UA-100768763-1 Jump to content

Wave 22 - The Incredible Hulk moviemates

MINI_MYTE

• Replies 176
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

TM2, I think you have it wrong. This place is a forum, hence discussion. No one is insulting DST, we are voicing opinions, both good and bad. Its part of the reason this place exists.

Oh I know that, Shane. I was just kidding around and poking fun at the overwhelmingly negative response.

And, yes, Abo looks like a Ninja Turtle.

I'm gonna need 4 abomb's then

post-976-1210778796_thumb.jpg

Oh WOW. I knew that'd work, but not that good!

th_Screenshot_11-1.jpg

PHOTOSHOPPED

Basically, I tried my best to give Bruce Banner a forehead, while also maintain the look DST gave. I'm not sure if it helped or not.

I actually think that looks way better. I can at least start to see Norton there. As it stands, he just looks like a generic civilian. Your minor tweaking helped enough that I'm thinking a more recognizable face is possible. Regarding Roth, I'm now thinking that getting the likeness might be more problematic, as he has a very distinctive nose. No noses on Minimates makes getting a recognizable Roth or, say, Walter Matthau, problematic (though we did get a fair Burgess Meredith. . .).

Yeah Roth has a nose that definitely defines the rest of his face. I remember when the Buffy Palz came out, the Buffy likeness was always off since Sarah Michelle Gellar has a distinct nose. In fact, an old neighbor of mine is a plastic surgeon, and he was saying how the nose defines the face more than any other feature. I guess most people think it is the mouth and eyes.

TM2, I think you have it wrong. This place is a forum, hence discussion. No one is insulting DST, we are voicing opinions, both good and bad. Its part of the reason this place exists.

Also it goes to show that even with the ability to share honest opinions that DST does get it right most of the time.

Go look at the recent Defenders set, FA Avengers, Civ war, IM SDCC & IM movie threads for almost universal positive feedback.

I'm sorry but I'm not going to BS just because DST comes here and reads us, if anything just being sycophantic would mean that they wouldn't take our opinions seriously.

I know no one wants negative criticism but I suspect one of the reasons Matt & Chuck soemtimes poke their heads in and see what we are up to is that we're pretty honest and to the point.

One of the reasons this place was founded is that it was felt that there was too much censorship of opinion on the old (pre the one that's there now, which is a minimate ghost town) AA website. One great example of the freedom we have (and that for the most part we are responsible with) is that there is no "bad language" filter enabled here but how often you you see excessive language?

T.

Also it goes to show that even with the ability to share honest opinions that DST does get it right most of the time.

Go look at the recent Defenders set, FA Avengers, Civ war, IM SDCC & IM movie threads for almost universal positive feedback.

I'm sorry but I'm not going to BS just because DST comes here and reads us, if anything just being sycophantic would mean that they wouldn't take our opinions seriously.

I know no one wants negative criticism but I suspect one of the reasons Matt & Chuck soemtimes poke their heads in and see what we are up to is that we're pretty honest and to the point.

One of the reasons this place was founded is that it was felt that there was too much censorship of opinion on the old (pre the one that's there now, which is a minimate ghost town) AA website. One great example of the freedom we have (and that for the most part we are responsible with) is that there is no "bad language" filter enabled here but how often you you see excessive language?

T.

#$^%$%$ you, TBT!

Ditch the rounded crotches and maybe scale down the back of the neck and those would be pretty decent.

Dude, I think you just made me realize why I don't care for the Movie Hulk and Abomination Mates......they aren't blocked figured, they have become to rounded off and it just seems odd to me!!

That's both awesome and priceless!

T.

so Awesome and Priceless that it is Prawesoless!!

To be perfectly honest I don't think it's DST's fault that some of these are as bad as they are. I think the way Hulk and Abomination look freaking awful in the film, and they have tried to capture them as well as possible. I think there would be alot more complaining if DST hadn't bothered to make them bulkyer at all. As Joe Hill showed, some of the actors just don't transfer well to Minimate form. I think the Liv Tyler mate suffers from not having a nose, as that is a defining feature of her face, but thats just the way Minimates are. General Ross is really cool, and so I think DST's biggest mistake here is making him the variant.

