto. I'm excited that we're finally getting Bishop and Jubilee. I was just about to buy the older Bishop to fix it up. I already have a better hair piece ready to go for him. I would have liked a bandana piece for Bishop bu the painted one is fine. I agree with everyone else that the painted on glasses look strange on Jubilee. Hopefully, they'll add a little more to them before the final releases.

With the X-Force boxset coming out at the same time, I hope they go all out and do every character from the 90's X-Men cartoon.

We're getting closer - i don't think we'll see a Morph though since he was (sort of) made up for the show.

We're getting closer - i don't think we'll see a Morph though since he was (sort of) made up for the show.

I have a custom 90's Morph minimate. It's easy to make just get that wolverine with that stock blue and yellow uniform, grab an extra Peter Parker face, I'm everyone has one of those lying around somewhere. Then just get 90's cyclops alternate hairpiece and there you have it! Morph!

That Wolverine is one of the worst ones yet. A translucent one with a metal skeleton embedded in it would be awesome.

See... Thats a Wolvie I wouldn't mind buying. Or they could have done a good Weapon X Wolvie.

I have a custom 90's Morph minimate.

Was Morph a real character? I thought he was just from the Cartoon. I know he showed up in AoA but I didnt think he was from the comic originally.

Edited by Rheul

That Wolverine is one of the worst ones yet. A translucent one with a metal skeleton embedded in it would be awesome.

See... Thats a Wolvie I wouldn't mind buying. Or they could have done a good Weapon X Wolvie.

I have a custom 90's Morph minimate.

Was Morph a real character? I thought he was just from the Cartoon. I know he showed up in AoA but I didnt think he was from the comic originally.

Morph as he was in the cartoon never really existed in the comics.

The character who who was named Morph in AOA and was later part of the Exiles is an alternate version of an X-Men baddie named Changeling.