UA-100768763-1 Jump to content

Book talk

616commando

I haven't read it, but I came across the book 'Secret Identity' at work (we distribute it). It's the book about Superman co-creator Joe Shuster and how he did some pretty twisted fetish artwork later on in life. Just a quick glance inside shows enough sick stuff that changes how I view him and his creation. It'd be like finding out Mr. Roger's had a secret thing for leather or something. Very sad to see.

I heard about that a while back on Fresh Air, I think. Later that day I got an email from my wife telling me she heard a neat story about the pulp art of Joel Schumacher. Thankfully we managed to work through that.

• Replies 361
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

ive been reading the game,by neil struass

What does a nice young lad like yourself need a devious little book like that for?

you know eh,eh,eh :thumbsup:;)

:PIMP:

Shame. Shame. Shame. Good luck with that.

gimme a break!!im only 13 and doesnt have a girlfriend come on man!

What does a nice young lad like yourself need a devious little book like that for?

Give YOU A break?

I need a freaking break! I'm 17 and I've never had a girlfriend!!!!

It SUCKS!!!!

Give YOU A break?

It SUCKS!!!!

im 13 and never had a girlfriend,i feel your pain,even though it might be a 4 year difference,i feel your pain

im 13 and never had a girlfriend,i feel your pain,even though it might be a 4 year difference,i feel your pain

I'm sorry, but I doubt you do.

IMO 13 is way to young to date. To the point where it's not even funny.

What would you possibly do? Hold hands at McDonald's? Go to the movies with your parents sitting next to you?

Heyheyhey cmon this a book thread not a dating(or not dating)thread! And while were on the subject I'm thirteen and have a problem with going out with girls I mean seriously I can't even drive yet! For real I mean if I go "out" with a girl I'll tell her that it'll just be an at school thing and we might hang out at the mall a couple of times...it's more like friends with that title...whatever well I finished the Road and I cried a bit it's the saddest book I've ever read I can't believe the ending it delievered so much now I'm gonna buy the last Olympian

So you think that tricking a girl is the best way to go about that? Girls don't like being made a fool of and if that is why you are reading that book that is what you will be doing. I have been with my wife since I was 15. I am 29 now. I don't think that any relationship that begins through trickery could be worthwhile.

Give YOU A break?

It SUCKS!!!!

All good things in time sir. Enjoy being young and when it happens it happens.

So you think that tricking a girl is the best way to go about that? Girls don't like being made a fool of and if that is why you are reading that book that is what you will be doing. I have been with my wife since I was 15. I am 29 now. I don't think that any relationship that begins through trickery could be worthwhile.

Have you read The Game? It doesn't really disagree with your stance. I know the publishers designed it to look like a how-to guide or something, but it's actually a memoir about how Strauss enters the underground pick-up artist scene undercover to do a story for Rolling Stone, kind of takes over the entire community, and then realizes all the meaningless sex is... well... meaningless. It's a really interesting book, the best part is when

he ends up living in some random rented mansion in LA with a group of his "followers" and, for no apparent reason, Courtney Love....

very surreal, like a Palahniuk novel or something.

Edited by battlecat

Have you read The Game? It doesn't really disagree with your stance. I know the publishers designed it to look like a how-to guide or something, but it's actually a memoir about how Strauss enters the underground pick-up artist scene undercover to do a story for Rolling Stone, kind of takes over the entire community, and then realizes all the meaningless sex is... well... meaningless. It's a really interesting book, the best part is when

he ends up living in some random rented mansion in LA with a group of his "followers" and, for no apparent reason, Courtney Love....

very surreal, like a Palahniuk novel or something.

I read it but that is not why he is reading as he indicated by his above post. If you have not already you should read Emergency which is Strauss preparing for WTSHTSF (When The Shit Hits The Fan).

I read it but that is not why he is reading as he indicated by his above post. If you have not already you should read Emergency which is Strauss preparing for WTSHTSF (When The Shit Hits The Fan).

Yeah any 13-year-old male, with the accompanying hormonal overload, is going to have an (understandable) interest in a book concerning sex, but I just remember it ultimately having a positive message. So even if someone's reading it with the wrong intentions, hopefully that message would rub off by the end of the book...

