UA-100768763-1 Jump to content

the end??? how can that be right??

minijeff

I would have to say that the first few waves were great, and actually I still need to get a few of those mates.

But in later waves, there were less and less I actually wanted to get.....like maybe 1 or 2 per wave!

And also a few things factor into me even getting mates:

A. I can barely find ANY minimates in this area at all.

B. I haven't the money to but entire waves like I did, I have to get most of mine through trading.

C. Character interest is lacking, Timbo said it best, a few obscure characters is ok in a wave......but mostly Obscure characters in a wave just doesn't interest me or my wallet.

I'm like most, you have something you want signed to keep these around, I'll definitely sign to support.

Honestly to me, as long as there are Minimates of some sort to collect, I'll be happy.

• Replies 189
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It was DC minimates that brought me back into collecting minimates. I loved the variety they offer for each wave and how they did not have ridiculous variants or chases that make collecting irritating. For each DC minimate wave that comes out, I have bought the entire wave without getting buyer's remorse or disappointments. It would be sad to see DC minimates end just like how DC C3 ended, prematurely... :(

My LCS has been getting the DC minimates pretty consistantly... more so than any of the TV/Movie licenses (BSG/ST/BTTF/24) and about the same as Marvel.

Unfortunately, they have been more expensive by $1-$3/set and don't have characters that seem nearly as interesting as the Zombies or Spiderman III. I think the last 3 waves are still on the shelves, in abundance, where everything else is picked down to nothing.

I have to say, I'm a little bummed by the "meh" response to this news here. Maybe I'm overestimating the love for DC mates in general.

Honest questions, and I'm not trying to call anyone out: has any/everyone preordered wave 8? If not, were you waiting until it showed up in stores? Or just planning to give it a miss altogether? If you haven't preordered yet, has this news made you consider it?

Maybe DCD is right to pull the line if the support just isn't there...

Wave 8 is the 1st wave I've been reluctant to preorder. Elseworlds Superman/WW and New Batwoman/Question just don't do it for me. Not because they're badly done mates (quite the opposite in fact - they look wonderful) but because they're versions of the characters that I just don't feel a need to have. Sinestro & the alien GL (forget the name) are the only ones I feel an overwhelming desire to own. Cyborg & Raven will be nice, but to round out the Titans, we're missing Changeling.

DC mates have been some of the best, most innovative mates we've seen to date. They really put the pressure on the designers to step up their work on other lines, so if they're dead, we should all mourn for they revitalized the minimates brand.

Oh, Jesus, it's like Xevoz all over again.... (rocks back and forth in fetal position)

Oh dude, that's not even funny. That's like a box of slow, unadoptable greyhounds. We don't joke about Xevoz.

Honestly? And I'm sorry to say this, but I'm with Timbo and Drgn. I feel very much a "meh" for this news. If it's not true, great. If it is, oh so sad. But we'll move on.

I would have liked to have gotten the JSA, but honestly, that and All Star Batman are the only DC titles I've read in close to 2 years. The comic style REALLY turned me off, and this was nowhere more noticeable than the Teen Titans. I think they might have hurt the line more than any one realizes. Waves 3 and 6 were the highlights. Wave 7 was, IMHO, the lowest point in the entire line. Wave 8 doesn't look that much better.

I'm going to sit here quietly and play the wait and see game. Though it would be unfortunate that if people panicked over Marvel and it turned out to be nothing, and then people didn't panic over DC and it turned out to be true.

Oh well, we've still got Marvel.

Hey, we've seen a lot of questions come in about the sad news from the DC Unlimited showroom, so I thought I should give you folks a first-hand report of what went down.

I'm a crazed Minimates collector myself, so I was pretty confused when no new DC 'mates were on display at the showroom. I wanted to know exactly what was up, so I asked our guide, and he said pretty much exactly what we put up on the Toy Fair report page - that's it for the line, at least for the forseeable future.

He mentioned a couple of times that if enough of a commotion went up online, things might change, but I couldn't honestly tell you whether that was a genuine company policy statement or just a PR thing to appease us and/or the fans.

(In other, non-DC-related news, boy, you guys found that Civil War boxset news fast! Now I just have to hope I can wrangle one myself when the orders go up...)

Well, I personally have enjoyed the DC mates moreso than their Marvel counterparts over the last year or so. I think the last announced wave is a misstep (Batwoman? Female Question? Another Supes/Wonder Woman repaint?), but I've enjoyed the line as a whole, and hope that it can move forward so that we can see some more cool, innovative figures of cool characters. At least the old school JSA and Teen Titans members that haven't yet been released (plus maybe some more JLAers?--Manhunter, Plastic Man, Firestorm, the Atom, Black Canary, or something along those lines. . .). C'mon DST, box sets of those particular teams would sell like hotcakes---read these boards, that's just a fact!

