UA-100768763-1 Jump to content

C2E2 2013

boyd

• Replies 338
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Re: No Exclusives

There's been alot of that going around at Chicago cons for the last ~5 years... ever since Wizard World fell under new management. And I don't mean from Diamond, I mean from... anyone.

Frankly it... really really sucks.

Being a native of this city, my interest in cons has been slowly dying a little bit more each year for this and many other assorted reasons. Seems to be less and less reason to attend each year. I used to be a fairly die-hard 4-day ticket buyer, but the last 2 years I've cut back to 1.

Wizard World/Chicago Comicon is a sorry shadow of what it once was.

C2E2 seems to have its heart in the right place, trying to fill the void and be what the other con used to be, but still falls short in many areas, as it still tries to find its footing. (Exclusives being one of a hundred small examples).

But I've complained about this here before, and if I don't stop now I'm gonna go off on a rant no one cares to read anyway. :P

lol...

• 3 weeks later...

C2E2 schedule has been announced. And Saturday, April 27 from 12:15 to 1:15, it's "Ten Years of Marvel Minimates! 50 Series of Awesomeness!" Diamond panel:

"Celebrating the tenth anniversary of the Marvel Minimates line, some of the team behind the popular mini-figure brand are here to talk about their plans for Iron Man 3, The Wolverine, Thor: The Dark World and the fan-choice Series 50! Diamond Select Toys Director Chuck Terceira and Marketing Supervisor Zach Oat will also share info about the other Minimates lines, including Tomb Raider, The Walking Dead and Battle Beasts, as well as submit to a Q&A session and debut the next stop-motion animated Battle Beasts episode! Plus, there'll be a Minimates prize drawing at the end of the panel!"

GB, I agree.

The last Chicago exclusive I remember was the first C2E2, and it was Minimates (Stark Expo Tony & Natasha).

Everything (not just toys) in this country is all about New York & L.A. (or San Diego, in terms of conventions), and Chicago gets the shaft. Makes me sad.

Yikes, this show looks kinda boring. I'd love to see the Minimates panel, but hardly anything else. Artists alley is desolate. There were more artists at Wizard New Orleans...

• 2 weeks later...

Boo. We'll miss you, Dinobot.

And C2E2 is not just a smaller show than SDCC and NYCC, it's not a good show for sales. We did a Femme Fatales exclusive last year that didn't sell well at all, and we did a VERY limited run of it. It is literally the smallest run of anything we can do. I think that was the last huzzah.

But we will have our company store, which will not only stock past exclusives, it will have a wide array of Minimates from the past couple of years. Bring your Want List.

• 2 weeks later...

I got my librarian $10 ticket! :D And my $62 a night hotel room. :yes: I am C2E2 bound, baby! And that savings translates to Minimate sales :thumbsup:

@Zach - do you think you will have the IM3 wave for sale at the booth? And do you guys ever have TRU or other retailer exclusives too?

This is my first major con in over a decade. I cannot wait!

The DST con booth is usually a great place to get variant sets. Zach, do you know if you guys will be doing Build-A-Mate this year?

That is the plan. Hopefully, the plan will not change.

I got my librarian $10 ticket! biggrin.png And my $62 a night hotel room. yes.gif I am C2E2 bound, baby! And that savings translates to Minimate sales thumbsup.gif

@Zach - do you think you will have the IM3 wave for sale at the booth? And do you guys ever have TRU or other retailer exclusives too?

This is my first major con in over a decade. I cannot wait!

We sometimes have old TRU figures and vehicles, yes. IM3 we have packaged samples, and they should be out before the movie, but not sure of exact date, or whether we'll bring any.

my $62 a night hotel room. yes.gif

WHERE!?

I was going to spend my work bonus on premium hotel rooms for all three conventions I'd planned on going to this year, and instead, my "new" car required repairs the day after I bought it ("As Is"), which took up the entire amount and then some, so now I won't be able to even crash in someone else's room for even ONE of the cons. :(

I could absolutely handle $62 a night.

I booked online at the Oakbrook Terrace La Quinta. I have AAA, which took it from $69 to $62. The hotel is about 30 minutes from the convention center, according to Google Maps. Parking is supposed to be $20 per day, which is about the same as a 3-day bus pass for Chicago.

I figured with driving and parking, if I buy stuff, I can load it in the van, or keep cookies, beverage and other treats in the van to keep costs down.

I could even handle $69 a night (*snickers* Giggity!).

Thankfully, one of my friends came through in a pinch. Two nights, host hotel, $116 total. I won't be able to go down Thursday night, but it's still pretty nice, considering.

And I hope parking is only $20 a day. The first year, I got rides from friends back and forth, and remember it being closer to $30. $60's a lot nicer than $90.

For what its worth, it looks like I will be at the show Saturday. I will have two nephews (and maybe my dear Mother) in tow, but I'll be there.