UA-100768763-1 Jump to content

New Q&A stuff from AA's site

Reideen1313

Okay, we have a winner in the "Dumbest Question Ever" category:

"Spidey: Is Spidey done for now [?]"

(Sorry if you're a member here, Brandon; it's not so much that the question is dumb, but if you've been paying attention you'd know that Chuck's answer- "we’re never done with Spidey"- is all too true. :spidey: :biggrin: )

• Replies 2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So...i'm fairly certain that debunks DC and GI Joe?? Definitely at least Joes, if there was ever any doubt. DC, i could imagine them not wanting to spoil that, but Chuck wouldn't have kept saying "they need to come to us about it."

So yea...Toy Fair Reveal won't be DC...anyway...

Chuck owning Kubricks...oh my...

OH!! And the cookies thing is 100% serious. I've done it. I own Battle Beasts. ;) Chuck's a great guy haha. :)

Edited by Twisted Two-Face

So...i'm fairly certain that debunks DC and GI Joe?? Definitely at least Joes, if there was ever any doubt. DC, i could imagine them not wanting to spoil that, but Chuck wouldn't have kept saying "they need to come to us about it."

So yea...Toy Fair Reveal won't be DC...anyway...

Chuck owning Kubricks...oh my...

OH!! And the cookies thing is 100% serious. I've done it. I own Battle Beasts. ;) Chuck's a great guy haha. :)

I dunno, that's been Chuck's standard line for a while, and doesn't mean that they haven't come to them. I'm not saying that it is DC, but I don't think Chuck's answer here swings things one way or the other.

But the GI Joe dream is dead. :(

DSTChuck: 'I do think if history holds the Marvel movies this year will do well and be well received by fans, then you will see some sort of comic based series.'

So - despite all the assumed line-ups being pretty much filled for the year, it seems like we imght possibly see complimentary comic waves to accompany the movie waves. . .

Perhaps Winter Soldier is not so far away after all?

Edited by Nessex

alot of great news here, confirmation on phantom x, a maybe on kang and YAAAYYY MORE SPIDEY'S!!! thats what we all wnt right?!....right?! :P

also the last question was confusing....pop the arm back on? i cant think of anyway a minimate arm could end up un-fixable from regular wear and tear

But the GI Joe dream is dead. :(

Retailers are dropping GI Joe like yesterday's news, but it could end up being a good thing for the chances of GI Joe Minimates. Wal-Mart has pretty much stopped carrying GI Joe, and Target and TRU aren't giving it much shelf space anymore. Production has been scaled way back and Hasbro seems to be aiming at the collectors for the moment with the Pursuit of Cobra line. (Which has been a smash hit with collectors, BTW).

There seems to have been enacted a strategy to try to replicate the Clone Wars cartoon success with the GI Joe Renegades cartoon. Although, I don't know if the Clone Wars toys have sold as well as they've been hyped, and I don't think retailers are ready for yet another line of GI Joe figures to potentially peg warm.

All of this means that Hasbro may try to target the ever reliable collector community for sales. Minimates have grown to become a heavy weight in the collectible action figure market, so I think there is a chance we could see GI Joe Minimates in a few years.

Edited by Jatta Pake

• 3 weeks later...
Dear Art Asylum: I really like your Minimate figures, but I was wondering if you ever thought of making Minimates of the General Mills Cereal Monsters? I would love to have Minimate figures of Boo Berry, Count Chocula, Yummy Mummy, Frankenberry, and Fruit Brute.

DSTChuck: Way back in the day the crew did look at and work on some Post characters but it did not get much of a response from the buyers.

The horrific memories. STOP IT

Strangely enough....my Cereal kubricks are some of my favourites whilst the secret chase BIG K is perhaps the strangest block-figure I possess & I have never ever seen another anywhere.

I was so excited for these miniamtes since it meant I didnt have to chase after the Kubricks, but alas they never happened and I sitting here with a lonely Tony the Tiger kubrick lol

Jeff of the Miniacs

Judging by the answers about who they aren't making in 2011, it really looks like Diamond is concentrating all their efforts into the three movie waves. Which makes me wonder, are people excited about the movie waves? Or would you rather have the classic comic version of the characters?

"

What’s going on with the Halo minimates. This line is amazing, easily some of the best stuff yet. Though it seems it may be in trouble already. Every TRU I’ve been to has the line as discontinued, and the announcement of the prophets set being cancelled, seems to be a dark cloud over the future of the line. Please give me good news, or at least a Carter and Emile two pack before it ends.

DSTChuck: I have no idea why your TRU would tell you the line is canceled we have purchase orders in hand from TRU and showed all the way up to series 4 at Toy Fair this month. "

For Halo Minimates TRU is using different SKUS on each wave, so the first wave is done shipping and no new stock will be received since it is discontinued. The second wave is active and the warehouse will get it. They're even doing that for the warthogs, since the printout my friend gave me of Diamond Select Toys in their computer showed Warthog Version 2 sku.

Marvel is doing the same thing too, wave 10 has it's own item number in their system.

Edited by SouthFLGuy

Judging by the answers about who they aren't making in 2011, it really looks like Diamond is concentrating all their efforts into the three movie waves. Which makes me wonder, are people excited about the movie waves? Or would you rather have the classic comic version of the characters?

