UA-100768763-1 Jump to content

Book talk

616commando

• Replies 361
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thankyou for your help & I think he would appreciate anything . There are dozens of different titles but I'm only managing to find one or two on US ebay which tends to make the shipping expensive. I can't understand why they are so scarce?

sorry for the delay in my response. i'm still not quite sure exactly what ya mean, though. these are prose collections using marvel characters... and they are all published by boulevard? i'll do a search on amazon.com if you want me to--- they offer good deals on used books, and the shipping is reasonable.

is there any particular character your friend likes best?

just sent you a PM, buttheadsmate. :)

Edited by velvet

Read "Soon I Will Be Invincible". Again. For like the 8th time. I love this book. The most annoying thing about it is that when I mention it, more often than not people go "Oh yeah, I remember reading that back in the late 80's/early 90's" Which is just a total lie as it was published in 2007. What's wrong with people?

• 1 month later...

I just finished reading "The Brief Wondrous Life Of Oscar Wao". That has to be one of the most depressing books I have ever read. It's a fantastic read, but nonetheless sad. I also finished up "Haters" by David Moody, which was one of the best sci fi books I've read recently. I really urge you to pick it up, because it really provokes thought and it's being made into a film produced by Guillermo Del Toro. I'm gonna go to pick up "Dog Blood" by David Moody and "The Strain" by Guillermo Del Toro and Chuck Hogan.

Not sure if it qualifies as a book ( as it's a comic/graphic novel) but because of a deal through Amazon I picked up the "Walking dead - Omnibus". Thats issues 1-48 of the comic in one big chunky book. :)

It's a great read, better than I remembered from the stuff I'd read previously.

Other than that I have the new hitchhikers book sitting waiting to be read but cant bring myself to pick it up...because I know it's not Douglas Adams & it's not going to be the same.

T.

Not sure if it qualifies as a book ( as it's a comic/graphic novel) but because of a deal through Amazon I picked up the "Walking dead - Omnibus". Thats issues 1-48 of the comic in one big chunky book. :)

It's a great read, better than I remembered from the stuff I'd read previously.

Other than that I have the new hitchhikers book sitting waiting to be read but cant bring myself to pick it up...because I know it's not Douglas Adams & it's not going to be the same.

T.

Do it man. No it's not the same. A lot more action. But it's close. I liked it. Go for it.

Right now I'm in the middle of rereading my copy of Chuck Klosterman's "Killing Yourself To Live." It's sort of a semi-autobiographical book about the connection between death and rock 'n' roll, and something I bought back when I was heavy in my "rock music lover" phase. It's still an enjoyable read though. :)

And while not book-related peer se, I also just dug up a pile of my old childhood copies of Disney Adventures. Does anybody here still remember that magazine? Sweet son of a peach cobbler, the memories. With things like Power Rangers, the Spice Girls, and yes, even Schumacher's Batman and Robin on the covers... God, my childhood was a sad, weird thing :lol:

Sweet son of a peach cobbler, the memories. With things like Power Rangers, the Spice Girls, and yes, even Schumacher's Batman and Robin on the covers... God, my childhood was a sad, weird thing :lol:

My God, I remember those! I started getting them around 2000! I think I tossed all of mine though... They had some awesome comics later in their run. As for my reading habits right now, I think I'm gonna reread the last books in my favorite series. Yaknow, because I can.

T.

Do it man. No it's not the same. A lot more action. But it's close. I liked it. Go for it.

I've had the same hesitation about that book. I'll give it a whirl at some point over the summer.

After watching The Pacific on HBO, I've picked up Helmet for My Pillow by Robert Leckie and With the Old Breed by Eugene Sledge. Helmet for My Pillow is a great, terrificly human book. I haven't started the other one yet.

I am so tired of zombies that I couldn't quite bring myself to read Pride & Prejudice & Zombies, but I just finished that dude's new book -- Abraham Lincoln, Vampire Hunter -- and it was really good! Much more of an actual novel than I thought it would be, was expecting just jokey parody I guess.

Also read Palahniuk's new one recently, Tell-All, and it was... pretty lame. The thing where he wrote it in a kind of old-timey newspaper gossip column style -- I never would've known what he was going for if I hadn't heard him say so in an interview before reading it. And... yeah. It was just kind of boring. I like the general premise, but too much technique and not enough plot, kind of like in Diary but way worse.

re: Hitchhiker's, I can't even bring myself to look at that one. For me that series was a little about the characters/"plot" and a LOT about Douglas Adams.

Edited by battlecat

Im reading The Return of the Indian, the second book in the "Indian and the Cupboard" series

I read that one, as well as the first one. Great books. :)

Still need to read the rest of them at some point.

As for me, the most recent books I read were Somoza and the Legacy of U.S. Involvement in Central America and Paraguay Under Stroessner (in conformity with the "no discussing politics" rule, I won't go into any details), as well as a few adult joke books. :P

And while not book-related peer se, I also just dug up a pile of my old childhood copies of Disney Adventures. Does anybody here still remember that magazine?

Disney Adventures? Now there's a name from the past. I used to read it, too, back in the day. I think I might even have a few copies somewhere.

A really good, and interesting book that I have always loved is

"Monster: Autobiography of an LA gang Member" by Sanyika Shakur a.k.a. Cody Scott.

I grew up and hung out with people like that. It's interesting for people who didn't grow up like that to have an insight into some gang workings.

I was reading a best-seller yesterday and it surprised me no one has talked about it here. It's called, 'The Bible'. It's a fascinating book with all sorts of insight. For me, I can't wait to read the sequel.

Yes, I'm just trying to be cheeky (yet still play within the rules of the thread/message board). Sorry if I'm the only one who finds making this statement amuzing.

I was reading a best-seller yesterday and it surprised me no one has talked about it here. It's called, 'The Bible'. It's a fascinating book with all sorts of insight. For me, I can't wait to read the sequel.

Yes, I'm just trying to be cheeky (yet still play within the rules of the thread/message board). Sorry if I'm the only one who finds making this statement amuzing.

I have to have it to my editor in the next 3 days, so you won't have to wait long for the sequel.

There's even an airbrushed mural of me on the cover. Super classy

I dunno about a sequel, every hotel room I've been in has one someone left behind, surely if it were any good people wouldn't abandon it so easily... :blink::D

T.

p.s. This is skating close to the edge of the "no religion" rule so lets be careful where we go from here, humor is fine as long as we stay with literature rather than religion.

:D

Bearing in mind that a mural is a pictured painted on a wall ....that'll be very heavy reading . ;)

Jericho comes to mind......Joshua & his horny followers :D

-bibleheadsmate

You spelled "picture" wrong :D

And just to clear up any confusion, there is a mural of me on a wall. And the cover of the book is a picture of the wall. So, neener neener.

Are there any revelations you can share with us....or can put testament to?

Bearing in mind that a mural is a pictured painted on a wall ....that'll be very heavy reading . ;)

-bibleheadsmate

And just to clear up any confusion, there is a mural of me on a wall. And the cover of the book is a picture of the wall. So, neener neener.

Pity you mentioned that I had you 'pictured' holding the Symbiote Spidey I was going to send you....... but you picked on me just like the others ..... so hard luck now .............neeny-neener nee :yucky:

Are there any revelations you can share with us....or can put testament to?

-bibleheadsmate

Pity you mentioned that I had you 'pictured' holding the Symbiote Spidey I was going to send you....... but you picked on me just like the others ..... so hard luck now .............neeny-neener nee :yucky:

If it wasn't for hard luck, I'd have no luck at all.

You're lucky I'm not going to SDCC Rob. Very lucky indeed