UA-100768763-1 Jump to content

X-Men ‘97

Swarm198

With the release of the first two episodes of X-Men '97 series yesterday. Are these Minimates still possibly going to be released eventually?

Edited by Scorpion

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

On 3/22/2024 at 6:13 PM, Padrino said:

This must be Sinister, since Scott and Jean's looks did not debut until the 1990's

So that gives us one slot in the Inferno set taken.

2 hours ago, Padrino said:

I’m thinking the other slot is for Goblin Queen. And the alternate look is likely Magik. 

So, Sinister, Maddy, Dark Child, Wolvie’s Dad and maybe a demon.

Goblin Queen and Darkchylde as the "new characters" is the exact type of monkey's paw curls logic that keeps me from getting excited about these box sets... I'm going to laugh so hard when the final figure is the what 900th Wolverine figure in a "new look" instead of Colosus.

This is all hypothetical. but...

I would not call Darkchylde a new character, but I WOULD call Goblin Queen a new character. We've never made Madelyn Pryor.

Regardless, the new 1980s set includes two new villains, full stop. Two heroes in new looks, one previously made (but long overdue) villain and one micro-figure.

IF Wolverine is in this set, and that's a big "if," then it would only be to support a variety of in-demand secondary characters.

And true, we've made 67 Wolverine figures. But we've also made 7 Colossus figures, in a variety of outfits. I guess it's been a while since we made one, but they're not RARE per se. 

Edited by DSTZach

1 hour ago, DSTZach said:

This is all hypothetical. but...

I would not call Darkchylde a new character, but I WOULD call Goblin Queen a new character. We've never made Madelyn Pryor.

Regardless, the new 1980s set includes two new villains (Goblin Queen and S'ym or N'astihr), full stop. Two heroes in new looks (Magik and TBA), one previously made (but long overdue) villain (Mister Sinister) and one micro-figure (Baby Nathan).

IF Wolverine is in this set, and that's a big "if," then it would only be to support a variety of in-demand secondary characters.

And true, we've made 67 Wolverine figures. But we've also made 7 Colossus figures, in a variety of outfits. I guess it's been a while since we made one, but they're not RARE per se. 

Locking in my guesses now:

-two new villains (Goblin Queen and S'ym/N'astirh)

-two heroes in new looks (Magik and possibly leather bikini Storm or a longshot would be Goblin Princess Meggan),

-one previously made (but long overdue) villain (Mister Sinister)

-one micro-figure (Baby Nathan).

I'm getting a tad confused again , is the discussion about X-Men '97 , about wave 87 or both ?

Whilst I'm at it ...do we still call newly released box sets 'Waves' ?

2 hours ago, Padrino said:

I actually thought that that was a joke but after some research ( Marvel Legends Goblin Queen release ) I realise it's not .

Minimaternity ? :blink:

15 hours ago, Padrino said:

Locking in my guesses now:

-two new villains (Goblin Queen and S'ym/N'astirh)

-two heroes in new looks (Magik and possibly leather bikini Storm or a longshot would be Goblin Princess Meggan),

-one previously made (but long overdue) villain (Mister Sinister)

Yeah, I think it’s going to be Wolverine’s Dad still.  It gets us the main players of this classic What If?  https://marvel.fandom.com/wiki/What_If...%3F_Vol_1_6?file=What_If...%3F_Vol_1_6.jpg 

16 hours ago, buttheadsmate said:

I'm getting a tad confused again , is the discussion about X-Men '97 , about wave 87 or both ?

I actually thought that that was a joke but after some research ( Marvel Legends Goblin Queen release ) I realise it's not .

Minimaternity ? :blink:

The Inferno story was DARK! Demons eating people. All the S&M gear. Maddie willingly sacrificing her own kid. It was crazy! 

I read a lot of the Inferno stuff whilst it was 'current' & I most certainly recall much of it ..... so I understand the reluctance to portray the S&M gear etc. in a toy-line but TBQH I cannot fathom why anybody would want a new-born infant as an accessory/character .   Maybe it's just me ? 

3 minutes ago, buttheadsmate said:

I read a lot of the Inferno stuff whilst it was 'current' & I most certainly recall much of it ..... so I understand the reluctance to portray the S&M gear etc. in a toy-line but TBQH I cannot fathom why anybody would want a new-born infant as an accessory/character .   Maybe it's just me ? 

It wouldn't be anything new.

obligatory hail, Ivan.

2 hours ago, buttheadsmate said:

Welllllll baby Christoper was a pretty important character for at least 5 years. He was around from Uncanny 200 til about 271 and drove a lot of story. I for one am happy to have one for my X-Factor display but know he’s not for everyone. 

21 hours ago, buttheadsmate said:

Sorry, I guess I brought up Series 87 in the '97 thread, and things kinda spiraled. The '90s X-Men are still on hold for now, although one is in the '80s set.

