The Wrestling Thread

hellpop

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Okay, so I haven't really been watching Raw since HIAC, and the Bryan de-push, but when I heard that the main event was Bryan and Punk vs the Shield, well, that I had to check out. And it was great. And, the Shield squaring off against the Wyatt Family was awesome. So, of course, it looked to all the world like we'd get a 6 on 6 match at Survivor Series, with the Shield and the Wyatts on one side, and Punk and Bryan and the Rhodes and the Usos on the other, and it would be great, but according to Bryan Alvarez that's not going to happen. The plan is to have the Wyatts and the Shield have a match at WrestleMania this year, but they've decided to delay the tease for a bit. In fact, apparently they edited the Wyatt/Shield encounter out of the video package of the main event they'll air on Smackdown. So, you know, we did this awesome thing, that the crowd went nuts for... let's not follow it up for six months! The WWE, everyone! gah.gif

Edited by hellpop

Why does that proposed Wrestlemania match mean that the Wyatt and SHIELD vs. good guys match isn't going to happen? I also enjoyed the heel vs. heel conflict. You just don't see enough of that, particularly when you've got two groups that are still relatively fresh and hot, at the peak of their heel-ness.

I guess it's because they don't want to tease the setup so far in advance. I agree with you, have them do the 6 on 6, have the two not get along and loose because of it. Tease some tension between the two over the next few months, but have it explode at the Rumble, when all six of them end up in the ring at the same time (or something). They decide they can't coexist, so they have a match at WrestleMania. Probably a losing group splits up, with the Shield losing. I know, it would suck, because they are awesome, but each one of those guys will be fine on their own. Roman Reigns will be carrying the title by 2014.

I was actually at TRU today, and I don't buy wrestling figures, but I had to pause when I saw the two pack with Rollins and Reigns. If Seth Rollins hair wasn't so godawful I might have picked it up. They also had a Cody Rhodes WITH A MUSTACHE, so I got out of there before I went down a black hole.

So... PPV this weekend. I'm so down on WWE right now that I wasn't planning to watch Raw at all, but I flipped over for a second and saw the scheduled main event match, and I had to check that out. Really good, fun match. Why they gave it away, rather then doing it on the PPV, is a complete mystery. I loved the way the Shield froze the Wyatts out, until they finally came to a bit of an understanding and worked together. The Shield just gets better and better.

This looks like such a lame PPV, though. Orton's winning, probably by cheating. Cena's winning, probably by hustling and loyaltying and respecting. Punk and Bryan are stuck against the B-team. The Survivor Series match should be good, but I don't think it will be as good as the match we saw last night. We'll probably get a IC title rematch... yay. Miz is a heel again, and he'll wrestle Kofi in the grudge match to end all grudge matches... yay. And then there's the 14(!) person Divas match. That alone would make me not pay any money for this.

I really hope this show tanks, and tanks hard, so that maybe the PTB will get it through their heads that it wasn't Daniel Bryan that caused the Summer Slam buyrate to be down, but the shitty storytelling they've been doing.

BTW, did you all hear about AJ fainting at ringside during a tag match due to dehydration? Of course, they have to run an angle involving AJ in which Vicki fakes passing out due to dehydration. Classy.

Yeah. . .I don't think I'll bother tuning in to this one. I also hope it tanks, but McMahon rarely lost money underestimating his audience in the past, so it wouldn't shock me if it had great ratings somehow. Last night's match really should have been the Survivor Series match. I doubt Mysterio is going to mean many buys at this point in his career (if he ever would have mattered that much). I do see Orton and Cena winning. Punk and Bryan would be worth tuning in to see if they were facing, say, the Real Americans. But no.

Of course they made a storyline out of the AJ thing. When has McMahon not done that kind of thing in the past? Recent one was when Ziggler goes out with a concussion, comes back and Orton's trying to kick him in the head.