616 all the way for me. Dont get me wrong I will by the Captain America waves, if for nothing else that awesome Dum Dum Dugan, but the Thor and X Men stuff...for me they are a pass. Nice looking figures, just not what I am interested in right now... well ok the first class stuff looks lazy to me so they are an easy pass.

Right now I am mainly focused on riding out 616, and specifically completing the avengers and x men (core).

At this point, if they made a Falcon, Black Knight, and Longshot...I could call my collection complete. and everything else would be gravy...

so long story short, the movie waves are (imoho) wasted slots...

moc847

Which makes me wonder, are people excited about the movie waves? Or would you rather have the classic comic version of the characters?

There is absolutely no contest ....I'd prefer classic comic versions. X3 ,SM3,Hulk all bombed & are pretty much still available whilst Ghost Rider didn't get out of the gate. Wolverine Origins was OK but ask yourself when you compare the Wave 28 Deadpool with the movie version which is iconic & which is meh!? Iron Man 1 was by far the best closely followed by IM 2 but did we really need all those army-builders & an elusive Hammer ? Thor & Cap (Movie Waves) do actually seem to capture the flavour of the comics & that might be their saving grace.

- To answer Boyd: classic comics. Most of the movie Minimates serve as placeholders (for characters like Blob and Iron Monger) or as fodder. I'm excited for Thor, because most of those figures can happily pass as MU versions. I'm looking forward to Cap because I see pieces that I can use for customs. I'm not interested in XM:FC at all, because they don't fit either criteria. XM:FC, in fact, don't even make for good body fodder because the arms and legs all have those !@#$ little lines on them. If I were DST, and I were planning a Marvel movie line, I would make sure that at least one figure could serve as a Marvel U figure; for First Class, that would have been Moria McTaggert.

-I don't think Chuck quite understood the question about variant costumes in the MvC3 line. Does his answer mean they are limited to only the main versions, and not the alt costumes? It does look like the license is limited to only this one game and not the previous ones, though. I know that's a bummer for a lot of you gamers.

-I'm baffled that DST was able to plan to do figures from this "Age of X" thing in advance, but not the new FF costumes. I think the latter would be much more popular. Or the New Avengers. Someone really has to slip Chuck some sales figures from 2006 on up so that he can see that the Avengers is the dominant Marvel property. Jeez, if only they had some kind of in with Diamond....

-Was the guy asking about Starcrash joking? I'm a bad movie fan, and I've never even heard of it. I must ask: WHY ON EARTH WOULD YOU THINK THEY WOULD "SELL WELL"? Sorry for the yelling....

-Battle Beasts continue to be mystifying. How hard is it for them to plan how to "do it right"? And why does that plan start with "keep releasing the same crocodile in different colors"?

Edited by hellpop

-I'm baffled that DST was able to plan to do figures from this "Age of X" thing in advance, but not the new FF costumes.

In fairness, the Age of X thing may not have been scripted around such a big surprise as Future Foundation was (death of Johnny Storm), so DST may have gotten editorial information far enough in advance to plan the set. The timely characters/sets DST are able to do are based on how much advance notice Marvel gives them. As Chuck has said repeatedly, they plan out stuff almost a year in advance – there's no way Marvel editorial would have given someone on the outside an opportunity to leak such a big shakeup as FF has gone through that far ahead of time.

Also to answer Boyd, I'm quite excited about the movie waves. The Thor and Cap Minimates look great. (I especially love the army uniform/undercover Cap.) The Avengers movie-verse is shaping up nicely, and the 'Mates are equally satisfying. I'm less excited about the X-Men stuff but will pick them up all the same. I plan on making a Banshee QC from a Magneto or Xavier standard body. Hopefully it will be as simple as a head swap. Otherwise, I'm fine with the one wave.

-Battle Beasts continue to be mystifying. How hard is it for them to plan how to "do it right"? And why does that plan start with "keep releasing the same crocodile in different colors"?

$$$$$$$$$ Something tells me that Battle Beasts will be expensive to produce AND that there's not a lot of strong retailer support. With so many unique molded pieces, I just don't see how it can be done. I really don't think Minimates and BB are a fit. All of that molding will completely cover up the basic Minimate body. I'm also guessing the cost of producing a Minimate blank and then all of the slip on parts will be more expensive than just producing a Battle Beast. So you pay the premium to have it a Minimate then erase all signs it was ever a Minimate? Easy pass for me. I think they keep releasing the Croc because (1) they don't want to pour more into creating more without retailer support and commitment and (2) they are trying (unsuccessfully, I think) to generate that buzz and support for the line. Just my 2 cents.

Battle Beasts ....I've made my thoughts known about these in various threads but I'm almost adamant that when we do see them they will not follow the pattern that brought us the Croc in all its guises. I believe that DST now realise that they've made a C®ockup by deciding that the hastily conceived Croc will not be suitable as a platform for future releases because its too darn big. That leaves them with the problem of sculpting a new head for every Beast. One look at the old BB range illustrates this & DST can't treat this like Halo Minimates which as far as I can see (& I hope I'm in the minority) is a bunch of similar looking figures painted another colour .....whoopey doo :rolleyes:

Whichever way they play it this is going to cause them headaches (pun intended) & I reckon ( :pinch: ) that they'll decide that each figure will have its own individual head & therefore blow the original Minimate concept out of the water completely. I'm not sure whether that will be a good thing or bad but I'm convinced of this because why sculpt a head & then bother to attach it to a Minimate head when you can just....sculpt a head ?