UA-100768763-1 Jump to content

Book talk

616commando

• Replies 361
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You want to read a freaky-cool book? Neverwhere by Neil Gaiman.

That's a wicked book, I gotta catch up on Gaiman, haven't gotten to Anansi Boys or the new short story collection yet. Saw him do a reading/signing thing when American Gods came out, he's a pretty funny guy. His biography of Douglas Adams, Don't Panic!, is a good read too, if it's still in print.

Lot of good reccomendations in this thread... I thought that second Jurassic Park novel was even better than the original, though they shredded it for the movie (especially all the T.Rex-as-Godzilla nonsense they tacked on at the end). Same with Crichton's Timeline -- great book, terrible movie.

Love Pratchett, especially Small Gods and his City Watch books (the recent ones, Thud! and the one where Vimes goes back in time, have really gotten back to the greatness of Guards! Guards! and Men At Arms). That's true about him never shoving his point down your throat, and even more amazing is that almost every last one of his ridiculously long list of books has a meaningful point hiding behind all the fun. That's a lot of points to think up!

World War Z: An Oral History of the Zombie War

by Max Brooks

I just pray DST gets the movie license (slated for release in 2008). The book is a New York times best seller and lays the groundwork for a long franchise of kick butt sci-fi/political/action movies. A fanstastic book.

Alpha Team Minimates with "Lobos" are a must!

This sounds interesting. Does anyone know if it is still in print or reletivly easy to find? I have the hugest urge for something new and this sounds like it might fit what I am looking for in contrast to all my Canlit books I'll be reading over the break!

On a reply about Eragon, Eldest and the whole Inheirintence run...I didnt know he bumped it up from a trilogy....that could be interesting or be pushing the story line a bit much. I found that while he did kill off interesting characters adn the main character is not the typical strong lead I still find the stories to be well written and very interesting....I havent found a book yet that doesnt get a little flat in the middle....unless it was 'God: The Ultimate Autobiography'....if you like a seriously funny poke at God then check that one out!

Jeff of the Minis

I very stupidly forgot to mention the Discworld series by Terry Pratchett earlier.

Pratchett is a genius to mix in the themes he does and get away with not making you feel he's ramming them down your throat . You're right the first few books are probably not the best place to start and Wyrd Sisters is a good a place to start as any, My Favourites are probably still Small Gods or Mort.

Having said that I'm not up to date with his stuff though and I can't read him too often as I suffered burnout on his stuff after reading him too often a few years back.

T.

The Witch books and City Guard books are must reads. I actually felt that Thud and Monstrous Regiment were quite poor compared to his usual output. His kids books are worth a look too. The Amazing Maurice is fun, but Wee Free Men is astonishing. Written for kids but doesn't patronise them whatsoever. The Nac Mac Feegle are a work of true genius.

I'll confess its a long time since I've read it but my favourite book is 'The Seven Pillars of Wisdom' ,the autobiography of T.E. Lawrence. Glamourised in the film 'Lawrence of Arabia',it's his account of how the Colonial powers shat on & double-crossed the Arabs during & after the First World War. We still 'reap the whirlwind' today.

by Max Brooks

This sounds interesting. Does anyone know if it is still in print or reletivly easy to find?

I found it on the new release table at Barnes and Noble. Max Brooks wrote for SNL, authored "The Zombie Survival Guide", and is the son of Mel Brooks. Screenplay is being written by J. Michael Straczynski of Babylon 5 fame. Brad Pitt's production company Plan B will produce. The book was highly recommended by three store clerks who saw me carrying the book through the store. Finally, I'll add that if you enjoy history and politics, you will probably enjoy this book.

Plot Outline from IMDb:

"Ten years after the human victory over the world wide Zombie epidemic, referred to as World War Z, Max Brooks scours the world collecting the stories and experiences of those who have survived the conflict that almost eradicated humanity."

On a reply about Eragon, Eldest and the whole Inheirintence run...I didnt know he bumped it up from a trilogy....that could be interesting or be pushing the story line a bit much. I found that while he did kill off interesting characters and the main character is not the typical strong lead I still find the stories to be well written and very interesting....I havent found a book yet that doesnt get a little flat in the middle....unless it was 'God: The Ultimate Autobiography'....if you like a seriously funny poke at God then check that one out!

