UA-100768763-1 Jump to content

Wave 49 thread

blizzerd

• Replies 114
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i've never read an Iron Man book, either, though i have heard good things about it. but like i said, i really didn't enjoy Fraction's run on X-Men, and it just left a bad taste in my mouth. can't help but wonder if maybe i would've liked it a little better if Land hadn't been the artist... but wasn't he also on Iron Man with Fraction? i'll admit to being mostly on the X-Men side of things. they were all i read growing up, and only started following Avengers titles during Civil War. i feel like Bendis' Avengers stories grew kind of stale, and i dropped them during Fear Itself, which was also when i dropped Avengers Academy. so the X-Men are, again, all that i currently follow at Marvel, but i am gonna read Uncanny Avengers and also give the other new Avengers titles a shot. and for the record, i don't read any DC titles, either (since we're comparing NOW! to new 52)... pretty much all the other books i read are Image titles...

i love how far off topic we are, but i'm enjoying the conversation. :thumbsup:

i've never read an Iron Man book, either, though i have heard good things about it. but like i said, i really didn't enjoy Fraction's run on X-Men, and it just left a bad taste in my mouth. can't help but wonder if maybe i would've liked it a little better if Land hadn't been the artist... but wasn't he also on Iron Man with Fraction? i'll admit to being mostly on the X-Men side of things. they were all i read growing up, and only started following Avengers titles during Civil War. i feel like Bendis' Avengers stories grew kind of stale, and i dropped them during Fear Itself, which was also when i dropped Avengers Academy. so the X-Men are, again, all that i currently follow at Marvel, but i am gonna read Uncanny Avengers and also give the other new Avengers titles a shot. and for the record, i don't read any DC titles, either (since we're comparing NOW! to new 52)... pretty much all the other books i read are Image titles...

i love how far off topic we are, but i'm enjoying the conversation. :thumbsup:

Salvador Larroca was the primary artist with Fracton on Iron Man. I'm not a big fan (I find his need to "cast" actors as the characters weird and distracting), but I like him a lot better then Land. I liked Fracton's Iron Man quite a bit, except for his tendency to fall into the "cool pseudoscience speak" that plagues a lot of comics writers today (primarily Warren Ellis and Mark Millar).

Amazing Spider-Man under Slott has probably been the best Marvel book for the last few years. It's consistently been a good marriage (pun slightly intended) of classic Spidey tropes with modern elements. Once you get beyond how we got here (IE, One More Day), the Brand New Day stuff has been quite good.

I completely understand what you're saying Zach, but I can't shake this feeling that its just another stunt. Marvel for the last decade seems determined to shoot themselves in the foot, asking interesting questions or setting up huge storylines, only to forget all about it three months later. The possible death of a well-known supporting character in the first issue to me seems to support the vibe I'm getting.

It kills me everyone comparing this to DC's New 52. It's the same thing Marvel has been doing for the last few years, just putting a banner on the top of their titles to show the shift in focus after events. After Secret Invasion, we had Dark Reign; after Siege, we had the Heroic Age; now we have Marvel NOW. I'm enjoying that they take it a different direction every once in a while, gives it a fresh feeling. Yes, things will be back to the status quo eventually, it's comics. But if the ride is enjoyable, that's what matters.

Although that last page of Uncanny Avengers.....yikes.

What is the last page issue you speak of, for those who have no intention of reading this story (in spoiler tags, if you please)?

Eh? Eh? ;)

Wow. I haven't thought of that show in probably 15 years, but now the memories come flooding back :lol:

Edited by karamazov80

When looking at those TRU Series 15 figures on marvelousnews, I also noticed what looked to be 5 Wolverine figures - what is this? A new "through the ages?" A 5-pack, or a 4-pack with interchangeable parts?

It's a 4 pack with kimono,venom,ultimate and space wolvie where the space version can be turned into the modern version.

They are taking some really big leaps with that final page in Uncanny Avengers, but I can sort of see where they are going with it. They are really trying to bring in a big reason for both groups to be working together so intertwined, especially with:

Captains America taking part of the blame saying the Avengers could have done more to help the X-men and mutants.

Also it I think its not a huge stretch for those 2 characters to be together because:

Captain America has worked with and along side the X-men several times.

All I'm really saying is I will give it a couple more issues before judging.

Edited by SuperChefMate

I completely understand what you're saying Zach, but I can't shake this feeling that its just another stunt. Marvel for the last decade seems determined to shoot themselves in the foot, asking interesting questions or setting up huge storylines, only to forget all about it three months later. The possible death of a well-known supporting character in the first issue to me seems to support the vibe I'm getting.

I disagree. I think they like to shake up the status quo, but they also let creators who are telling good stories stay with books like Iron Man and Iron Fist and X-Factor for a long time. And I don't see how that youngish-looking dude COULD have been the real version of that character. I assumed it was someone who had been given his powers somehow. And if it was... I don't think the death of such a minor, underutilized character is is anything to rend our clothes about.

• 2 weeks later...

I was over looking at mmdb and noticed they have not done a wolvie wave in a while. I could see an upcoming LCS wave being wolvie related. So, I was thinking of a wave that could be Wolvie related and came up with this:

Blue costume Patch & Tiger Shark

Team x Wolvie & Maverick

Albert & Shiva Robot

Team X Sabretooth & Shiva robot

TRU exclusives

Daken & Madame Hydra

Dog Face Wolverine & Cyber

Just some wishful thinking. It may have too many villains.

I would pay a ridiculous price for a Maverick minimate!

i took it as him committing suicide for the "cause" by jumping off, since Cap seemed more shocked than angry, and yes, even if that didnt kill him, im pretty sure the brain surgery did. I am sad to see one of my favorite X-characters to go that way, but i still loved the issue

What brain surgery? The character on the last page was NOT the character who "died" earlier in the issue