UA-100768763-1 Jump to content

Star Wars Episode 7 cast announced!

VulcansFury

I like the what i'm calling the claymore/broadsword lightsaber.

does bring up a little niggle though we know that the energy blades of sabers stop each other like normal swords but they can cut through other material. Now the smaller energy sabers from the cross guard on the new design would stop a light saber blade but looking at the image the saber come from protruding projectors which the opposing saber blade could cut through kinda making the new design a bit useless.

Re reading that it sounds confusing so I hope ppl could follow.

My theory on that saber is that those aren't cross guards but actually exhaust ports. The blade looks longer and more unstable than a normal one. Perhaps the user has an ancient super powerful kyber crystal that needs those ports to let out some of its power.

Edited by CBMM1

My theory on that saber is that those aren't cross guards but actually exhaust ports. The blade looks longer and more unstable than a normal one. Perhaps the user has an ancient super powerful kyber crystal that needs those ports to let out some of its power.

Or it's just an ancient design before it was refined. Now that the expanded universe is kaput (including things such as KOTOR) this could be essentially a legendary Sith weapon from the time of Sith's greatest strength.

I don't know enough about SW to know what is actually cannon or not but I do think I read that the light saber used by the bad guy in the new cartoon is an unused one from one of the video games. So as I said dunno what is law an what isn't but some of the game stuff maybe.

I initially didn't think too much of the trailer, but then found myself wanting to see it again and again. I ultimately watched it about 5 or 6 times, and now think it's really well done. It sets a mood, builds suspense, gives you some cool little hints. I find myself more impressed with that teaser than I was with the entire Avengers 2 trailer. My favorite part is the beginning with the Storm Trooper guy in an anxious sweat. WTF is going on there? Must see the movie to find out! If I'm nitpicking, I thought the cross light saber thing seemed kind of pointless, but no biggie. Guy looked pretty intimidating and bad-ass that was using it. And the Falcon was actually one thing that didn't interest me too much in the trailer. Just seemed kind of predictable I guess, but it makes sense to end the trailer on a sweeping, nostalgic note of some kind. The X-Wings flying right above the water was a bit cooler to me, because I don't remember seeing them used that way. Apparently the droid reflects McQuarrie's original design of R2-D2, which is cool.

I wasn't planning on watching the trailer, but I caught part of it while I was pumping gas so I figured I might as well give it a chance. It was better than I expected it to be, but it still looks like an awkward mix of McQuarrie concept paintings and fan fiction. It might have been okay though if it hadn't been for that groan-inducing lightsaber.

• 4 months later...

I have seen all six films in the theater as they were released. A new generation of fans will now get to see these next three in the theater, as well.

The part that really gave me chills was the painted back drop of the wrecked star destroyer - one because it had the old school charm the prequels were missing and two because it gave a real sense of intensity. We've seen them shot down, sure, but to see the carrion rotting in the sun? It just makes it more real.