UA-100768763-1 Jump to content

Completing a Minimate collection ,10 years on,is it possible?

Oddly enough I've also wondered whether DST keeps at least one pack of every 'mate, my inspired guess is that they don't .

Regards ebay I've trawled ebay solidly for 6 years for one item that has never shown .

I'd love to hear what it is, but I'll understand if you want to keep it secret! I'd guess it's a promo or a prototype.

San Diego 2003 Yellow blank sealed.

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Interesting topic - I've sometimes wondered myself how easy it would be starting from scratch again and also which ones I might not bother with second time around. I reckon it would be hard work getting them all again but I don't think it would take anything like the 10 years it's taken so far - just a lot more money...

I...actually have one... confused2.gif

You lucky son of a spot.

P.S. Would Zach care to answer my Archive theory.

Oddly enough I've also wondered whether DST keeps at least one pack of every 'mate, my inspired guess is that they don't .

They Don't... Zach had to do some fancy footwork to put together the 10th anniversary exhibit they have.

As for a complete collection... nothing is impossible, loose is more likely than MIB but there are a lot of oddities/rarities out there.

I'm not even sure we have a definitive list that is the complete collection.

T.

at my forthcoming 10th anniversary of Marvel Minimates museum show I am hoping to have a complete to current(as of Octoberish) display of Marvel minimates...just need a couple of things a foolishly sold a few years ago...I have a few prototypes and test shots not so much in the package variants though

Jeff of the Miniacs

To answer the question, yes.

I got into Minimates with the Deadpool wave. The wave contained my two favorite Marvel characters, Deadpool and Gambit, so I picked up both sets and was hooked. I had been an ML collector (and still am), and the completionist kicked in.

I found a lot on eBay around late 2009 that contained basically every Marvel release (short of gold Spidey, did have blue suit Xavier), went for $1,280 with shipping. eBay bucks got me $80 back, and I did a cashback promo through Bing (I think it was Bing) for 10% back, making it $1,080.

I'm a character completionist, not a figure completionist, so I sold off movie figures, rare variants and character duplicates I didn't care about. I kept well over half of the figures, and after selling what I wanted to move and made a profit on it. So I got around 200-300 figures, and essentially was paid a few hundred for that.

at my forthcoming 10th anniversary of Marvel Minimates museum show I am hoping to have a complete to current(as of Octoberish) display of Marvel minimates...just need a couple of things a foolishly sold a few years ago...I have a few prototypes and test shots not so much in the package variants though

Jeff of the Miniacs

Packaging variants rolleyes.gif. Recently, at the last moment , I backed off of couple BIN ebay C3 sets which had French packaging. Ivan doesn't list 'French packaging' so they can't actually exist wink.png I decided that apart from he & I nobody would actually miss them so I didn't buy them ......some weeks I have to buy food .

I still regret it & should have done the right thing & go hungry tongue.png

Anybody else notice the Spanish C3 sets currently on ebay ? http://www.ebay.com/itm/DC-C3-Minimates-INCREDIBLE-LOT-including-Mini-Javelin-with-Martian-Manhunter-/321069853631?pt=US_Action_Figures&hash=item4ac1412bbf

Regards ebay I've trawled ebay solidly for 6 years for one item that has never shown .

I'd love to hear what it is, but I'll understand if you want to keep it secret! I'd guess it's a promo or a prototype.

Like this?

I have related "completionist" questions:

1. Do you need to have every vehicle to have a complete collection?

2. Do the Maximates count as part of a complete collection?

3. Do the face variants like the Hulk from the animated Avengers 2 movie count?

4. Do you need a bagged Dave's School Batman?

No right or wrong answer but interesting...

post-5-0-11388100-1360476313_thumb.jpg

Honestly, without this place i think it would be impossible. If you were relying on eBay, amazon and the like youd be waiting a looooong time to get a complete collection. There are things that very rarely if ever turn up on there.

It might take you another 10 years to catch up!

Like this?

I have related "completionist" questions:

1. Do you need to have every vehicle to have a complete collection?

2. Do the Maximates count as part of a complete collection?

3. Do the face variants like the Hulk from the animated Avengers 2 movie count?

4. Do you need a bagged Dave's School Batman?

No right or wrong answer but interesting...

