UA-100768763-1 Jump to content

Marvel Wave 18

Zak Katz

• Replies 525
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Okay, I just got back from my local TRU (Bloomington/Normal, IL).

They usually get their trucks on Thursdays. I am not sure if they actually got it today or what.

I got to the store about five minutes prior to openning. I was the second customer in the store behind a lady who went to the baby section as I heaed directly for the action figures.

I was sort of surprised to find Wave 18 but it had been picked over already. So apparently they get their truck earlier or something.

Anyway, I was able to get me one Wolverine/Drone, one Shield Winter Soldier/Hydra Trooper, one Cap/Falcon and two Thor/Absorbing Man. They were each $3.98 and I left two Thor/Absorbing Man packs on the peg.

I am going to try to call them later to find out when they get their truck for sure and then plan my trip for next week (weather permitting as we are in the middle of an new subzero polar bubble and it is awful.)

Every time I call to see if my store has them I get told they don't and that they've been discontinued because they are on clearance. Trying to track these down and locate them has been a big pain.

I've gotten that same response. My worst experience was the customer service rep who told me that the SKU number was wrong.

Me: (Give her a SKU number.)

Her: That's not right.

Me: ? (pause) this is the SKU number. Do you want me to read it again?

Her: Our numbers are only six numbers long.

Me: Um, are you sure? Can you ask someone else?

Her: I know my store. Are you online?

Me: ? What?

Her: One moment...

Me: (on hold for five minutes) Eventually I hang up.

Found mine yesterday at TRU, can confirm the 3.98 mentioned above. Picked up Winter Soldier (finallyyyyy)/Hydra Guy, Cap/Falcon, and Thor/Absorbing Man. My collection is pretty much complete (as in I have everyone I want) save for the upcoming Aliens wave and two Marvel pieces. Feels good, man.

Found mine yesterday at TRU, can confirm the 3.98 mentioned above. Picked up Winter Soldier (finallyyyyy)/Hydra Guy, Cap/Falcon, and Thor/Absorbing Man. My collection is pretty much complete (as in I have everyone I want) save for the upcoming Aliens wave and two Marvel pieces. Feels good, man.

Your first post and you're telling us you're finished? smile.png

Your first post and you're telling us you're finished? smile.png

For now! I've learned one does not simply *stop* with these things, I've been at it since I was fresh out of high school back in 2004 and kept at it since. There'd be lulls, but there would always be something that I'd come back for (a new property or this character or etc). But as of right now, I have all the Marvel characters I was after. I'm going to be allll over the Aliens assortment when it comes out, I just have to spend wisely because of the 'lil one I have now. I wasn't expecting a response from the big man himself, actually. Haha. I used to have an account here back in 2006 but I have no idea what the name or password was, I just remembered how friendly the community was and decided to come back.

But while I have your attention, I did want to say that I think this is easily one of the best toylines and collectibles of the past decade, the staggering amount of properties that there have been and the endless compatibility and customization options, it's like a feast for the imagination, and they've been one of the most pleasurable experiences I've ever had as a fan. It seems like just about everything I've ever fanboyed out over (Marvel, DC, Speed Racer, Terminator 2, Ghostbusters, and now Aliens) has been represented. That's quite a feat. They've brought me a lot of happiness during hard times in my life, so, thanks man. For all you guys do.

Every time I call to see if my store has them I get told they don't and that they've been discontinued because they are on clearance. Trying to track these down and locate them has been a big pain.

I've gotten that same response. My worst experience was the customer service rep who told me that the SKU number was wrong.

Me: (Give her a SKU number.)

Her: That's not right.

Me: ? (pause) this is the SKU number. Do you want me to read it again?

Her: Our numbers are only six numbers long.

Me: Um, are you sure? Can you ask someone else?

Her: I know my store. Are you online?

Me: ? What?

Her: One moment...

Me: (on hold for five minutes) Eventually I hang up.

Yeah, that's not her fault. It's the website's. Although, she might familiarize herself with our company better. What the website calls "R Web Number" is what we actually use as a SKU at the store level. The website's "sku" is absolutely useless at a store level.

As for the time on hold? The stores get busy and our primary responsibility is to the customer in front of us. Not to say we shouldn't or won't help over the phone, just that it's our last priority. If you're going to call for assistance, expect a wait and be patient. That being said,some of us are far more helpful than others. Familiarize yourself with your store's sstaff and know who to ask for to get the best return on your time =)

As a store employee, can you tell me what it means for my chances of finding these in store when the guy I spoke with today said they were discontinued and that they wouldn't receive any new shipments? Since my store hasn't even received 18 yet, will they never? Thanks.

There are a number of factors I'm unaware of that could come into play. Here's the basic breakdown:

Discontinued or "x" status means Toys R Us, as a company, is no longer ordering the item. But that doesn't mean they're not going to sell it any more. They're still going to sell through remaining stock. If your store's DC (distribution center) has zero inventory, then things get considerably more bleak, as it means there's no stock just waiting to ship out. BUT... you could ask an employee to check other stores in the district. If someone is sitting on them, you may be able to do a phone order while at your store. This involves them calling the other store, that store taking your info over the phone, and the product being shipped straight to you no charge. This only works for small items, since the company won't often eat the shipping cost on - say - a Power Wheel. Stores are hesitant to offer this solution as it takes time and not every store will agree to it; I may have no problem calling another store for a phone order, but they may decline to do it. It DOES have to be done in store so your info can be verified by an employee in person. Even if you can't manage a phone order, there's still the chance that another store or even another DC is clogged up with merch that will eventually be redistributed to stores where the product never showed or performed well.

TL;DR? You're not in a great position, but all hope is NOT yet lost.

There's still another, less likely possibility. If someone on a corporate level realizes the specifics of the situation, series 18 COULD be relisted in the stores' computers with a unique SKU and reordered as such. Least likely sitch? Sure. But not entirely impossible.

On the "phone order" note - I'm hesitant to buy items for others as my store manager is her sensitive to her employees potentially scalping, but if any of you are at a TRU with no wave 18, ask them if they can check store 8902. Last I knew we had some, and we're usually happy to do phone orders.

anyone have an extra Winter soldier/ hydra and captain/falcon?

dave. ill have an extra cap falcon soon (very soon). if you want it send me a PM and we'll work out something

ARGH!!!! No sign of them again today but I randomly found a ton of wave 14 minimates. They weren't with the few remaining minimates at the normal location. They were in a totally different isle. Strange.

On the bright side at least Falcon will arrive when Luke gets my wave 54 set. . . . on the down side I still need to find TRU Absorbing Man and Winter Solider. Now they just need to make a Sharon Carter minimate in her white outfit and I will have one of my favorite Marvel sets of heroes (Cap, Carter, Falcon and WS).

Normally I don't find it to be very difficult waiting to find TRU 'mates in-store, but I've been popping into TRU almost daily since these were first sighted, and we've still got nothing in Memphis. Granted I only plan on picking up two of the four sets, but they are two sets that I am really, really, reeeeeeeeaaaaaaaally looking forward to getting.