UA-100768763-1 Jump to content

I want a bag of blank minimates! Who is with me?

hulk197

How about petitioning DST to make a bag of blanks? I would love various colors and they wouldn't even have to be the clear kind like the SDCC promos. Although a plain, clear, uncolored minimate would rock! I know it would be easy for them to do, since they did it for FCBD. A bag of 5 or ten randomly colored minimates would satisfy lots of us. I'd even be willing to kick in some cash with the rest of the multiverse to make it happen.

I know it's expensive to get exclusives made, but if we all chipped in it wouldn't be so bad. There would be minimal packaging costs, no tampos to deal with, no accessories whatsoever. Are there 300 members here? 200? Let's say we got 150 people to chip in, at $100 per person that's $15000 right there. I would donate $100 to get these made and I'd even then buy a couple bags. I'm sure something could be worked out where we could set up a cafepress store or paypal account to collect money from members for pre-orders too. I'd even take on the responsibility if need be. We could work out how many would be either given to the members who funded it, or at what discounted price they could buy them. Then the rest could be sold to members and anyone else. Hell, put a few bags on ebay for non-members to bid on too.

Has this been discussed before? Not a character exclusive but the blanks idea... What does everyone / anyone else think? Is this way off? Am I insane? Teaching math to middle and high school kids is starting to mess with my mind!! I know money is tight these days as well, but I'm still throwing this out there.

How about petitioning DST to make a bag of blanks? I would love various colors and they wouldn't even have to be the clear kind like the SDCC promos. Although a plain, clear, uncolored minimate would rock! I know it would be easy for them to do, since they did it for FCBD. A bag of 5 or ten randomly colored minimates would satisfy lots of us. I'd even be willing to kick in some cash with the rest of the multiverse to make it happen.

I know it's expensive to get exclusives made, but if we all chipped in it wouldn't be so bad. There would be minimal packaging costs, no tampos to deal with, no accessories whatsoever. Are there 300 members here? 200? Let's say we got 150 people to chip in, at $100 per person that's $15000 right there. I would donate $100 to get these made and I'd even then buy a couple bags. I'm sure something could be worked out where we could set up a cafepress store or paypal account to collect money from members for pre-orders too. I'd even take on the responsibility if need be. We could work out how many would be either given to the members who funded it, or at what discounted price they could buy them. Then the rest could be sold to members and anyone else. Hell, put a few bags on ebay for non-members to bid on too.

Has this been discussed before? Not a character exclusive but the blanks idea... What does everyone / anyone else think? Is this way off? Am I insane? Teaching math to middle and high school kids is starting to mess with my mind!! I know money is tight these days as well, but I'm still throwing this out there.

Yeah good luck with that.. in theory a good idea, in reality it's not feasible.

Firstly Please do not contact DST "on behalf of the Multiverse" Shane and his team have worked very hard to build a relationship with them and if this sort of thing was to happen is should go through someone like Shane.

Secondly having a lot of people say they will chip in and 'count me in' is VERY different from having people actually put their money where their mouth is.

Trust me you're flogging a dead horse with this one...

T.

I'd love a bag of blanks (lol at initials [b.A.B.]), but I can't chip in any money seeing as I have none and I'm 14, so my mom would need to do it. Sorry, but she doesn't trust any sites that people we know don't use...

They should make some of the following-

One colored blank bags. (Just all of one color.)

All colored blank bags. (Random colored blanks.)

One colored clear bags. (All clears of one color.)

All colored clear bags. (All colors.)

Or mix-match bags with both blanks and clears...

(In my dreams... -.-)

I wasn't planning on contacting DST with this. Just an idea to throw out there to the members and see what people would think. Is it so outrageous to think that it might be possible, though? Granted, I haven't built the relationship with them like Shane and other members here, but if they (DST) say that with enough money they will do a store exclusive, why not for us?

I also understand the economics and hassle of getting it done. I get that people might say they'll contribute and never do it, believe me, I've been in that situation of being left high and dry before and I wouldn't want myself or any other members here getting stuck.

Again, I don't know what has been proposed to DST by Shane or any other staff member here. If this has been discussed with DST and shot down already that's fine and I understand. It's still interesting to see what others might want out of a blank bag assortment.

This has already been discussed and it's not going to happen anytime soon. At least, not as a multiverse-only thing. Sorry to burst your bubble, but this is not likely. I'll let someone who has crunched the numbers explain, but its almost impossible.

Yeah good luck with that.. in theory a good idea, in reality it's not feasible.

Firstly Please do not contact DST "on behalf of the Multiverse" Shane and his team have worked very hard to build a relationship with them and if this sort of thing was to happen is should go through someone like Shane.

Secondly having a lot of people say they will chip in and 'count me in' is VERY different from having people actually put their money where their mouth is.

Trust me you're flogging a dead horse with this one...

T.

