UA-100768763-1 Jump to content

Ghostbusters Minimates-Movies

• 2 months later...
  • Replies 2.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Do they make a lot of polystone pieces this big? Sideshow's Premium Format statues are about 20 inches tall, and go for around $350-380, although those often have cloth costumes or light-up features. But I don't know the comparative material cost of vinyl vs. polystone.

I think shipping is a big price factor -- the box for just one of these things takes up a lot of space in a shipping container, and they're HEAVY. Our 11" bank costs $23, and this one is twice as tall, twice as wide, and the plastic is at LEAST twice as thick, which means it could use as much as 8 times the material? Probably more? At that point, it weighs as much as a large polystone statue.

Mattel's Stay Puft was 21" tall, and originally went for $70, as far as i can tell, but I have heard some stories about it. I know it came with a diorama.

I was setting cost expectations based on the Mattel one, which I had. The diorama was basically just the box it came in, that you could fold out into a city street with the firehouse and Ecto-1 in the background. But I got rid of it because the material was starting to yellow, and frankly didn't feel very durable. Retail for this one is almost twice as much. . .I was planning on getting this to display with my 12" figures somehow, but not so sure now.

Edited by karamazov80

Well, polystone is also getting expensive. I guess my thinking is in what I am buying. Banks tend to be relatively inexpensive. Maybe I have just been out of the bank buying game for too long. I understand that in comparison to some similar products, the price might not be so far off, but it just seems really steep for what it is. I hope people find it worth every penny and buy them up. I just got sticker shock, I think. ermm.gif

We were still pricing it when we showed the prototypes at SDCC, and the estimate we gave people was about $100, and most of them didn't even blink at that. I was kind of amazed, but seeing it in person might make the difference. Most of them were holding it when they asked, and tried to buy it.

We were still pricing it when we showed the prototypes at SDCC, and the estimate we gave people was about $100, and most of them didn't even blink at that. I was kind of amazed, but seeing it in person might make the difference. Most of them were holding it when they asked, and tried to buy it.

Well, I'd say you've done your market research. If it were a 24" minimate, this discussion wouldn't even be taking place.

If you're looking for cheap Ghostbusters figures, I saw some at Big Lots the other day.

I was very tempted.

Was it the Ghostbusters 2 12" 2-packs? They are a really good deal at $30. I bought the only two they had locally, basically just for the proton packs and tubes that go into their flight suits, but still very worth it.

Well, polystone is also getting expensive. I guess my thinking is in what I am buying. Banks tend to be relatively inexpensive. Maybe I have just been out of the bank buying game for too long. I understand that in comparison to some similar products, the price might not be so far off, but it just seems really steep for what it is. I hope people find it worth every penny and buy them up. I just got sticker shock, I think. ermm.gif

Yeah, I'm not exactly shocked by it, but it does somehow feel like it's more than it should be, and I think a big part of that was what Matty's figure cost. Maybe that's a perception based on ignorance regarding vinyl banks, though. I might still end up biting, but if you're factoring in shipping, this could be $130 or so shipped.

If you're looking for cheap Ghostbusters figures, I saw some at Big Lots the other day.

I was very tempted.

Was it the Ghostbusters 2 12" 2-packs? They are a really good deal at $30. I bought the only two they had locally, basically just for the proton packs and tubes that go into their flight suits, but still very worth it.

$30 for the 12 inch figures?! Wow. If anyone can hook me up any of these it would be massively appreciated.

Well, I guess banks are just expensive. I consider MSRP on the DST bust banks high, now that I think about it. I have the Creature from the Black Lagoon (a work of art) and Darth Maul, but I got both of them at 75% off at Hastings. I want a couple of the Star Wars clone banks, but haven't been in a hurry to pony up for them.

You got the Creature for $6? Wow.

UK Collector, I would totally pick up a set for you (I owe you!), but that Big Lots was an hour away, I was visiting family. I'll see if there's a closer one to me.

They also had the 6-inch blue-coat Ray and Viggo the Carpathian for $10 each. If I wasn't on a budget (and had anything else from that line), I'd have picked those up for myself.

They also had MOTU Princess Adora, Count Marzo and the Faceless One. Not a MOTU collector, but all were tempting.

You got the Creature for $6? Wow.

Yep, Hastings had a clearance sale. I got a crap load of Minimates too, but the Creature bust was a huge score and I am looking at it right now. Beauty. And at something close to 1/4 scale, nice size, plenty of detail. The Maul I gave to a friend, but could not pass him up at the price. I will buy the clone commanders at some point, especially Appo. I really like them.