UA-100768763-1 Jump to content

'versers and their avatars

Bob Harris

What is it with all those changing avatars lately?

I mean, of course, everybody is free to change her or his avatar. I'm just a little irritated by those new looks many fellow 'versers come up with these days. :down:

Brother Karamazov and ol' BHM are avatar-Skrulls. Everybody knows that and I've got pretty used to look into different faces from week to week.

I guess it all started when Rad somehow dropped his PyowPyow monkey, had a short tête-à-tête with Cartman and right now has Simon Pegg (I know Rad, but for me it's still him) doing his thumbs-up thing. OK. And then Luke lost his pi-pie and as much as I do love his new mini-him avatar (just like Tenime-art's), I'm a little confused when scrolling through posts. Recently Ivan changed from that terrific MM blank head design to that brilliant drawing. And now TM2 just replaced his what-ever-bot for his new - and glorious - Queen Titania.

Is that a trend? Is NorthRaider getting rid of her Fawkes mask, UK's Minifiend loosing his dancing Nancy Callahan, Aapje his Deadpool custom, Cappy his little green blank mate, Winkerbean his Pennywise, Hulk197 his Hulk#197, Webhead a random Webhead, Shamrock his Red Son Batman or (OMG! :ohmy: ) Shanester drops his Mego Astronaut soon? Just to name a few.

Some avatars are somehow legendary. I do identify most fellow 'versers by those tiny pics you all have and you get used to. And you can't just drop them like a b-movie star trashes his old face after a plastic surgery.

:confused:

Edited by Bob Harris

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hey, at least the man keeps it consistent :lol:

Thanks for this thread Bob, I actually thought I was the only one here who weirdly obsesses over everybody's avatars. (BTW, Cappy's is a scene out of "JP1000 and Friends", which I still miss to death :() Seriously, at one point I was actually considering changing my own avatar from V to *something else* once November (the one-year anniversary of my MMMV membership ;)) comes, but now I'm torn on whether to ditch it or not, seeing as the Skrull approach is mighty-tempting and I vaguely worry over the Fawkes mask's 4chanesque connotations... :ermm:

Obviously members are free to change avatars as they wish, but the whole lore of keeping a single one throughout your tenure on a board is still a wonder to behold in this ephemeral online culture. I remember somewhere on MMMV there lies the rationale behind TBT's avatar (except I can't even remember where he got it from anymore :blink:), and if you know what TBT's avatar looks like then you should get an idea of the whole lore-thing...

Also, I remember that TM2's avatar - Ratchet from Transformers Animated, I think? - wasn't even his regular avatar stance: Once upon a time the man really was true to his nature with a revolving gallery of Black Cats.

One final note: I miss Jatta Pake's old avatar, none other than Evil JP, the Overlord of Minimate Headquarters himself.

Some avatars are somehow legendary.

TBT, Shanester, Ady...

Have I joined that pantheon or have I changed too much in the 2 years I've been here? I think I've used maybe... 3 total. But I remember when TBT was the Iron Man movie poster done in Minimate form... But I digress.

Yeah, I've done 3: Starfleet Command, I Believe in Harvey Dent, and Magikarp. I was thinking of changing back to command. Would that be a mistake?

Yeah, for me Bob, it's always about the bald guys. For the longest I had a Lex Luthor avatar and on some boards I use the South Park Trek avatars Cappy made for me back in the day. To be honest, I look more at peoples names than their avatars these days, but I get your meaning. Remeber though, change is good :D

Edited by The_Donster

Well Trekker I was barely around during your early Starfleet days, so I've gotten somewhat attached to your old Aaron Eckhart one. But Magikarp makes me laugh, and he brings back memories of when I used to be a diehard fan of the cartoon :D So in other words, I don't know :blink:

Yeah, for me Bob, it's always about the bald guys. For the longest I had a Lex Luthor avatar and on some boards I use the South Park Trek avatars Cappy made for me back in the day. To be honest, I look more at peoples names than their avatars these days, but I get your meaning. Remeber though, change is good :D

Didn't you used to have a cartoon Grim Reaper one, though?

Heavens to Betsy, my visual memory is more horrifying than I thought.

Well Trekker I was barely around during your early Starfleet days, so I've gotten somewhat attached to your old Aaron Eckhart one. But Magikarp makes me laugh, and he brings back memories of when I used to be a diehard fan of the cartoon :D So in other words, I don't know :blink:

You liked Harvey? I may switch back to him then...

I don't know either. Anyone else want to chime in on this? Keep it, Harvey, or Starfleet?

I think this is my 3rd avatar I had on here and can still remember my first one and if I had the picture I would prob use this that one still. I see alot of cool avatars on different forums I lurk around on and have at times been tempted to change but Nancy keeps mesmerising me.

