UA-100768763-1 Jump to content

Who watches the Watchmen?

karamazov80

• Replies 358
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Huh, I'm really confused. Before Dark Knight (which I saw in IMAX at midnight), we only had two trailers. The first was a Harry Potter one which just had the music and a voice before showing the movie title. And the second was Watchmen. Granted, that trailer completely blew my mind, but it seems like everyone else saw more trailers. What did I miss?

One more thing, I was completely blown away by Dr. Manhattan. As some mentioned earlier, it's extremely easy to throw some blue paint on someone. However, the method they chose is so much better. I thought for sure we wouldn't see him until right before the movie opens, but man was I glad they showed him now.

The regular release (not IMAX) saw a trailer for a new Terminatior movie, The Day the Earth Stood Still, Mummy 3, and some others. I usually don't get many trailers before IMAX movies. in fact, Beowulf and SM3 had none and Open Season (yes I did get bored one day and saw this in IMAX) had about two so you got less trailers for seing it in IMAX.

Trekker, it takes place in the mid-1980s, in a world where the U.S. had superheroes (or a superhero) during the Cold War, which makes it sort of a "what if" tale. It was the first real, mainstream, post-modern look at superheroes, and (not coincidentally) was written by Alan Moore--the finest comic writer that I have ever seen. Also, it has some great characters, which were originally intended to be Charlton and Archie Comics characters including the Blue Beetle (Night Owl), the Question (Rorschach), and Captain Atom (Dr. Manhattan). These characters' rights were owned by DC in the mid-80s, but they ultimately didn't want Moore screwing around with their characters, so they made him create these new characters.

I wouldn't want to really give you any more info. beyond that. I think it would be best for you to just buy it and read it, without any other knowledge of the story. But if you want to know more spoilers--wikipedia :)

Edited by karamazov80

• 3 weeks later...

Well, I'm about halfway through the book (Finally broke down and got it after seeing the trailer in IMAX) and I must say that I'll be watching the Watchmen coverage from now on. To say it's a good book is putting it a little lightly. It's an amazing book. I must say that so far, I prefer the Long Halloween but that's just because I like Batman more than these guys. But still, it's in my top ten of graphic novels I've ever read.

In short: I like it.

Unless they... :ohmy: ...change it!?

Based on what Snyder has said, I seriously, seriously doubt it. However, I think some of the broader messages and subtexts of the film (as I interpret them, anyway) are just as disturbing as the ending to the story. What is Alan Moore saying about the nature of hope, the nature of international relations, and the nature of man generally?

Yeah, its definitely not a happy ending. I am curious to see how the general public will like it.

Blasphemy. Blasphemy I say! BLASPHEMY!!!!!!

Wow. A convert defending that which he has been comissioned to defend. :) Wasn't it just a week ago that you'd never read Watchmen (or heard of it?) :P

And I agreed. Blasphemy to the highest. I'd like everyone who reads this thread to sign a petition stating that should Zack Snyder decide to change the ending, beginning, middle, early middle, late middle, subplots, symbolism, characters, character names, times, events, conflicts, backstories, hair colors, or dialogue of the story: I have your support in his lynching.

Yeah, its definitely not a happy ending. I am curious to see how the general public will like it.

Blasphemy. Blasphemy I say! BLASPHEMY!!!!!!

Wow. A convert defending that which he has been comissioned to defend. :) Wasn't it just a week ago that you'd never read Watchmen (or heard of it?) :P

And I agreed. Blasphemy to the highest. I'd like everyone who reads this thread to sign a petition stating that should Zack Snyder decide to change the ending, beginning, middle, early middle, late middle, subplots, symbolism, characters, character names, times, events, conflicts, backstories, hair colors, or dialogue of the story: I have your support in his lynching.

It was a week ago. Then I saw the trailer in the IMAX theater and tought the movie looked good without the book. Then I saw the book at a bookstore and it seemed like fate that I had a coupon to said bookstore and I got Watchmen. and I absolutely friggen loved it. So yes, I'm a convert.

And I've heard that "Tales of the Black Freighter" will not be in the film, so they're releasing an animated version of it which, supposedly, will be edited into the DVD extended edition. So no piratey goodness in Watchmen: The Movie until the DVD.

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...

And there's more trailer-like goodness to be found here. In this one, you get to see more than shadows of Rorschach and you can see the moment where Dr. Manhatten busts in on Ozymandius after Ozy thought Manhatten dead. Along with other cool stuff. I swear, these guys fucking did it. It's going to be amazing.

Unless it isn't. Then I'm going to have to bust some heads. Who's with me!!!?

And now it's official. Watchmen will be rated R for violence, nudity, and the stuff we expected from Watchmen.

I would be shocked and confused if it wasn't.

