UA-100768763-1 Jump to content

Wave 7 posted!

Destrin41016

Beautiful. Finally, a MA/SA Flash.

I'm not worried about Clayface or Grodd moving too far away from the standard Mate look. They still fit right in and the fact that DCD is working in variety in shapes and characters is fantastic and shows that the DC Mates have some legs or staying power.

Proof in the pudding on that is the Bug/Lobo pack. Just awesome. Seriosuly awesome.

I'm excited for this wave, like the other waves.

• Replies 160
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

WHAT THE F@*#???!! I go away for 1 day and come home to find that the Marvel MM wave 15 (GR) has been pushed back to Oct and am very livid about that. But then to quell my anger, I find the most EXTRODINARY wave (7) of DCD minimates. Thank you DCD, I have no doubt that your shipping schedule will hold true. Unlike DST who likes to change shipping dates a WEEK before release and push it back 3 months.

Thanks for Lobo, Ambush Bug, Starfire, (a non C3) Nightwing, (a non C3) Flash, Gorilla Grodd (love the mullet), Classic Batman and Clayface (is it the animated version? Sure looks like it.).

Comments on the new wave: Love the new torso, hands and feet pieces for Grodd and Clayface. I wonder if they'll be 2.5" tall or just bulked up 2 inchers. Question: Does Grodd have that god awful mullet in the comics? Glad some of the DC fans'll be able to get their hands on Nightwing and the Flash without having to shell out expensive eBay prices. Love Lobo's look. He's exactly the way I envisioned him to look in minimate form. To bad he won't have his space hog. Like the Starfire, but must say (in a non sexist way) her boobs are to small. Come on people, you know I'm right. The SF we all no and love has breasts much bigger that a sixteen year old.

Final assessment: I love this wave! DCD has done it again. Cool pairings, more villains and a great diversity from the DCU. I tip my hat to you sirs and madams. DST check out all the praise DCD is getting. See what all the fan response is. DCD gives the people what they (the fans) want, not what they (DCD) want. Try to follow example.

I still want the C3 Flash and Nightwing, but...yippee!! :D

OMG, Gorilla Grodd (gorillas are my favorite animal) and B:TAS Clayface!?

Now we need movie-style Hellboy and Teen Titans cartoon-style Slade, and my Ron Perlman Minimate Army can commence taking over my shelves!!

One question though, why is DCD obsessed with blue Batman!? Granted, we got a few black ones with C3, but god, if that blue doesn't make the worst Batman costumes ever.

This was an unexpected treat tonight!

On the whole, I'm delighted with this wave. Lucky enough to have a C3 Nightwing and Flash but old Nightwing does seem a little out of scale and a bit too friendly - this DCD rectifies that.

I'm also pleased to see that Flash has a proper sculpted mask like Cap and Bullseye rather than the style used for the Bat family so far. It just looks far nicer. I also hope Clayface is regular size as a 2.5 might look a little clumsy.

Ambush Bug is a crazy choice but it's great to see that you never, ever know what's going to come next due to the wide spectrum of characters being translated - regardless of the tooling needed for specific parts in order to convey a styllised representation of the subject's form. If this line continues as we hope it should then I have really high hopes of seeing a Swamp Thing and Etrigan two-pack and definitely Adam Strange and the Atom sooner rather than later. Martian Manhunter will obviously appear in wave 8....

Now, how would you do Starro?

very cool

I don't mind the different Batman variations as long as they are legitimate. This is a classic look for him, so it's ok. I wouldn't mind if they made a golden age look and a Kingdom Come look also. Hell, I would even love to have a Zebra Batman.

It's cool that they made Grodd. Now that there is a gorilla body, they can start on the many gorilla characters in DC and Marvel. Personally, I'm waiting for a Congo Bill and Congorilla two pack. Talk about obscure lol.

The only concern I have with this wave is that I don't know which Flash they are trying to go for. Being able to see his eyes through his cowl and being teamed up with a silver age looking Grodd, I would think it's Barry. But then he is wearing Wally's costume. Hopefully that will be resolved by the time it comes out.

DB316, I think you'll see many old school DC fans really excited about Ambush Bug because he's always been one of those characters (like Ma Hunkle Red Tornado) who we never thought we'd see - in any form. Ambush Bug has been at or near the top of many fans' want lists for years, but he's one of the 'wacky' Giffen era characters that seemed out of the realm of possibility for DCD to make. The fact that we're getting minimates of both Bug & Ma, is a bonus for me.

