UA-100768763-1 Jump to content

Book talk

616commando

Oh, i thought we had one!! Stupid search function. <_<

And yes, i do. I saw the cover and was like "Holy crap. That's hot." Of course, this is just proving the argument in another thread that the whole "man-now-woman" trend in Marvel is just getting ridiculous. It really is.

Interestingly ít fits what is going on very well and if you'd read this and the previous storylines it would make more sense contextually,

esp the capabilites of the suit and how she got the power source to run it.

Go pick up & read at least the worlds most wanted storyline TTF, Ideally you should get the 5 nightmares story arc before it too.

T.

• Replies 361
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Currently I'm reading Green lantern corps TPB: to be a lantern ,which I'm really enjoying at the moment, Ronin I find it hard to read at times, but the artwork keeps me interested, Understanding comics ,everyone should read this book!, and thunderbolts (deadpool saga), and once in awhile all star superman(I'm on issue 7 I think..)

Edited by SErge

Ideally you should get the 5 nightmares story arc before it too.

T.

I actually own the first issue, but i just couldn't get halfway through. The whole terrorism theme was just overdone to me and i got bored. I may get the trade and hopefully feel other wise, but i dunno.

As for the floppies that i am reading, there's quite a few. DA and all, or almost all, of the DR tie-ins (especially Secret Warriors and Bullseye), Green Lantern, GL Corps, Garth Ennis's Battlefields (this is a tremendous series; highly recommened), New Avengers: The Reunion (love it), Ultimate Spider-man, any BSG comic, and Flash: Rebirth, which is incredible so far. Starting to read Cap (at issue 50 no less; 600 next month :D) and Ms Marvel (Karla is incredible as her; i love Carol, but she's been beat) too.

Trace Adkins has a book out. It is absolutely a must read. He solves all our problems on oil, energy, racism, immigration, prayer. It's awesome.

If you think I'm offensive... Well, let's just say he is everything I strive to be. Like Rush and Hanity rolled up into a red neck with a guitar and an audience of millions. XD

This post just made me sad.

Well comics-wise I am reading everything Ultimate currently. And some Thor and Thunderbolts. But I missed out on the Deadpool half of Magnum Opus. :(

And book-wise, I am between series. Dammit, I need a new series! They ended all the ones I was reading! Percy Jackson is over, Twilight is over (gracias a dios. I thought Breaking Dawn, which was Epic Fail on a Stick BTW, was never going to end. Crap ending for an OK series), Harry Potter is WAY over, and Pendragon is over! What else is there?!?!?! (And don't say Inheritance. I don't want to have to rant at you. I have already done that rant, probably in these pages somewhere. And I do not feel like that series deserves a third chance at winning my heart)

Well comics-wise I am reading everything Ultimate currently. And some Thor and Thunderbolts. But I missed out on the Deadpool half of Magnum Opus. :(

And book-wise, I am between series. Dammit, I need a new series! They ended all the ones I was reading! Percy Jackson is over, Twilight is over (gracias a dios. I thought Breaking Dawn, which was Epic Fail on a Stick BTW, was never going to end. Crap ending for an OK series), Harry Potter is WAY over, and Pendragon is over! What else is there?!?!?! (And don't say Inheritance. I don't want to have to rant at you. I have already done that rant, probably in these pages somewhere. And I do not feel like that series deserves a third chance at winning my heart)

If I can just chime in with some of the series I've read:

My grandfather of all people introduced me to Philip Pullman's His Dark Materials trilogy: The Golden Compass (or "Northern Lights" in the UK, I think), The Subtle Knife, The Amber Spyglass. (Funny story: I actually read this trilogy BACKWARDS :blink:) Yes, they made a Golden Compass movie --- Nicole Kidman, Daniel Craig and their treatment of Iorek and Serafina Pekkala are passable, but I thought Lyra wasn't mischievous enough, and they left out the first book's true

downer

ending. And the chances of them making a sequel look slim, which is a shame because The Subtle Knife is the first appearance of Will, one of the best characters in the whole Trilogy.

Also, one of my best friends introduced me to Diana Wynne Jones (did I spell this correctly?), of "Howl's Moving Castle" fame. I particularly enjoyed The Dark Lord of Dirkholm (not so much its sequel), The Chronicles of Chrestomanci (series), and my personal favorite, the Dalemark Quartet (also a series) :)

As far as series I WANT to read, I'd like to try my hand at Artemis Fowl and anything by Isaac Asimov and Philip K. Dick one of these days. And after that, maybe Kurt Vonnegut and Stephen King's Dark Tower series...

What I'm reading right now: I STILL haven't finished rereading World War Z (:wallbash:), but am now in the middle of Michel Houllebecq's "The Possibility of an Island." (The main character kinda reminds me of a cross between BHM and TBT with tiny traces of TM2 Dinobot, which is saying something :ohmy:)

Next up on the pipeline... some locally-published sci-fi/fantasy anthologies, plus some more stuff from my reading list.