Jeff of the Minis

Yeah, I hadn't heard that either. I don't mind it at all, so long as it comes out soon. I'll have to read Eldest again by the time this comes out.

And about Eragon being a weak character, Trekker 42. He is badly injured at the end of the first book, but perserveres with his training dispite his injury and continues his training. I don't think he is weak at all! And as for Brom being the best character, I'd have to disagree again. I found him to be a good character, but in some ways held the story back, as he did everything for Eragon, which is why I found it much more interesting when he was travelling with Murthagh.

Well that's my opinion anyway.

Even in that sense I'd disagree. Paolini sends Eragon through a whole range of emotions, which he explores in some depth in my opinion, such as his anger when his Uncle is killed, and his anger at Saphira for taking him away, and thats just in the beginning of the first book. He delves into love, showing Eragon feelings for Saphira, and differently for Arya. It also shows his relationships in detail with Murtagh and with Brom.

I think it's pretty amazing that Christopher Paolini was only 16 when he began writing Eragon, so I think it's unfair to be critical about it.

I think he meant "weak" as in not much depth of character

Ding! You got it!

Even in that sense I'd disagree. Paolini sends Eragon through a whole range of emotions, which he explores in some depth in my opinion, such as his anger when his Uncle is killed, and his anger at Saphira for taking him away, and thats just in the beginning of the first book. He delves into love, showing Eragon feelings for Saphira, and differently for Arya. It also shows his relationships in detail with Murtagh and with Brom.

I think it's pretty amazing that Christopher Paolini was only 16 when he began writing Eragon, so I think it's unfair to be critical about it.

I agree about how cool him being 16 was, but still, no matter how you slice it, it was a mediocre book.

Oh and I must make this joke:

"Eragon, I am your Brother!

by Max Brooks

This sounds interesting. Does anyone know if it is still in print or reletivly easy to find?

I found it on the new release table at Barnes and Noble. Max Brooks wrote for SNL, authored "The Zombie Survival Guide", and is the son of Mel Brooks. Screenplay is being written by J. Michael Straczynski of Babylon 5 fame. Brad Pitt's production company Plan B will produce. The book was highly recommended by three store clerks who saw me carrying the book through the store. Finally, I'll add that if you enjoy history and politics, you will probably enjoy this book.

Plot Outline from IMDb:

"Ten years after the human victory over the world wide Zombie epidemic, referred to as World War Z, Max Brooks scours the world collecting the stories and experiences of those who have survived the conflict that almost eradicated humanity."

OK...sold!! I am gonna go find this book as soon as I can!

Jeff of the Minis

Yeah I think I will too. I read the Zombie Survival Guide by Max Brooks, which is a good book, so long as you don't take it too seriously.

Any members got a copy of this they don't want? Drop me a PM.

I read the Zombie survival guide as well, but I didn't like it enough to get World War Z. A great zombie story that I can vouch for, however, is the Walking Dead by Robert Kirkman. Its a comic series, and is fantastic Romero-inspired goodness in that the zombies are all context. The story is what might actually happen to people interacting with one another if a zombie "apocalypse" occurred. Great violent and disturbing stuff.

I read the Zombie survival guide as well, but I didn't like it enough to get World War Z. A great zombie story that I can vouch for, however, is the Walking Dead by Robert Kirkman. Its a comic series, and is fantastic Romero-inspired goodness in that the zombies are all context. The story is what might actually happen to people interacting with one another if a zombie "apocalypse" occurred. Great violent and disturbing stuff.

Kirkman is a great writer. My personal favorite book of all time is Watchmen.

Seriously, if you haven't read it yet DO IT.

Siddhartha was a bum, an elitest bum no less. I hated that book with the fire of a thousand suns.

Ive not read the book Omen but im preparing to watch the film in the upcoming weeks. If you dont mind tell me what you didnt like about the book (whether writing style or philosophy behind the narrative)? I am familiar with the story and while ill be coming into the screening with my own bias im still interested in watching it .

