UA-100768763-1 Jump to content

Book talk

616commando

• Replies 361
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Starting Robopocalypse which is apparently WWZ with Robots. And after that, the Death Gate Cycle which has been incessantly recommended to me by a friend. So why not?

However I just recently got through Cold Days, the latest Dresden novel. And once again I am reminded why this guy kicks so much ass. He's just such a fun character.

• 1 month later...

Starting Robopocalypse which is apparently WWZ with Robots. And after that, the Death Gate Cycle which has been incessantly recommended to me by a friend. So why not?

Hey, I just started reading this too (a month later, but whatever)! How're you enjoying it?

To be honest, I'm not digging it as much as I want to. As a fan of robots, uprisings, and World War Z, I was very excited for this book. Instead I find it dragged down by the storytelling device, and while interesting, it rings hollow when compared to World War Z.

In on goodreads too, but I haven't really used it either. TTF, did you finish A Casual Vacancy? I started it a while back, but I couldn't really get into it, put it down, and suddenly it's four months later. I'll pick it up again some time soon. I will say this: I didn't get very far, but even so, the further away I get, the more I realize how crisp her characters are.

I'm currently reading Sweet Tooth by Ian McEwan and enjoying it. I've also got Telegraph Avenue by Michael Chabon and The Magicians by Lev Grossman in waiting.

Hey, I just started reading this too (a month later, but whatever)! How're you enjoying it?

To be honest, I'm not digging it as much as I want to. As a fan of robots, uprisings, and World War Z, I was very excited for this book. Instead I find it dragged down by the storytelling device, and while interesting, it rings hollow when compared to World War Z.

Well considering it took me only two days to finish it...

I did enjoy it. I can't say it QUITE had WWZ's flair, but it certainly had its own charms. I wish I had read it before WWZ and then graduated to the Zombie War. I would have loved Robopocalypse all the more.

Recently read (via Audible and LA traffic commute):

The Forever War by Dexter Filkins - nonfiction. Amazing war stories about the Afghanistan and Iraq wars from an embedded Pulitzer Prize winning journalist.

11-22-63 by Stephen King - fiction about a man who travels back in time to stop the Kennedy assassination. My favorite King book since The Stand, has won numerous awards. I'm three fourths of the way through.

• 2 weeks later...