UA-100768763-1 Jump to content

Completing a Minimate collection ,10 years on,is it possible?

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yeah. If an old timer stepped out and someone had the big bucks to snatch it up, or if your just hunt and pecked. Even promos, just shy of G/S Spidey I'd say are feasible. But not counting things like the Target Spidey wave, or wave 15. Dividing it up into sublines makes it much more realistic. (BSG, DC, GB) but by far the toughest nut to crack would be Marvel. But yeah, it's doable. Might even be fun having to hunt the stuff down rather than just buying it up en masse for a change.

What level of completionism are we talking?

Is this a Marvel collection, or all things minimate? 2", 3" or both?

If we mean EVERYTHING, then there are going to be some VERY expensive purchases. Gold & Silver Spideys are hard to come by. A lot of the 3" stuff doesn't come up on eBay that often either.

Goth Girl's not often there, either.

And - are we collecting Language variants? Spanish Manhunter/Javelin sets might fetch a high price too.

I think it *could* be done.... but not by someone on my budget. LOL

Edited by Nessex

Hard to say. I think it's possible minus "daft stuff", But almost prohibitively difficult. Doubly so if they don't avail themselves of membership on this board. Trades notwithstanding, there's a lot of knowlege here that I could not imagine embarking on such a plan without.

Definitely possible. But depending on how you did it, it could take a lot of time and money. Try to buy everything through eBay and you could be waiting a while for certain Minimates to show.

I wouldn't be surprised that if someone used the board for trades and sales, they could track down a near-complete collection pretty quickly

Realistically speaking I would say yes, impossible. For an average person an on average budget it would take forever to get them. Best bet would be to start buying large lots on eBay and reselling the duplicates to recoup some costs. And then for the more hard to find ones would take a lot of patience If there was a budget and trying to get them at an affordable price. However if one is really into minimates it could be half the fun, the hunt.

That's somewhat what I like. And personally I'm more into the older mates anyways, the original Charactors. Not a huge fan of things like a more recent Thing and spiderman who are on there 52nd outfit variation.

New mates like the Max sets, walking dead, battle beasts, etc. really give me a good boost and excitement over minimates old and new

I really think DST is doing good things. One of my biggest minimate passions is the promo's. they are very fun to track down. And I am always finding new ones that aren't talked about very much to try and find. Also learning the history on how some of the promo's came to be is also interesting. To me at least.

Edited by Ninja Mate

I'll say now that it's possible and if anyone reading this has the money to do so, I have a loose collection that I'd actually be willing to sell to prove it.

I've often wondered if i could get a realistic sum of money if I would sell all of my collection. Thinking about it again, I realize i would for the right price. Since I can't display anything loose right now, the big part of collecting these is the hunt and I wouldn't mind starting all over again and being more picky.

Yep. If you're not a promo-junkie. I've seen rarer production mates sold in lots on ebay from time to time. If one is patient enough I think it's do-able.

Assume you pick them up here & there, there's no time limit. As long as you keep up to date on current releases then pick up a few older ones here and there budget-depending, it's only a matter of time. People have been doing this for decades with Star Wars, Hot Wheels, Pez, etc.

I've been collecting since the start and I still don't have a complete collection. Curse you gold Spidey!!!

To be honest, the new Minimates are leagues above the old stuff. If I was getting started now, I'd just get new versions of the old stuff. Old Kingpin is lame, long live new Kingpin. (Although the cigar hand is still damn sweet).

I think a complete collection doesn't include every single rehash of Captain America, etc. Get your favorite version and move on. That's my approach to the 25th Annv GIJoes, I don't need 400 versions of Duke.

Honestly, yes. If you were like a Billionaire's kid with tons of money it could take you 1 year w/ ebay and everything. If you're an average Joe than that'll take time.

You know I've always wondered wouldn't DST keep at least 1 pack of every 'mate they ever did and keep in storage as an archive? If thats true then its already been done.

I think anything can be done with patience. You don't need a bottomless budget if you just take your time and wait out a good deal. A lot of the older Minimates can be found fairly easily and even though there are several tough to find "key" figures, I think the hunt is one of the fun parts of building a collection. I really feel like I will eventually find the few figures I lack, without spending my kids college fund, just by being patient.

Plus, this place really helps. The figure I thought I was going to have the hardest time with found its way into my collection with help from a fellow Multiverse member. Shanesbestmate?

Oddly enough I've also wondered whether DST keeps at least one pack of every 'mate, my inspired guess is that they don't .

Regards ebay I've trawled ebay solidly for 6 years for one item that has never shown .

I'd love to hear what it is, but I'll understand if you want to keep it secret! I'd guess it's a promo or a prototype.