UA-100768763-1 Jump to content

the end??? how can that be right??

minijeff

I've always been a Marvel fan but the DC Series' are superb. Being a completist I originally bought a single set of each Series but I'm just waiting on a delivery of er....um....some more....& they are not that easy to get hold of. I'm not saying it's hard but they (as a series) are becoming rarer ,rapidly. I don't believe this the end at all - gut feeling .

• Replies 189
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't think anyone here is denying the fact that a fan-prompted revival of anything is a real long shot. But, it's not unheard-of. The mere fact that DC Minimates even happened after the C3 fiasco shows that decision-makers know people want them, and it's just a matter of finding the right formula. We just have to make sure they know we still do want them.

If DC Minimates were the only Minimates line out there, I'd agree that there was little chance of proving their long-term viability. But Minimates as a brand has been going for a long time – what, eight years or so? That's longer than most toylines last. And the brand seems to be picking up steam, with Marvel going strong, and new movies and TV being added each year. There's obviously a market for them, and having DC in the mix is a no brainer. DC is different than SF anf LOTR because, for those, there was little ongoing market presence aside from the 'Mates to keep current fans interested and bring in new ones. Comic books are perennial, and there is always a market for toys of the characters in them.

But anyway, I'm preaching to the choir. I like DC Minimates a lot, and, for me, it's worth the time and effort to hound DCD. And, (here's where I hope I don't turn into the villain, Reid... :)) being as MMMV members are the core supporters of the Minimates brand in all of its incarnations, I wouldn't expect everyone to be on board with something like this, but I would hope it.

As for me, I have plans for a campaign at the summer cons if we haven't heard anything by NYCC... :)

I would love to be surprised, but I just do not seeing it happen. The "one more wave" petition has what less than 200 signatures? if it were 20000 that might be one thing, but less than 200, that just solidifies DCD saying, the fan base is past, focus on something new.

my 2 cents

moc847

My impression is that the introduction of the DC Minimates line caused a change for the better in the product. The figures became more varied and interesting, working in parts that showed different size and excellent accessories. Maybe my feel for the timeline is off, but it felt like the Marvel stuff was getting to be a little of the same old and then the DC stuff came along and raised the bar. And now the Marvel stuff has become more interesting, like the wave with Ultron and Mysterio in it. It's a true shame to see DC Minimates end, as they were great and there were so many more possibilities. I guess not being sold at regular retail killed them. Why weren't they in Target, etc.? And is the end of the Marvel line far behind? :(

My impression is that the introduction of the DC Minimates line caused a change for the better in the product. The figures became more varied and interesting, working in parts that showed different size and excellent accessories. Maybe my feel for the timeline is off, but it felt like the Marvel stuff was getting to be a little of the same old and then the DC stuff came along and raised the bar. And now the Marvel stuff has become more interesting, like the wave with Ultron and Mysterio in it. It's a true shame to see DC Minimates end, as they were great and there were so many more possibilities. I guess not being sold at regular retail killed them. Why weren't they in Target, etc.? And is the end of the Marvel line far behind? :(

DC Direct only solicits to shops that carry collectibles. That's why you can find them in places like FYE.

What I don't understand is why DST doesn't try to negotiate to pick up the DC Minimates license if DCD doesn't want to distribute them anymore. Perhaps they are in too much direct competition?

What I don't understand is why DST doesn't try to negotiate to pick up the DC Minimates license if DCD doesn't want to distribute them anymore.

We don't know that they're not.

There are still a lot of things about this situation we don't know. Which is why we're trying so hard to make sure all interested parties know we're ready to keep supporting the line.

I was looking through some of my old comics and came across this DC Nation letter from Dan DiDio on what fans did to change his mind…

Okay, okay, you win. I got the letters. I got the e-mails. I even got the feedback from retailers. You asked for it, hell you demanded it, so consider Manhunter uncancelled.

When the word got out that we had cancelled this series, the e-mails started. Not long after that, the letters arrived. And they all carried a single message: “Save Manhunter.” At first I thought it was the series’ writer, Marc Andrekyo, was being clever. But the handwriting didn’t match, and even he couldn’t own this many e-mail addresses. Nope, something was happening: a grassroots campaign by a group of fans out to save one of their favorite books. Now, I have cancelled series before, cancelled plenty of them, but this was by far the biggest and strongest response to a cancellation I’ve ever seen. It stopped me dead in my tracks and made me think we might have been a little hasty pulling the plug.

So to all of you that sent letters-and the scores of others that keep writing in through our website and the regular mail-you asked for it and we listened!

From the quote it appears that DiDio hasn't uncancelled many if any series before, but the fan support was so strong that he had to take notice. Through e-mails, contacting retailers, and sending letters I have no doubt that we can have the same effect on Brewer.

Edited by hypno

From the quote it appears that DiDio hasn't uncancelled many if any series before, but the fan support was so strong that he had to take notice. Through e-mails, contacting retailers, and sending letters I have no doubt that we can have the same effect on Brewer.