I, for one, am NOT with TM2, Timbo, and Dragon (sorry guys) about feeling "meh" if DC Minimates ended. Wave 7 is clearly one of the best waves yet, if not THE best wave of DC Minimates. Lobo manages to break the fourth wall while at the same time introducing an amazing artistic chain element to the brand. Ambush Bug isn't simply a blank green - he captures the essence of the character. Nightwing C3 was perfection. DC managed to improve on perfection with Wave 7 Nightwing. Grodd is already fighting my Lex Luthor and Flash ... perhaps the best Minimate ever made. Yes, I said it.

Losing DC Minimates would be a tragedy.

Diverse character selection, bubble packaging, amazing sculpts, 2.5" scale characters, and high quality plastic make DC Minimates the strongest line in my opinion. I will say it: I'd rather have DC Minimates than Marvel Minimates!

There you go.

I posted this over at the DCD boards.

I've had all day to turn this over in my head and I'm split down the middle between two stages, "disbelief" and "trading".

First off, I'm hoping that this is an error or something. I'm also hoping that someone like Jim Beard can get to the bottom of this, if not hearing something official from DCD themselves.

I've supported this line by easily buying a case of every series and in some situations extras, which I've shown to others which've gotten them interested in them. It seems like such a waste to end the line when it's gotten other minimate lines to up their quality to match the great stuff DCD is including. It also seems like a huge slap in the face after only a year of production to the fans who've supported it. I won't be buying other DCD products at all. I've made the switch from full-sized figures to minimates and won't be going back. It sounds like several people feel the same way and I don't understand why if the product sells and fans are happy why it has to be an "Either This Product Here OR That Product There" type of situation.

Secondly, there are so many characters which still need to be made, it's true. Lots of characters that people won't be happy until they get.

Some of these were made in the defunct C3 line and really need an update, like Martian Manhunter, the Riddler, and Catwoman. Good figures but hard to find and not completely in synch with the DCD minimate line.

Then there are the totally new characters that I think alot of fans felt would eventually be released. After all, if we're getting the Red Son Superman and Wonder Woman how far off is it to hope for tried-and-true characters like Adam Strange, Metamorpho, Two-Face, Alan Scott GL, Kyle Rayner and Wonder Girl.

Bottom Line: This really does stink if DCD does this and I hope that the report is false. I've enjoyed the DC stuff so much more than the Marvel stuff as well because of the diverse character selections... something that Marvel finally has started doing with the Avengers (Thor) Wave and am really disappointed about this. Sure, it's like the C3 thing all over again. And sure, I finally got a Hal Jordan Green Lantern. But it still bites the big one that DC started teams of Titans, JSA and JLA that they may never finish.

Hey, we've seen a lot of questions come in about the sad news from the DC Unlimited showroom, so I thought I should give you folks a first-hand report of what went down.

I'm a crazed Minimates collector myself, so I was pretty confused when no new DC 'mates were on display at the showroom. I wanted to know exactly what was up, so I asked our guide, and he said pretty much exactly what we put up on the Toy Fair report page - that's it for the line, at least for the forseeable future.

He mentioned a couple of times that if enough of a commotion went up online, things might change, but I couldn't honestly tell you whether that was a genuine company policy statement or just a PR thing to appease us and/or the fans.

(In other, non-DC-related news, boy, you guys found that Civil War boxset news fast! Now I just have to hope I can wrangle one myself when the orders go up...)

Hey Daniel,

Thanks for stopping by to let us know what was said by the DCD guys at the show in person.

I guess it's a sad fact of life that toys lines start and end and not always for reasons the punters expect or understand.

I think our expectations have been spoiled by 20+ waves of Marvel and forget that nothing should be taken for granted.

T.

Wow. I am absolutely devastated by this news. The DC mates were the reason I started getting any of them in the first place, and now I'm trying to go back and get all of the Marvel, BSG, and Trek mates, too. I feel like DC just announced they were going to stop publishing comic books because it wasn't profitable enough for them. And not just the marginally unprofitable, cultish, semi-popular books like Aquaman or Blue Beetle, but all of them. Or maybe Major League Baseball deciding to disband because the business wasn't thriving enough. And yeah, I could always find some sort of substitute like Marvel comics or the NFL, but it just wouldn't be the same. But neither of those things would ever happen, the companies would just find a way to tweak the business model to make it more profitable and productive. Surely DC can find something, anything, to keep the DC mates going. Maybe they need to charge a little more, or do fewer waves each year, or load up the waves with mostly extremely popular characters. (Marvel's on Wave 20, so that means there's approximately 20 different versions of Spider-Man and 21 Wolverines... if we need that many Batmen and Supermen, so be it.) Whatever they have to do, I'll support it if it keeps the line going. I just know this line got me hooked on minimates, and got me to read more DC comics in general. These have been the most innovative and well-done minimates ever produced, and they have forced the other lines to step up as well. Losing these would be a real tragedy for the entire minimate community.

I think most of my "meh" response stems not from the end of DC, but because we've been down this road before. Lord of the Rings, Street Fighter, C3, and now this. Lines that seem to end before their time in the eyes of this board, but not in the eyes of their overseers.

