UA-100768763-1 Jump to content

Toy Fair 2013 Minimate News

• Replies 226
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Forgot that Karma was raped, good catch, HS. As to the other... Well I did say in the strictest since of the word, rape not withstanding.

They have been very sketchy with Laura and her virginity. She worked with and for a pimp, but they never specifically stated she worked as a prostitute. Splitting hairs I know. You're probably right to err on the slutty side.

In the X-23 one shot and NYX it is explicitly stated that she was a prostitute, in the one-shot she states "she no longer has sex for money." I guess it is just in Marjorie Liu written books that she is a former prostitute.

Be nice to have some Aliens themed background dioramas Luke. . .just saying.

Series 1 in March will have 14 different designs that are related to current and past releases. I am planning a 2nd series for early summer that will be geared more towards summer and fall releases.

In the X-23 one shot and NYX it is explicitly stated that she was a prostitute, in the one-shot she states "she no longer has sex for money." I guess it is just in Marjorie Liu written books that she is a former prostitute.

Great... now I can feel worse about all the suggestive poses they put her in cause I'll be ogling an underage prostitute, not just the usual underage yet sexually repressed Marvel heroine. Like I need the guilt at my age. Didn't read either, HS, and it wasn't mentioned in her last series. I knew there was mention of it in her Alan Davis drawn X-Men debut, but was unaware of the other. Now I know, and thus half the battle is won.

Wow we are horribly off topic aren't we. How did we get here again... Luke's new dioramas... Nativity scenes... BHM... virigns... TM2... yep, all makes sense now.

Glad almost everyone likes almost everything!

Sorry we can't show Aliens yet. Square said we could show Tomb Raider, not sure if it's entirely approved or not.

Lots of stuff left to announce, and I'll unveil those exclusive sets shortly.

Oh, and Wolverine comes with Sauron again at TRU, so nobody here will be forced to buy him. I'm sure the Wolvie vs. Dinosaur set will do well with the kids.

So, I just posted this in the Invincible thread, but it really belongs here:

Okay, maybe someone (Zach?) can answer a question for me. I know ToyFair is a retailer exclusive event where toy companies come out to display products that they have, or will have if interest is there, for sale. My understanding is that big-wigs from retail stores (Target, TRU, the Wal, etc.) are there. But who else is there? Who is DST's target audience at ToyFair? We see pictures of the items they offer, but outside of TRU and LCSes, I don't see DST products. Are there LCS representatives at ToyFair? Is there ever a chance that, if an LCS is there, that they could afford to swing an entire set of something?

I am truly curious about this and don't mean anything against DST. I know they are constantly trying to get back into more big boxes, but is that all? Thought or ideas welcome.

This stemmed from talk of how LCSes would love to carry Invincible mates and me wondering how the idea gets from ToyFair to Previews, more or less.

And I love the designs of *almost* everything we've seen at ToyFair this year!

So, I just posted this in the Invincible thread, but it really belongs here:

Okay, maybe someone (Zach?) can answer a question for me. I know ToyFair is a retailer exclusive event where toy companies come out to display products that they have, or will have if interest is there, for sale. My understanding is that big-wigs from retail stores (Target, TRU, the Wal, etc.) are there. But who else is there? Who is DST's target audience at ToyFair? We see pictures of the items they offer, but outside of TRU and LCSes, I don't see DST products. Are there LCS representatives at ToyFair? Is there ever a chance that, if an LCS is there, that they could afford to swing an entire set of something?

I am truly curious about this and don't mean anything against DST. I know they are constantly trying to get back into more big boxes, but is that all? Thought or ideas welcome.

This stemmed from talk of how LCSes would love to carry Invincible mates and me wondering how the idea gets from ToyFair to Previews, more or less.

And I love the designs of *almost* everything we've seen at ToyFair this year!

I have a buddy who works at an art supply store, and he's gone for the last few years because they go to check out the Mellisa and Doug stuff. Realistically, I would think that anyone that's a toy buyer would be able to get into the show. Remember, ToyFair's not just about the collector driven stuff; in fact, that's a small part of it. M&D, for example, have BY FAR the biggest presence at the show. So no, it's not just big box retail, but anyone that carries any kind of toy or collectible. I remember Chuck telling a story about the Desperately Seeking Susan set, and how the buyer from Urban Outfitters saw them at ToyFair, loved them, and put in a big order.