Just for nostalgia sake my first avatar was just a head shot of the kingpin minimate with the Ultimate Jean Grey hairpiece on. It may not sound great but if you can do this put the pieces together and you have a perfect Peggy Butcher from Eastenders head :)

And you can't just drop them like a b-movie star trashes his old face after a plastic surgery.

:confused:

Sure you can!

<<

See? :lol:

I have a handful that I flip through pretty consistently on this and other boards, and sometimes I will see something cool that inspires me to change it, but honestly, I never really thought that much about it. I just get tired of seeing one after a while, and feel like changing it. I didn't think it mattered to anyone else, but I might try to stick to two or three of the same so that people will know who I am.

Edited by karamazov80

You know, mine is usually Black Cat, or Black Cat with the Decepticon logo, or Black Cat frenching Spidey... Then I had this one. it was too cute not to do!

Now it's Titania. I just love that shot of her. Worked out so well. Don't worry, I'll be back to my beloved kitty soon enough. Except for during Halloween. I always change to Die-No-Bot during Halloween (used to be Rape-The-Con til I got complaints [Rapticon was the TM2 Dinobot repaint in Beast machines]) And what's odd is I don't even celebrate Halloween!

Dangnabbit, Bob! Now you made me want to change back to Black Cat!

WAIT A MINUTE! I just remembered the Daniel Craig one! Gah, I hate my creepy memory... :blink:

Oh carp... I forgot about that... and the joke that came with it!

Ugh... Curse my faulty memory.

Obviously members are free to change avatars as they wish, but the whole lore of keeping a single one throughout your tenure on a board is still a wonder to behold in this ephemeral online culture. I remember somewhere on MMMV there lies the rationale behind TBT's avatar (except I can't even remember where he got it from anymore), and if you know what TBT's avatar looks like then you should get an idea of the whole lore-thing...

One final note: I miss Jatta Pake's old avatar, none other than Evil JP, the Overlord of Minimate Headquarters himself.

I guess I know what you mean with the whole "ephemeral online culture" idea.

And I bet there are a lot of cool avatars I just don't get. I just re-read the name and avatar thread and stumbled upon a few pics that must have been really cool but are now removed.

Some avatars are somehow legendary.

Yeah, I've done 3: Starfleet Command, I Believe in Harvey Dent, and Magikarp. I was thinking of changing back to command. Would that be a mistake?

I really loved that Harvey Dent avatar of yours. And until now I had absolutely no idea who or what your actual avatar is. Now I know googled. :P

Nancy keeps mesmerising me.

Seconded

I haven't felt any need to change from Six, she's been my avatar for years now. Plus my tagline makes more sense with her there

What? :blink:

Now it's Titania. I just love that shot of her. Worked out so well. Don't worry, I'll be back to my beloved kitty soon enough.

I do understand that. It's a great picture. But I'm looking forward to see another Black Cat as well. :D

I didn't think it mattered to anyone else, but I might try to stick to two or three of the same so that people will know who I am.

No, feel free to keep shape-shifting! Like I said, I got totally used to your and BHM's and maybe groundhog's erratic behavior. :P

Funniest av-2793.gif

That is a great one. Sometimes I open up the forum just to have a look at that munching fellow. :wub:

I think I've changed mine twice since we have been MMV rather than the old AA site.

My current avatar is Shodan from the System Shock videogames, Go look at wikipedia for a longer explanation of who she is.

Before that was ( as T42 pointed out) my entry to the minimate movie poster contest. As most of you know I'm kind of an IM nut and was pretty proud of the image and how I made it.

Before that was.... well darned if I can remember!

As you say some avatars are legendary and the one that really stands out is Shanesters as he's had that in various forms since WAY before the multiverse was a twinkle in Ady's eye...

T.

p.s. Just to freak Bob out we should all change our avatars to the same as his!!!

I am on the fence on this one. I like to see the same avatar for people, it kind of gives a face to the members here. But at the same time it's fun to see the different avatars people come up with. I have only had 3 different ones myself, and the first 2 were just different versions of the same thing. The current one is me with a slightly modified head. I have thought to chang it recently, but I feel like I would somehow be loosing my identity.

BS

Yep, I've had Death with a can of beer, holding his scythe, Marvel's Watcher, Evil Monkey, the Ranger Crest and various others through the years, but for the most part it was Lex Luthor. Now I try and find Hitman avatars or things that look interesting to me. Being a bald guy though, there aren't very many options other than the obvious Professor X :blush:

I find if you don't pay attention to what other people say, it really doesn't matter what the avatars look like.

It does if all you care about are the avatars.

I feel like I would somehow be loosing my identity.

zartan.jpg

Zartan is my idol, so I'm glad to be emulating him.

Edited by karamazov80