Haven't heard of Emergency, but I'll look for it at the library, cheers. He's definitely a compelling writer.

Edited by battlecat

This is going to sound like an utter riot but...

I'VE been reading The Game. :lol:

Sis and I decided to buy the book today for laughs, and so that we would "recognize" whatever moves guys following the book to the letter (:blink:) might pull. So far I'm on Chapter 2 (yes, I'm that quick a reader) and I am seriously torn between genuinely appreciating Strauss's intentions (from a sympathetic feminine standpoint) and ROFLing my ass off (from a snarky critical standpoint... is the dating scene really this nuts?!)

To any guys getting any "weird" ideas reading The Game: consider yourselves warned.

is the dating scene really this nuts?!)

To any guys getting any "weird" ideas reading The Game: consider yourselves warned.

I think there's a *big* difference between the dating/relationship scene and the singles bars/casual sex scene that's the setting of the book... so, yes and no :P

Thankfully, the transformation in the book to PUA is much more than just learning a few lines -- I think the whole "getting fit/tanning/waxing/buying flashy suits/learning magic tricks/facing endless rejection before any success" part of it would turn off most guys reading it as a how-to guide...

Yeah,the social and psychological stuff in the book is pretty well-applied considering that the "central objective" is getting laid. At one point I actually mistook Neil Strauss for the same Strauss who wrote this book, which would've explained the heavy conceptual approach the book was taking.

EDIT: Just finished the book. Wow, that plot turn was unexpected. Not a bad book at all.

Edited by NorthRaider

• 4 weeks later...

I have recently (IE Today) picked up the X-Men forever series. And I love it. The premise is that Magneto never came out of Asteroid M when it crashed back in Clairmont's run. But the real premise is that Marvel is letting Clairmont run amock with the characters. And run amock he does. Four issues in and

Wolverine is killed by someone who may or may not be Storm.

Crazy stuff indeed and highly recommended if you liked Clairmont's run with the X-Men.

I recently picked up "The Night Shift" by Stephen King, and read several of the short stories therein. It convinced me to get "the Running Man," written under his alias Richard Bachman. I just started (I'm about 1/3 of the way through), and of course, it is nothing like the film, and many many times better.

Edited by karamazov80

I picked up Kick Ass which is fantastic I love the action and I think it's Millars best work yet

Saw some pretty funny clips from the movie that they showed at SDCC, that someone recorded and put on Youtube (just checked and they seem to have been removed now, understandably). Nicolas Cage as Hit Girl's dad was surprisingly hilarious.

On-topic, I've been working my way through Hellboy, it's great. Wasn't really expecting that much since I found the movies just alright, and the animated movies outright boring. The books are much moodier, with some great lines and some great art...

Edited by battlecat

My girlfriend recently lent me Breathers: A Zombie's Lament by S.G. Browne. Zombie romance? HILARIOUS! It was one of those novels you just can't put down.

As far as comics go, I've been reading DC's 52 and have been enjoying it a lot. I picked it up for Booster Gold mostly, but I found the Steel and Montoya storylines to be as equally entertaining.

On-topic, I've been working my way through Hellboy, it's great. Wasn't really expecting that much since I found the movies just alright, and the animated movies outright boring. The books are much moodier, with some great lines and some great art...

Hellboy is amazing. Recently I started reading the spinoff B.P.R.D., which certainly expands on the Hellboy franchise's charm.

My girlfriend recently lent me Breathers: A Zombie's Lament by S.G. Browne. Zombie romance? HILARIOUS! It was one of those novels you just can't put down.

Although I haven't read it yet, I came across the book 'Pride and Predjudice and Zombies' at work. As much as I usually despise classic literature, I'm really tempted to read it.

Although I haven't read it yet, I came across the book 'Pride and Predjudice and Zombies' at work. As much as I usually despise classic literature, I'm really tempted to read it.

Funny you should say that, I have a copy that I'm just about to start reading. I have read P&P before way back when, so it should be an interesting slant on the idea. Reviews tend to be mixed but the jist is not to take it too seriously!

T.