As to the virgin stuff in the Marvel Universe... remember who is the main architect of the MU? BENDIS. All he does is sit around all day and figure out who's f***ked who. That's how we got the Wasp having an affair with Hawkeye and driving the Scarlet Witch insane and ten years of wonderful, WONDERFUL comics.ermm.gif Just remember: in the Marvel Bendisverse, if you think they might've done it, they probably have.rolleyes.gif There's no virgins any more; Tigra's around to make sure of that.

That's how we got the Wasp having an affair with Hawkeye.

That one you actually can't blame Bendis for, that's Chuck "why is this man still working?" Austen's fault. You guys know I hated Disassembled, Hay-Ted-It!! But it was still better than Austen's run and his stated plans for the book.

Aaaaand Tigra's been a bad, bad kitty since long before Bendis.

Not defending the man, but he has enough crimes he actually committed that we don't need to blame him for others just to hate him. Let's take his preoccupation with attacking woman in the shower, for instance...

Glad almost everyone likes almost everything!

Sorry we can't show Aliens yet. Square said we could show Tomb Raider, not sure if it's entirely approved or not.

Lots of stuff left to announce, and I'll unveil those exclusive sets shortly.Oh, and Wolverine comes with Sauron again at TRU, so nobody here will be forced to buy him. I'm sure the Wolvie vs. Dinosaur set will do well with the kids.

Psh, forget the kids I'm buying multiples of that wolverine, best representation yet! Also can't wait for that wolverine through the ages box set, I hope that is still in the works.

Okay, maybe someone (Zach?) can answer a question for me. I know ToyFair is a retailer exclusive event where toy companies come out to display products that they have, or will have if interest is there, for sale. My understanding is that big-wigs from retail stores (Target, TRU, the Wal, etc.) are there. But who else is there? Who is DST's target audience at ToyFair?

The press is there. Last year I think Zach said that was the reason they didn't allow pics to be posted until Monday, to be fair to the press/interviews that were all scheduled for that day.

Edited by battlecat

I guess, if I have a complaint about TRU wave 16, and the Marvel Now line up in general is that there's only one villain. Sure, you can make an arguement about Spidey, Emma, or Piotr as depicted being "the bad guys" in their stories, but it's not going to stick.

>sigh<

I guess, if I have a complaint about TRU wave 16, and the Marvel Now line up in general is that there's only one villain. Sure, you can make an arguement about Spidey, Emma, or Piotr as depicted being "the bad guys" in their stories, but it's not going to stick.

>sigh<

I remain optomistic that someday we'll get a "Bring On The Bad Guys" all-villains wave.

>sigh<

For the most part Emma is always a grey area. Her team actions may be heroic but she could easily be seen as a villan-esque character.

I love this look for her. Swapping heads and hairpieces with Modern Emma.

Edited by Twisted Two-Face

Id be up for this even if it had re-hashes in it....not trying to make this a speculation thread but id love:

Carnage/Toad

Abomination/Ultron

Mad Thinker/Wendigo

Awesome Android/Wendigo

I think that covers a wide range of characters, as well as some popular ones to help the wave sell, reboots that are highly requested, and atleast 4 new characters

>sigh<

For the most part Emma is always a grey area. Her team actions may be heroic but she could easily be seen as a villan-esque character.

I love this look for her. Swapping heads and hairpieces with Modern Emma.

In fairness, she's been working pretty hard to redeem herself for a loooooong time. She's been affiliated with the x-men since 1994. That's almost 20 years of trying to do the right thing. She may come across as a b!tch, and she may be a bit more blunt, and cold than others. And i'll admit, she is still a bit morally ambiguous at times, but i think she's pretty solidly a 'good guy' now.

When you think about it, is anything she has done in the last 20 years any more questionable than the stuff Wolverine has done?

Undeadpool: That wave would be awesome.

Edited by Nessex

Emma frost = good guy. We did get that villians box set a few years back, maybe we're due for another one, I'd like to see a bulked up apocalypse and then a bunch of obscure villians for you guys.