UA-100768763-1 Jump to content

Wave 22 - The Incredible Hulk moviemates

MINI_MYTE

I like Abomination. The gloves and feet work properly to give him a bigger scale, and the extra chest space gives him more height. Very well designed. I hope DST continues to go in this direction with the larger Marvel characters. Sculpted feet and hands are the way to go. The "duck feet" really suck. Hulk needs sculpted feet and "powerhouse" fists to punch with.

I'm neutral on the whole "rounded" powerhouse piece. It does kinda work to bulk up Hulk. But maybe it just needs to be bit bigger.

I must confess a dislike for the Marvel Movie 'mates in general. If they appeared as a box set like the other movie minimates, I would like them more. Get rid of BD Hulk and Blonsky and make it a five-pack. As the Marvel movie mates go now, they end up replacing a wave of comic versions which I'd rather have.

The movie will make or break this line.

• Replies 176
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Given that the movie will have long come and gone by the time these hit shelves, I'm not sure it will boost sales all that much. Frankly, I agree with others – I see this wave going in the same circular file as Ghost Rider.

The marketing for the Hulk movie in general has seemed fairly low-key – the movie is less than a month away, and the (rather unimpressive) toys have only just started to hit shelves. Usually superhero movies get a solid three months of hype and cross-selling. I'm not sure Marvel even wants to blunt the Iron Man marketing juggernaut right now with a big Hulk push.

I wonder if DST really wanted to do this set, or if they had to in order to get the rights for the sure-fire blockbuster Iron Man wave?...

Edited by Lobsterman

I wouldn't be surprised if these aren't produced, nor would I be very upset about it. but I do like that Betty Ross, I like the hair sculpt. Abomination I'm not sure what to make of it, I either really hate it or really like it... can't decide. I think Hulk has potential minus the duck feet and diaper, I think the chest piece is kinda cool. General Ross is OK and the other 3 I don't even care. I agree, this should have been a box set.

BS

I hope this wave doesn't suffer the same fate as the Ghost Rider wave did, though it's nothing compared to the Iron Man Movie wave.

I don't really like how they did the Hulk because his face looks like FrankinStine,the hair doesn't look right to men eighter. Like others have said, Hulk looks like he's wearing diaper. The Chest peice doesn't look bad

The Battle-Damaged Hulk is a cool concept but I don't really think it panned out with this minimate, it's hard to tell from the picture.

Bruce Banner doesn't really strike me as Bruce Banner like Wave 1, he looks good and is nicely detailed though.

Betty Ross is very cool,good for customs too. Though He looks very young.

General Ross A very well done Minimate.

Emil Blonsky looks cute.

Abomination looks ugly,as he should.The first version looked like it reused Things head peice and modified it,though I'm sure which one is uglyer. He looks like a cool minimate monster.

My thoughts about these might change if I see more pictures or get these when the're released.

BTW When are these supposed to come out anyway?

I am also disappointed in these, but my main problem is that I was looking forward to Ed Norton and Tim Roth Minimates, and their faces look so incredibly generic (unlike Liv Tyler, who actually looks pretty recognizable to me). Maybe they just don't have faces that work in Minimate form, but yeesh. Or maybe the prototype pics don't do them justice, but I'm not opitimistic. I like General Ross and the new hair pieces, but that isn't enough to warrant my buying these (maybe if they went on sale, which they inevitably will if released. . .). I can easily seeing the low number of orders for this one making it go the way of the Ghost Rider line, and honestly, it might be for the best.

Regarding Minimate shovels (if Boyd is actually even the least bit serious about wanting scaled shovels), I actually bought a bunch of Lego shovels recently, and have whittled down the handles so that they can fit on Minimate hands. Not that anyone but my Ash-mate needs one right now. . .but for me, that Ghost Rider line would now be completely useless (well, maybe useful for making a Henry Fonda-mate out of his son's face, but my SM3 Sandman head works well enough for that).

Edited by karamazov80

Wow. Those just look really bad... I mean. wow. just UGLY. What the hell is that Hulk in the back? "battle-damaged"? why are his eyes blacked out? And I know I'm in the minority here, but I couldn't care less about "civilian" mates, to me this set has the same problem the never-released Ghost Rider set does: the normal human to cool creature/super hero ratio is way off.

Disappointing.

Betty Ross looks like my English teacher.

My English teacher does not look like Liv Tyler.

'Nuff said.

Vig

I think the Gen. Ross figure is the best

then betty

then bruce

then I don't care about the rest.

I hope they don't end this line like the GR because I wanted a caretaker and a human johnny blaze

The abomination character looks like swamp thing

Which means it could be an easy custom to Manthing.

