UA-100768763-1 Jump to content

Comic Book Talk

So I'm STILL "shopping around" for my second comic series to read after Watchmen. Call it the hopeless newbie strain or something, but I seriously am tempted to start out by dabbling in one of the more recent Marvel Universe crossovers. However I already know how House of M, Civil War, Secret Invasion and other recent ones end (and that would've taken the fun and excitement out of reading them in the first place) so I wanted to start out with a fresh new storyline like "the rest of the fandom." Judging by the weirdly vast scale of Dark Reign though, that probably isn't the best place for a newb to start (especially since I only really want to know what happens to Iron Man and

Clint Barton and Mockingbird

).

Then I hear word about the new Secret Invasion: Inhumans one-shot, where

Black Bolt becomes the king of the Kree

, and I think I've found a winner. I'm considering following the upcoming War Of Kings storyline, starting with either that Inhumans one-shot or X-Men Kingbreaker. It's occured to me only recently that I'm actually anxious to know how things might pan out with Vulcan and the Starjammers, so I might as well follow War Of Kings since I sorta like the Inhumans as well.

Anyways, I'm still open to suggestions. If anybody here has any good arguments as to why War Of Kings might be a supremely sucky crossover then I wouldn't mind hearing your arguments. Thoughts?

• Replies 357
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My interest in reading Marvel comics was rekindled a couple of years ago by a friend of mine who didn't realise that I was a lapsed Marvelite. This has been extremely advantageous to us both ,he buys the new stuff & I 'give him' my old stuff. Some months ago I ended up re-reading the entire 'original' Howard the Duck series which ,although not intending to do so ,was very entertaining . I then gave them to him & he absolutely loved them despite the fact that much of the parody & satire would have been lost on him bearing in mind his age & their age. In return I have been reading the Secret Invasion ,all of it, with varying degrees of enjoyment, in a matter of weeks. The biggest disappointment spawned from SI was Captain Britain which was nothing short of dire ....embarrassing. Dark Reign is next on my list & I've just begun with the 'one-shot' which although I enjoyed immensely , WTF is going on with the depiction of Namor? I know that each artist has his own interpretation of the character but Namor looks bloody awful & I had to remind myself who I was looking at as he is depicted as a specific racial stereotype which can't be unintentional. Please don't interpret that as any racist tendency I might have (which I haven't) it's just how it is. The same goes for Loki which many of you might not realise

currently embraces the form of a very hot looking woman

but in this comic it looks like time's caught up & things have gone South. Despite all that I can see this going places.

'Spider-man- One more day' which again to many of you is probably 'old hat, continues to be an absolute revelation.

It is also ironic that my Marvel-reading mate is now pestering me for the 'Watchmen' which I mentioned 'in passing' in the pub the other night. These should have been in a large comic long-box with a large 'W' on it amongst the 'others' :rolleyes: ...but weren't .....so the hunt continues. In the meantime I came across some West Coast Avengers from way back when so I'm going to tuck in to them next week .

Edited by buttheadsmate

The West Coast Avengers stuff that Byrne worked on was quite good, as I remember. But, a lot of the earlier stuff in that series seemed more pedestrian. My love of Hawkeye stems, largely, to that series and the old "Avengers Spotlight" comics from the late 80s.

To NorthRaider's post, I have said this before, but I would suggest looking at some of the older stuff. For one example, the Justice League International re-boot following the "Legends" storyline in the 1980s is quite strange as a Justice League series, and very funny. You can pick up the back issues dirt cheap, and learn about why Blue Beetle, Booster Gold, and Guy Gardner have acquired such a cult status. Also, you will learn who G'Nort is (surely you are dying to know!), as well as the Martian Manhunter's favorite snack.

Edited by karamazov80

To NorthRaider's post, I have said this before, but I would suggest looking at some of the older stuff. For one example, the Justice League International re-boot following the "Legends" storyline in the 1980s is quite strange as a Justice League series, and very funny. You can pick up the back issues dirt cheap, and learn about why Blue Beetle, Booster Gold, and Guy Gardner have acquired such a cult status. Also, you will learn who G'Nort is (surely you are dying to know!), as well as the Martian Manhunter's favorite snack.

