UA-100768763-1 Jump to content

Disney buys Lucasfilm, starts planning Star Wars Episode 7

luke314pi

Another thought: Lucas was too stubborn to release the original version of the OT on blu-ray. Disney likes money. Seems like an easy way to cash in right there.

According to Bleeding Cool this deal doesn't include distribution rights for the OT or the prequels, they're still under Fox, who do whatever Lucas wants.

They spent $4 billion and didn't get the rights to the movies? Madness.

Just the film distribution rights, they have the intellectual rights and everything hat comes with the properties. Fox still holds the home video and TV distribution rights. Which at this point have been pretty well tapped out beyond maybe releasing the OT on Bluray...

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This is quite possibly the worst idea in a long, sorted history of bad ideas. This is the thought that bad ideas get when they have nightmares.

What are you talking about? What is a bad idea?

I've never really been into Star Wars except for the Ewoks as a little kid so this doesn't excite me much. Intriguing, though. But I am only looking forward to Marvel churning out Star Wars themed variant covers like they did with Tron. I probably won't buy them but I would like to see what they put out. Deadpool fighting Boba Fett or Ewoks! So will Star Wars Clone Wars get pulled from Cartoon Network and go to Disney XD to join the Marvel block?

A lucasless movie does sound interesting but I hope they hire a good director/writers(s)/producers otherwise this'll end up like Shymalama's adaption of Avatar the Last Airbender. The prospect of a Star Wars Minimates line is interesting.

I honestly don’t care, it might be nice if the new movies are done by someone who LOVES Star Wars and has a great idea for more Star Wars movies (like how Disney like Jason Siegel make a Muppets movie that was pretty good because he loves Muppets and wanted to make a fun movie about them) but even if they’re terrible will it somehow ruin Star Wars more then the new trilogy and that awful 3D Clone Wars cartoon?

No, the original 3 movies will always exist and can be their own special happy thing, and Disney can do whatever the f**k else it wants and I don’t care, have fun Disney!

I do worry about stuff like Robot Chicken Star Wars/Star Wars Detours since Disney doesn’t really have a sense of humor about itself and I doubt would officially sanction more similar spoofs, but eh, it’s not like we needed MORE Robot Chicken Star Wars anyway so even that’s okay.

So basically, there’s 3 new Star Wars and they might be bad... there were 3 new Star Wars 13 years ago that ended up being bad too so same day, different crap.

No, the original 3 movies will always exist and can be their own special happy thing

This is true. . .so long as you own a VHS player, and a tape from the mid-90s or earlier. Damn you, Lucaaaaaaaas!!!!!!

I'm on the fence until I see some product. My big fear is Disney stuff the new movies with even more kidcentric characters and CGI aliens then the last lot just to shift merchandise. This could make Jar-Jar look good after Disney has had its way for a few movies.

Just look at what Disney did to the Superhero cartoons it got hold of.

My big wonder is as someone pointed out... How will they do Episodes 7, 8, and 9? All the actors are old big time. Are they going to recast them? Are they going to do a major timeskip ahead to explain things, and if so...will they use stuff done in the Expanded Universe novels that all take place after Episode 6? You know... Han and Leia's kids, Mara Jade? Clone Emperor? Etc, etc, etc....

No, the original 3 movies will always exist and can be their own special happy thing

This is true. . .so long as you own a VHS player, and a tape from the mid-90s or earlier. Damn you, Lucaaaaaaaas!!!!!!

the special editions are still the same basic story* so if you can’t enjoy the movies on Blu-Ray because of whatever annoying thing George added now... well, I’m sorry, but your Star Wars is dead and there’s NOTHING Disney can do to save it OR ruin it further.

If you can grit your teeth through the annoying shit (and I’m not saying there isn’t A LOT of annoying shit), even on Blu-Ray the original trilogy is STILL the same movies you loved at its core and the ‘old new trilogy’ couldn’t kill it, and the new new trilogy won’t either.

(*for now, I’m sure we’re two motion capture technologies away from him changing major story arcs with cgi and not just little annoying things like if Han’s a murderer, Luke screams like a bitch, Vader says NO! a lot like a bitch, or a new Ghost just stands there... honestly we’re probably one SE from Hayden Christiansan dying his hair blonde and re-recording all of Luke’s scenes since it makes no sense Anakin looks nothing like his son!)

This is quite possibly the worst idea in a long, sorted history of bad ideas. This is the thought that bad ideas get when they have nightmares.

What are you talking about? What is a bad idea?

This is the part that scares me.

Under the deal, Disney will acquire ownership of Lucasfilm, a leader in entertainment, innovation and technology, including its massively popular and “evergreen” Star Wars franchise and its operating businesses in live action film production, consumer products, animation, visual effects, and audio post production. Disney will also acquire the substantial portfolio of cutting-edge entertainment technologies that have kept audiences enthralled for many years. Lucasfilm, headquartered in San Francisco, operates under the names Lucasfilm Ltd., LucasArts, Industrial Light & Magic, and Skywalker Sound, and the present intent is for Lucasfilm employees to remain in their current locations.

ILM used to work for everyone as an uninterested third party. Now that Disney owns them lock stock and barrel, they have a vested interest in making Disney money, which may mean not working for other studios. Disney has Pixar and ILM, arguably the two most powerful movie computer engines on the planet. They're one WETA away from a stacked deck and full monopoly.

I hate to go somewhat off topic, but let's not forget in all the fervor about Star Wars that they also now own Indiana Jones.

