UA-100768763-1 Jump to content

Ghostbusters Minimates-Movies

... I just realized I don't have this set yet. (hint hint)

Remember that time we used to complain there weren't enough "baddies" in the Minimate line? I think this set now sort of paints that dilemma in a new light.

I still can't think this is a good indication that "bad guy sets don't sell", considering they're not from something very familiar. To Ghostbusters fans that play the game, maybe (I don't play it)... but for everybody else I just don't know. I could make the arguement for comic villains... but that wouldn't be the same as movie stuff.

• Replies 2.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I still can't think this is a good indication that "bad guy sets don't sell", considering they're not from something very familiar. To Ghostbusters fans that play the game, maybe (I don't play it)... but for everybody else I just don't know. I could make the arguement for comic villains... but that wouldn't be the same as movie stuff.

Maybe DST can try to aim for some crossover-marketing for this set? Obviously not everyone who played this game is a Minimate collector and vise versa; maybe for a better chance at selling through they should try to market these as some generic monster-type villains for the DC/Marvel magic-based characters and other guys to wail on. You know, to fill the void while we're still waiting on mates of the canon villains.

Maybe DST can try to aim for some crossover-marketing for this set? Obviously not everyone who played this game is a Minimate collector and vise versa; maybe for a better chance at selling through they should try to market these as some generic monster-type villains for the DC/Marvel magic-based characters and other guys to wail on. You know, to fill the void while we're still waiting on mates of the canon villains.

That'd sure be neat. I think had the Ghostbusters set been recognizable characters that could've made a big difference. Stay Puft, Gozer, Terror Dog, Library Ghost, Slimer, Vigo, etc. Of course those would've just pissed off us minimate collectors (or me, at least) if it was the only place to get them (by buying an expensive/needless video game).

Also, had the ghosts been less specific and been more generic "ghosts" rather than demoney-spirits would've been a bigger selling point for me. Think more Titanic Captain or Library Ghost OR generic floating spirits (hollow eyes, open toothless mouth and some wispy sleeves and skirt/sheet) would've been super cool. Heck, the Chef was the coolest one... but that cartooney eyeball on his face made it a major lost cause.

Ahh well, just me being gripey.

... but that cartooney eyeball on his face made it a major lost cause.

Ahh well, just me being gripey.

Raising your concerns isn't ,IMO, being gripey & your point about being 'cartooney' is what I fear may happen with RGB. One of the main attributes of Minimates is their compatibility with each other & GB Minimates succesfully trod the line until the 'Amazon' set came out & then they crossed it. That is very much my own opinion & I'm happy enough by appearing to be in the minority with it . If DST show the 'human' characters outlandishly caricatured then they may well be making a big mistake.

Hypocritically I have always hankered after some cartooney Hannah -Barabara mates of any description..... especially Flintstones & Scoobey-Doo......but DST need to be careful .

• 2 weeks later...

So I just rewatched GB 1 & 2 over the weekend, as I was sorting my loose GB Minimates :thumbsup: and was surprised to see the number of costume variations that DST never approached with this line, particularly in GB2.

Also, in GB2, they are seen in both the tan and dark grey suits with just the proton packs, not just the slime blower packs in tan so, we didn't get a complete set of the tan GB2 suits in Minimate form!

From what I can tell, DST would need to make the following:

- Ghostbusters 2 Ray (tan with Proton pack)

- Ghostbusters 2 Winston (tan with Proton pack)

I may pick up an extra 'Slime Blower' boxset and just make custom name tag decals, since DST has announced they are pretty much done with the movie line.

We all know about GB1 Janine getting overlooked, but the upcoming RGB Janine may make a good base for a custom.

We never got a Louis Tully (or Winston in a suit for that matter - where did he go when the Scolari ghosts showed up? Did he just run away?) from the GB2 courtroom scene, but a simple QC is the GB2 Louis Tully head/hair on a wave 37 Professor X suit body.

Here's an example I photoshopped together from Ivan's Database pix:

louiscourt.jpg

This would have been a complete part reuse mate that they could have had the sweater tampo on the chect block under the jacket piece:

nq5wb_tne.jpg

• 3 weeks later...
Anyone have any idea what scale Minimates are in, generally speaking?

I think 1:18th scale cars (well Batmobiles, which I think have a little wiggle room if they're too big) seem about right, but some people think 1:24th scale is better since the cars aren't taller then the mates that way.

http://www.millionaireplayboy.com/toys/bttfmm.php there's a picture here of Marty next to a 1:18th amd 1:24th scale Delorean if that helps.

Cheers for the info guys, I'm definitely no mathlete :)

BBTS is using the 1:43 scale image for both the 1:18 and 1:43 scale Ecto-1s. You would think that if they are trying to get $100.00 for the larger one, they would want to use the correct image. They are both waaaaay over-priced either way.

Both listings say it's only a "representative image" -- I think it's probably a photo of the smaller Hot Wheels release from last year.

Edited by battlecat

I have always considered that 1/35 is Minimate size & is about right......however with vehicles it doesn't seem to work that way IMO & experience. The Ertl Ecto-1 is one of the few but very necessary Vehicles I have & Minimate Marty looks great in the seat (with his legs removed) & in most areas but there is no way that the vehicles proportions are correct overall......it is 1:21 (?). Unbeatable.

• 1 month later...

very forgettable as nothing is new in the rehash set that I'm aware of =P

really wish the final boxset could have had some new mates

SlimeBlower Winston in dark gray for instance...

Judge Wexler (the Hammer)

Accountant Attire Louis Tully

Ghost-Nanny Janosz

just my little wish-list

very forgettable as nothing is new in the rehash set that I'm aware of =P

really wish the final boxset could have had some new mates

SlimeBlower Winston in dark gray for instance...

Judge Wexler (the Hammer)

Accountant Attire Louis Tully

Ghost-Nanny Janosz

just my little wish-list

I agree with you, especally with dark gray Winston. I always loved the dark gray over the tan, and feel my dark gray collection is now "in complete" as we don't have DG SB Winston or second DG Egon to complete TRU wave 4 Peter and Ray (espeally when they're just a DG re-paint of the ones from the boxset). Makes me wonder if they were for TRU wave 5 but TRU 4 didn't do well enough to warrent it.

And personally I would trade movie one Janine for Ghost-Nanny Janosz. I know it's probably the last movie ghost that needs to be made, but even as an adult that one freaks me out, and I got over my childhood fear of Gozer...