I agree that DC has really blown Marvel out of the water with their willingness to dip into the more obscure characters for their lineups. Marvel has given us Thunderbird and Firestar, whereas DC has given us at least one long shot in each wave. I really like that I have to research the characters as I buy them. I'm just saying that this wave is not as visually appealing as waves in the past. We get a slightly different Batman, as opposed to a Kingdom Come/Dark Knight Returns/etc variation. Ambush Bug, despite being obscure, is still just green with a weird head. Though I see one custom opportunity with Starfire, her torso detail looks too small, and Flash and Nightwing look kinda bland. Clayface is barely a minimate, though I can understand how they had to alter the design to make him look right. So, of the eight figures, only three interest me from a visual perspective.

Again, I'm not trying to rain on the parade here. I'm just saying from someone who hasn't followed the DC Universe, there isn't much here to draw me in. I'll still be buying them, as I am impressed with DC's overall work in the minimate medium, I'm just saying that this wave doesn't excite me like the ones in the past.

Hmm... This Batman variation is the same one that was in the Miniflyer wave along with Nightwing & Flash.

The wave is okay, but I tend to agree it seems to be 2.5" for largeness sake only

Hmm... This Batman variation is the same one that was in the Miniflyer wave along with Nightwing & Flash.

The wave is okay, but I tend to agree it seems to be 2.5" for largeness sake only

Slightly, however he is much improved and represents a historically important era for the character. This, and for those who missed the C3 (I don't happen to be one), this is an excellent opportunity to obtain a quintessential version and erase the folly that was C3.

These are in fact prime reasons for the 2.5" scale. The only character that I've really had issues with being too large is Bane. As long as the increased height and girth are indicative of the character, I'm all for it. Keep'em rolling DCD! Sit back and take notes DST.

awesome wave. Only issue is the smallness of Starfire's breasts lol.

Call me a DC idiot but This flash costume looks the same as the c3 version. How can you tell one is Barry vs Wally?

awesome wave. Only issue is the smallness of Starfire's breasts lol.

Call me a DC idiot but This flash costume looks the same as the c3 version. How can you tell one is Barry vs Wally?

The style of his belt gives it away.

take a look at Barry's here

:)

I won't be getting any complete 2-packs. Instead, I will just buy Nightwing, Flash, and Clayface separately.

Patriot

That Nightwing is significantly different. During Hush, Jim Lee decided to ditch the gauntlets on Dick's arms and legs for some reason. This 'mate represents that change.

Maybe a more appropriate Nightwing for this series would have been Dick's first costume.

I have to disagree with the largeness for largeness' sake argument, if you look at this photo of Grodd ( http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gorilla_Grodd ) you'll notice that he's about the same height as the flash, but he's also crouching under the weight fo what he's holding, so it only mkaes sense when standing up straight he'd be bigger, and Clayface, especially his animated counterpart that this mate seems based on is a behemoth, so it makes sense he'd be bigger.

Also, kudos to the DC mate fans who have not been complaining that people can now get Flash and Nightwing, I've yet to hear one complaint that they are being released for everyone to get, whereas certain Marvel mates raise a great deal of gnashing of teeth when someone simply says "I wish I had one that didn't cost 50 odd dollars." But please don't start a debate on this topic, enough has been said elsewhere.

I'm a little surprised that the Flash appears to be Wally, I thought that maybe to get around it they'd release Barry Allen in the similar suit to enable everyone to have a Flash without repeating the same C3 character, but as Nightwing is also coming out that doesn't appear to be a concern, which I think is a good thing. Honestly, I wouldn't mind them releasing a Barry Allen Flash or even a Bart Allen Flash, they're all different characters and that'd be a good way to get Flash's fairly large rogues gallery out over time.

I guess if the Flash's eyes are green, it's Wally. If they're yellow (?) it's Bart. Barry's were blue and for a time so were Wally's but only as Kid Flash. Although there was an alternate Wally as Flash with blue eyes...

Now I've got a nosebleed. Nevermind.

They may never even say which Flash it is. Just that it's Flash. The presence of Grodd with him suggests he is Silver Age Barry though. Now I want a Johnny Quick (Crime Syndicate version) and a Professor Zoom. :)

First reaction WAHOOOOO new DC Mates! And the series is alive and well. So glad to get a Barry/Wally Flash that goes MUCH better with the rest of non-C3 JLA!!!!!!!! I've been crossing my fingers for a while on that one!!

All that is left to get my core DC team complete is The Atom, Kyle Rayner, Alan Scott, Sinestro.

Also redo Martian Manhunter and Darkseid. DC Lines RULE ALL!!! Wow, I'm excited. Nightwing looks much better with the non-C3 folks as well. I love how comic book true these characters are. Clayface (cartoony but great) and Grodd have just the right amount of additional pieces to make them perfect.

