UA-100768763-1 Jump to content

Any new licenses for 2017?

MGS or God of War would be cool but please not Assassin's Creed. The McFarlane line has fizzled out, the Mega Bloks lined was cancelled and the movie was a bomb. The next game is now rumored to not even make it out in 2017. I gotta agree with others they would just warm the pegs.

• Replies 268
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Re: "Revealed"

Zach was talking about the movie licenses, which have been revealed as Dark Tower & PotC. It'll be a long while before we see the VG license.

Re: AC

I get all your points, and it could easily go the way of ME. But dunno, I think it could work a bit like Halo, and go on for a couple of years.

54 minutes ago, MiniMCMotu said:

I have to agree that Assassin's Creed is not on everyone's wish list. The movie didn't gain a lot of traction and I just can't see a niche figure line doing anything other than warming the pegs next to their mega bloks counterparts.

I tend to agree but given DST's most recent track record with selecting new films properties, (GhostbustHers, Alice Through the Looking Glass) I'd argue Assassin's Creed fits the flop pattern. :timbo:

In all fairness, in the world of licensing, if 10% of your properties really take off, it mitigates whatever you might lose on all the others in your portfolio. I'm hoping that Pirates does well and since Assassin's Creed would necessarily be a movie tie-in, a future video game could reinvigorate interest in the brand. 

Assassin's Creed would be kinda cool, although I have the same feeling I have about every new line - get invested and have it end up only going for a wave and be disappointed? Vs. waiting for it to start up and paying scalper prices for later figs. 

I agree that it seems like a potential flop property but if DST has continuous waves going then I'll try my best to keep up collecting em. The first 2 games were decent but then they tried to CoD it and pump them out as fast as possible with little story :/ kinda like the movie...

(I'm just not too big of a fan of Michael Fassbender, I know his Magneto was decent and he may have tried to carry the X-Men films but I can't help but feel negative about everything connected to them, Logan being an exception) 

Just now, RedTiger95 said:

Assassins Creed is popular with the young adult to teen gamers, so that's probably why you guys feel that way about it. I mean we have Plants vs Zombies minimates, not sure Assassins Creed is more niche than that game.

I think Kostis and I fit into this category (teen-young adult) but I guess we may not be the norm. 

20 minutes ago, The Scarlet Spider said:

Assassin's Creed would be kinda cool, although I have the same feeling I have about every new line - get invested and have it end up only going for a wave and be disappointed? Vs. waiting for it to start up and paying scalper prices for later figs. 

I agree that it seems like a potential flop property but if DST has continuous waves going then I'll try my best to keep up collecting em. The first 2 games were decent but then they tried to CoD it and pump them out as fast as possible with little story :/ kinda like the movie...

(I'm just not too big of a fan of Michael Fassbender, I know his Magneto was decent and he may have tried to carry the X-Men films but I can't help but feel negative about everything connected to them, Logan being an exception) 

95329fdf9e229b7e0d169fa5fb65ec74.jpg

Fassbender has been doing great flicks the last few years. Hunger, Shame, Steve Jobs, MacBeth, the man is one of the modern greats IMO. He's definitely one of my favourites.

7 minutes ago, RedTiger95 said:

Assassins Creed is popular with the young adult to teen gamers, so that's probably why you guys feel that way about it. I mean we have Plants vs Zombies minimates, not sure Assassins Creed is more niche than that game.

Well, teens/young adults are the backbone of the gaming community, and AC is really well-known. I get debating whether the toys would sell, but the IP itself is amongst the most well-known modern gaming brands. Hype has died down though, that's true. but that's mostly because they turned it into CoD. After Revelations, the historical innacuracies became too much, the games became too buggy, and they just didn't feel complete. 

6 minutes ago, The Scarlet Spider said:

I think Kostis and I fit into this category (teen-young adult) but I guess we may not be the norm. 

I fit into this category too. I'm not saying everyone in our age group likes it but that's who I see buying these games when I go the game stores. But it could different for different cities. My personal favorite is AC4, because I thought the character was well written and Kenway is my favorite. 

46 minutes ago, The Scarlet Spider said:

As another member of this age group, I would buy AC 'mates. My lack of any sort of console means I've never played any of the games, between the striking designs and historical figures, I think it could be a fantastic line, hopefully more Halo than ME.