What I'm reading right now: I STILL haven't finished rereading World War Z (:wallbash:), but am now in the middle of Michel Houllebecq's "The Possibility of an Island." (The main character kinda reminds me of a cross between BHM and TBT with tiny traces of TM2 Dinobot, which is saying something)

Houllebecq's a very ambivalent author. I read "The Possibiliy of an Isalnd" about two years ago - and I guess I get your references :ohmy: ) - and I liked it. I really love the way he writes, but am also shocked and disturbed by the protagonist's implicitness, arrogance and indifference. And of course his sexlife, but that's characteristic for Houllebeq I guess. There is a pretty good German movie adaption of his "Elementary Particles" from 2006 which you might like. (If you might get the dvd.)

Your reading list: "Love in the Time of fridges" is a great title! (I only know García Márquez' L.i.t.T.o. Cholera.) "The Gashlycrumb Tinies" reminds me of the very obscure ABC-picture-book "Was machen die Jungs" ("What are the boys doing" If you follow that link and "search inside" you'll find "Alfred waits for his dad" referring to the following pic.)

But Dan Brown?!?! Come on, are you kidding? :lol:

Anyway, North, I can highly recommand Jorge Luis Borges' shortstories. I got a colletcion of his works twice - first a few month ago by a friend of mine and I just forgot that she gave it to me, and then two weeks ago by one of my professors - and it's awesome! He's born 1899 and already wrote kind of post-modern, very philosophical, perplexing, perplexing and funny stroies. Give "Tlön, Uqbar, Orbis Tertius" or "The Immortal" a try if you might get it somewehre. (He worte book reviews on books that never existed. I mean, come on, you have to love him! :geek: )

Thanks for the recommendations Bob!

The "Owns" link on my shelf is actually a slightly more accurate listing of what I'm planning to read next though... To be perfectly honest, reading and buying books in the Philippines can be a notoriously frustrating experience sometimes due to the "scenester" mentality of local book distributors here: more often than not bookstores will just pander to the local audiences by overstocking popular books (like Dan Brown and Twilight today <_<) and the usual classics/"school-requirement" books (Shakespeare, Dickens, etc.) while providing an otherwise disappointing selection as far as other works/writers/genres are concerned.

Occasionally I can get lucky and manage to dig up something really cool in either the big "highbrow" bookstore chains or in my odd trawls of secondhand bookstores, but start asking around for Edward Gorey (Gashleycrumb Tinies), Douglas Adams (Dirk Gently) or any moderately cult stuff like "Song of Ice and Fire", and the clerk starts staring at you like you're one of "those" people. So basically my "true" reading list becomes a separate animal from my "current" reading list, which reflects books I can actually find here :(

Houllebecq's a very ambivalent author. I read "The Possibiliy of an Isalnd" about two years ago - and I guess I get your references :ohmy: ) - and I liked it. I really love the way he writes, but am also shocked and disturbed by the protagonist's implicitness, arrogance and indifference. And of course his sexlife,......................................

.................impliciteness ,arrogance & indifference? I ain't bothered :P

I've just read the first Ultimates (Avengers) TPB & enjoyed it immensely. It took me a while to acclimatise myself to the new order though.

As a huge fan of the Ultimates, I highly recommend you read all of volume 1 & 2. I'd also advise you skip volume three. Without the same writing/art team, it's just unacceptable crap. It's just inexcusable.

But am now in the middle of Michel Houllebecq's "The Possibility of an Island." (The main character kinda reminds me of a cross between BHM and TBT with tiny traces of TM2 Dinobot, which is saying something :ohmy:)

Next up on the pipeline... some locally-published sci-fi/fantasy anthologies, plus some more stuff from my reading list.

Objection!

It's early here and I read the stuff linked too but dont see where it says "brilliant, sexy and witty englishman abroad" crossed with "typographically pedantic old git with a hobby of bad puns" and tiny traces of "redneck with a gift of underintelligence!" :D

Just the thought of someone made from the best qualities makes me want to vomit... imagine if it were the dark side of each of them! EEEK!!!

T.

But am now in the middle of Michel Houllebecq's "The Possibility of an Island." (The main character kinda reminds me of a cross between BHM and TBT with tiny traces of TM2 Dinobot, which is saying something :ohmy:)

Objection!

It's early here and I read the stuff linked too but dont see where it says "brilliant, sexy and witty englishman abroad" crossed with "typographically pedantic old git with a hobby of bad puns" and tiny traces of "redneck with a gift of underintelligence!" :D

Just the thought of someone made from the best qualities makes me want to vomit... imagine if it were the dark side of each of them! EEEK!!!

T.

My grandfather of all people introduced me to Philip Pullman's His Dark Materials trilogy: The Golden Compass (or "Northern Lights" in the UK, I think), The Subtle Knife, The Amber Spyglass. (Funny story: I actually read this trilogy BACKWARDS :blink:) Yes, they made a Golden Compass movie --- Nicole Kidman, Daniel Craig and their treatment of Iorek and Serafina Pekkala are passable, but I thought Lyra wasn't mischievous enough, and they left out the first book's true

downer

ending. And the chances of them making a sequel look slim, which is a shame because The Subtle Knife is the first appearance of Will, one of the best characters in the whole Trilogy.