Loving the news!!

-Vox

DCD does not fail to impress me yet again. If they could have asked me to choose one Titan, from all of the incarnations of the team, it would have been Starfire, no question. I'm very pleased with the look of the figure, very in keeping with the George Perez style. The bust size is, as mentioned, a little on the small sized, and I noticed that all of the paint on the front of the torso piece appears to be a little off-center, so hopefully these two issues will be limited to the prototype and be corrected with the market release. It only makes sense to package Starfire with Nightwing, and I am gratified that they did not just repackage the C3 Nightwing (which I admit I procured on eBay) because, for me anyway, this new Nightwing is different enough to still be interesting. Also for display purposes, those of us with the 2 different Nightwings can have one with the Teen Titans (whenever the rest of them get released) and one doing solo Bludhaven stuff. Also, I noticed that they are packaging Dick Grayson together with Starfire and not with the recently released Barbara Gordon Batgirl figure, or a new Oracle figure. I read into this as a Starfire/Nightwing 'shipper' and as someone who thinks that the attempt of a relationship between Dick and Barbara was a little overblown in the recent and admittedly well-done Nightwing Annual. Just an observation as to how linked the characters of Starfire and Nightwing are, and how it would make much more sense to put them back together in the comics... but I digress. As for the Flash, I'll quell the debate right now: If you want this new Flash to be Wally West, then he's Wally West; if you want him to be Barry Allen, he's Barry Allen; if you want him to be Bart Allen, for whatever reason that might be, he will be Bart Allen. The beauty of the Flash costume is that it all the incarnations are similar enough that the man inside the suit is almost incidental. In that I already have a C3 Flash, for example, to me this will be Barry Allen, so that I can have Wally, Barry, and Jay Garrick all together. But if anyone isn't so fortunate as to have found a C3 Flash on eBay, or even during the original release, then this Flash IS Wally West... beautiful, no? Gorilla Grodd pairing is both natural, and a little unexpected because of the difficulty inherant in translating simians into miniature action figure form, but I for one am impressed and pleasantly surprised. I'm very excited about Clayface, he's another one I just did not see coming, I thought for sure that Two-Face, Poison Ivy, Ra's al Ghul, even the Scarecrow or the Mad Hatter would be released before Clayface, it just occured to me that they might try and release as many human-looking batman villains before they got into the more monsterous ones... but again I am pleasantly surprised. A new Batman.... meh, it looks nice and all, but as many others have mentioned, Bats seems to be suffering from Wolverspideritis: the condition by which excessive unnecessary variations on the same theme of a single character are produce ad nausiam. But I'll still buy him just to get Clayface. After Starfire, the minimate I'm most eager to get is Lobo, words fail me to describe the depths of Lobo's awesomeness... the hook which appears to be his accessory in the prototype figure, should almost certainly be attatched to his wrist chain in the final release. And then there's Ambush Bug... I'm sure there are a number of people looking forward to his release... I do not number myself among them. Either I'll just break down and get the two pack when it comes out and just suck it up, or I'll wait a bit and see if anyone's selling Lobo alone here or on eBay, like I did with Batman (OMAC? Seriously? no thanks), and like I plan to do with Red Tornado (whom I like well enough, but not enough to be saddled with Ma Hunkel, just my opinion). So there's my stand, long-winded as it may be.

I love em! Glad to see the Flash. This is obviously Wally West. Hope we can get a Barry Allen soon.

I love the Batman, for the same reasons another poster indicated: he reflects the Neal Adams/Jim Aparo era, which was the era holding court when I started picking up comics.

Clayface looks a lot like the animated version. I wonder if this is a hold-over from C3?

Grodd is great. He looks a lot like a custom version I saw not too long ago. Grodd, along with lesser luminaries such as Ma Hunkel and Ambush Bug, proves ANY character is a possibility. Bravo!

That Nightwing is significantly different. During Hush, Jim Lee decided to ditch the gauntlets on Dick's arms and legs for some reason. This 'mate represents that change.

Maybe a more appropriate Nightwing for this series would have been Dick's first costume.

i wouldn't mind that, although i'd vastly prefer the mid-90s version he used in Knightfall/Knightsend.

knightfallnightwingve8.th.jpg

Stunned by the choices for this wave. I had to keep telling myself that these aren't fake (and I'm still doubting it!) as I scrolled thru the picks. I didn't think I could be surprised anymore by DC's choices and yet, it happened AGAIN!

All look great to me! :)

Still can't believe they made an Ambush Bug! Woohoo!