Regarding Minimate shovels (if Boyd is actually even the least bit serious about wanting scaled shovels), I actually bought a bunch of Lego shovels recently, and have whittled down the handles so that they can fit on Minimate hands. Not that anyone but my Ash-mate needs one right now. . .but for me, that Ghost Rider line would now be completely useless (well, maybe useful for making a Henry Fonda-mate out of his son's face, but my SM3 Sandman head works well enough for that).

Nope, not serious. Outside of making a custom of obscure Marvel character Digger, I can't think of a reason I'd need a Minimate-scaled shovel.

Wow. The only decent minis there are Ross and Abomination. I have to say that they captured the movie version of him rather well, but wasn't he reddish-orange in the trailer? maybe the variant should have been a reddish-orange Abomination.

i actutually like this wave! i'll be pre-ordering them online so the'll have at least ONE pre-order! :lol: i dont mind that they have four civies out of seven characters 'cuz the movie is about two monsters and the rest civillans. a-bomb looks pretty good, but i dont see his bones popping out or very much skin deatiling, buts thats nothing a little customizing can't fix. i still cant stand the duck feet, but theres always a way around them. overall, im pretty excited for this wave...

YIKES!!! Ouch! No.... the image is still there. Maybe if I rub my eyes really hard. (pauses to rub eyes)

Damn... picture still won't go away! :sick:

DST, what were you guys thinking? Because we (the Marvel fans) crave bigger mates for bigger characters you guys go the route of giving us excessively enlarged chest pieces, duck feet and now "diapers". Geez! This is by far the worst bunch of Hulk mates I've ever seen! Both Hulks and the Abomination look God awful! No matter how much bigger you (DST) make crotches, chests and feet the Marvel mates will always look awkward with the normal size arms and legs. I understand the 2" restriction, but this is not the answear! If you guys had just stuck with the original "Big Chest" piece and nothing more (on both Hulks and A-bomb), you wouldn't be getting the hordes of negative feedback from the masses here on the forum. The Abomination looks like a freakin' ninja turtle for cryin' out loud! :down:

I for one, who's been a collector of MMs since the get go, has tolerated a lot of creative changes, but I hope... no pray that this wave gets canned before it makes it ugly way to comic book shops. I'm still waiting for the GR wave (better looking than wave 22). Again DST, if you can't go 2.5", just stick to the original "Big Chest" piece. The fans will like 'em a whole lot better, trust me.

What a let down this unveiling was today. I hope the movie does better than these minimates. :yucky:

Edited by MINI_MYTE

:sick::sick:

i'm guessing that's why there was no pictures in the previews catalogue that retailer's have to do their preordering from, because if those pics were in there for us to see there might not have been alot of orders!!

still on the bright side some very good custom fodder :thumbsup:

Edited by winkerbean

Very interesting looking wave. I hope they do release it despite the low pre-sells the people seem to believe they will have. I would defiently pick up a few of just Betty Ross and Abomination. I think that Abomination looks pretty sweet, well.... all but thse silly looking hands. With Abomination I also see the potential for a pretty cool looking custom Sasquatch. ;)

IF, and thats a big if, I buy any, I will only be buying the civilians. The Emil guy looks like a really cool Spec Ops type mate, so I hope to get multiples of him.

I think it says it all that even Shane doesn't like them, and we all know how he loves the Hulk.

'Nuff said.

Closes eye's and decides to stop coming back to read this thread anymore, it's like staring at a train wreck and the most critical we've been with any new series shown since... well ever?

T.

I see this as a darned if you do, darned if you don’t type thing. Skip doing a Hulk movie wave and that’ll probably anger a few people (not all). Do them and then, well, this happens.

If anything, DST took a chance and put it out there and I guess we’ll see how this ends up. But if this does work out how the Ghost Rider Movie wave worked, I really hope DST can salvage the best figures of both waves and perhaps make one wave out of them? Most likely won’t happen, but I really wanted that stunt rider Johnny Blaze figure... and a shovel.

Anybody think DST'll read this thread? If yes, what do you think they'll do?

1) Nothing and sell the mates based off of blind pre-orders?

2) Cancel the wave?

3) Listen to the fans and do something to salvage the line up? Namely redesign the Hulk and Abomination (I know... it's past that point now)?

Edited by MINI_MYTE

If these really are supposed to be out in August, I imagine they'd have to be well into production by now. On the other hand, the Spider-Man 3 waves were supposed to be out in August last year, and we didn't see them until Christmas. Hopefully at least the Iron Man wave is on track – I'd hate to go all summer and fall without any new Marvel mates...

It would be a pretty big black eye to have to cancel a second wave of Marvel movie mates. That either 1) weakens the argument that these things can sell or 2) strengthens the argument that they should stick to the comic-based characters.

Edited by Lobsterman