UA-100768763-1 Jump to content

The Wrestling Thread

hellpop

Done!

iJkcdH2GHBccT.gif

I have to admit, I got bored after sitting through this match, the Truth/Axel match, and the Divas match, which were back to back to back, and turned the show off. My wife then took our laptop, which meant I missed the Shield/Rhodes match (the only match on the show I really wanted to see) Punk/Rybeck (doesn't sound great), and Bray/Kofi (sounds pretty bad). I'm totally not on board with the Wyatt family at this point. The gimmick's okay, and I do admit he really sells the character, but his matches have not been good.

But the finish to the main event... THE FINISH TO THE MAIN EVENT...so very bad. The match itself really wasn't all that good. It was fine, but nothing special. So it wasn't like a great match was ruined by a bad finish, which I guess is a plus. But man, was this a rotten show. I don't know how you can have a roster as deep as they do right now and come up with such a bad show. This PPV never should have existed, as it just felt like a stepping stone to Hell in a Cell. Bah.

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

In Your House is a very apt comparison. This card felt full of guys that you'll struggle to remember in five years. "Curtis Axel? Wasn't he someone's kid?"

I did get to watch the Shield/Rhodes match, and it is very good. Far and away the best thing on this sorry show. I hope they build Cody up as ADR's next challenger, building eventually to a Cody/Goldust match at WrestleMania.

Well apparently that won't happen, since we're gonna see ADR against. . .John Cena for the Smackdown title? Speaking of the '90s, I had flashbacks when the Mexican midget wrestler dressed like Mantaur came out with Primo and Epico. I remember fondly midget Vader, midget Golddust, midget Doinks and Jerry Lawlers, and others in the '90s. I was also reminded of all the stupid gimmicks of that decade--garbage man, plumber, hockey goon, NASCAR driver, wrestlers from the future (Techno Team 2000, Max Moon), crazy guitar playing guy, and of course. . .Mantaur. laugh.png Good times.

The whole Matadors gimmick is just... so Vince McMahon. That's all I can say.

Cena coming back early is a shocker, all right. I'm guessing they are rushing him back because ratings are slipping now that football's started up. I can't see them putting the secondary title on him, but I also can't see them putting him over Del Rio, so... I don't know what will happen.

• 3 weeks later...

Well I thought the ending to the PPV tonight was disappointing. How many times can they keep screwing this guy until the fans just get completely fed up. In fact, they did seem pretty disinterested and tired after the ending. If he lost straight up in the ring, fine. But this is 3 times consecutively that he's been hosed.

Yep. I don't have much to add. The match itself really wasn't all that good. I don't know what it is, but Bryan and Orton just haven't clicked in the ring through all this. I'd think that they just have bad chemistry, if I hadn't seen them have better matches on free TV over the summer. But the finish was just too convoluted and lame. I know we're supposed to be outraged that Bryan is screwed once again, but I think you're right that people are just becoming disinterested and tired. Unless this is building to Daniel Bryan vs. Shawn Michaels, I really don't know what the whole point of that finish was.

How do you feel about last night, HP? My first feeling is that they have decided to move on from Daniel Bryan, and push Cena and Big Show now. Which is weird, since you rarely see a face with real fan support not winning out in a feud, particularly when they only lose by being screwed over and over. If this led to a Bryan/Shawn Michaels match, then I would be all for a temporary Big Show push, but I don't see that happening, since I don't think HBK will come back to wrestle. . .though HHH's lack of interest in what went on between those two makes me wonder if there really will be a Michaels/Bryan feud of some kind. I thought the HBK/Bryan face off was FANTASTIC, by the way.

Wyatts attacking Bryan and Punk makes me think they'll be involved in some kind of tag team match at the next PPV? But if so, it's a real waste of Punk and Bryan's time. I was surprised Sandow lost, as I thought Cena would want to be thrust right back into the Raw title picture. Cena accept a role as a secondary champ isn't something I can easily imagine. Kane is now another McMahon enforcer, and they are teasing a SHIELD breakup. Real American beat the Rhodes brothers, so I guess that team will be kept together for awhile, to lose to the Rhodes' in title matches.

Overall I have a hard time seeing where all of this is going. Big Show vs. Orton for the title is about the only thing I'm reasonably sure we'll see soon. Possibly a three way with Bryan involved, though like I said, I fear his chance is gone for the moment.

Edited by karamazov80

I think Cena's happy in a secondary role right now. Plus he's got the added character development of having an injured arm. I figure they'll milk his injury for the next few weeks / months, trying to create suspense that Cena is not 100% and could lose (Spolier: He will not. He is Cena.)

Big Show vs. Orton, with added McMahon drama, looks inevitable.(Big Show feuds with Kane after Orton, maybe?) And I can see Punk / Bryan teaming up against Bray Wyatt & the Family for Survivor Series, because I don't think they have stories for any of them right now. Unless he goes for the title later, Punk especially seems directionless right now.