It's been pointed out on other forums and in other topics, but its important to know that saving a comic from cancellation and saving a toy line aren't exactly the same. More specifically, Brewer isn't DiDio. I'm not saying you are wrong and that you have no reason to have hope, I'm just saying that one does not specifically mean the other.

I have to say like everyone else that this is an odd and shocking move. I have to say on a few notes here.. that I can't really understand why these mates would be coming to an end in regards to future waves coming out. I say this because DC has been releasing animated movies lately.. such as New Frontiers.. which I would think generate new interest in the DC Super Heroes.. for both young and old. We also have another Batman movie soon to come out.. as I type... the trailer is out there.. so what is DC thinking of stopping this line so early? There are still great characters to be made.. Poison Ivy, Mxyzptlk, the Riddler.. I mean I could go on and on.. but why end the line so early? Disappointing!

Georg Brewer answered some questions from Newsarama about the upcoming History of the DC Universe line from DC Direct. These will be 6.75" figures based on the art of George Perez. While nothing is mentioned about the fate of DC Minimates, you can read what you want into the part I bolded below. For those of you who are new to Minimates, Georg Brewer is the VP of Design at DC Direct.

GB: We’ve taken several approaches over the years in planning out our assortments. One of the most often requested comments of late is that the collectors would like to be able to complete the “teams” that they have started to build. We hear them and plan to try to get through themed assortments more quickly allowing for the related characters or teams to be completed in less time. JLI is a good example; we have two in sculpt and scheduled to be released in 2009. The third has already been drawn and will follow close behind. However, if a new line is released and it does not make sufficient sales to justify another assortment we’ll have to really consider if it makes sense to continue. But in that case I hope to find a venue for letting the fans know when they start asking for more, why we chose not to continue.

I read this to mean that Georg wants to find a way to announce line cancellations and explain the reasons.

http://forum.newsarama.com/showthread.php?t=152995

Strangely enough, haven't they always done this? Take Kingdom Come for example. Sales, if I recall, were not as strong as they hoped, and people had to beg for the last few waves. Maybe I am not remembering it accurately.

As MisterPL mentioned in the thread on the DC Direct boards, don't they already have a venue, you know, their own friggin website and forum with which to interact and announce things? Perhaps Georg is a technophobe, or the DCD offices have been playing an elaborate prank on him, insisting they don't have a website?

Take Hasbro for instance. With the Star Wars brand, they do what, 3 questions each month (or is it week) with like a dozen web sites. Now, maybe DCD does not have the PR arm that Hasbro does. But considering they have their own DCD site it seems laughable that they claim to be perplexed by finding a method and venue for communicating to their fans in such a way as to keep them informed. With even a part time web guy, periodic (monthly) updates would be fairly simple.

This all strikes me as more proof the line is dead, and that frankly, the power players have/had no intention of EVER even re-considering.

But hey, good luck with the 6.75" inch, all in scale line. You've done a knock down bang up job of scale before and I am SURE this line won't suffer from ANY of those problems. :rolleyes:

Strangely enough, haven't they always done this? Take Kingdom Come for example. Sales, if I recall, were not as strong as they hoped, and people had to beg for the last few waves. Maybe I am not remembering it accurately.

As MisterPL mentioned in the thread on the DC Direct boards, don't they already have a venue, you know, their own friggin website and forum with which to interact and announce things? Perhaps Georg is a technophobe, or the DCD offices have been playing an elaborate prank on him, insisting they don't have a website?

Take Hasbro for instance. With the Star Wars brand, they do what, 3 questions each month (or is it week) with like a dozen web sites. Now, maybe DCD does not have the PR arm that Hasbro does. But considering they have their own DCD site it seems laughable that they claim to be perplexed by finding a method and venue for communicating to their fans in such a way as to keep them informed. With even a part time web guy, periodic (monthly) updates would be fairly simple.

This all strikes me as more proof the line is dead, and that frankly, the power players have/had no intention of EVER even re-considering.

But hey, good luck with the 6.75" inch, all in scale line. You've done a knock down bang up job of scale before and I am SURE this line won't suffer from ANY of those problems. :rolleyes:

Good points. They also attend numerous conventions over the year as part of the larger DC presence. There's really no excuse for them to be having trouble staying in touch.

yep might as well move the DC section to the "minimates past" area. After 8 this is done.

Now I am curious how many people will actually buy wave 8 now. I mean I will because i want the mates, but how many will let em hang on the shelves?

The one that's really gonna sit is Red Son Superman. Considering the other characters that were passed over, that one really sticks in my craw. I think I won't buy it just out of spite.

yep might as well move the DC section to the "minimates past" area. After 8 this is done.

Now I am curious how many people will actually buy wave 8 now. I mean I will because i want the mates, but how many will let em hang on the shelves?

If they're talking about canceling the line because sales are down, it would be an awful shame to prove them right with wave 8.