Edited by karamazov80

So I got a copy of Watchmen recently, signed personally by Dave Gibbons and decided to see what all the fuss was about. It was the best comic book/graphic novel that I have ever read. It's been said many times but it was fantastic. I am so psyched for this movie. Why can't march come sooner?

Is there any chance for Minimates though as its DC? The Spirit is DC right, and we get MM of that movie. Watchmen would work so well with MM.

I loved the bittersweet ending and can't wait to see the reactions in the cinema.

Also, I love the song from the trailer and think it fits well.

So I got a copy of Watchmen recently, signed personally by Dave Gibbons and decided to see what all the fuss was about. It was the best comic book/graphic novel that I have ever read. It's been said many times but it was fantastic. I am so psyched for this movie. Why can't march come sooner?

Is there any chance for Minimates though as its DC? The Spirit is DC right, and we get MM of that movie. Watchmen would work so well with MM.

I loved the bittersweet ending and can't wait to see the reactions in the cinema.

Also, I love the song from the trailer and think it fits well.

Whoa... a signed copy? Lucky

and the Spirit is DC so maybe Watchmen minis will come about. I hope they will at least. I want tiny Rorschach and tiny Manhattan and hell all of them. Every Minuteman too.

I'd love a boxed set and two pack like Spirit is getting

Dr Manhattan

Rorschach

Nite Owl (Dan)

Silk Spectre (Laurie)

Comedian

Ozymandius

That would be awesome. I think they'd transfer well to minis.

Edited by Dan

Forgive me if this is an obvious question, but who here thinks this'll beat The Dark Knight (in quality of film and economic prosperity)?

I'm...I'm torn. The Dark Knight was amazing. Great. Really really great. But Watchmen's looking--well, amazing. Great. Really really really great.

Which'll be better, and which will fare better, based on your own analysis and projections?

I don't think Watchmen can beat Dark Knight. Is the source story better? Yes, by far. But the Dark Knight was something really special. I honestly can't conceive of a better "film" being inspired by a funny book character, until I see it (and I am excluding here A History of Violence, which I think is the best film I have seen over the last few years, but wasn't a "traditional" super hero-based comic book). As more info. comes out on Watchmen, I am cautiously optimistic that it will be a good, and possibly a very good, movie, but I just can't imagine it being a better "film" than the Dark Knight. A better representation of the source material? I am fairly confident that it will be, and in that sense, it may end up being a better "comic book movie," but not a better film. Snyder hasn't shown me that he is a movie-maker worthy of being compared with Chris Nolan yet, frankly. I'm hoping that he changes my mind with this one. The casting seems spot on, so that is a start, anyway.

"I knew what people were, then, behind all the evasions, all the self-deception. Ashamed for humanity, I went home. I took the remains of her unwanted dress. . .and made a face that I could bear to look at in the mirror."

Edited by karamazov80

Forgive me if this is an obvious question, but who here thinks this'll beat The Dark Knight (in quality of film and economic prosperity)?

I'm...I'm torn. The Dark Knight was amazing. Great. Really really great. But Watchmen's looking--well, amazing. Great. Really really really great.

Which'll be better, and which will fare better, based on your own analysis and projections?

For me, I would have to say The Dark Knight. You see, The Dark Knight was an original story, limited only by the imagination of Christopher Nolan and the eventual fate of Harvey Dent. I had no idea what was going to happen in The Dark Knight and it blew me away. It transcended the boundaries of the comic book movie more than anything and it will be special for that.

Watchmen, on the other hand, is based off of an existing property and is limited by the scope o that. Readers will know the fate of Rorschach, Manhattan, Ozymandius and co. already and that limits the surprise. Watchmen will be more about the spectacle of seeing this brought to life (if, indeed, it can be). The sheer surprise an edge of your seat suspense of The Dark Knight will probably triumph over the spectacle of Watchmen

And as for Box Office predictions, the prize once again goes to The Dark Knight. Heath Ledger gives TDK the edge here as Watchmen did not have a major Hollywood actor die just before release (yet). And Watchmen is rated R, so that leaves out the younger generation who raised TDK's PG-13 box-office numbers. TDK was much more of a mainstream film than Watchmen, a mainstream story, less dark (ironically enough) with no heroes dying (unless you count Dent, but still) and Watchmen, minor spoilers, sorry, does have a hero die. Watchmen, then is less accessable to audiences. Thus, TDK will win.

• 2 weeks later...

Gotta admit, that trailer looks MIGHTY fine, but I still fear too much slow motion. . .didn't like all the excessive slo-mo in 300, personally. . .should be able to create drama and tension without the slo-mo. . .why, why all the slo-mo. . .

Anyways, I wonder if everybody who was bitching about Batman's growl will now bitch about Rorschach's voice. I dig, myself. Kind of think Manhattan should have a more "otherworldly" voice, but. . .also, there appears to be a fairly major spoiler in that trailer. Surprised to see it there.