UA-100768763-1 Jump to content

Wave 54

Nessex

Well, you could do a new Hand Ninja that's more in keeping with Frank Miller's original design, plus Black Widow in the FM costume. Lady Bullseye's a pretty nice design as well. I think there's enough characters to do a DD wave, but you'd be better off doing a Friends and Foes set, maybe with a Frank Miller theme (DD, BW, Bullseye and Elektra).

• Replies 826
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've read a lot of DD and I always question why. Unless he's written right, he's a very boring character overall (to me) and he's not very easy to market. With the exception of the original and the Shadowlands outfits, he's worn the same look for as long as he's been a character. I suppose when you're blind it doesn't matter what you wear, but he's really in that catergory where he's only known to people if he's in the classic red costume (similar to Black Panther & Doctor Strange, who mostly can't be recognized outside of the normal costume). DD's movie (along with Elektra's spinoff) where far from expectations and his comic isn't very memorable at the moment. I'm not saying the villains he fights aren't somewhat interesting or wouldn't look spectacular in Minimate form, just that they wouldn't draw in that many people. With only so many slots in a year, I'd rather see DD get one two pack every year or two and let better and more well-known charactes fill the void he leaves.

Yeah, it's a boring day at work today.

I think I want to see more Daredevil just because his corner of the Marvel Universe is so under-represented compared to some others. I feel like one day we may very well see every significant Spider-Man villain made into a 'mate, but most other rogues have a much smaller chance, so I feel like I need to keep their name out there. It took 50 waves just to get Baron Zemo, who is one of the longest standing villains in Marvel history. I may be retired before Mister Fear gets a 'mate.

I'd absolutely love a Typhoid Mary.

4 villians, 2 heroes and an army builder.......all from one particular corner of the Marvel Universe......with one hero and 3 villians being new and the other two being redos. Villianous army builder.....One Uncanny Avenger.

Blob/Banshee
Pyro/Sunfire
Mystique/Phalanx
Destiny/Phalanx (variant)

I'd buy it.

I've read a lot of DD and I always question why. Unless he's written right, he's a very boring character overall (to me) and he's not very easy to market. With the exception of the original and the Shadowlands outfits, he's worn the same look for as long as he's been a character. I suppose when you're blind it doesn't matter what you wear, but he's really in that catergory where he's only known to people if he's in the classic red costume (similar to Black Panther & Doctor Strange, who mostly can't be recognized outside of the normal costume). DD's movie (along with Elektra's spinoff) where far from expectations and his comic isn't very memorable at the moment. I'm not saying the villains he fights aren't somewhat interesting or wouldn't look spectacular in Minimate form, just that they wouldn't draw in that many people. With only so many slots in a year, I'd rather see DD get one two pack every year or two and let better and more well-known charactes fill the void he leaves.

Umm,what? His current comic is an Eisner award winner and one of Marvel's most acclaimed modern comics.

I'd love to see some of the villains from that series like a Black Spectre agent or Ikari

2423227-spectreblackag.jpg

2988325-ikari+2.jpg

Daredevil has kind of a unique place in the Marvel publishing empire in that his book was so unremarkable for so long. Not that it was bad, mind you, but it was just kind of there, month after month. I always kind of wondered how, at a time when Marvel was restricted in the number of titles they could publish each month and many of the big guns were forced to share space, Daredevil of all characters had his own titles. I guess Stan was hoping that Spider-Man fans would gravitate to another New York-based swashbuckling loner, and I guess enough of them did, since the book kept hanging around.

Anyway, Daredevil was an unremarkable comic... until Frank Miller took it over, and suddenly it wasn't. I think it's hard to grasp, some thirty years later, how amazing it was that suddenly Daredevil was unquestionably the best comic book Marvel was publishing. But it was. And, after that, Daredevil became the place where Marvel would experiment, and the character that writers would really put through his paces. I really don't think that a wave with a Daredevil theme is a good idea, particularly if it includes a bunch of pre-Miller characters, but a FM themed wave or box set would be a really good idea.

And yeah, Pun's right-- Mark Waid's Daredevil is the best thing going right now.

oh man! if you say DD's comic isn't memorable at the moment and then say you're bored at work, it makes me think they're jugglers and balloon artists and a rave going on in the conference room! i couldn't disagree with you more about the current state of the comic. matter of fact, an upcoming issue of DD has a free digital code for a copy of said comic that i'd love to give to you so you can give it a try. it's a title that's worth a look or even a second look.

i second the vote for an Ikari 'mate.

Edited by callsign_morlock

oh man! if you say DD's comic isn't memorable at the moment and then say you're bored at work, it makes me think they're jugglers and balloon artists and a rave going on in the conference room! i couldn't disagree with you more about the current state of the comic. matter of fact, an upcoming issue of DD has a free digital code for a copy of said comic that i'd love to give to you so you can give it a try. it's a title that's worth a look or even a second look.