TBT, you always say this when the subject comes up and while I agree that it is different to talk about than actually act on, we've never ACTUALLY tried to act on this, have we? Why not, at the least, try to set up a poll, get members maybe to PM someone organizing the thing stating about how much they'd be willing to pitch in, and just get an idea on if this could ever be feasible. I'm not saying "let's do this", I'm saying instead of just thinking that no one will actually put money forth when it comes down to it, we could actually ask around and get responses and some actual info on who;d all pitch in.

it amazes me how internet boards "go back to the well" over and over.

petition DST...seriously?

tell you what, someone come up with some seed money, contact DST about cost...then drum up interest and ask for donations to get it made.

We did this shit about a year, year and a half ago...someone (can not remember who) posted about a SF2 2 pack, stated they had the money and was going to go to DST to get em made. Everyone on the board lended their 2 cents as to...I would buy 5...etc. In the end we never heard anything else.

over and over again.

I wish newbies were required to do some reading before they can post.

man i am grumpy tonight!

TBT, you always say this when the subject comes up and while I agree that it is different to talk about than actually act on, we've never ACTUALLY tried to act on this, have we? Why not, at the least, try to set up a poll, get members maybe to PM someone organizing the thing stating about how much they'd be willing to pitch in, and just get an idea on if this could ever be feasible. I'm not saying "let's do this", I'm saying instead of just thinking that no one will actually put money forth when it comes down to it, we could actually ask around and get responses and some actual info on who;d all pitch in.

Deadpool, Do you honestly think I haven't done the homework on this topic?

I may be the forums resident grizzled/grumpy old man but even you'd have to admit I'm right 95% of the time when it comes to this sort of stuff?

You don't think for example, when I did the bombermate that Adam (Who used to be one of the VP's at AA - Info for the newbies to the minimate world.) and I didn't discuss doing them as a factory tampo? Simple fact is that we twisted that through every angle possible but couldn't get the numbers to work. That was just the first time I've played this game and certainly not the last ...

Trust me that without someone commited to it who has both deep pockets and a lot of time and availability or organise it this is not going to happen.

Feel free to have polls and bandy the idea about for fun but dont expect anything to come of it.

T.

p.s. I'd like to repeat my comment that nobody should contact DST about this and reference the multiverse without talking to Shane first, He's worked damn hard to build a relationship and I wouldn't want anyone to confuse or tarnish that.

This has been discussed with the guys at DST more times than the rebirth of Street Fighter Minimates. DST does not feel that blanks would sell. However, speaking unofficially, there has been some talk of generic figure packs, but they may never see the light of day if RETAILERS do not buy them.

Let me reiterate this again for some of the newer folks. DST would probably make ANY figure imaginable, but if retailers do not show interest, they can't sell it. DST is a business and they make what sells. You and I buy a few packs here and there but it is the retailers who often determine what does and does not get made.

I may be the forums resident grizzled/grumpy old man...

Did Buttheadsmate die?

But more on topic, I can probably shed a bit of light on this as well. MMHQ toyed with some ideas about doing an exclusive something in the past, and while the idea certainly hasn't been put to bed yet, it was definitely put on hold when we started talking with DST about numbers. I can only tell you the information that was given to me about a year or so ago, as I cannot say that the same numbers would be associated with all projects, since the bulk of the order could affect price ranges, and the ever changing economy could have had numerous substantial effects on the process as well.

But here's what was told to me:

EDIT: Decided against speaking specifics, but the general thing to take away is that ordering a run of Minimates means you have to have a minimum run number. Anything less than a minimum and it isn't even worth turning on the machines at the factory. Your minimum run is going to cost you a pretty decent price, which you'll need to pony up front. You don't just get the Minimates then pass the profit you made back along to DST later. Depending on how fancy you want to get with your 'mates will affect your cost. Basic blanks will be cheaper than, say, your own version of the Hunt 'mate. Packaging would also affect cost. Baggies are cheaper than boxes. I'd offer specifics, but the numbers are likely dependent on the project, so what might be true for one may not be so for another. Plus, the boot TBT planted up my ass tells me that quoting numbers might be a bad idea. What size shoe are you, TBT? Feels like an 11.

As has been said by others, DST loves this community, but they are a business first, meaning they have to look out for their own well being. While they've certainly managed to toss the occasional freebie our way in the past, its a lot different to part ways with some bulk stock than it is to produce a new run of stock at a reduced rate. So, if you want to see anything even remotely close to what you're thinking ever happen, you'll have to pony up a significant amount of initial investment to even get the project off the ground, and you'll find yourself sitting on excess stock, regardless of how much initial support you think you have for the project.

Jaycen is another person to talk to about the numbers, as he had a run of the Emerald City Comic Con mates produced, which is the closest we've had to an individual sponsor any sort of produced Minimate.

Edited by drgnrbrn316

I'm not argumentative by nature but are you implying that there were 3000 each of the SDCC 2008 blanks produced ?

Just asking.

Maybe since it was a promotion, they didn't mind taking a bit of a loss on them. I don't mean to speak for drgn, and this is complete speculation from someone who has no idea re: the ins and outs of DST/Art Asylum, but I think he was saying that you would need to produce that many for them to only cost potential buyers $2 each. You could no doubt produce less and pay less in an absolute sense, but end up paying substantially more per figure. So, they might have only produced 500 or so of each color, and could chalk it up as "advertising expenses."