Can most of these be found in trade paperback form? I'm only asking since I have neither the stamina nor the know-how to actually sift for back issues in comic book bins. But I'm sure back-issue hunting would be a very enlightening and gratifying experience indeed :)

Can most of these be found in trade paperback form? I'm only asking since I have neither the stamina nor the know-how to actually sift for back issues in comic book bins. But I'm sure back-issue hunting would be a very enlightening and gratifying experience indeed :)

A number of issues of that particularly series are:

http://www.amazon.com/Justice-League-Inter...7477&sr=8-3

http://www.amazon.com/Justice-League-Inter...7477&sr=8-2

http://www.amazon.com/Justice-League-Inter...7477&sr=8-1

I saw this quote as the title of a user review there, and it must have been taken from this series:

"Just once, I'd like to rush off to save the world - and have it be a gay, madcap escapade!"

Edited by karamazov80

Northraider, have you read Marvels, Kingdom Come, or Justice? All three of those are excellent miniseries (except Justice which is an excellent maximiniseries like Watchmen was.)

Not yet, but I have heard many good things about them. I even heard somewhere that one of the artists for Marvels was a Filipino (can't remember which one though).

Thanks for all the terrific suggestions guys, really appreciate all the recommendations. Better get to work on my comic book fund...

Northraider, have you read Marvels, Kingdom Come, or Justice? All three of those are excellent miniseries (except Justice which is an excellent maximiniseries like Watchmen was.)

Not yet, but I have heard many good things about them. I even heard somewhere that one of the artists for Marvels was a Filipino (can't remember which one though).

Thanks for all the terrific suggestions guys, really appreciate all the recommendations. Better get to work on my comic book fund...

The artist for all of those series is Alex Ross who was born in the USA. I think it was Ohio or something.

The artist for all of those series is Alex Ross who was born in the USA. I think it was Ohio or something.

Yikes, I must've gotten my wires crossed with Secret Invasion or something. (One of the artists there is Leinil Yu, who actually is Filipino.) Thanks for the heads-up, Trekker.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
Okay, this is going to sound very surprising, but...

I've never read any Marvel (or DC, but I like Marvel stuff more...) comics, and I wanna know which comic book should I get first?

Amazing Spider-man is pretty good or Invincible Iron Man they are 2 of the headliners so you can't really go wrong Agents of Atlas is good there has only been one issue so far so you could get in on the ground floor. Fantastic Four or Uncanny X men are also good. Deadpool is good for a laugh.

Edited by wallbreaker2.0

I've never read any Marvel (or DC, but I like Marvel stuff more...) comics, and I wanna know which comic book should I get first?

The Avengers are pretty good, it was my first comic book.

I would pick up one of the cheap, black and white "Essential" collections that you can get at the local comic shop. That way, you get the most bang for your buck, and can avoid any of Joe Queseda's nonsense. Get a Spiderman, Hulk, X-Men, Avengers, or Fantastic Four, whatever you like. The prices of new comics nowadays is a complete scam.

Yes, you win... I guess.

Now just to find some. I can't go to the comic book store for a while, my mom refuses to take me.

I just wish I didn't have to take the bus after school and pick up my little sister from school and watch her all day, or else I'd go to the store several houses down from the school. DX

That reminds me, someone on eBay's selling #1-402 of the Avengers. Guess what the bid is? Just a tad over $1,200.

>.<

Even though it's ending soon?

No it's not. Ultimate Fantastic Four and Ultimate X-Men is ending. After this all falls apart, they're coming in with a continuation of Ultimate Spider-Man, New Ultimates, and the most badass-looking comic ever: Ultimate Avengers (Written by the original Ultimates creator: Mark Millar.)

So the Ultimate Universe isn' done yet, it's just hitting it's first really major crossover.

And a LOT of them are probably going to die.