I work for the company that dsitributes all of Marvel's hardcovers and graphic novels. Just 10 minutes ago I passed by the lastest Waid compilation and decided not to try it. Just saying that i have access to what's out, just no desire. And regardless of how well the writing or art is right now, DDs influence on the MU in general and his gallery of villains really isn't recognizable to most people. I'd say if you asked around here people could name off tons of recognizable characters from other books that haven't been made into Minimates yet, yet if you asked for the top 10 DD characters that need Minimates you'd be hard pressed to find anyone who could come up with that without digging deep or naming a bunch of unknown character. A Frank Miller set would be awesome, but other than a small handful of characters Daredevil doesn't have much to offer. Obviously, just my opinion, but well written and received books don't naturally translate well to toy sales.

I'll do my homework, though, and read the first few arcs tonight and see if my opinion changes.

Edited by groundhog7s

Let me rephrase what I've said in different places. There are several DD characters that haven't been made yet, but would they drive sales enough to be successful? The only somewhat DD-centric wave we've gotten included Spider-Man and two updates of previously released characters. I think you could pull 3 or 4 good characters out of yb's list that I could see as Minimates, but when I see people's wishlists those are rarely the one's people are clamoring for.

And regardless of how well the writing or art is right now, DDs influence on the MU in general and his gallery of villains really isn't recognizable to most people. I'd say if you asked around here people could name off tons of recognizable characters from other books that haven't been made into Minimates yet, yet if you asked for the top 10 DD characters that need Minimates you'd be hard pressed to find anyone who could come up with that without digging deep or naming a bunch of unknown character. A Frank Miller set would be awesome, but other than a small handful of characters Daredevil doesn't have much to offer. Obviously, just my opinion, but well written and received books don't naturally translate well to toy sales.

I'll do my homework, though, and read the first few arcs tonight and see if my opinion changes.

i totally agree on your points above. very cool of you to rethink your view on the comic. that offer still stands for the free code if you're interested!

The nice thing about a Daredevil wave is that is an easy way to work in new versions of Power Man & Iron Fist, or Shang Chi, Paladin, Darkhawk....basically any of the lesser known street level characters.

I was with you until you said Darkhawk - street level? Don't get me wrong, I would love a Darkhawk mate, but I don't think he'd ever really be street level, considering he's got an alien suit of armor that he turns into using a magic amulet.

Let's have a best of the 90s wave!

Darkhawk

Sleepwalker

Deathlok

Superpro

Slapstick

I was with you until you said Darkhawk - street level? Don't get me wrong, I would love a Darkhawk mate, but I don't think he'd ever really be street level, considering he's got an alien suit of armor that he turns into using a magic amulet.

When you are captured by Arcade, taken to Antarctica and forced to fight teenagers to the death, you are street level. At best.

Edited by youbastards

Let me rephrase what I've said in different places. There are several DD characters that haven't been made yet, but would they drive sales enough to be successful? The only somewhat DD-centric wave we've gotten included Spider-Man and two updates of previously released characters. I think you could pull 3 or 4 good characters out of yb's list that I could see as Minimates, but when I see people's wishlists those are rarely the one's people are clamoring for.

I would make the same argument about a Hulk wave. *Waits to be banned by Shanester*.

Man, I'm digging all this Daredevil talk! I just want to add one thing:

Anyway, Daredevil was an unremarkable comic... until Frank Miller took it over, and suddenly it wasn't. I think it's hard to grasp, some thirty years later, how amazing it was that suddenly Daredevil was unquestionably the best comic book Marvel was publishing. But it was. And, after that, Daredevil became the place where Marvel would experiment, and the character that writers would really put through his paces.

You know, it's often overlooked, but Daredevil was always a title that was experimenting with what you could do with a costumed superhero. I mean, within the first couple of years he was in print DD revealed his identity to his love interest, something that was unheard of at the time. Not to mention that he moved to San Francisco for a few years while most heroes were staying put in NYC for a few years in the 70s. And yeah, there were some down times (the post-San Fran 70s or most of Chichester's run in the 90s for instance) but by and large, the book's been a breeding ground for cool new ideas since it began.

More to the point, I do regretfully agree that he doesn't have the rogues gallery/supporting cast to fill out a wave. That said, I would love to see Mr. Fear, The Owl, Mr. Hyde & Cobra, and most of all, Typhoid Mary before the line ends.

Also, Groundhog, be ready to be blown away by that Waid stuff. It's the best DD's been in years.

I love Daredevil as much as the next man, but I did NOT expect this many pages to be dedicated him after saying that there was a lot of fan-requested characters in Series 54. tongue.png My own fault for teasing, but I have not seen a lot of demand for DD characters here. Some, but not a lot. Maybe other fans are simply more vocal about their wants, but the Marvel wish list thread's voting does not skew DD's way.