UA-100768763-1 Jump to content

Star Wars Episode 7 cast announced!

VulcansFury

At starwars.com

I long suspected the main 3 would return, but confirmation has made me as giddy as a little kid! JJ would have to make a concentreted effort to mess it up for this to fail. New adventures of Han, Luke, Leia and the gang set to John Williams music? I'm in Heaven!

JJ George would have to make a concentreted effort to mess it up for this to fail.

That's what I thought back in 1999...

Anyway, I'm really looking forward to this and having these three (plus Daniels as 3PO and Mayhew as Chewie) in it, will be pretty nice.

Maybe my feelings will change closer to release but right now I don't think I'll even bother seeing this in the theater. The prequels and everything since have really sapped my enthusiasm for Star Wars in general and the two Trek movies have solidified my dislike of Abrams.

How great was Richard Marquand? Or originally, Irvin Kershner? JJ is not King George. George was completely unapproachable with criticism on the prequels from his team. JJ does not have carte blanche, and can't just force something like a new Jar Jar character on us because he does not have final say. I trust Kathleen Kennedy. JJ was never a Trek fan, so how can you expect him to treat material he never cared for? He is a bigSW fan, and the team he has gives me more hope than JJ alone could ever give me.

Best part of the prequels? John Williams music. John is on board for Episode 7

Best movie in the saga? ESB. Same writer writing E7.

Best actor in the OT? Harrison Ford. Back for E7.

Totally in balls deep financially and looking to start a new franchise? Disney is not going to let this go to waste.

JJ was never my first choice. He's a far better director than Marquand. I think E7 has a strong chance of being in the top 3 SW films at least

On top of that we have Domhall Gleeson (who I really really do love in About Time and what small part he got in Harry Potter) and legends Andy Serkis and Max Von Sydow. Now that's just extraordinary. I honestly think I was more excited when those names were mentioned than when they told us about the Main 3 returning.

JJ George would have to make a concentreted effort to mess it up for this to fail.

That's what I thought back in 1999...Anyway, I'm really looking forward to this and having these three (plus Daniels as 3PO and Mayhew as Chewie) in it, will be pretty nice.

Bob, thats unfair to change the context and apply to this situation. Having George out of the directors chair is what actually gives me hope. This isn't JJ's baby, he's work for hire. George has always been a shitty director. The OT was a success despite him. The original script was crap but he was open to the changes recommended to him. His wife saved the film through editing and adding the whole countdown to destruction at the end of ANH that George never wrote. Harrison changed a lot of his own dialog. The OT had the incredible Gary Kurtz as producer, while the PT had the biggest kissass Rick "brownnose" McCallum who never told George an idea was bad.

Sorry, but when so many people involved with great films like ESB and Raiders of the Lost Ark are working on E7 (the same writer and composer!) I can't help but be hopeful.

Good, bad I go to almost every comic book movie (trash like Jonah hex excluded) so I'll definitely be seeing this. As for whether it'll be good I'm leaning on the 'yes' side. You've got Williams, the writer of the best Star Wars film to date, Serkis and one of the most iconic casts back so I have faith.

I am a bit sad for the fate of the Expanded U though, as Disney made it not canon but I can live with it.

JJ was never a Trek fan, so how can you expect him to treat material he never cared for? He is a bigSW fan, and the team he has gives me more hope than JJ alone could ever give me.

Since he's a professional I'd still expect him to make a decent movie that isn't irredeemably stupid, but that was apparently too much to ask. And what I see of most of that team is that they haven't done anything of note (or in Kasdan's case, anything at all) in years. I guess it's cool to have the cast back, but a geriatric Harrison Ford just doesn't interest me that much.

I've got a bad feeling about this...

I don't think having the original cast back is a good idea, unless they are just cameos. I also think just for giggles they should but Fisher back in the gold Bikini.

T.

I don't think having the original cast back is a good idea, unless they are just cameos. I also think just for giggles they should but Fisher back in the gold Bikini.

T.

The cups might still fit, but i reckon it's gonna need muuuuuuch longer straps this time around.

T.

I dunno Tim, just the thought of seeing Luke Skywalker... LUKE F'ING SKYWALKER... on a movie screen again is exciting. I agree they shouldn't build the movie around them, but that alone has my ticket bought.

• 6 months later...

Theory: it's more like now that the Dark Side's influence has been weakened, new people with Force powers have started to appear across the galaxy, essentially showing that the Force, once not manifesting itself in people, has begun to show itself. Therefore awakening from a time of dormancy.

Pretty much the "New Airbenders" plot of Legend of Korra basically.

• 3 weeks later...

I honestly didn't think it was the official teaser. I thought it was a fan film (with it is, technically). That opening shot with NOTHING happening was entirely too long. The following shots were random and disjointed, as if Disney said, "What do we have that we can jam into a 90-second trailer?" and this is what they had.

Granted, I was ten when the first film came out and the preview was a lot like that. I recall thinking, "Is that an ape? Cool spaceships! Is that some kind of insect robot?" My imagination was all over the place trying to make sense of the things I'd just seen.

So decades later, when I see a static shot of sand dunes against a blue sky, I can't get excited. When I see what looks like an astromech redesigned by Apple in collaboration with Jar Jar Binks, I can't get excited. When I see stuff – stormtroopers and lightsabers and the Millennium Falcon – that I've already seen before, I find myself asking, "This is it?"

I know it's just a teaser but JJ Abrams did a kick-ass

that made me tingle. This... just left me apathetic.

I honestly didn't think it was the official teaser. I thought it was a fan film (with it is, technically). That opening shot with NOTHING happening was entirely too long. The following shots were random and disjointed, as if Disney said, "What do we have that we can jam into a 90-second trailer?" and this is what they had.

Granted, I was ten when the first film came out and the preview was a lot like that. I recall thinking, "Is that an ape? Cool spaceships! Is that some kind of insect robot?" My imagination was all over the place trying to make sense of the things I'd just seen.

So decades later, when I see a static shot of sand dunes against a blue sky, I can't get excited. When I see what looks like an astromech redesigned by Apple in collaboration with Jar Jar Binks, I can't get excited. When I see stuff – stormtroopers and lightsabers and the Millennium Falcon – that I've already seen before, I find myself asking, "This is it?"

I know it's just a teaser but JJ Abrams did a kick-ass

that made me tingle. This... just left me apathetic.

I forgot that little bastard put lens flare in the Star Trek trailer! Dammit!