Edited by karamazov80

I'm not argumentative by nature but are you implying that there were 3000 each of the SDCC 2008 blanks produced ?

Just asking.

I would say not, for a start they were all clear and then the color added as a coat which makes it one minimate plus paint.

Secondly because these were for DST themselves they probably have some wiggle room to request that the factory to bung a short run of them on the end of a run as a favor.

BTW Dragon I would be very carefull about publishing quoted figures openly like that. Diamond may have quoted you but they really do not like these production numbers and costs being thrown out in public. Any time people ask Chuck for numbers in things like Q&A's or at cons his stock response is we don't give that sort of information out.

T.

Just asking.

I would say not, for a start they were all clear and then the color added as a coat which makes it one minimate plus paint.

Secondly because these were for DST themselves they probably have some wiggle room to request that the factory to bung a short run of them on the end of a run as a favor.

BTW Dragon I would be very carefull about publishing quoted figures openly like that. Diamond may have quoted you but they really do not like these production numbers and costs being thrown out in public. Any time people ask Chuck for numbers in things like Q&A's or at cons his stock response is we don't give that sort of information out.

T.

Why IYO don't they give that info out? 3000 SDCC blanks (750 x4 colours) .....? That would be right IMO.

For the record, when I said "petition DST" I didn't mean literally present them with a document and signatures. I just wanted to bring it up here to determine interest. And again, I never intended to ask them anything on behalf of the multiverse or myself. I wasn't going to contact them at all.

Why all the negativity? Ok, it's been brought up before, so what. Where is the harm in talking about it? I read the SF posts and I get the logistics involved. I wish I had the money myself to fully fund something like this but I don't. But I would definitely contribute some cash to make it happen! I'm just saying it's possible if enough people got involved. So I figured why not throw it at the wall and see what sticks?

Just from me, as extraordinary of a number as $6000 is, I don't think it's unreachable. That's not to say I'd know how to get it, but... It seems to me with the right people, enough work, and maybe some kind of fundraiser (Charitymates-esque thing except for the MMMV?) that it may be doable. I mean...

6000/60 is $100 per member

6000/100 is $60 per member

6000/200 is $30 per member

I don't think we could get 200 people to donate, but I'm willing to bet that with some real work and pestering to members we could get something off the ground. Another idea that just sprung to mind is that of a "minimate garage sale" type thing, where we get people to contribute minimates or even other toys they could spare and then sell the whole lot, or parts or even the individuals for the highest offers with all the proceeds going towards this thing.

Again, I'm not saying let's do that right now, I just want to be productive instead of sitting here saying it'll never happen.

For the record, when I said "petition DST" I didn't mean literally present them with a document and signatures. I just wanted to bring it up here to determine interest. And again, I never intended to ask them anything on behalf of the multiverse or myself. I wasn't going to contact them at all.

Why all the negativity? Ok, it's been brought up before, so what. Where is the harm in talking about it? I read the SF posts and I get the logistics involved. I wish I had the money myself to fully fund something like this but I don't. But I would definitely contribute some cash to make it happen! I'm just saying it's possible if enough people got involved. So I figured why not throw it at the wall and see what sticks?

Just from me, as extraordinary of a number as $6000 is, I don't think it's unreachable. That's not to say I'd know how to get it, but... It seems to me with the right people, enough work, and maybe some kind of fundraiser (Charitymates-esque thing except for the MMMV?) that it may be doable. I mean...

6000/60 is $100 per member

6000/100 is $60 per member

6000/200 is $30 per member

I don't think we could get 200 people to donate, but I'm willing to bet that with some real work and pestering to members we could get something off the ground. Another idea that just sprung to mind is that of a "minimate garage sale" type thing, where we get people to contribute minimates or even other toys they could spare and then sell the whole lot, or parts or even the individuals for the highest offers with all the proceeds going towards this thing.

Again, I'm not saying let's do that right now, I just want to be productive instead of sitting here saying it'll never happen.

Awesome so now you both are saying it can happen despite not listening to those who have tried or wanting to put your money and time on the line to do it... way to inspire guys!

I give up, you people are either not listening or retarded...

Good luck with your project :)

T.

I am perhaps your best (worst) ally here . It works a bit like this ....'you' want something to happen that most everybody else wants but (they)are not prepared to do the leg- & $-work. If you say you'll put the $ up you become the 'big man' who risks all but gains FA. I remember a time when a member (WWFM) was adamant that he would fund the next wave of SF !! I'm not knocking his ambition but .......taintappenin. Chef Duff should be our inspiration & despite my 'reservations' he actually put his 'money where his mouth was' & did it. I slagged Chef Duff Minimates down & I actually regret that I did because he was a pioneer & an inspiration.

I'm not the 'big man' :( but I'm in on any venture to get a genuine MMMV exclusive . Good for you hulk197. Remember 'nil illigitimus carborundum'

Also simply having the money to do an exclusive means nothing. I recently created a custom box set for the owner of Arcana Studios. He has been trying to get a hold of DST for TWO MONTHS just to get some numbers from them on a factory run. He has more than enough money to do this exclusive, and they won't even respond to his e-mails or phone calls, and he owns a reasonably large comics studio.

Edited by luke314pi