Broncos 24-0 lead meant I ended up watching the second half of Survivor Series. Stupid Broncos. Anyway, some thoughts, including the shocking ending to the John Cena match....

Just kidding. Usual Cena match. Del Rio works over the arm, Cena overcomes, commentators blather about how amazing Cena is. Blah blah blah.

Punk and Bryan vs the Wyatts was pretty good. It got a "this is awesome" chant, which I don't think it really earned. But it was good. The ROH All-Stars got the win.

The most notable thing about Orton vs Big Show was that the crowd broke out into "Daniel Bryan" chants on more then one occasion, which I was really hoping would happen. They weren't defining, but they were there. What was defining, at one point, was a "boring chant, when Orton had a sleeper on. It just wasn't very good, though I wasn't watching all that closely. Finish had Big Show hitting the big punch with the ref down. Then, HHH's music hits, and the Authority comes out. Big Show is of course distracted, and Orton hits a draping RKO, then follows it up with a punt.

I guess the big news is what happened next, which is that Cena came out, seemingly with the approval of the Authority. He got in the ring and held up his title, and then Randy held up his. It was kind of weird. Is Cena tuning heel? The Authority turning face? Does anyone care to see those two guys go at it?

I hear that the traditional SS match was very good. Roman Reigns stood tall. He's going to be a babyface sooner rather then later.

• 2 weeks later...

I haven't been paying really close attention to WWE recently, but I just saw the promo for the stupid Cena/Orton "unification" match. Apparently the WWE title was the one Bob Backlund, Sammartino, Hogan, Bret Hart, and Eddie Guerrero had, but the "World" title was the NWA title, then also somehow the championship HBK won at WM12 (after showing Bret Hart with the same title referred to as WWE title), the one Austin won at WM14, and the one HHH had later on. They're obviously trying to make this match seem special somehow by suggesting that the traditional WWF and NWA titles are being done away with, but using those examples is just confusing things to me.

Love the Daniel Bryan love tonight. I pray the TLC PPV or whatever it is fails horribly, to show the McMahon's that their hand-picked "superstars" can't carry a PPV any better than anyone else at this point. Sad how Big Show is a very middle of the mid-carder at this point, though he was pushed as the man just a month ago.

Also, I recently started listening to some of Colt Cabana's podcasts, and they are really good. The ones with Austin and Regal were fun and informative.

Edited by karamazov80

I haven't watched Raw in a couple weeks, since that one REALLY bad show they did either right before or right after the last PPV. Sounds like this one had some good moments, so I will have to check it out on Hulu. As for the Slammys, I don't know whether to be more outraged at Cena vs Rock as Match of the Year, or the Bellas as Divas of the year.

Have you listened to Austin's podcast at all? I've only listened to a few shows, but they've been really good. Jericho just started one, and he had Austin on as the first guest (they're on the same podcast network), and that was pretty good as well.

I listened to the one where Austin had Kurt Angle on, and it was OK, but Austin just isn't as entertaining to listen to as Cabana IMO.

The ending to Raw last night was really pretty awesome. At first, I thought it would just be awkward, since all former holders of either title were in the ring, including Big Show, Bryan, and Punk, and they were presumably just there to stand and keep their mouths shut. But then Cena made it into a pseudo shoot, talking about Orton's problem behaviors outside the ring, and talking about why the fans supported Daniel Bryan. The audience was obviously totally against both guys, but Cena found a way to get them firmly behind them, and it was awesome. Watch the replay and see for yourself, but I definitely felt a bit optimistic about the future after all was said and done.

As for match of the year, it only won because of the Rock's involvement, but there was really no viable contender to beat it. If any major Bryan match was nominated, I'm fairly confident the fans would have voted for it instead.

Edited by karamazov80

Punk/Lesnar was the Match of the Year, IMHO.

I'll definitely check out the closing segment; I also want to see the opening with Bryan and the Punk/Ambrose match. There's also a video floating around of post-show Spineroonies, and if I find it I'll post it here.