And I try not to call them waves or Series anywhere other than here. It's a barrier to collecting, I think, so I just call them Daredevil Deluxe Box Set or Spider-Verse Deluxe Box Set or what have you. That way every set is its own thing. 

On 2/27/2024 at 12:46 PM, DSTZach said:

No plans for new/current X-Men looks -- I think we've decided that new and fresh is not always the best way to go, in case looks turn out to be short-lived or not well-received. The next few sets are decidedly nostalgic, and the X-Men set we have planned is very 1980s. BUT it does have an obscure X-Villain in it!

I know we have had Minimates before based on the original Lee/Kirby X-Men, but the new wave format of 5-6 figure box sets would be an EXCELLENT opportunity to release a new standard set of the original X-Men, IMO.

Barring that, my interest in a new X-Men set is limited, for lack of a better word. I just feel burnt out with the sheer amount of X-Men content we've gotten over the years. Same with Spider-Man, too, to an extent. It's all the same generic stuff we've gotten endless repeats of with some small new stuff sprinkled on the side.

I get that new and fresh is risky, don't get me wrong. But at the same time, how many corners are there left to touch, especially with the '80s stuff? The period where the X-Men, and Marvel Comics in general, were at their peak.

Point I'm trying to make is that excitement is hard to generate if it's just gonna be a rehash of the same shit over and over and over again. There needs to be a balance struck between recognizable familiarity and taking risks with new figures. The new box set format, for all its drawbacks.

I mean, we'll see what y'all are cooking up with the new set and then pass final judgment, but based on your description so far, Zack, but I gotta be real... I'm not too jazzed about it. Especially considering that Minimates' releases have slowed to being almost annual.

Series 86 will be revealed later this month, and will hopefully be out by end of year. Series 85 should ship this summer. Series 84 shipped in February. 

Not bad, really. Obviously no TRU or Walgreens releases to fill the gaps, and I'm still pushing for a SDCC set every year, but I think specialty releases are back up to speed. 

If you're not psyched about Series 87 because it's only got two new villains, two heroes in new looks and one long-ago-released villain, then I don't know what to tell you. It's a pretty cool set, and it's a corner of the X-universe we haven't touched, really. When we came up with it, we listed off a ton of X-storylines we hadn't really explored, and this was one of them. 

One of the most-requested sets is our 1990s set, that is definitely a corner we've explored, albeit a long time ago. 

Series 86 is NOT X-Men, but it IS Spider-Man, which we just did. BUT it is a storyline we have not explored yet. Should be cool.

On 4/8/2024 at 5:12 PM, DSTZach said:

Series 86 will be revealed Series 86 is NOT X-Men, but it IS Spider-Man, which we just did. BUT it is a storyline we have not explored yet. Should be cool.

For the love of God, if we're getting two Spider-Man sets back-to-back (on the assumption 86 is gonna include another Peter Parker), can we at LEAST get an updated Todd McFarlane Spider-Man?

Don't get me wrong, I think the original McFarlane Spider-Man from 2007 does hold up, but it's expensive and hard to come by in this day and age. I think a new McFarlane Spidey (hell, a new Ditko Spidey as well since we haven't had one since 2008) would nicely compliment the Sonic Attack Spider-Man from Wave 76, which was very clearly a Bagley Spider-Man.

Much as I love Peter Parker as my favorite fictional character of all time, I must say that the sheer amount of variations we've gotten of him as of late are wearing me out. I think getting newer/updated 'Mates based on specific artstyles would be an excellent way of counterbalancing that. You still get to pump out variations of the same character while still holding customer interest. Sonic Attack Spider-Man is a PRIME example of that, from what I understand.

Peter Parker is not in Series 86.

I suggested a McFarlane-themed Spidey set, but I think we ended up not doing that one. You'll see another Spidey set with some cool unmade characters in another few waves (89? 90?). We're working a few waves out at this point. 

Edited by DSTZach

If you refer to the MMDB (Hail Ivan) you'll perhaps be surprised ( I was ) to see how few Peter Parkers you'll find. If you're looking for a plain, stand-alone , non-costumed, comic versions you'll find one....one!     If you're looking for Spider-Man sans cowl or partial cowl then there's a handful more (heads).

To find other Peter Parker 'heads' you'll have to trawl through the MMDB & check out the Spider-Mans with a slip-over mask  .....again there a handful more (heads).

Peter Parker is amongst my favourite fictional characters & I am actually staggered that I am actually going to say the following :

I would absolutely adore a Peter Parker in the 1967 style of John Romita* . Then I'm thinking "why the hell haven't we gotten a Harry Osborn :blink:  I'm the guy that generally says don't waste time on civilian characters.....I've changed my mind.

*I'm not flexible on this :no:

Edited by buttheadsmate
sp.