I'll be the first to admit the character selection in this wave isn't ideal. But it could be our last chance to show DCD that these will move.

If they're talking about canceling the line because sales are down, it would be an awful shame to prove them right with wave 8.

I'll be the first to admit the character selection in this wave isn't ideal. But it could be our last chance to show DCD that these will move.

Lets be honest...the petition didnt get enough signautres to even present it to DCD. The majority of the people that were up in arms at first have since died down (present company excluded). The wave 8 is the weakest of all of the lines thus far. I had to BEG my LCBS to order the wave. The sales of the final wave will not be a banner to rebirth the line. In fact, if anything it will prove their point, that they just didn't sell as well as they wanted.

Now having said that, do i think the new line they are focusing on (6.75 line) will do well? Probably, I know I can not find any of the Mattel stuff easily. DCD is always easy to find at my LCBS (and ones around the country i have visited)

It was a good fight, but i am afraid it is over.

I am just glad we got what we did. I mean some toy lines don't even get this much and this much variety.

I am reminded of the recent Jericho tv show. rating were low they cancelled it. The fans (a huge number mind you) sent in protest (i forgot how many lbs of peanuts). So CBS put it back on the schedule, and then NO ONE watched it again and they cancelled it again.

moc847

'The candle that burns twice as bright burns half as long and while it goes against the grain,it's better to burn out than fade away'.

I have read more DC comics in the last 6 months than I have read in the last 30 years purely because of DC Minimates & my enquiring mind.......I hope you see my point.

Lets be honest...the petition didnt get enough signautres to even present it to DCD. The majority of the people that were up in arms at first have since died down (present company excluded). The wave 8 is the weakest of all of the lines thus far. I had to BEG my LCBS to order the wave. The sales of the final wave will not be a banner to rebirth the line. In fact, if anything it will prove their point, that they just didn't sell as well as they wanted.

Now having said that, do i think the new line they are focusing on (6.75 line) will do well? Probably, I know I can not find any of the Mattel stuff easily. DCD is always easy to find at my LCBS (and ones around the country i have visited)

It was a good fight, but i am afraid it is over.

I am just glad we got what we did. I mean some toy lines don't even get this much and this much variety.

I am reminded of the recent Jericho tv show. rating were low they cancelled it. The fans (a huge number mind you) sent in protest (i forgot how many lbs of peanuts). So CBS put it back on the schedule, and then NO ONE watched it again and they cancelled it again.

moc847

If they're looking for an excuse to end the line with poor sales, wave 8 will do it. I want three out of the eight. The others I don't know anything about or couldn't care less about. It makes me sad for all the other characters we could have gotten instead of battle damaged variations or totally obscure characters. I'd gladly give back odd variants or the Ma Hunkel's of the line for Two-Face, Modern Robin, Martian Manhunter and so on. . .

Edited by Big Ape

I think this line had potential. It started strong with a vast array of characters and really pushed the boundaries of how a line can be run. But around Wave 4 or 5, they kind of started to get lost in their own ideals. The variety started extending too far or something, because they started staying on the shelves at my LCS. I had to start buying two of each set just so the store would even continue to order them. And they've got plenty of 6 and 7 hanging on the pegs, unwanted. Maybe they should have kept with the variant assortment, like the other lines. That way the LCS can jack the price on the short packed item and score a bigger profit, which might have driven sales from the supplier up as well. Diving into Elseworlds before even sowing up an entire team roster, rogue's gallery, or theme may have been a bit of a mistake as well. Red Son Superman and Wonder Woman should have been an exclusive or something.

Anyway, we can second guess every move and come up with every reason why the line should continue, but it is obvious that DC wants to go another route. Still, if the line is "resting" there is always the off chance they revisit it down the road.

Since some people have been poo-poo'ing the ONE MORE WAVE campaign, I thought I'd give some persective. As I write this, the petition to continue DC Minimates has 157 signatures. Some people think this means only a small number of people (157) want DC Minimates to continue. So for some perspective, here are some other signature numbers:

7,248 - Number who signed "Withdraw troops from Iraq" petition.

9 - Number who want a new Super Mario game.

1,510 - Number who want a third season of Jericho.

55 - Number wanting a cure for Hepatitis C.

591 - Number who want Cover Girl to stop testing of cosmetics on animals.

204 - Number who want to raise the legal age requirement for a US driver's license.

58 - Number who want to save US home-owners facing foreclosure.

3 - Number who want to rebuild Chicago and save children.

43 - Number of Londoners against child poverty.

25 - Number who want Paris Hilton jailed indefinitely.

8 - Number who want to "Save the World".

Given these figures, I'd say 157 signatures is nothing to dismiss. I mean given the issues facing the world today, it's actually astonishing 157 people signed to save DC Minimates. More people feel passionate about DC Minimates than they do about diseases, rebuilding Chicago, and fighting child poverty. Hmmmm....