Im hoping..lol...that this piece of work will better clarify ...some "things". Ill leave it as vague as that so as not to derail the point of this thread.

Your input would be appreciated though :D

I personally enjoyed reading Siddhartha in middle/high school. The ideas were pretty heavy, novel and interesting to me, but then again, I was a kid growing up in a glorified fishing village in south Louisiana. If nothing else, though, I still think that the idea of having to struggle and suffer to achieve real understanding and appreciation for anything is a universal truth.

You want to read a freaky-cool book? Neverwhere by Neil Gaiman.

Very good Gaiman book. However, I'd avoid the comic book adaptation. It was missing something imo compared to reading the book.

A Gaiman/Pratchett book I was less than thrilled with was Good Omens. Something in that one just drug on forever for me. I had to put it down several times and come back to it - in one case months later - to get it finished.

Here's Gaiman's body of work.

David Brin is a great author, but kinda a jerk in person. Met him at a con long ago, and he wasn't very excited to be there at all.

Bruce Campbell, on the other hand is great person, met him at a signing, and he at elast acted interested in what i was saying. Anyone read his books? Funny and informative

Bruce Campbell, on the other hand is great person, met him at a signing, and he at elast acted interested in what i was saying. Anyone read his books? Funny and informative

I read 'Make Love the Bruce Campbell Way'. It is great. Very funny and totally digestible in two or three sittings.

• 4 months later...

I know, I know. It's a necro, but it's a thread that needed necromancing. I thought I should speak of this series Twilight by Stephanie Meyer. This is like The Notebook with Vampires and Werewolves. Kick ass and heartbreaking at the same time. It don't get better than this.

Well, except for Pendragon.

And Harry Potter. But tha's over and I need to fill the void.

Any suggestions of ongoing series to fill this void other than Pendragon and Twilight.

BTW, I read WWZ and that was an amazing story. it was like Citizen Kane with Zombies. Each new character revealed a little more about the plague, but in the end the story really came together. Great stuff. I'm looking foreward to whatever Brooks does next. maybe he should do werewolves.

Try the Vampire Earth series by E.E. Kight, loads of good post-apoctaliptic vampire goodness.

My wife just finished her SECOND star trek book over the weekend. Big, big changes, as she used to hate reading. Another convert to our side! Only took seven years....

WWZ was definetly worth the "hype" it's an altogether great read. It's nice that it's a bunch of collected survior stories, as it breaks up the novel into great little sections. Loaned my copy out, or i'd read it again.

Edited by 616commando

Ok I have to make a push for any Poirot mysteries by Agatha Christie, or any of the Sherlock Holmes!

My favorite book that I've read recently was actually for school but was just fantastic, Body of Work by Christine Montross. Definitely worth a read! :lol:

• 8 months later...
The Song of Ice and Fire series by G. R. R. Martin is amazing-think English War of the Roses meets fantasy. Throw in dragons, incest, and a lot of realistic characters and it'll blow your mind. Warning: I am a total history nerd, so take that into account.

Yep I'm gonna necro this thread, it's too good to let die! And you guys must have read something in the last 8 months! :)

I quoted OmenDreamer above because I'm currently on the third book of this series 'a storm of swords' and it's pretty good, The series reads a lot more grownup than most fantasy and Doesn't follow the usual 'boy has family killed by evil and then grows up to avenge and save the world' plotting that is way too common in the genre.

My only worry is that the writer seems to have lost interest in the series taking forever to write the latest book and I doubt he will ever finish the series. BTW whatever happened to Omen Dreamer?

Other fun books I've just finished reading & will recommend...

The Raw Shark Texts - Stephen Hall,

it's been described as "The bastard child of the matrix, jaws and the devinci code" which is a pretty accurate description, it's very odd in places and had a couple of bits that made me go "ok that's freaky". oh and it also has a cat called Ian!

A Gentlemans Game and Private Wars - Greg Rucka

Based on (and in continuity with) the Queen and Country comic books, spy books that have a heavy layer of operational stuff going on. The caveat is I'm not sure everyone will get the same from these as I did because the way the people interact is very british goverment and it reminds me of people/places I used to know.

T.