UA-100768763-1 Jump to content

Captain America in the movies

rsprin

• Replies 176
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Joe Johnston was announced as the director of the forthcoming Captain America movie. He directed the Rocketeer, Jurassic Park III and Hidalgo, amongst others. Thinking back on these movies, I'm not thinking that this was a bad choice, but damn if I wouldn't love to see Paul Greengrass handle the fighting sequences. Any ideas on who might make a good Steve Rogers?

Joe Johnston was announced as the director of the forthcoming Captain America movie. He directed the Rocketeer, Jurassic Park III and Hidalgo, amongst others. Thinking back on these movies, I'm not thinking that this was a bad choice, but damn if I wouldn't love to see Paul Greengrass handle the fighting sequences. Any ideas on who might make a good Steve Rogers?

John Barrowman ,Captain Jack in Torchwood was asked the question about whether he'd like to be 'Captain America' at an SDCC 'thingy' . I like Torchwood & I have come to like Barrowman which is a necessity here in the UK because he is 'everywhere' in the media 'always'. His reply at SDCC was positive but he was concerned about his previous contractual commitments. My opinion about his suitability has swung from 'no way' to 'yes he'd be good'. I have one reservation about JB & that is that he may be too camp to play the part .

I hate to say it because I also like John Barrowman a lot, but I don't think he could carry the lead role in a movie.

I also think there'd be a bit of an outcry in less open-minded arenas at having an openly gay actor playing an American Icon.

I hate to say it because I also like John Barrowman a lot, but I don't think he could carry the lead role in a movie.

I also think there'd be a bit of an outcry in less open-minded arenas at having an openly gay actor playing an American Icon.

I think he could handle the role* but your more candid view is what I was also wanting to say. I watched 'From here to eternity' yesterday for the first time & I still can't believe that Burt Lancaster was gay ,it still didn't spoil what has now become 'One of my favourite films' , Stunning! Lancaster was awesome,as was Montgomery Clift.

*I so can't help seeing double-entendres everywhere but I'm fighting it ....

I bet Fredric Wertham would've loved to criticize that! :P

I don't like it to pick the sexuality of an actor out as a central theme. I guess that's not appropriate to a good discussion. (No offense, just saying!) I really hope that Cap will not be interpreted as a strong and starry-eyed fightingmachine stereotype thing. The blonde and blueeyed thing is stereotype enough, I guess, but of course he has to look like that! I always thought that Cap - at least in the last years and especiall in the Civil War times - had a very sensitive and thoughtful side and I hope that this will occur as well. Somehow. And if, for any reason, Mr. Barrowman can do that, well, I say take him! But I can't assess how loud "an outcry in less open-minded arenas" would be there. I'm fine with that.

But maybe there is someone out there as perfectly right as Robert Downey Jr. is for Iron Man.

Wait, are you suggesting a Captain America who isn't from the U.S.??!!??

NOT Acceptable. No offense to you UKers (or Germans, or Canadians, etc.) or anything, but. . he is Captain America. He HAS to be an American.

Edited by karamazov80

Wait, are you suggesting a Captain America who isn't from the U.S.??!!??

NOT Acceptable. No offense to you UKers (or Germans, or Canadians, etc.) or anything, but. . he is Captain America. He HAS to be an American.

I don't care where an actor is from as long as they are a good actor...

and they are not canadian. :P

Hmmm John Barrowman is many things but I cant see him as Captain America, I was also at the Torchwood panel ( in fact sitting next to BHM!) but can't see Barrowman being solid enough to pull it off (snicker!).

I guess my view on Cap is that he's very much a lost soul, out of his time and very earnest and serious. It would need someone who can act a darn sight better than barrowman to pull it off without coming across as cheesy.

I havent really given it much thought who should play but will give it some thought and get back to you ;)

T.

• 9 months later...
John Barrowman - Captain America.

.......so Steve Rogers ;)

This

141qghs.jpg

is not Captain America

This is the guy that is rumored to play Captain America.

JensenAckles.jpg

If it were up to me this is who I would cast.

MV5BMTUzMTE2MzYyN15BMl5BanBnXkFyZXN1bWU@

dye his hair blond put 10 lbs of muscle on him and he'd be perfect.

Hmmm John Barrowman is many things but I cant see him as Captain America, I was also at the Torchwood panel ( in fact sitting next to BHM!) but can't see Barrowman being solid enough to pull it off (snicker!).

I guess my view on Cap is that he's very much a lost soul, out of his time and very earnest and serious. It would need someone who can act a darn sight better than barrowman to pull it off without coming across as cheesy.

I havent really given it much thought who should play but will give it some thought and get back to you ;)

T.

