UA-100768763-1 Jump to content

Wave 49 thread

blizzerd

• Replies 114
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Marvel's trying to have their cake and eat it too. They don't want to look like they are just copying DC by restarting their universe (and, to be fair, a lot of people remain annoyed that DC did that, to say the least), but they're trying to create the semblance of freshness with new costumes, new teams, new numbering, ect ect ect. I think the one way that they are really blowing it, though, is by stretching the "not a relaunch" out over many months. The DC relaunch worked in part because it built up a lot of expectations for that first month, and I don't think the staggered release schedule is going to have the same effect at all.

To Marvel's credit, it does appear that NOW is it least somewhat rationally justified story-wise by the shakeout from AvX. The New 52 had a bit of a "*BOOP* reset button" feel to it.

That's true. Flashpoint doesn't read like it was meant to reset continuity, and it sure as hell wasn't promoted as "this is going to be this really huge thing!!!!!" until well after it began. Really, DC should have done it after Infinite Crisis, when they went the soft reboot route with One Year Later. Marvel Now feels a lot more like OYL then New 52 to me.

Just read Uncanny Avengers #1. Very natural blending of the Avengers and X-Men universes in the wake of AvX. I think NOW is just a way to bring attention to the MU as it undergoes a paradigm shift. Characters get new costumes and teams get new members all the time, they're just doing it all at once and making an event outif it.

I don't blame DST at all for using this new movement as inspiration for a wave of 'mates, my irritation comes from the sheer insincerity on Marvel's part. This seems like such an obvious attempt to copy DC's reboot while still maintaining their attitude of superiority that they didn't have to reboot their universe. Plus, there's also the fact that none of the synopses I've read about Now! sound even remotely like an improvement.

It feels like a cash grab, plain and simple, and I'm tired of events. I just want to read good stories. Say what you will about the New 52, but some good books came out of it. The descriptions I'm reading of Now! sound like more of the same crap that I've been tired of for years.

To Marvel's credit, it does appear that NOW is it least somewhat rationally justified story-wise by the shakeout from AvX. The New 52 had a bit of a "*BOOP* reset button" feel to it.

That's true. Flashpoint doesn't read like it was meant to reset continuity, and it sure as hell wasn't promoted as "this is going to be this really huge thing!!!!!" until well after it began. Really, DC should have done it after Infinite Crisis, when they went the soft reboot route with One Year Later. Marvel Now feels a lot more like OYL then New 52 to me.

thats how I feel too...I honestly prefer this way to the New 52...I have tried and tried to get into more DC books but everytime I think I can something happens and changes a bunch of stuff on me...the new 52 was the last straw for me...I read Green Arrow out of my love for what the character was certainly not what it is now and I might go back for some older DC tpbs but nothing in the new 52 shows anything interesting to me...but that is just me and my 2 cents

and its not that everything in the Marvel NOW jumps up at me but some - note the some - of the changes make more sense to me and feel more flowy....granted the books are not out yet but my gut likes more of what I am seeing here then it did when DC pushed the rest button. I cant wait to read Uncanny Avengers...to me this is like the blend of my younger self - X-Men fan strictly - and my current self - more of an avengers fan - and I look forward to seeing where it goes and the fact that we will get some minimates to go with it while it is still fairly fresh is just the perfect bonus!! (no New 52 mates, they may have helped keep me more interested in it lol)

Jeff of the Miniacs

thats how I feel too...I honestly prefer this way to the New 52...I have tried and tried to get into more DC books but everytime I think I can something happens and changes a bunch of stuff on me...the new 52 was the last straw for me...I read Green Arrow out of my love for what the character was certainly not what it is now...

Jeff of the Miniacs

My feelings exactly. I gave DC a year, despite having reservations about the reboot, and they proved well-founded. I've quit DC and don't plan on going back unless things "change back", more or less. I understand that Marvel is putting a new coat of paint on things and, honestly, that doesn't bother me. I may not be as big a fan of some of the costumes or creative teams as others... but by and large, it's still done with keeping the continuity intact. So we've got action and suspense... but we also have emotional ties to the characters. Which is exactly what DCnU is severely lacking.

i'm looking forward to Marvel NOW. I enjoyed Bendis on Avengers at first, but over the years I feel like he's kind of lost steam on the titles and i quit reading them during Fear Itself; it'll be interesting to see his take on the X-Men. i haven't read Hickman's FF or Fantastic Four, but both are constantly getting high reviews, so i'm looking forward to his run on the Avengers. X-Men Legacy has been telling Rogue's story for a long time, and Legion is such an underused character, i think the relaunch will be something totally different than what we're used to. plus the first few covers revealed have been pretty sweet. i'm not completely sold on either of the X-Force books, though i'll definitely give them both a shot. sure, Storm on X-Force doesn't make sense in theory, considering how openly upset she was when Wolverine's first X-Force team was revealed... but i'm sure the writer knows that as well and will clearly explain her presence on the team. not to mention Rememder has done some great work with Pyslocke, so hopefully that'll continue as she's the lead of the new series. she's deserved her shot in the spotlight for a long time. and hello, new Young Avengers! i've enjoyed pretty much every YA book that's come out over the years, and the team is on the top of my Minimates wish list! and, oh yeah, i have a feeling Uncanny Avengers is gonna be pretty sweet, too. Fraction on the Fantastic Four series...? well, the only real taste i've had of Fraction as a writer was on Uncanny X-Men, and i hated his run (even briefly quit collecting the title; the first time in over 10 years) plus i've never followed the FF, so i'll continue to pass on that...