Personally I think the new Hulk film looks like a pile of crap, and that is why I don't have much interest in these. I will hopefully be picking up the Civilian mates though.

Do you think that these are only fairly recent prototypes, and that is why they weren't shown with the Iron Man and next comic waves a few months back? Or is it that DST thought we wouldn't like them and so didn't want to put a dampener on the whole effect.

Do you think that these are only fairly recent prototypes, and that is why they weren't shown with the Iron Man and next comic waves a few months back? Or is it that DST thought we wouldn't like them and so didn't want to put a dampener on the whole effect.

They likely didn't want these buried under the behemoth Iron Man merchandising machine, because they were apparently on display at some of the shows, they just weren't allowed to be photographed.

I think the Liv Tyler mate suffers from not having a nose, as that is a defining feature of her face.............. General Ross is really cool, and so I think DST's biggest mistake here is making him the variant.

Do you think that these are only fairly recent prototypes...........

Dan have you never noticed Liv tyler's mouth?post-638-1210795059_thumb.jpg

& here's a much earlier Ross prototypepost-638-1210794668_thumb.jpg

Who are you going to use for making Shredder? Shredder is necessary for Ninja Turtles.

Edited by Trekker 42

Personally, Im liking the Emil Blonsky figure for SWAT/Hulk buster units :)

Joe thanks for the comparisons. I actually kind of like the Hulk and Abom mates better because they actually are good likenesses of the CGI Characters. As ugly as they may be.

You're welcome. I'm just trying to make people not hate this line so much. It really isn't that bad.

Still not Impressed

Abomo- Still bad needs more detailing I hope this is a proto

Abomo Civ or watever his name is- generic figure but we get a new gun for customs.

Gen Ross-I actually like this MM it is a nice army figure

Betty- new hair nothing else to say

Hulk The main character of the film and the worse figure the more I look at it. Bad hair piece, bland/board look and the face and the trousers are much to short. (Ok DST may know more then us on the image its supposed to be but daisy dukes dont work)

Banner-same as the Abomo cive bland!

BD Hulk-Best figure of the set. Nice Hair piece, angry face, proper length trousers. This is the Hulk ppl know ths should be the main figure.

There is 7 new figures in this set and if they had to give the lot a score from 10 I think it would be about a 4 and that is only on the Gen Ross and BD Hulk the rest just dont rate a number.

Edited by MiniFiend UK

Awesome, but wouldn't four of these guys (or Nightcrawler I guess if you're super super rich and can throw that kind of cash around for hands and feet) be needed to get really accurate turtles?:

http://www.bigbadtoystore.com/bbts/product...amp;picture=out

So I may be in the minority, but some of these figs don't seem too bad. Minus Ed Norton, the rest of the civilians are alright. I agree that Ed Norton is a little hard to capture in the minimate form, so I'm willing to let that slide. Abomination, IMO, is a pretty decent adaptation of his movie counterpart. Granted, I don't like the movie Abomination. He looks absolutely nothing like the comic character, and when I first saw the movie version, I laughed out loud. However, the minimate is relatively true to the character. Unfortunately, I can't find a single good thing about either Hulk figures.

Honestly, I was hoping the picture of this wave was being held back because they were trying to get the 2" height limit changed for the wave. I know, wishful thinking, but even the relatively bland paint job on a 2.5" Hulk would have been amazing. Oh well.

As has been said before, the two biggest problems of this set are the duck feet and the diapers. The chest pieces aren't the best, but they do give the figure a little necessary bulk.

I'll probably still get this set (if it actually gets released), but I won't be rushing out to get them. The main reason I'll still get them, though, is for fear of Marvel minimates going the way of DC. I may be wrong, but I don't think the DC line had any cancelled waves and this would bring it up to 2 for Marvel.