And can I second the praise for Micheal Fassbender?

Well then, I'm stumped. There are a few more "evergreen" franchises I can think of, but I'm not sure they fit the clues.

1) Halo: Well, we had Halo mates until a few years ago, so I don't see them returning.

2) Gears of War: New game came out in 2016, so it's out.

3) Nintendo: They're notoriusly picky when it comes to licensing, so dunno. It could work similar to the Playstation line.

4) Call of Duty: It's a game that's released every year, so, it's out.

5) Street Fighter: V came out this year, so that's out to.

6) Tomb Raider: We already had mates based on the first game, and the sequel got released this year, so that's out too.

7) Mortal Kombat: Already confirmed to not be.

8) God of War: No release date yet, but a new game is coming.

9) Resident Evil: A new game just came out, so that's out.

10) Valve: Well, considering they're making mad cash from Steam, there's no way they'll be releasing any games soon. It could work like the Playstation line,

11) Tom Clancy's [...] : Admitedly, I've never played the games, but they're mostly millitary guys and civilians, plus, a new game hasn't come out in ages.

12) Metal Gear: Phantom Pain came out in 2015, but there is that Zombie "mini-game" (Konami admitted that it won't be a full priced MG title) coming out... some day.

There are other stuff like Castlevania, Kingdom Hearts and the like, but dunno if I'd call them evergreen or be able to imagine toys based on them. At this point, God of War & MGS seem the most possible, but dunno. I'd certainly be happy if it was just one of them.

As for the new movie license I have no clue, and as for the extension, like Trev, I'm hoping it's a CW license.

Is it a classic game series or modern series is the question.

What about the Bioshock series, those games were popular. Not sure it's evergreen now though. 

Dead Space was another but again, it hasn't had a game in a while.

Grand Theft Auto could be it, I mean it's definitely evergreen, but it never had figures made other than Kubricks I think. 

Also there's a few recent releases of Tom Clancy games. One is coming out this March, called Wildlands.

I would've said The Walking Dead game series by TellTale, but they just released Season 3.

Edited by RedTiger95

Bioshock could produce a couple of Waves, but it'd need lots of new sculpts, and they'd be mostly enemies and secondary characters. Booker, Elizabeth, Big Daddy & Little Sister are the "faces" of the franchise. The NECA figs did okay, but not really great.

Dead Space died down after 3, because it became too action-y and lost the horror audience. Apart from Isaac's suits, it doesn't have lots of characters options. It'd be cool for the Necros alone, but I don't think it's evergreen.

GTA could certainly work, but it'd be filled mostly with civilians, and these lines haven't done as well. To be fair though, GTA would be diffferent, and the acessories could really make those sets pop. I'd say this is a pretty good guess.

Oh yeah. Since Wildlands is getting released this year, that means it's out.

Eh, considering the comic line has stopped, I don't see them going after the game.

With both MK & AC being crossed off, this is getting harder and harder.

7 hours ago, DSTZach said:

It's not Assassin's Creed.

That's good news for me!  I'm still bummed it's not Mortal Kombat.  I would buy Street Fighter or Metal Gear Solid Minimates.  I don't have very high hopes for the video game reveal.

Going back to Assassin's Creed for a minute.  I just don't think it would do well if Tomb Raider didn't make it past one series and the Sony Playstation series (Uncharted, Ratchet & Clank, Jak & Daxter, Resistance) didn't make it past one series either.

I would agree with Kostis that it's most likely MGS or GoW. And I was so sure about AC...

I know everyone wants the extension to be DC-related, but could it maybe be Marvel video games?

4 minutes ago, MisterMiracle said:

Going back to Assassin's Creed for a minute.  I just don't think it would do well if Tomb Raider didn't make it past one series and the Sony Playstation series (Uncharted, Ratchet & Clank, Jak & Daxter, Resistance) didn't make it past one series either.

Didn't those lines have a lot of distribution issues?

I'm in the UK so I'm not too qualified to know for sure but surely those Tomb Raider TRU sets were scarce?  I know I struggled big time initially to secure some ......Sony stuff is still pretty scarce IMHO .....yet you're saying the hung on pegs ??  I believe you of course MM but it  surprises me.