As far as series I WANT to read, I'd like to try my hand at Artemis Fowl and anything by Isaac Asimov and Philip K. Dick one of these days. And after that, maybe Kurt Vonnegut and Stephen King's Dark Tower series...

I read His Dark Materials. To me, very meh. And Artemis Fowl is HIGHLY recommended. It is a fun little series. Though kinda slacks off on the awesome meter after book 3. Four is awful, five is cool, and six is... well though with a not very strong villain (a recurring villain that I happen to hate with a passion and unfortunately just about the only recurring villain) it manages to entertain. Mainly because that villain is kept out of the picture until the end.

.................impliciteness ,arrogance & indifference? I ain't bothered :P

You're welcome. :P

I just checked and found out that I didn't read "Possibility of an Island", I read Platform! Strange thing, I still see that analogy working...

Objection!

"brilliant, sexy and witty englishman abroad"

"typographically pedantic old git with a hobby of bad puns"

"redneck with a gift of underintelligence!"

Just great!

I've just read the first Ultimates (Avengers) TPB & enjoyed it immensely. It took me a while to acclimatise myself to the new order though.

As a huge fan of the Ultimates, I highly recommend you read all of volume 1 & 2. I'd also advise you skip volume three. Without the same writing/art team, it's just unacceptable crap. It's just inexcusable.

A-frickin-men. Ultimates 3 is a godawful story. Though if you plan on reading Ultimatum, the series is somewhat necessary Though I can sum it up for you without having to read the tripe:

Ultimates have gone almost entirely emo, Black Panther mysteriously joined team b/w 2 and 3. Scarlet Witch is killed. Magneto breaks in and steals her body, takes it to Savage Land. Wolverine helps them track him down. Oh, and Venom pointlessly shows up. Moving on, Hank Pym, coninuing to be bitchy as usual, shows Jan, who is left behind, that Ultimate Yellowjacket AKA Vision is behind SW's murder and eventually it's revealed that Doom is behind Yellowjacket. Anyway, Ultimates go to Savage Land, team up with Ka-Zar. And then attack Magneto. Quicksilver is shot and apparantly killed. Magneto gets pissed, takes Mijonir and holes up in a sky fortress. THen Ultimatum begins. Oh, and Black Panther turns out to be Captain America

Yeah, total bullcrap. That's what I thought too.

Objection!

It's early here and I read the stuff linked too but dont see where it says "brilliant, sexy and witty englishman abroad" crossed with "typographically pedantic old git with a hobby of bad puns" and tiny traces of "redneck with a gift of underintelligence unrecognized brilliance yet lacking the skills to keep his big trap shut!" :D

T.

Fixed that. Now you're spot on. XD

Oh, and NR, remind me to never read anything you recomend. :)

Okay, so I read Fate of the Jedi. I love Aaron Aliston. I really do. But that book was just awful. I also read "the Birth of Venus" set in Medichi era Florance, it's about this young girl who longs to be free,

but her brother sets her up with a much older man whom she at least doesn't hate. Come to find out, he is actually her brother's lover.

It was, as far as novels go, okay. I've read better, and I've read worse, and it'll happen again with as much as I read. I also plowed through about issue #50 or so of Y: The Last Man. Highly recommended. Ultimate Spiderman is just peeving me off with it's lateness and cancellation. DST's Ult SpiderWoman can't get here fast enough to comfort me in my grief.

Ultimate Spiderman is just peeving me off with it's lateness and cancellation. DST's Ult SpiderWoman can't get here fast enough to comfort me in my grief.

You know it's not cancelled cancelled, right? They're just rebooting it for the Ultimate U rebranding.

Y: The Last Man was just about a perfect comic.

Ultimate Spiderman is just peeving me off with it's lateness and cancellation. DST's Ult SpiderWoman can't get here fast enough to comfort me in my grief.

You know it's not cancelled cancelled, right? They're just rebooting it for the Ultimate U rebranding.

Y: The Last Man was just about a perfect comic.

Yep. There is no more Ultimate Spider-Man, there will be Ultimate Comics Spider-Man. Right there beside Ultimate Avengers and by Sithis am I looking forward to THAT! (FYI: You will probably hear me do more Oblivion references from now on as I am addicted to it)

I am officially going to be taking a permenant leave of absence from the 616 universe. Currently I am only reading Thor and Thunderbolts and those will be gone when the subscriptions run out. I will now be only and all Ultimate. I will get EVERY Ultimate comic that comes out. But nothing else. Hell I almost have the entire Universe already. Only need to find Galactus which I lost somewhere. Just gonna get a new copy. And Ultimate Wolverine vs Hulk 3. And I am currently tracking that one down anyway. There are some Ultimate things I am resigned that I'll never find (unless I get damn lucky) and some things I refuse to get (Daredevil and Elektra I'm lookin' at you.) But the rest... I'm almost there.

Well, I'm sorry, but there should be a rule. When you hot the #102 mark, you are not allowed to stop and renumber everything. Large issues numbers are a good thing! it means the book is healthy. It doesn't scare readers away! Heck, #72 scares them away more than #100. I can't help it is the comic book industry is faltering. Leave my triple digit numbers alone! You know how long it too me to get this far?!