also, unlike the new 52, not all of Marvel's titles are starting over. X-Factor will remain the same, and... ok off the top of my head that's the only one i can think of lol... but X-Factor is a great title!

They are certainly doing there best to 'shake things up' in the first issue of Uncanny Avengers, aren't they?

Just read it today and was pretty shocked to see

Avalanche used as a suicide bomber

. Bit of a waste of the character IMHO...

The writing is relatively organic - i'm just not sure i want to see characters used in such a fashion.

i took it as him committing suicide for the "cause" by jumping off, since Cap seemed more shocked than angry, and yes, even if that didnt kill him, im pretty sure the brain surgery did. I am sad to see one of my favorite X-characters to go that way, but i still loved the issue

I don't blame DST at all for using this new movement as inspiration for a wave of 'mates, my irritation comes from the sheer insincerity on Marvel's part. This seems like such an obvious attempt to copy DC's reboot while still maintaining their attitude of superiority that they didn't have to reboot their universe. Plus, there's also the fact that none of the synopses I've read about Now! sound even remotely like an improvement.

It feels like a cash grab, plain and simple, and I'm tired of events. I just want to read good stories. Say what you will about the New 52, but some good books came out of it. The descriptions I'm reading of Now! sound like more of the same crap that I've been tired of for years.

Again, it's not really an event so much as a company-wide jumping-on point, and even then it's entirely based on what's come before. I think it's a smart way to get new eyes on books -- which they need to do -- without throwing old readers under the bus, and it seems like old readers will get some interesting new stories out of it. I don't think I've ever seen the two characters on the last page of Uncanny Avengers in the same comic before.

i took it as him committing suicide for the "cause" by jumping off, since Cap seemed more shocked than angry, and yes, even if that didnt kill him, im pretty sure the brain surgery did. I am sad to see one of my favorite X-characters to go that way, but i still loved the issue

well, let's just say he's dead for now... but being that there's no body, we'll likely see him again at some point. he's been greatly under used for years now, tho. i mean, obviously he was never a major character, but he was around much more during the 80s.

Well, the harsh reality is that Marvel really didn't have much choice, Here are the latest sales figures from September:

http://comicsbeat.com/september-sales-dcs-zero-month-gets-a-bump-marvel-has-trouble-breaking-60k/

You'll see that AvX was Marvel's top-selling book by more then a hundred thousand copies. That's astonishing. No other title released in September was able to break more then 60,000 copies (and remember, these are sales to shops, so there's no telling what the sell-through on these is) despite Marvel having their most successful event in years. And I'm sure that Uncanny Avengers did a high number, and the other high profile relaunches will do well (at least initially), but I think the staggered relaunch schedule will ultimately harm them because I don't see how they'll be able to build linewide momentum. That was really the key to the DC relaunch's success: people gave a bunch of comics a try that they probably wouldn't otherwise, and several of them are selling at historically high numbers. Now, several of them crashed and burned, but none as badly as some of the notorious disasters that ultimately defined One Year Later, like Flash and Wonder Woman.

The other problem with Marvel's strategy is that you're essentially tied to the fallout from AvX, and if readers aren't happy with that book (and opinion seems mixed, as is to be expected), you can't be sure they'll want to follow what happens next. That's really the benefit that a full-scale reboot offers; even if readers aren't happy with Flashpoint, it doesn't mean that they won't still check out the new books, since one doesn't necessarily rely on the other. For an example the other way, look at the post-One More Day Amazing Spider-Man, which still struggles to distance itself from that storyline all these years later.

At the end of the day, I just hope the books are good.

Fraction on the Fantastic Four series...? well, the only real taste i've had of Fraction as a writer was on Uncanny X-Men, and i hated his run (even briefly quit collecting the title; the first time in over 10 years) plus i've never followed the FF, so i'll continue to pass on that...

Matt Fraction had a great run on Invincible Iron Man.

Fraction on the Fantastic Four series...? well, the only real taste i've had of Fraction as a writer was on Uncanny X-Men, and i hated his run (even briefly quit collecting the title; the first time in over 10 years) plus i've never followed the FF, so i'll continue to pass on that...

Matt Fraction had a great run on Invincible Iron Man.

Yep as a Iron Man fan I have to say I liked Fraction on IM, and can see his writing style transferring to FF pretty well.

T.