UA-100768763-1 Jump to content

Wave 49 thread

blizzerd

Indeed.

@TM@: yeah, go back a few pages; SuperChefMate had it on the bottom of page 8 or 9.

I wouldn't just assume that this wave will come from this image; remember, there's also the Uncanny Avengers book, the Allred FF book, and several more to draw from. A cornucopia of new costumes. Spidey also has a slightly modified look; in case you missed it, Marvel announced that they're cancelling Amazing and replacing it with "Superior Spider-Man", featuring a darker, more aggressive Spidey. As with everything Marvel's announced for, gosh, a year or so, it sounds like a really bad idea, but Slot's still there, and he's earned a lot of trust with me on Spidey.

Anyway, I'm just going to go out on a limb and predict Rocket Raccoon will be in this wave. He's the only character in the original teaser to never be 'mated, and they obviously have big plans for him (he's going to be in a new GotG book by Bendis and McNiven, for one thing). Iron Man seems like a lock to me, and I think the black armor looks snazzy. Nova and Sue I doubt, if only because we'll be getting an FF wave right before, and a Nova in the wave right after. I'd bet on the new Nick Fury, with an alt Steve Rogers head, or maybe packed with that new Cap so that you can mix and match (DSTRobert's really into giving us little treats like that).

Hey, here's another (much better) Marvel Now! teaser, by Ed McGuinness:

Marvel_NOW!_by_Ed_McGuinness.jpg

I would actually bet on Doop being either wave 49 or TRU wave 16. We've got the Slimer mold. Maybe a short packed Doop/Rocket Raccoon?

• Replies 114
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I wouldn't think we'd get both Doop AND Rocket Raccoon... DST couldn't be THAT kind to us, could they? :biggrin: But one seems like a definite possibility. I'd bet on Rocket going to comic shops, and Doop to TRU (you'll note that TRU tends to get the odder figures, like Lockjaw). I'm going to guess we'll get, in some combination, Iron Man, Cap, Nick Fury (either with an extra head, or packed with Cap), Rogue, Hawkeye, RR, and Captain Marvel (who does have her own book, after all. But you could just as easily do a wave with Thor, Hulk, Cyclops, Iceman, Iron Fist, Doc Strange and Doop... this is gonna be hard.:wacko:

He's not on the top of my list, but an updated Gambit could be nice for folks who missed the first, and now rather rare version. Carol in her new Captain Marvel costume would be great, as would Dr. Strange.

So, on with the guessing. If we have 6 slots plus a variant in wave 49 and maybe another four in TRU wave 16 (big assumption that they'll correspond, but it doesn't seem entirely off-base given recent history):

Wave 49 –

Electric Underpants Hulk

Superior Spider Man

Uncanny Avengers Rogue

Uncanny Avengers Havok

New Captain America

New Falcon

Classic Falcon (variant)

TRU 16–

New Thor

New Hawkeye

Carol Danvers Captain Marvel

Rocket Raccoon

Edited by Lobsterman

Lame? Maybe. Logical? Hell yeah. Remember, DST has to sell these to comic shops first, not just to us. That's why they need to constantly figure out new ways to rehash the core characters. Oddly enough, TRU is a much more open playing field for DST; they'll basically take anything. But if comic shop owners look at a wave and don't think it will do well, they just won't order it. And then we're all f**ked. Tieing the wave to Marvel's big new push (and doing so before Hasbro, I might add) is just smart business. The only thing I'd worry about is that, if Marvel Now is a bomb, then these probably will be too. But we probably won't know that until much later, when there's loads of wave 49 pegwarming. Anyway, I trust the DST guys to do something cool with these to make it worth our while.

still 616, just with some new costumes and teams?

Pretty much. It's Marvel's way of doing a DC-style reboot without doing a DC-style reboot. There's also a bunch of new (non-renumbered) books being launched, and creative shakeups.

Why do some characters get new costumes while others stay the same?

No idea, although I'd kind of like the in-universe reason for so many switching up their costumes at the same time. After all, the characters don't know they're getting new #1s.:lol:

A bunch of characters will be made that haven't been made before.

:wub:

Now, define "bunch"!!! :P

I am gonna say five, but someone will likely argue me down to two.

Is one of them an animal?A raccoon specifically? Anyway here's my wishlist:

superior spider man/iron man

hulk/thor

rocket/starlord

groot/nova

A bunch of characters will be made that haven't been made before.

:wub:

Now, define "bunch"!!! :P

I am gonna say five, but someone will likely argue me down to two.

Guess it is someone from DST that will argue you down to two; we'd be likely to argue you up to eight! :highfive2:

Zach is employing Obi-wan's "from a certain point of view" logic to confuse us with his sorcerer's ways... :starwars:

obi-wan-ghost.png

My interpretation was that Zach would state that there are "five" new characters in the the wave, where we would argue that there are only "two".

So, that would mean he could possibly view the following characters as "new", but we would possibly view them as new versions of existing characters:

- Nick Fury Jr (Nick Fury)

- Captain Marvel (Ms Marvel)

- Legitimately new character #1 (Falcon?)

- Legitimately new character #2 (Warbird?)

That would leave a spot for one more character that WE would view as a rehash.

Edited by youbastards

That's how I read it, too, YB. And I'm really stumped on who else is having an announced character reboot/change in NOW. I guess Marvel hasn't announced everything for it yet, so who knows? Maybe Cyclops becomes X-Face?

Either way, it sounds like there's a lot of good stuff coming in this wave.

---

Ah... maybe Sam Alexander, the "new" Nova?

Edited by Lobsterman

...but it also apparently means Bendis writing a new Guardians of the Galaxy book with Starlord, Rocket, Groot, Gamora, Drax... and Iron Man? Putting him in charge of something like the Avengers where he can actually break important stuff (and has been, repeatedly) can be scary, but for an already-out-there book like Guardians, it could be weirdly awesome.

Edited by Lobsterman

ok for those who are still confused about Marvel NOW, this is not a new universe, it is not along the lines of Ultimate, it is nothing like New 52, what its closest to is the big shift Marvel took after House of M/Civil War...like some big plot twist has caused new team line ups and new costume designs.

based on what ive seen

Benis on Guardians

Slott still on Spiderman

Hickman on Uncanny and New Avengers

Mcguiness doing art for the Nova series

it seems pretty darn great

Well, i mean, NOW! is pretty much New 52 without the backstory changes. New teams, new costumes, new stories, new books, new numbering all for the hell of marketing. Pretty sure when it was announced they said it was to garner new interest in comics. So you can't really say "nothing like the New 52" when it really is.

I MUST get a Captain Marvel out of this (maybe an Aja Hawkeye too). Her book is fantastic and i love the new costume. She needs three hairpieces like Vindicator; one with the mask/helmet, one with the weird McGuinness hair/mullet, one from the interior art that looks feminine and awesome.

new 52 is a new universe separate from the previous continuity, filled with new characters, old characters no longer existing or having entirely different roles, and what seems to be an entirely new multiverse:

I took it as a re-writing, especially with how Flashpoint ended. Flash made it home but several different universe/Earths/storylines combined. Pretty much what happened after Crisis. By that logic we haven't see the "real" DC Universe since before CoIE.

Nick Fury is replaced by his kid. Iron Man is with Guardians. Uncanny Avengers. Loki joins Young Avengers. It's not really that different. All just a market grab.