DC really boost the overall quality of the Minimate brand, and for that one really should feel sad. After all, they broke the 2" barrier, dropped the cursed variant figure, and dipped lower in the character pool than the other lines. If they are truly gone, then the incentive may be gone. Hopefully fan response to the changes will keep it going. And hopefully DC will consider keeping this option open in the future.

I've just got to wonder if this is a booth guide essentially saying, "What you see is what you get. If you don't see it, you won't get it," or if the guide had real info provided by DCD. I hope DCD is scaling back to the original production scale and the guide was simply uninformed.

And I am pretty surprused by the 'meh' responses too. I am especially surprised that so many people have found the character selection so obscure. I think the character selection has been great. But that's just me.

an observation i'd like to make is that from what i've seen at retail the obscure characters donot sell. casual minimate buyers want superman, batman, wonderwoman and flash with so many DC figures of all different scales/lines these people will never buy omac or deadman type characters in minimate form. that said the REAL consumer of mates want the complete opposite, we have our batman, superman and MARTIAN MANHUNTER you do us a disservice re-releasing new versions of these characters when there are so many other characters we would love to have. so the question therefore is do you want to sell to casual/retail buyers who will MAYBE buy the big three or four characters one time or do you cater to the (perceived) smaller group of collectors whom will purchase most if not all( if you stop producing rehashed characters) mates offered in every wave? this is not a new concept/problem and has claimed the existence of many toy lines. it seems clear to me( and it could be i'm biased being a collector) but the only way to have a long running diverse line is to cater to the collector market and maybe that means only selling through online retailers who have less overhead, if you really want to have retail presence produce a boxset of the big name characters that retailers can reorder to always have in stock(much like trade paperbacks), but only offer the waves to the collector market. any converts from casual buyer to collector will track down the waves and any older mates they have missed if they want them. just my $.02

I've just got to wonder if this is a booth guide essentially saying, "What you see is what you get. If you don't see it, you won't get it," or if the guide had real info provided by DCD. I hope DCD is scaling back to the original production scale and the guide was simply uninformed.

I wish that were the case, but he was definitely answering a question that he'd been briefed on how to answer. He was quite adamant that those two waves were officially the end of the line.

I'm not "meh" at all about this. I'm pissed.

You can debate all you want about character selection, but the quality was top notch, The attention to detail wonderful, the accessories fantastic and unlike Marvel who say might skip a wave entirely, you knew when these were coming out and they almost always got moved up. I don't think even the casual fan would disagree on these.

As for personal tastes, I think the selection of characters has been top notch. They found intelligent ways of getting the big three out there in different forms, unlike Chuck and his Spidey fetish, which was nice. They also had a nice selection of GA, MA and even some SA heroes. Each wave had a little something for just about anyone. They might not have been your favorite characters, but odds are your favorite was at least up for consideration because ANY character was.

It reminded me of the start of the DCD figures, save for all the problems convincing Brewer that articulation mattered, even post launch of Marvel Legends.

But therein lies the rub. After watching DCD for what, 10 years now, I'm convinced that while a nice person in interviews (and most likely in person) Georg Brewer and the other folks running DCD (or decision makers, or however you want to term it) have NO idea how to run a line. They destroyed what was a wonderful idea with the DCD figures by ignoring articulation and scale for years, to the point of ridiculousness (and I'm not a scale nut, but when my SA Firestorm TOWERS over my Batman and Superman, c'mon). Then they twisted it with this artist specific versions of the same 8 characters crap.

Ugh.

Anyway, I hold out no hope that no matter the response on line, in stores or anywhere else, they will change their mind. It makes me very bummed only because Pocket Heroes were an out and out failure from wave 1 and they tried desperately to breath life into that line for a couple years. Minimates are at least marginally successful, and by their own account, near as we know, profitable, and they abandon that line but quick.

put a fork in 'er. It's done.

I wish that were the case, but he was definitely answering a question that he'd been briefed on how to answer. He was quite adamant that those two waves were officially the end of the line.

It feels like you're trying to crush my spirit. ;)

To DCD:

So long, farewell, au revoir, auf wiedersehen

I wish I had more DC Minimates

you do us a disservice re-releasing new versions of these characters when there are so many other characters we would love to have

I don't know about that. Many collectors didn't get all of the C3 line which was in a different art style anyway. The debate about this on these boards I think justifies DCD's decision to produce characters even if they were already produced by another company. And members here speak of the obscure characters contributing to the 'meh' factor. So the simple solution is to cater to both sets- which DCD did. For whatever reason something went wrong.

Arrgh! So frustrating!

"Well, people love and are willing to give us money for them... buuuut, we'd rather just piss people off instead."

I'm telling you, UPC codes! Let's bury Georg in them! ;)

Great idea but we'd all need to do it & because they are bubble packed I doubt many of us ( myself included kept the packaging).

Despite my loving this line less than others I'm going to be writing to DCD to support the cause.

T.