There is actually a fantastic episode of Torchwood where we learn where Captain Jack Harkness has 'stolen' his name from. It's set durin the big blitz & even though the themes are not the ones that run through captain america, i think john barrowman displays magnificent sensitivty & gentlemanship (i know - it's not a word). The episode was fantasic and high-lighted how despite his naturally camp character - John can still be extremely subtle and bring a great deal of sub-text to a role when it's needed.

I can't say i can 'see' him as Cap - but i would be more than willing to find out how he handles the job.

(PS: Fans were tearing their hair out at the thought of Michael Keaton playing Batman & someone as crazy as Tim Burton directing him . . . and that turned out rather well in my opinion)

Dammit, now we have to choose between Dean Winchester and Captain Jack Harkness to play Captain America?!

For the record I never watched that much Supernatural and despite me seeing just one season of Doctor Who, I'm somewhat biased for Barrowman :P Though I have to agree it would be nice if there would've been a "makes perfect sense" actor out there for the role like Downey Jr. was for the Tony Stark role...

To go off-topic a bit, is Bucky gonna be showing up in the movie?

Edited by NorthRaider

Dammit, now we have to choose between Dean Winchester and Captain Jack Harkness to play Captain America?!

For the record I never watched that much Supernatural and despite me seeing just one season of Doctor Who, I'm somewhat biased for Barrowman :P Though I have to agree it would be nice if there would've been a "makes perfect sense" actor out there for the role like Downey Jr. was for the Tony Stark role...

That is a good question. Probably since the movie will basically be Cap's Origin story set in WW2 and leading into Avengers. I don't think that anyone thought of RDJ when the Iron Man movie was in it's earliest stages if I am not mistaken RDJ had to audition several times and John Favreau and had to all but get on his knees and beg in order to cast him in the role. Once it was announced it did have the "makes perfect sense" feel to it. Even though it is a bit silly I do hope that Captain America is played by an American. How would the British feel if James Bond or Dr.Who was played by an American?

i agree cap needs to be american.

but what we should be asking is, who will play red skull ;)

edit: i forgot :ohmy: bucky would also be good , opening up a winter soldier part ,and later on bucky cap! :cap:

Edited by Monkey Lord 5000

This is the guy that is rumored to play Captain America.

JensenAckles.jpg

If it were up to me this is who I would cast.

MV5BMTUzMTE2MzYyN15BMl5BanBnXkFyZXN1bWU@

dye his hair blond put 10 lbs of muscle on him and he'd be perfect.

Holy crap! As a supernatural fan I know he could pull off this part.......and if he was playing Cap I think my wife would drag me to the theater for opening night lol

Jeff of the Miniacs

Cap, as a part, has a ton of bagage and expectations. I'd be very hard pressed to think of a current actor or the right age range with enough charisma to pull it off.

That is a good question. Probably since the movie will basically be Cap's Origin story set in WW2 and leading into Avengers. I don't think that anyone thought of RDJ when the Iron Man movie was in it's earliest stages if I am not mistaken RDJ had to audition several times and John Favreau and had to all but get on his knees and beg in order to cast him in the role. Once it was announced it did have the "makes perfect sense" feel to it. Even though it is a bit silly I do hope that Captain America is played by an American. How would the British feel if James Bond or Dr.Who was played by an American?

Barrowman sounds American,looks like a stereotypical Caucasian American & spent most of his early life in America although he's Scottish..... as is Sean Connery ......Pierce Brosnan is Irish & George Lazenby is....... Australian :ohmy: No.....Barrowman isn't Captain America but surely Cap has got to be cast as a guy in his mid-thirties possibly early-forties? Tough call this one but Simon Baker (The Mentalist) definitely looks the part despite the fact he's Tasmanian/Australian but that never stopped Mel Gibson playing the US patriot on many occasions ;)

Edited by buttheadsmate

.....Cap has got to be cast as a guy in his mid-thirties possibly early-forties?

On this we are agreed. Cap need to be around the same age as Tony Stark. I would like to see Eion Bailey. He is relatively unknown and I think that he has the look.

I used to think it weird that in the X-Movies, Jackman is an Aussie playing a Canadian, Famke Jameson/Janssen is Dutch playing an American, Alan Cumming is a Brit playing a German, Brian Cox is a Scot playing an American, etc.

Anyway, regarding Cap, I understand that there might be fine actors from outside the U.S. who can do great American accents and play the part, but surely someone here can do it, too. As I said before, I just don't think a non-American should play Captain America. His nationality is what he is!

