UA-100768763-1 Jump to content

The NFL Thread

karamazov80

• Replies 318
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks vb :P This is a memorable day, on what should ultimately be a fairly memorable year for me. . .

The win still hasn't really sunk in for me. Feels strange. I'm kind of numb about it. Hard to believe the New Orleans freakin' Saints are Superbowl champs. I honestly never seriously considered that this could happen. Very weird.

The whole reason I'm wondering is does America have say a main TV station like we have the BBC where everyone will be able to watch what is prob the biggest sporting event on your calendar for free?

(Yes I do know we have to pay a licence fee for BBC in the UK but i class it as a freeview as if you put up an ariel you can still get it no fuss they then try and charge you for it :lol: )

We have several channels that are essentially "free" if you have a digital converter box. The major ones that most people get are the major broadcast channels--ABC, CBS, and NBC. However, Fox is the 4th, almost major station that folks can also get with a converter box (people can also get the public broadcasting channel, some weird shopping channels, and some others for free here). The NFL has two major conferences--NFC and AFC, whose best 2 teams play in the Superbowl. The NFC team was the Saints, and the AFC team was the Colts tonight. NFC has a contract with Fox, who plays the vast majority of their games (most of the Saints games I saw this year), and CBS has a contract with the AFC. The Superbowl tonight came on CBS, so anyone with a digital converter box could get it.

However, once per week, a Sunday night game plays on NBC (which everyone can get), and on Monday Night of every week, ESPN shows a game, which people have to pay cable for. Additionally, after half-way through the season, once a week a Thursday night game comes on the NFL Network, which you have to pay a premium price for with digital cable or a satellite dish. This year, a big-time Saints "Thursday night" game (that was actually played on a Saturday--don't ask) was actually broadcast for free on the premium cable preview channel for those with basic cable.

So, more info. than you wanted to know, I'm sure :)

BTW, WHO DAT??

And let me say I feel for Colts fans out there. Having to live with one, tonight was a slight bit bittersweet. They played exceptionally well, but the Saints were just the better team tonight. Hartley, the defense, the offense, they all played their hearts out.

Edited by karamazov80

off side kick was the decider. This was the first game I have ever seen where it was about winning rather than not losing. So many times teams play it safe and honestly the Saints played the percentages better. I was amazed at a lot of the moves they made. He made decisions that most Superbowl veteran coaches would not have. Great game. I actually stood for the whole second half.

I agree. I can't help but think that if the Saints just kicked it, the Colts would have scored (like they did on the next possession) and did like they always do--took over in the 2nd half when it matters and closed out the game. Sean Payton had some serious balls there. And unlike Les Miles, he made gutsy, atypical calls when it made sense to (well, with the exception of that STUPID run up the middle on 4th and goal--that was pure Les Miles).

Drew Brees was just magnificent tonight, wasn't he? Wow. And Hartley just blew me away with kicks like that. 3 40+ yarders! Superbowl record. And other major stats for those who weren't paying attention--Drew Brees tied Tom Brady for most completions in the Superbowl with 32, he is 2nd all time in the Superbowl in terms of percentage completion--over 80%, behind only Phil Simms I think (who supposedly didn't throw nearly as much as Brees), this is only the 2nd time this year the Colts were leading at half-time and didn't win (previous time they didn't play starters through the rest of the game against the Jets), first time in Superbowl history that a team made an on-sides kick that wasn't in the 4th quarter, and the Saints tied for the largest comeback in Superbowl history (from 10 points). That last one was surprising to me. Only 10 points? Just a great, memorable night.

I'm really happy for all those poor bastards living in the projects of New Orleans, because they don't have much to look forward to, and rightfully have lost faith in the local, state, and federal government as well as the socio-economic context they seem stuck in, but they love their Saints, and this is going to stay with them for the rest of their lives.

Edited by karamazov80

The win still hasn't really sunk in for me. Feels strange. I'm kind of numb about it. Hard to believe the New Orleans freakin' Saints are Superbowl champs. I honestly never seriously considered that this could happen. Very weird.

As a lifelong Red Sox fan I know exactly how that feels.

As a lifelong Red Sox fan I know exactly how that feels.

Yeah, two cursed franchises, now cursed no more :lol:

People said the Saints were cursed because God was offended that a team would call themselves the Saints.

Sean Payton had some serious balls there. And unlike Les Miles, he made gutsy, atypical calls when it made sense to (well, with the exception of that STUPID run up the middle on 4th and goal--that was pure Les Miles).

I disagree I think this was a win-win or lose-win situation which ended up being a lose win. If they had made the play there was a good chance that the Manning led 2nd best last 2 minute offense would have also scored. But by not making the play they made Manning start from behind the opposing 40 yd which is a hard spot to start from. Colt went 3 and out giving the Saints the opportunity that they deserved. I feel that losing this game was worth it cause it wasn't lost by not playing it was the better players and plays won.

Well, I don't criticize Payton for going for it there. I understand that you don't want to kick the ball to Peyton there to give him time to score. But you don't run up the middle on 4th and 2 when running on 3rd and 1 loses you a yard. He should have play action passed, or did a reverse, or something else. That play seemed doomed from the get-go, in my opinion. Of course, if he would have got the TD there, it would have been a great call :lol:

I think Payton would have preferred the TD and giving Manning a chance to drive down the field than a turnover on downs with the hope that he could stop the Colts (which they hadn't been very effective at doing at that point) and then get the ball back with a chance to score the field goal. Though that was a nice 2nd best option I guess. :)

I'll add my congrats in there. As said before, it was the most entertaining Super Bowl I can remember watching. And as much as the on-side kick made a difference, I really think what the big moment was was Manning throwing the interception. Had he not, I'm positive it would have been tied up right before the end. It was a great game to watch and I'm really glad that it was the Saints that beat the Colts and not some underdog team that squeaked into the playoffs.

