UA-100768763-1 Jump to content

Who were the final 16?

hellpop

Remember when DC Direct broke all our hearts and decided not to do any more DC Minimates last year? Sure you do. Anyway, they (or Art Asylum) said that they had designed two more waves, but they weren't being produced. Was it ever revealed who those were? Anyone have any idea? Am I just setting myself up to be depressed by asking?

I kind of hope we never find out since it'd be so fucking disappointing to know what we aren't getting because of poor choices to discontinue the line (my opinion).

Word. I don't want to know who the next sixteen would have been until they are telling us who the next sixteen will be.

I think somebody left it over in a Street Fighter thread.

I would be interested in knowing if they even had a plan for these. It's be nice to get some kind of inside scoop into how this line progressed (and degressed) and when they decided to end it. It sucks that DCD isn't very fan accessible. Maybe if they were, they could put out some better product.

Hey guys, where's that "beating a dead horse" emoticon? I'm just saying...

I guess this really can't be considered "beating a dead horse" since this is a legitimate mystery... wasn't it iron-Cow or somebody who said he knew who they were but just wasn't allowed to say so because of DCD?

I kinda like karamazov's guess (I'm almost POSITIVE they'd do Martian Manhunter), but I'm hoping they would've at LEAST put in some of Batman's most iconic villains in too (like Mr. Freeze, Two-face or Poison Ivy). Oh, and maybe Black Canary too, though that seems highly unlikely.

Its hard to think that Alan Scott, Grundy, Kyle Rayner, Black Canary, & The Atom wouldn't have been in there somewhere along with a redone Martian Manhunter, Darkseid & some BatSupeWonder stuff.. and then of course some lesser knowns mixed in which I would have loved.

Ya, this has been beat.. but this remains the saddest stopping of a collectible in my life. I'm still hoping for a couple box sets and maybe then we will see some of what they had planned for the last two waves. Really if the above were done and done right then I could let this rest in peace. :)

Hey guys, where's that "beating a dead horse" emoticon? I'm just saying...

I guess this really can't be considered "beating a dead horse" since this is a legitimate mystery... wasn't it iron-Cow or somebody who said he knew who they were but just wasn't allowed to say so because of DCD?

I kinda like karamazov's guess (I'm almost POSITIVE they'd do Martian Manhunter), but I'm hoping they would've at LEAST put in some of Batman's most iconic villains in too (like Mr. Freeze, Two-face or Poison Ivy). Oh, and maybe Black Canary too, though that seems highly unlikely.

Yeah. . . i was pretty unchuffed that they missed so many great opportunities like Ivy, Two-Face & Freeze (would have been the BEST MiniMate of the line) in favour of 'Battle Damage’ characters & Ambush Bug.

Having said that, it's commendable that they did their best to keep new characters coming out & to fill out the lines with supporting cast members rather than making 18 WonderWomen (Iron Men), 19 Supermen (Wolverine) & 29 Batmen (Spiderman).

Maybe their commitment to a diverse spread of characters is (sadly) what contributed to the downfall of the line?

I'm still hoping for a couple box sets

If they gave me classic Titans (Wonder Girl, Kid Flash (yellow), Aqualad, Speedy) and a couple of Golden Age JSA sets (Mr. Terrific, Sandman, Hourman, Dr. Mid-Nite, Starman, Atom, Star-Spangled Kid), then I would be completely contented. BUT, some more JLA, Bat-Villains, and Legion of Super Heroes members wouldn't bother me one bit.

At least we got way more of the "Justice League International" line-up than we should have. I can't complain too much when they gave me Beetle, Booster (my gateway to Minimates, btw), and Guy Gardner. I bet poor G'Nort and Fire and Ice were amongst those unreleased :(

I'm hoping it's not revealed as if the line up for the last figures was stellar I would be sick. I also must be in the minority with the DCD mates as I liked the choosing of obscure characters I just thought it was cool. I may have never read an Ambush Bug comic but he has his fan base I'm sure that where glad to see a figure of any sort of him.

I was sad to see the end of DCD mates because they where touching on older stuff and just expanding into the Elseworlds universes which I myself really liked and even though they had a few different bats and supes it wasn't being flogged to death like marvel does with its mates.

I agree with the thought of a Red Son Batman-- maybe even a Red Son Green Lantern. I was lead to believe they'd follow that theme for abit. Not sure which specific characters they'd make, but I was hoping for a Beast Boy really.

I don't really care. All I really wanted was a Beast Boy.

Well, that and maybe a Two-Face...

and Black Manta...

and Parasite...

and Plastic Man...

and Scarecrow...

and Dr. Impossible...

and Doomsday...

You know what?

FUCK YOU DCD!

Edited by Iowa

Given the selection of the last few waves, DCD was trying a little bit of everything, from brand-spanking new characters like Batwoman 2.0 and Question 2.0 to Elseworlds incarnations of Superman and Wonder Woman. They didn't shy away from offbeat choices like Ma Hunkel or Ambush Bug and played with larger and different body styles with Clayface and Salaak. Something tells me the Final 16 would make us all cry, one way or another.

I'd love to know what they planned. It would be interesting to see how close they might have come to completing one team or another, since initially the stated (IIRC) that was kind of an intent or possibility with Mates. Or maybe it was more that any character was possible.

Anyway, I'd be curious. Sure it'd suck to know I never will get those mates, but at the same time nice to at least have one more very minor taste of a line that died way too early.