UA-100768763-1 Jump to content

Book talk

616commando

• Replies 361
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Funny you should say that, I have a copy that I'm just about to start reading. I have read P&P before way back when, so it should be an interesting slant on the idea. Reviews tend to be mixed but the jist is not to take it too seriously!

T.

Same here. I got it as a gift, and will get around to reading it one of these days. I actually read all of Austen's book in an undergraduate literature course. Some of her books were surprisingly good, given the subject matter.

Same here. I got it as a gift, and will get around to reading it one of these days. I actually read all of Austen's book in an undergraduate literature course. Some of her books were surprisingly good, given the subject matter.

:blink: oohhh ohhhhh does this mean we can start a book club? :blink:

BTW as far as I can tell book club is just an excuse for girls to hang out and drink wine/eat chocloate and gossip! there is very little book discussion involved!

T.

BTW as far as I can tell book club is just an excuse for girls to hang out and drink wine/eat chocloate and gossip!

I work with a bunch of social workers, and am one of very few males on the floor. Not trying to sound sexist, but damn. . .I've never seen the kind of gossip and "nosiness" that I see there. They don't share my taste in books, unfortunately.

Zombies make the classics better. :)

Zombies make the classics better. :)

There are few things that Zombies make worse. For Example: Pie. Nobody wants Zombie pie.

::raises hand::

Seconded. With seconds. And don't skimp on the brains. What, they can eat mine but i can't eat theirs?! :ohmy:

You guys are making me want to actually read these, but i feel like if i don't read the originals then i won't do them any justice... :confused:

Recently I started reading the spinoff B.P.R.D., which certainly expands on the Hellboy franchise's charm.

That's next on my list, once I get through the main series. Glad to hear it's good, you can never tell with spin-offs...

I loved Lobster Johnsons miniseries. Read it when you get a chance

I didn't know there was one, so cheers, I'll definitely check it out...

I know what you mean karamazov... I think I've had more nightmares involving the zombies from that House of the Dead arcade game than from vampires, werewolves, monsters, aliens and robots combined. And I just can't take mummies seriously anymore after watching all those Stephen Sommers films :P

BTW as far as I can tell book club is just an excuse for girls to hang out and drink wine/eat chocloate and gossip! there is very little book discussion involved!

I take offense at that!

... mostly we just drink Gatorade and eat corn chips while copying each other's homework :lol:

Recently I started reading the spinoff B.P.R.D., which certainly expands on the Hellboy franchise's charm.

That's next on my list, once I get through the main series. Glad to hear it's good, you can never tell with spin-offs...

I loved Lobster Johnsons miniseries. Read it when you get a chance

I didn't know there was one, so cheers, I'll definitely check it out...

If you like Abe and the secondary characters, you should enjoy B.P.R.D. It also features some good solo stories with a really indepth mythology-- I've always adored that about Hellboy.

• 1 month later...

I started working at Spencer's Gifts (don't judge me) while I finish school and yesterday I picked up Tucker Max's I Hope They Serve Beer in Hell. While Max is a total douche this book is hilarious. I can not remeber the last time a book made me laugh so hard.

You can read some of the stories on his website here.

Edited by minimadman

I started working at Spencer's Gifts (don't judge me)

simpsons_haha2.jpg

:D

Honestly, I'm not even sure what Spencers is. Is that the shop in the mall that used to sell lots of horror toys?

Edited by karamazov80

I recently finished Agatha Christie's The Murder of Roger Ackroyd. Good, fun, quick read. I've since (re)read The Adventures of Sherlock Holmes and have started rereading Poe's Auguste Dupine stories. Ah, classic mystery fiction, how you have sucked me in.

I started reading Pride and Prejudice and Zombies, which is a ton of fun so far. It takes the full original Pride and Prejudice text and adds additional text about the ongoing zombie armageddon going on around the main characters. I am a hopeless romantic, so I already loved the original text. Now it is even better when I get to read about Elizabeth beheading zombies as she runs to Mr. Darcy. :D

Did anyone else see this?

post-955-1253217096_thumb.jpg

It's a new Star Wars novel but it is supposedly going to be horror complete with all out gore & better yet, zombies!!!!!

Zombies + Star Wars= Good? It's definitely a bold move. I don't think that there are any know characters in the book. It comes out October 13. I have never read a Star Wars novel but I may give this one a look. The description can be read here.

Edited by minimadman

• 3 weeks later...

I. Hate. Twilight. It ruined the concept of vampires. And vampires don't ****ing sparkle! :angry:

Dracula and Nosfaratu! Now those are vampires! B)

Now rant aside, read my earlier post to learn what im reading. Im also reading Punk 365, the comprehensive guide to punk. It's awesome! :buttrock: My friend also gave me a Best of Marvel Comics TPB, which I plan to read soon. :)

• 2 weeks later...

I am reading Eoin Colfer's And Another Thing which is a continuation of Douglas Adams's The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy. And as a Guide fan, I can confirm that Colfer got it. His humor is a bit less... cerebral than Adams's, but be that as it may, it's still an amazing book so far. It's part closure, part "We owe this to the fans" and part author having fun. And all good. So far at least. I'll tell you when I finish if I think it was worth it. But hey, it's better than Mostly Harmless. Which isn't saying much as I spent a good part of Mostly Harmless in a state of utter "What the fuck is going on here?!?!?!?!" so I was not the biggest fan of it...

Anyway, And Another Thing. Good so far.

I am reading Eoin Colfer's And Another Thing which is a continuation of Douglas Adams's The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy. And as a Guide fan, I can confirm that Colfer got it. His humor is a bit less... cerebral than Adams's, but be that as it may, it's still an amazing book so far. It's part closure, part "We owe this to the fans" and part author having fun. And all good. So far at least. I'll tell you when I finish if I think it was worth it. But hey, it's better than Mostly Harmless. Which isn't saying much as I spent a good part of Mostly Harmless in a state of utter "What the fuck is going on here?!?!?!?!" so I was not the biggest fan of it...

Anyway, And Another Thing. Good so far.

WTF?!!! that sounds like a terrible idea, the best thing about Adams work was that it was uniquely Adams and nothing was even close!

T.