UA-100768763-1 Jump to content

Completing a Minimate collection ,10 years on,is it possible?

In the ebay auction's 'shipping' details ,specify - US & give a US zipcode,,,,any one will do ......& you''ll get to see more stuff thumbsup.gif

Thanks for the tip Rob! As I walk off with my tail between my legs, I guess my point still remains. I owe a lot, to a few, and their help is almost (Rainmansmate's maths aside) incalculable.

I should have said T2 mates....they're still hard to find right....right?!

and a few more for ya!

Lovely photos. I'm not really one for promos, and I have generally given away those that I received, but your photos show how fantastic a promo collection can be. I'm still glad I never opened that can of worms :) I'm in over my head as it is!

Forbidden Planet Santa Skrull

A what?! I clearly missed the boat on that one.

Edit: edited due to an iPhone snafu.

Edited by UK Collector

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Luke & Ninja, lovely pictures thumbsup.gif I'm still not seeing that SDCC 2003 label though no.gif

Forbidden Planet's 'Limited Edition's' ,Santa Skrulls & Luke's 'Frankenmates' are beautiful promotional customs .

ill post tonight.

I'll give you my address thumbsup.gif

lol...I see what you did there.

I guess it raises the issue of if you count those (and by extension the Bombmate, MoTM mate et al) as part of a complete collection

The mass produced customs are a tricky one. Id say no they're not needed for a complete collection or all youd need to include all customs. However some have a very blurry line, the bomb mates were approved by aa and they even supplied the minimates... but of course om biased

T.

I have my LTS custom promo and my LE Skrull in with my promos. Along with my Bomber-Mate and my MOTM Minis. I wouldn't count them as essential to a promo collection, but they are priceless to me.

I'm a little late to the conversation, but this is really interesting to me. All I can speak about as far as first hand knowledge goes is making a run at completing a Marvel Minimates collection. I'm just about there after almost a year and a half. I read and researched and watched ebay like it was my job for about 6 months while trying to put together an idea of what older figures would roughly cost. I wanted to have an idea of what was a ridiculous price for any given figure and what was a price that I should immediately jump on if I saw a good BIN.

After that, it was all a matter of having a list of what I wanted and attacking certain areas of it. Instead of looking at it as a whole, I made a list of 20-30 figures that were always hard to find or more expensive and while working on that, I would also actively search out box sets for a while. Then once I had knocked that list down to just a couple of rare sets, I moved on to TRU sets, then exclusives, early sets, etc... That divide and conquer method made it much easier for me when looking at the enormous mass of Marvel releases. Especially when I was almost a decade late to party.

But today, after a ton of ebay scouring, some DEEEEEEEP Google searches, (I'm talking 30+ pages deep in the results, ha), lots of purchases/almost purchases from smaller online toy sites, (many of which were woefully out of date as far as in stock product was concerned), and last but definitely not least the overwhelming amount of help I've received from the people nice enough to trade and sell to me here, (of which there was one sale and a trade that I couldn't be more grateful for), I'm down to one Marvel set before I'm complete. Although I will say that I'm not including the promo Spideys or the MAX statues as part of what I consider to be a complete collection. The promos are pretty incredible as collection pieces, but they aren't really based in the comics. For me, that makes it a hard sell at half a grand or so for a Gold Spidey. The statues look amazing but between how fragile they are and the fact that they aren't articulated, I didn't really have a big interest in them.

So while if does take some work, I think it would be possible to have a complete collection. Although you need a lot of luck and the help of some great people to make it happen. Especially with the promos. I feel like I know a decent amount about them even though I've never gone after any of them. It amazes me how hard it seems to be to get a complete collections of those.

I started collecting in the beginning of 2012. I only collect Marvel and I'm currently at just over 200. I don't really collect the older stuff, with the exception of a select few. I consider the start of the "modern minimate style" the wave that started putting the control art on the boxes. So everything from about wave 20 and on is on my checklist. I also don't buy movie stuff or Ultimate stuff, personal preference. That said I started buying tons of stuff from Amazon with free super saver shipping. Then when I got here people have helped me out with older stuff. My TRU is pretty good about getting new stuff so I've picked up new exclusives as they come out and I keep an eye out for sales. As my collection got bigger, I started buying large lots off eBay and keeping the ones I need while selling off the duplicates. There have been times where I have actually gotten paid to get new mates with this method. So I'm about halfway to where I need to be after a year of collecting. There's some stuff out there that I know will be difficult to get this late in the game (Champions, Angel/Warpath, Wave 29) but patience is key.

It is possible, it's long and you have to be patient. For me the toughtest figures to find are the first minimate 3'' at a normal price when they are available. The Music 'mates don't pass often on ebay. And a few marvel TRU like Angel & Warpath, Cosmic Silver Surfer.