UA-100768763-1 Jump to content

Who watches the Watchmen?

karamazov80

• Replies 358
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

There is as far as I know only one Watchman TPB just has different covers etc as it has been reprinted a few times.

No origin story as such but the story gives you back history as you read so not that hard to follow. The whole thing was originally written to use know old comic heroes that weren't being published at the time but even though DC supposedly loved the story they didn't want to have characters they had the copyright on used/portrayed in such a way so Moore changed the names to protect the innocent :)

quick rundown from the Wiki of the main ppl

Watchmen is set in an alternate reality that closely mirrors the contemporary world of the 1980s. The main difference is the existence of superheroes. Their presence in this history has altered the outcomes of real-world events such as the Vietnam War and presidency of Richard Nixon.[17] Although the cast of Watchmen are commonly called "superheroes," the only character in the principal cast who possesses superhuman powers is Dr. Manhattan.[18] In the comic, they refer to themselves as "costumed adventurers" or, less frequently considering its comparatively negative connotations, "masked vigilantes".

As stated above, the cast of Watchmen was initially based upon old MLJ Comics and then Charlton Comics characters. The Comedian (Edward Blake) is based on Peacemaker. Doctor Manhattan (Jon Osterman) is derived from Captain Atom, while the first and second Nite Owls (Hollis Mason and Dan Dreiberg) are based upon Blue Beetle. Thunderbolt serves as the inspiration for Ozymandias (Adrian Veidt), while the Question and Mr. A do the same for Rorschach (Walter Kovacs). Finally, the first and second Silk Spectres (Sally Jupiter and Laurie Juspeczyk) are roughly analogous to Nightshade, but only in that they are female. Moore has stated that the Silk Spectres are more directly inspired by elements of Black Canary and Phantom Lady.

Its been reprinted many times and with as many different covers. If you haven't read it before, I recommend it. It gives sort of a "real world" view of a "superhero" and doesn't candy coat it.

Oyzmandias & Nite-owl look like they repainted outfits from the god awful "Batman & Robin" but other than that Rorschach is perfect! i still have some glimmer of hope for this. i can't wait for a trailer, think they'll have something ready by Dark Knight?

Oyzmandias & Nite-owl look like they repainted outfits from the god awful "Batman & Robin" but other than that Rorschach is perfect! i still have some glimmer of hope for this. i can't wait for a trailer, think they'll have something ready by Dark Knight?

Principal shooting is over, so you might think that they have enough to pull a trailer from (just look at the photos out there). The issue is, how much of the polished movie they can show, since there is likely a great deal of CG work to finish up. I think getting a brief teaser ready for Dark Knight is almost necessary, given the crowd that they are going to try and market this thing to. . .on a related note, I sure hope this one makes money so that we can get some darker comic-fare (C'mon Preacher!), but I fear that it will fly right over a lot of people's heads.

I've just flicked through the current issue of SFX & on page 25 noticed the 'one line' news item .........'Fox suing Warner over rights to make Watchmen.'....is this news to you guys?

Its been going on for a bit.

Fox sues over Watchmen

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...
And that damn Billy Corrigan song does not fit the trailer at all.

No kidding! Given the time frame that the movie is set in, I think a Wham or Tears for Fears song would have worked much better :) Seriously though, that song sucks something fierce.

My expectations will be a little low here. I do worry that the over-stylized nature of a 300 or Sin City might not really fit in so well with Watchmen. But either way, at least now we will get some nice Rorschach figures!

Edited by karamazov80

Hey, you guys will have to excuse me if it's already been posted, but I was wondering where to find the HIGHEST quality non-HD version of the trailer. Could someone just put a link below this post? If there's a link above, I didn't wanna read ANYTHING about the trailer at all, so I skipped it. I would've seen it with The Dark Knight, but apparently it was only attached to the IMAX trailer. :( SO, could anyone post a link with no discussion about the trailer attached? Thanks!

actually deadpool, it wasn't, i saw it in a conventional theater last night and it was attached, the terminator trailer wasn't tho, and i'd post it but media is blocked at work

It was where I am. It made me die a little inside. I LOVED The Dark Knight, but I sat though seven trailers, and the guy before the movie SAID it was going to show. This killed my night. Ugh.

actually deadpool, it wasn't, i saw it in a conventional theater last night and it was attached, the terminator trailer wasn't tho, and i'd post it but media is blocked at work

It was where I am. It made me die a little inside. I LOVED The Dark Knight, but I sat though seven trailers, and the guy before the movie SAID it was going to show. This killed my night. Ugh.

terminator? die? bad? pants?

Huh, I'm really confused. Before Dark Knight (which I saw in IMAX at midnight), we only had two trailers. The first was a Harry Potter one which just had the music and a voice before showing the movie title. And the second was Watchmen. Granted, that trailer completely blew my mind, but it seems like everyone else saw more trailers. What did I miss?

One more thing, I was completely blown away by Dr. Manhattan. As some mentioned earlier, it's extremely easy to throw some blue paint on someone. However, the method they chose is so much better. I thought for sure we wouldn't see him until right before the movie opens, but man was I glad they showed him now.

And I've never read Watchmen.

:ohmy:

I want to see The Day the Earth Stood Still. That one looked awesome.

:sick:

I concur.

Then could you Watchmen fanboys give me a quickie plot summary because whenever I see the TPB I wonder what it is, but the back is no help at all. It says how many awards it has won and how many people love the book, but I will never read a book without knowing the basic premise. Wikipedia's article is too hard to follow. And the trailer didn't help much.