Yelo blank .....& I love pictures like that....I have several 2003 Yellow blanks but not the SDCC version.Ironically Ivan shows 2 of the 3,2003 blanks, & he's missing the Toy Fair version. In reality I'm 'missing a label on a bag' which really doesn't keep me from sleeping at nights. Please also be very aware that I am actively mocking myself quite heavily in this thread thumbsup.gif

Questions 1-4 ? To answer that I need to be honest to my own (historic ?) traits & say that they are (were?) all essential to my collections (in the past) ?

Regards my title thread, Questions 1-4 .....all of those items that you mention are relatively easy to secure, an unbagged 'Dave School' ,an unpackaged (2006 imprinted) DVD Hulk & the vehicles could be cheaply & easily sourced . The Max statues have got a bit expensive & when they get displayed..... they break.... so getting those 2 could be a problem . Would I miss these items ? I'd miss the Max guys but not the others although I do have a passion for most of the C3 vehicles.

BTW I'm not setting the bar I'm just very very interested in what people think .

Honestly, without this place i think it would be impossible. If you were relying on eBay, amazon and the like youd be waiting a looooong time to get a complete collection. There are things that very rarely if ever turn up on there.

It might take you another 10 years to catch up!

Without this place ? No chance.

I started collecting mates about 6 years ago now, and went only for Marvel. My first ever pack was Ben Reilly and Black Cat, followed by Iceman and Firestar, which came in a lot including Mystique/Rogue and another couple of 2 packs I can't remember.

I foolishly assumed that these things would be sold everywhere (like Megabloks or similar). I imagined going to conventions and filling my pockets with them. It was only when I went to a UK con that summer and saw none that I decided to research them.

The MMDB (hail Ivan!) showed me the light, and luckily I was able to obtain most early stuff fairly cheaply through eBay. It helped that it was $2 to the £ back then!

Since then my collection has grown. I have picked up the odd Rocky and Street Fighter set here and there, but always stuck to Marvel religiously.

Some phenomenal people both here in the UK, and Stateside have helped me keep my collection going, not least during the Ghostbusters days (movie and RGB). They are the main gem of my collection, and I wouldn't have them if it weren't for this place.

I'm no fool (shhh in the back) and I would sell them for a silly amount of money, but my point is that it would have to be for silly money. Try and find a complete set of Ghostbusters mates online...it can't be done, regardless of your budget, let alone one as lovingly stored and looked after as my own.

That's just one series as an example, but I can give you many where I simply wouldn't have a set/wave/pack if it weren't for the generosity of people on here. I know sometimes I'm a cheeky and odd bugger when it comes to requests, but it is always massively appreciated, and if I ever meet any of you in person the beers will be on me!

Also; it's about time someone a lot more talented than I made a 'Hail Ivan' emoticon.

Try and find a complete set of Ghostbusters mates online...it can't be done, regardless of your budget, let alone one as lovingly stored and looked after as my own..

I just looked at eBay and amazon and it looks like they are all available.

This auction covers the two packs:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Complete-Ghostbusters-Minimates-Collection-Lot-TRG-Stay-Puft-Plush-SDCC-Matty-/121060419112

Amazon has all the four packs but one which is on ebay. The two exclusive 2 packs are available on ebay and amazon.

And both promos are on ebay. Did I miss anything?

So, given the funds I could've put together a set in about 10 minutes.

Try and find a complete set of Ghostbusters mates online...it can't be done, regardless of your budget, let alone one as lovingly stored and looked after as my own..

So, given the funds I could've put together a set in about 10 minutes.

I guess in this world you could buy just about anything in about 10 minutes .. 5 politicians ?

Pouring gasoline (petrol ) on a bonfire ......elmaux's fire in particular ...... if you were to buy that particular GB lot at an average of $6 (approx. ?) per minimate then the 1500 'listed' (MMDB) minimates would perhaps average out at a cost of $9000 (1500 x $6). Would you pay $9000 for a basic/complete minimate set?

I don't particularly feel that GB Minimates were that rare 'in the day' & the real rarities in that line aren't generally acknowledged ......oooooh 'ark at me!

You made me go see what 2003 blanks I lacked. They are:

Wizard World 2003 Blue Blank Bagged

SDCC 2003 Green Blank Bagged

SDCC 2003 Yellow Blank Bagged

SDCC 2003 Blue Blank Bagged

2013-02-10215657_zps7d621f7d.jpg