And was it just me or did anyone else think that after the on-side kick that things were going to get much more physical than it did? There were quite a few times during that and a few plays after that I can't believe players weren't called for unnecessary roughness.

I didn't notice that so much, GH, but that hit on Shockey's head was pretty hardcore, and the late hit on the Colts guy was stupid, but they called that one. Could you jog my memory?

On another note, I want to thank my Scarlet Witch Minimate for winning this game for the Saints. In the Vikings game, she "flew" behind the couch after Bush's fumble, and then started causing turnovers left and right. And last night, after she wasn't doing her job, I intentionally threw her back behind the couch right before half-time, and once there, she worked her hex magic very well, keeping Peyton Manning off his game. Thanks, Scarlet Witch!

If somebody has a link to the whole game (and not just highlights) I can probably find them. Ithink the biggest were when they were trying to figure out who had the ball after the kick. There was a lot going on, but in the bottom right corner of the screen there was a player from each team just going at it. Then, a few plays later, somebody got tackled and next to them there was a player from the Saints sitting on top of one of the Colts and it looked like he was choking the living daylights out of him. And they were right in front of a referree. I went back and watched it twice with my wife and couldn't believe it. I think everything was pretty charged and tense after the kick, but I thought some of it was insane. Or maybe not.

Oh, yeah. That's about as intense a scrum as I've seen in the NFL (and understandably so, given the stakes). I would not have wanted to be in that pile. I was so fixated on the pile that I might have missed the stuff going on around it. Maybe the refs were, too :lol:

Edited by karamazov80

I wonder if this is going to affect the "historical" view of Manning as an "all time great" QB. I mean, 9-9 in the playoffs doesn't look so great, particularly when compared with their having more wins in the regular season over the decade than any other team. QBs get too much credit and blame, I think, so just like everyone wanted to put Peyton as indisputably one of the top all time QBs if he won last night, now people are debating if he belongs in such a discussion.

Now Favre only won one Superbowl, and had lots of playoff losses and bad seasons even in his career, but his longevity made him an "automatic first ballot hall of famer." I suspect Manning will be the same, but will people think of him as a QB on the order of Joe Montana, Terry Bradshaw, Tom Brady, or even Troy Aikman? Manning probably is the most talented of that bunch, but winning when it matters most is important to those who rate QBs in such a way.

Edited by karamazov80

True, but Manning's probably got a long career left in him. I can't see him not winning another Super Bowl at some point. Even if he doesn't, by the time his career is over he might well have broken most all of the QB records that stand. I think he'll be a name talked about years from now. And if anything, Brees has talked about how Manning helped inspire him to be what he is so that's got to count for something, right?

Like Shanester, I was a bit annoyed at how everyone over-looked the Saints and just assumed that Manning would kick our asses yesterday (it is being called an "upset" even though both teams were ranked first in their respective conferences going in). But despite all that, I don't dispute how great a QB he is. I think he is one of the all-time great talents, for sure. The question is, can you be considered one of the greatest all time without multiple SB wins? Is Dan Marino considered an all-time great? You are right in that he's probably got another 5-7 years left, anyway (possibly more), and in that time, he's got the potential to break many of Favre's records and a fair chance to get to the SB.

But getting to the Superbowl is HARD, as you no doubt know. Despite having the most wins of any team over the last decade, the Colts only got there twice. I wouldn't consider it a foregone conclusion that they will get there again with Manning. Not only do they have to make it through the playoffs, but once there, they have to beat the best of the best in at least 3 straight games. And Manning isn't living on an island there. His team has to step up and play well also. Just a lot of factors and potential speed bumps.

No. I didn't think the Saints would win.

I thought the Jets had a better defense than the Saints, and I watched the Colts take them apart in the second half.

I knew Brees, Bush, and the rest of the Saints offense had enough firepower to keep them in it, but I didn't think it would be enough.

And I'm man enough to admit to being wrong.

I could point to the excuses, but at the end of the day, the Saints got it done, the Colts did not and they deserve all the credit in the world.

As far as Manning... at least he has the one ring. I've already watched one statistically amazing quarterback be permanently relegated to second class status because he never got a ring. It would have been a shame to see Manning share Marino's fate. But then, the same could be said for Brees.

Yeah, on the other side of the "Manning legacy" debate is Drew Brees. As of now, he's got as many rings as Peyton, and for the last 4 years, on the whole, his stats have been nearly as good as anyone else. I think he at least elevates himself to the position of one of the top 3 or 4 QBs in the league at this point. I think he was there anyway, but now more people should take notice, and maybe he'll get an extra look or two come time to vote for MVP in the future.

As I already mentioned I'm not a football guy regarding where I'm coming from. But watching all the Jets excitement in NY, I got more and more into the game and I am really fascinated. For me, the SuperBowl would have be even more interesting if the Jets would have made it, but I watched the SuperBowl with a couple of friends back here in Germany. That meant through the whole night. And it was awesome! I cheered for New Orleans - you know, you need a team to cheer for to feel real excitement and I chose the Saints for being not the odds-on favorite and also because I know Sam and Shane being from Louisianna, well that's a connection, isn't it? - and I really enjoyed the game! We were on our feet during the 1st, 2nd, 3rd, 4th and goal and cheering for the Saints' amazing interception! I guess that was the perfect introduction to football, right? :D Now I can imagine following more football games in the future.

So congrats to you Saints fans! Well done!