UA-100768763-1 Jump to content

Spirit Minimates

• Replies 222
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I didn't think I would see Spirit minimates considering DC owns the character and they didn't even want to continue their DC mates. I'm guessing DC Direct must not have the license to the toys then, which is also strange.

Oh well, I'll be getting them since he is a sort-of DC character, but like a lot of other people in this thread, I'd rather have him in blue.

I didn't think I would see Spirit minimates considering DC owns the character

I don't think they do... I'm pretty sure the new comic series was licensed to DC by Will Eisner Studios.

I don't know anything about licensing, but I'm guessing that when Will Eisner Studios licensed the character to whatever film company is making this, it included all the kinds of product they could make to tie-in (including, apparently, Minimates)...

Also, Alpheon--I honestly wasn't trying to blame British tabloid journalism on you! Just correcting the story from what I'd heard. She could still be an awful person/actress, I have no idea. And every thread goes a little off-topic at some point :)

Edited by battlecat

When DST announced that they'd be doing minimates based off the Spirit movie, did they or didn't they announce that they'd be doing minis based of the comic version of the Spirit? Can anybody shed some light for me please?

Edited by MINI_MYTE

When DST announced that they'd be doing minimates based off the Spirit movie, did they or didn't they announce that they'd be doing minis based of the comic version of the Spirit? Can anybody shed some light for me please?

Yup, we're getting both.

"Diamond Select Toys will release Minimates based on both the Eisner-penned comic and the modern retelling."

Full announcement here

Yup, we're getting both.

"Diamond Select Toys will release Minimates based on both the Eisner-penned comic and the modern retelling."

Full announcement here

One word: Sweet. :biggrin:

Man, I'm absolutely digging these. I LOVE the look of these figures. They're all brilliant and stunning. The 2 pack... I might need 3 of them just for custom fodder. There's SO much I can do with that bound boob cat suite. My head's just going crazy over the possibilities. The 3D Tie is amazing, it even flips out! The only thing I don't like right off the bad is the Spirit's hair. It's awful. I'll just keep his fedora on then. XD

Anyone notice that the womens' lips have a stipple pattern on them? Kind of reminiscent of pulp/newspaper printing techniques.

• 2 weeks later...

These look as good as one could hope, considering the movie looks... not good. Miller has no business going anywhere near the Spirit. At least the Black Widow custom looks to be pretty easy.

But the really great news is the 'mates based on the Comics! I really hope this is the beginning of more 'mates based on other comics properties. I wish they'd do the same thing with Hellboy....

• 2 months later...

Have you all seen the advance reviews coming in over at Ain't It Cool News? Word is, The Spirit is, how shall I say it, not a very good film. Hopefully the Minimates will sell well, though I'll be giving them a pass.

"Frank Miller is creatively bankrupt and artistically empty."

Y'know, I looked at some of the Batman and Robin comics that he did with Jim Lee, and had similar thoughts running through my head, and re-reading "The Dark Knight Returns" recently, I can see what this critic was talking about when he suggests that readers may have superimposed more substance onto Miller's "classic" works than they actually deserved.

Still, though, I love "DKR" and "Sin City" irrespective of all that, but I really fear that this movie is going to be a flop of epic proportions. While this sucks for Miller (and DST, and Hot Toys), I think it would be good for comic movie-making generally. If the "good" movies (Dark Knight, Iron Man) make money, and the crappy ones (Spirit, Punisher) don't, then maybe we won't get "Superman III" or "Batman and Robin" in the near future. Of course, as long as people are willing to pay to see "Rise of the Silver Surfer," there may be scant room for such hope.

I've seen the trailers and I'm not impressed at all it just seems much to campy closer to Dick Tracy the movie then something like Sin City.

The mates I will buy but the movie could be easily bypassed. I'm glad we are getting movie and comic mates.

I've seen the trailers and I'm not impressed at all it just seems much to campy closer to Dick Tracy

What's funny is I was just describing The Spirit movie to my wife and said that I feared it would be too much like Dick Tracy. Having said that, I will still buy Spirit minimates. Of course, I would even buy Dick Tracy mates, so I guess that doesn't say much.

Oh wow...that movie was boring. I mean I was bummed when I found out Frank Miller was going to be involved, since his style doesn't match Will Eisner's. Then I continued to stay positive, just because of the shot in the arm for the Spirit, but after seeing the film, wow. It sucked horribly. I'm glad I didn't pay for tickets and I can't complain about the time wasted as I should have known it was bad. I almost don't want to get the minimates as I am done with this film, but I don't want to miss the chance for Spirit comic book minimates. I hope Frank didn't hurt the Spirit too much.