And frankly I'm just as happy, if not more happy, about that. Indiana Jones has great stories left to do if we have Lucas go away. I'm looking for an announcement of Indiana Jones 5 or even a possible remake/reboot (Which I honestly support. There are some young actors who could put on the hat) coming sometime in the next year or two.

the special editions are still the same basic story* so if you can’t enjoy the movies on Blu-Ray because of whatever annoying thing George added now... well, I’m sorry, but your Star Wars is dead and there’s NOTHING Disney can do to save it OR ruin it further.

Well. . .that's technically not true, thanks to guys like this:

http://originaltrilogy.com/forum/topic.cfm/Harmys-STAR-WARS-Despecialized-Edition-HD-REMASTERED-is-now-released/topic/12713/

I actually have hi-def, pretty damn close to original Star Wars movies at home. But it is no thanks to Lucas, who seems to want to redo as much as possible, even when (especially when?) it adds nothing to the movie other than a new distraction. I would be pleased as punch to buy official versions to replace them, though, which is something Disney could conceivably give to us. And yeah, I do have a tough time enjoying the "special" editions, because the stupid changes are jarring and take me out of the movies.

ILM used to work for everyone as an uninterested third party. Now that Disney owns them lock stock and barrel, they have a vested interest in making Disney money, which may mean not working for other studios. Disney has Pixar and ILM, arguably the two most powerful movie computer engines on the planet. They're one WETA away from a stacked deck and full monopoly.

Ah, I see. Yeah, that gives them a bit of a monopoly on established big name imaging studios, but I think this may just be a blessing in disguise for the smaller studios that keep getting nudged out by ILM & Pixar. This whole thing is unusual because its like a new species. This new species is going to thrive as a beautiful new creature or die horribly as a mutated freak. I am optimistic. Lucas has been too quirky with a property that I love.

Star Wars Minimates will be like an atomic bomb of awesomeness (more optimism).

Star Wars High, premiering on Disney XD

Scene: Han and Leia's house on Coruscant. Jaina Solo, played byTaylor Swift, is leaving in skimpy metal bikini for a date with Boba Fett's son, Mumbo, played by Taylor Laughtner

Mumbo: Hey Mister S. (audience cheers)

Han (sighing): Just have her home by... Jaina you are not going out in that outfit!

Jaina: Whatever dad, you guys are such hypocrites! Mom made out with Uncle Luke wearing this, and you shot a guy! (audience laughter)

Han: I DID NOT SHOOT A GUY THAT WAS RECONNED! (audience laughter)

C3P0: Master Solo, I seem to have burned the meatloaf!

All: Threepio! (audience laughter and applause)

Edited by Lobsterman

Star Wars High, premiering on Disney XD

Scene: Han and Leia's house on Coruscant. Jaina Solo, played byTaylor Swift, is leaving in skimpy metal bikini for a date with Boba Fett's son, Mumbo, played by Taylor Laughtner

Winner, winner...chicken dinner! whens it start :whistling:

Star Wars High, premiering on Disney XDScene: Han and Leia's house on Coruscant. Jaina Solo, played byTaylor Swift, is leaving in skimpy metal bikini for a date with Boba Fett's son, Mumbo, played by Taylor

Awesome.

Why do y'all think this means anything for toys? Hasbro still owns the master lisence, and there's not enough information about the contracts yet to know if Lucas Arts properties have to stay interdependent or not, like Marvel.

Star Wars High, premiering on Disney XDScene: Han and Leia's house on Coruscant. Jaina Solo, played byTaylor Swift, is leaving in skimpy metal bikini for a date with Boba Fett's son, Mumbo, played by Taylor

Awesome.

Why do y'all think this means anything for toys? Hasbro still owns the master lisence, and there's not enough information about the contracts yet to know if Lucas Arts properties have to stay interdependent or not, like Marvel.

Why did you have to burst my bubble? WHY?!?! I spent the last half an hour daydreaming about a sith display and writing screenplays for sw brick films. Well,hope dies last (yep,it's my moto).

Star Wars is the biggest part of my geek life so this news was big for me. I am happy for pretty much anything new that is Star Wars and if you take George Lucas out of the picture that is great! He made the universe so I am thankful but allowing others to have more creative control will hopefully give it a boost. As an avid reader of the expanded universe I would want to see some of those stories put on film. I have two daughters, Mara Jade and Jaina, and I would love to see movies with those and other EU characters. If they do movies with the big three (Luke, Han, and Leia) the biggest difficulty would be to recast. If we got SW minimates that would make my two favorite things merge and I would be one happy camper! Honestly I think the best thing they could do with a new movie would to be something like KOTOR or Dawn of the Jedi or something like that. Go with something that doesn't already have a film background so that you have a bigger playground to start with. I realize that EU isn't official cannon but so many fans are dedicated to it so I would be sad to have new films ignore or discount those great stories.

Mostly I am excited for new SW anything so yub yub!

No Expanded Universe at all.

On the one hand, I am relieved, because they're not going to frack up my beloved Expanded Universe.

On the other, I just can't bring myself to care. I don't know how to feel. There's no contingency plan for this. At least with Lucas I was consistent in my hatred, and aside from screwing up the Mandalorians just to piss off the fans, he generally left the EU alone. But this...

IDK. Maybe a movie focusing on the Empire, or other characters. It can take place inside SW without focusing on Hal, Leia, Luke or the Jedi. A Rogue Squadron movie maybe? But that's back to the EU.

Edited by TM2 Dinobot