Personally I look forward to continuing to see the Miz beaten up for just being the Miz. Maybe he can become the new leader of 3MB?

I didn't watch a lot of Raw last night. I was flipping back and forth between that and the World Series, and ended up sticking with the latter. It seems that I missed most of the good parts (like the HBK/Bryan segment, which I will have to go back and watch). But I think you're right, K80, that Bryan is out of the main event picture, inexplicably. It seems obvious now that the reason Big Show was piggybacking on Bryan's momentum was to get him over enough so that he could replace Bryan in that role. Which, yeah, is weird. It really does feel to me like a case of the PTB deciding that they know best, and cooling off the guy the fans are behind (Bryan) so that they can get the guy they really want (Big Show) in that role. So Bryan will be doing a tag team program with Punk against the Wyatts, which will be great, and should serve to elevate the Wyatts, but it sure is a step down for Daniel Bryan.

At some point the WWE is going to have to realize that they need to actually elevate and protect the new guys, and not just build them up to the point that they can be a reasonable threat to the established guys. I mean, look at Rybeck. I was never a fan, but he was over, and could have been on his way to being a real star. Even when they put him against Punk, they still protected him. But then they started beating him all the time, and they turned him heel so that Cena would have someone to beat, and now he's nothing. This has always been my number one complaint against Cena: guys never come out of a program with him better then they were before. Often, guys end up looking worse because Cena beats them so thoroughly. Look at the match with Sandow last night: it was very good, and Sandow came off well, but I never for a second believed he could win. In fact, I couldn't even visualize a scenario in which Damian Sandow would pin or tap out John Cena. Could you? Even if he ripped Cena's bad arm off his body, Cena would have still delivered that one arm AA.

Sorry for the rant, but I'm just a little grumpy about the whole thing this morning. I do look forward to Miz continuing to be beaten up for existing, though.

Agree with you both re: the Miz :D

HBK segment was really great. I thought HBK might have lost almost all of his edge after settling into his home life, but he definitely still has it, and that show down made me want to see those two mix it up, for sure.

I forgot Survivor Series was coming up. I guess Wyatts is better than the McMahon cronies for Bryan and Punk, since it is new, at least. But I just know they are gonna have Miz on their team, and that makes me sad.

Extra super nerdy totally out of left field thought - Who is the 'devil' telling Bray Wyatt to attack Bryan and Punk?

KENTA. He's coming to take back his signature moves, the knee kick and GTS.

(That is about all the Japanese wrestling I know, I saw KENTA on one of his US ROH tours - against Bryan Danielson- back when I was really into it).

Edited by JeffBohn

KENTA is amazing, but McMahon hasn't demonstrated an ability to make an Asian, non-English speaking wrestler work that I can recall off the top of my head. Hakushi, Taka Michinoku et al., Ultimo Dragon, Tajiri, etc. all eventually turned into jobbers and/or second rate comedic acts at some point, if they got on TV at all. I suspect that during their heyday, McMahon wouldn't have been able to make heads or tails of guys like the Great Muta, Jushin Liger, Tiger Mask, or any of the All Japan guys.

Devil is probably McMahon himself. Or maybe, just maybe. . .the Undertaker.

Jake's apparently cleaned up, doing DDP Yoga, and wanting a spot in the Royal Rumble. When I was a kid, Jake was my favorite. I remember going to a house show (the one time my dad took me to a wrestling show) and being super disappointed that Jake didn't make it to wrestle the Honkey Tonk Man.

Jake Roberts being revealed as the man behind Bray Wyatt would be

ah-mah-zing.gif

Jake was a better bad guy than he was a good guy IMO. His real skill was his ability on the mic, to make the crowd like or loathe him, so he could definitely make it work either way. He would fit so well with the Wyatts though, because his dark, heel personality would fit like a glove with what the Wyatts are doing. And his snakes were Lucifer and Damien. I only saw Jake wrestle in person once at an ECW PPV.

Edited by karamazov80

I think he probably would get a face pop, at least at first. Jake was/is one of the few guys that was a natural heel that didn't loose anything when he became a good guy. He was still creepy. But now we were supposed to like that. I don't think I ever did see him, but then again I've only been to like five wrestling shows in my life.

Definitely the highlight of the shows I've been to!

Me and my buddies were really into it for awhile, hit a few WWF/E PPVs in Milwaukee (KoTR 96, Over the Edge 98 Dude Love vs Austin, No Way Out 2002), some ECW shows toward their tail end when they made it to Wisconsin, even a WCW PPV (Mayhem) toward their end. We all still watch a bit, but with nowhere near the enthusiasm (and we have all moved around the state)! I got into RoH for a little while, made a few trips down to Chicago Ridge, but lost interest there also.

Edited by JeffBohn