Also, I think Cap should look younger than mid-30s. According to Wikipedia, he should have been 23 when he took the Super Soldier Serum. I assume that this slows his aging process substantially, so that he wouldn't look much older than that for a long while. However, I don't know if this is actually the case (Mirymate?). I also think he should be a big guy. the Serum had the effect of serious steroids on Rogers. We saw this to some extent with Blonsky in the Hulk movie, but I think it should be a bit more exaggerated for Cap. So a guy who actually uses steroids might work for what I imagine Cap was supposed to be when he was first created.

Personally, I would prefer a good actor over a big guy, but I think the size of his body is important for Cap, and just getting a guy in good shape might be insufficient to capture the spirit of what Cap is "supposed" to be. I'm sure creative liberties will be taken, however.

Also, I think Cap should look younger than mid-30s. According to Wikipedia, he should have been 23 when he took the Super Soldier Serum. I assume that this slows his aging process substantially, so that he wouldn't look much older than that for a long while. However, I don't know if this is actually the case (Mirymate?). I also think he should be a big guy. the Serum had the effect of serious steroids on Rogers. We saw this to some extent with Blonsky in the Hulk movie, but I think it should be a bit more exaggerated for Cap. So a guy who actually uses steroids might work for what I imagine Cap was supposed to be when he was first created.

Personally, I would prefer a good actor over a big guy, but I think the size of his body is important for Cap, and just getting a guy in good shape might be insufficient to capture the spirit of what Cap is "supposed" to be. I'm sure creative liberties will be taken, however.

Steven Rogers was born in 1922, according to the last OHOTMU information I have on hand. (ANOHOTMU A-Z Update #2, published 2007) There, they state that he attempted to join the Army in early 1940 after seeing a news reel about Nazi atrocities. That would put him at 18. The army officially said no, but quietly accepted the "frail youth" into their experimental Super Soldier Program, Project: Rebirth. Steve spent all of 1940 either getting screened, injected with serum, and then trained to become Captain America. (A side note, Project: Rebirth was repurposed after Erskine's death into the Weapon Plus program... of which Wolverine was the tenth major experimental subject.) Cap's ill fated mission to stop Baron Zemo from stealing that experimental allied drone plane came in early 1945, resulting in his suspended animation in a chunk of ice until his rescue by the Avengers. The Marvel Wiki has his DoB as 1920, with the SSS being administered in 1941, but lack a sitation for either date.

So physically early twenties would be about right for a Captain America origin movie. Which really should be wear you start with Steve. Without the WWII background, the character is forever out of context. (much like you cannot appreciate Tony as Iron Man unless you know the man he was before his kidnapping.) We tend to think of Cap as about ten years older than that, but that stems from the amazingly flexible "ten year span" that says no matter what year it is, the events of Fantastic Four #1 were about ten years ago to the 616. (although by now, they really should be shifting to closer to 12-15, like DC has) So most of the Cap stories we all know and love have him in his early to mid 30's.

To my mind (and research in the matter), Tony is roughly 5 years older than Steve physically, (give or take) and Dr. Pym was probably in his mid 30's or older when he became Ant/Giant-Man "ten years ago". They pretty much stated Jan was 19/20 when she became the Wasp. It's hard to place Don Blake's "age" as an artificial creation of Odin who started life sometime in his medical studies. My "best guess" would put Blake somewhere close to Stark.

But I really strongly agree with K80's statement about getting someone who can act first and foremost and then worrying about the muscles. You can always put the guy through intensive physical training after he gets the part. If he doesn't have the charisma and bearing to play the role, just looking the part isn't going to help but so much.

i can't tell whether anyone suggesting John Barrowman are joking or not. if not... god help you all

i reckon they'll cast someone late 20s-mid/early 30s... who looks a bit younger, and probably make little/no referrence to his age on screen. as for size, surely he'll have to film the scenes before the Serum first, so shouldn't affect their choice, casting-wise. Being British, i really don't mind what nationality the actor is, but i can see why those in the US would feel quite strong about it... Cap essentially is the stars and stripes.

the guy from supernatural pretty much has that sort of look, and isnt a terrible actor... some of the other rumours have made me cringe. I really can't think of anyone who stands out as obvious... i trust them to get it right, wouldn't be suprised at all if it was someone i'd never heard of. Would be a similar sit as Brandon Routh in Superman (also, the training program he was put through was incredible, the guy seemed to literally double in size, despite being rather athletic before hand.)

Last off... i'd say cap should probably be built similar to a linebacker in american football, perfect blend of sheer strength and althetism

So Mirymate or anyone else who might know--does the SSS not delay aging at all?

To bobafett's post, I think a linebacker or running back would be a good sized player to take Cap over, if anyone that size has any ability to act.

Edited by karamazov80